• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Lord Of The Rings ???

How many people saw The Lord Of The Rings ? This movie had allot of spiritual overtones in it . Did anyone try to use this movie to explain the battle of good and evil to any unbelievers ? What did you think of the movie if you did see it ? Brother Mike :love: :boy_hug:

personally i couldnt finish any of the 3 movies.. they were just not my speed at all and couldnt hold my attention for more then 1hr at a time.. :embarasse

Ive seen all 3 parts of the movies....I thought they were very good....
Someone I know(a Christian)told other people and me how you can look at it as a christian...I thought it was interesting...

Thanks for responding . Many christians have used this movie only to explain the war between good and evil to unbelievers . As long as it leads them to accept Jesus , I guess it's good ? GBU All Brother Mike :love: :boy_hug:

Well I couldnt watch it very long- Inside I just didnt feel right. People say this guy is like Jesus because he is good trying to go away with evil like the devil. There are a lot of shows that try to portray good over evil. But I dont see anything in it what points to the true gospel of Christ or to get them saved. JEsus isnt even mentioned. To me its like most things on tv or movies- they just throw in a little "religion" or ethical theme to get Christians to watch it. Its not scriptural. But thats just my opnion

Made me sick as a dog. I wont go into detail but it involved a night in the hospital.The movie pollutes childrens minds.ENOUGH SAID JHS CHRISTAN

I read "the hobbit"and"the lord of the rings"many years ago and was quite excited at the prospect of a film version.Having watched it (and enjoyed it)i would say the only value it has is entertainment value.Years before the film was made it was commented by literary critics that the books had all sorts of hidden meanings.Some say "lord of the rings"was actually loosely based on the bible,the fight between good and bad,gandalf seeming to die and then come back to life,borimor being tempted etc.In the same breath the books also portrayed the industrilisation of britain which tolkein felt strongly about.Personally i would not use the film as a way of witnessing because of the other things contained therein.Magic,pretty gruesome violence,mythical
creatures and the worlds destiny luying in the hands of men rather than god!
The bible is all i need to reson with people thankyou very much.Can you imagine if they made a film of that?A cast of thousands,giants,floods,betrayal,murder,wild beasts(seven headed dragons),love,wars and the ultimate fight betwwen good and evil.That would truly be a blockbuster!
ps-(no car chases though)

My son- who is 16 - & I watched them together. He saw the spiritual overtones without me pointing them out - actually he pointed a few out to me!! I truly enjoyed them all.

Sorry Big Brother I would have told unbelievers except.......................................... I kinda hid under the blankets when I watched it. I still want to see it though. I did see the end of the second movie though.

I have seen some part before I was born again Christian. I would not watch it now though.

I've seen all of LOTR and I rather liked them, I don't think they have/had affected my relationship with "Father"

I have seen the movies and I could see how someone could adequate it to Good vs Evil but there are many books that can also do that as well.

I love Lord of the Rings. I believe that, as a Christian, the author probably couldn't help but include many parallels with the Bible, but I have never thought of it as being meant to convey the gospel. i would never use it to explain anything to unbelievers, but it is an enjoyable set of films in which good triumphs over evil, and where the crown is eventually restored to it's rightful heir. I doubt that any of the characters is supposed to represent Jesus, but, as I said, it can be hard for a Christian writer not to include aspects of scripture in both their character profiles and the general story-line. I like this, as it gives each person the opportunity to read into it what they want to. i know I certainly watch it from a scriptural perspective, and rejoice in what the story brings to memory from the Word.
Each person should rely on how the holy spirit reacts inside them. But thewy should also never judge anyone else for feeling differently about it. Paul said that what one person has the faith to do, another does not, but that neither should judge the other. He also said anything that does not come from faith is sin, so if someone watches it, feeling that it is wrong, then they are sinning. And if anyone causes a brother to sin, by watching it in front of someone without the faith to do so, or if by watching it they upset a brother, then they sin.
So it's not so much a spiritual debate as it is a personal choice, with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, with love for your brother in Christ.