• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Little white lies?

Administrator
Staff Member
We've all lied before, probably every day (or almost). Lies are lies. Little white lies are accepted by the world / society as just that, little. What does GOD have to say about lies?

John 8:44

"You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Is this enough? Satan is the father of lies.

GOD hates lies.

Consider your words and actions. Be careful with your tongue.

Chad said:
Consider your words and actions. Be careful with your tongue.
true
i have found your tounge is always getting you into trouble or at least mine is
it says if your tounge causes you to sin cut it off and i dont think that any of us want to do that. and what the heart is filled with the mouth shall confes...

great post chad!!

i used to think that white lies were ok in certain situations but then god convicted me on that. i used to think that white lies were ok if it got you out of trouble where it would have been unreasonable but then god made me realise that i need to be adult about things and take the responsibility!! no lie is a good lie, all lies are bad!! im so glad go convicted me on that

Don't hurt someone's feelings

If a friend bought you a present and they asked how do you like it.

If someone cooked dinner for you.

If someone ask you if what they are wearing looks nice.

I'm sure many of us have been in a situation where you had to give a response.

I'm sure alot of us aren't going to be blunt about something.

Just something to think about.

I think i would find something genuine i like about a gift if i don't care for it, like if it was a book you could say,
"you know how much i love books". This statement would be true for me, Or maybe you could say " thank you for being so thoughtful, it was very kind of you" because you are thanking them for the thought not the gift.

If someone cooked dinner for you is a tricky one indeed...oo what would i say?...probably pray and hope i could eat it...i would rather be ill than hurt someones feelings over a meal..oo but what if i were ill in their house?...hmm tricky one.

What they are wearing, again i would have to find SOMETHING i liked about it or if it was a good friend they usually look at my face, laugh and say, you hate it don't you..lol..especially if they say "do you like my new dress?" and i reply, "I like the frilly bit on the collar" or something small like that...lol

Sometimes i guess there is just no way round something and you have to apologize a lot and feel really bad but say it as it is, just plain.

Administrator
Staff Member
Theosebes I'm with you on this. Sometimes its better to take the burden if I may say and just try to work around it instead of hurting someone's feelings. Nonetheless, we STILL must be truthful and honest to the person.

No matter how hard it is, remember that our GOD is a spirit of Truth.

John 16:13
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

Any lie is a lie . We need to understand the truth in that . Lying is both spiritual and habitual in it's nature . Let our yes be yes , and our no be no . If I was a better lier , I would still have allot of friends . lol . Mike

Administrator
Staff Member
Maybe this will set a good example of how much GOD hates lies

Acts: 5:2-6

2With his wife's full knowledge he kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles' feet.

3Then Peter said, "Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land?

4Didn't it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn't the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied to men but to God."

5When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard what had happened.

6Then the young men came forward, wrapped up his body, and carried him out and buried him.

Administrator
Staff Member
Acts is the NT era. I used that Scripture as an example of what would happen if you lied directly to the Holy Spirit.

So it shows you that lying is clearly not acceptable to GOD.

On second thoughts

I carried on thinking about this thread long after i left the site today. It is so good, and challenging!

I know being deceitful and lying are both lying but is deceitful rather more misleading someone? so it is still lying but with a slightly more seductive edge to it.

If so, would saying things like "you know how much i love books", (when you don't like that particular book) constitute as being deceitful?

Golly! I learn so much here.

Administrator
Staff Member
Sister Theosebes. As you know GOD said we must walk in Truth. This includes talking Truth. If it hurts someone's feelings, figure a way to word your Truth without the effect of hurting their feelings (receiving gifts you dislike or eating their food for example).

Its all about truth. GOD is Truth, we must speak Truth. Does GOD hide Truth, His honest feelings from us at all? We must also be straighforward and honest the same.

ive learnt the hard way about white lies and i felt so ashamed for it but atleast it taught me a valuable lesson....white lies are no good!! lies at the time might seem like they get you out of a situation, one thing ive learnt is that you need to be resposible for your actions and not cover up with lies (because thats the major reason people lie usually). also on the other side of white lies you need to tell people the truth and give an honest opinion, a lot of people are afraid of confrontation but its something that has to happen because god has called us to be peace makers not peace keepers

Lying is lying, regardless of its' color. There are no "grey areas" with God. He is definitely black and/or white. He sets the standards, He doesn't lie to us because He is ultimate TRUTH...because we are "...in Christ..." we should strive to follow His example; however, we will continue to fall short. In our humanity, we continue to sin and make wrong choices, but God understands our make-up and is ready and willing to forgive...1 John 1:8-10, "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he s faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us." Thank God for His love grace, mercy, and forgiveness!!!

Last edited:
Chad said:
Maybe this will set a good example of how much GOD hates lies

Acts: 5:2-6

2With his wife's full knowledge he kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles' feet.

3Then Peter said, "Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land?

4Didn't it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn't the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied to men but to God."

5When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard what had happened.

6Then the young men came forward, wrapped up his body, and carried him out and buried him.
While a lie is a lie, there is a difference sometimes in God's reaction to the lie. We have to look at the situation in which Ananias and Sapphira carried out their deceit. The NT Church was just being formed and as such, was very fragile; its members being only recently "graduated" from a culture in which such deceit was commonplace. God had to act quickly and forcefully so that the new Christians would not succumb to the notion that such a practice might be o.k.

Administrator
Staff Member
I felt the need to bump up this old thread. I own my own business and deal with a lot of liars and exagerations (from customers). I have also been tempted plenty enough to revenge on those that hurt me with their gimmicks and evil ways. I try not to. Most of the time I pass. Sometimes I need to express my frustration.

I hope those reading and re-reading this thread will get in check with themselves.

Rember this one thing: SATAN IS THE *FATHER* OF LIES.

I find this interesting cause when I was quite young and just started my first full time job I remember a co worker saying a christian can never be a business man to be honest still being fairly young I didn't get what he was saying but later it did dawn on me cause the manager of this business was a christian and what he meant was that as a businessman he (the manager) has to(or did) lie or not be completely honest so a sinner will think how christian-like is that??
I have been in contact with christians (I am not myself!) and they have lied many times. I feel I am a honest person and I really cannot look someone straight in the eye and lie but at the same time not saying I have been 100% honest cause there are times I haven't been totally forthright or wormed around something.
But when a christian lies to me eyeball to eyeball I'm really taken back and no matter how many times it happens I'm still shocked and I've said to a person you're telling a lie and they will say no I'm not and explain how they aren't but it's just a way to get around it and I think boy you are going to have to account for that some day.
Actually this isn't what I mean to say when I got here but I have a question what do you think when christians are planning a surprise party and have to be dishonest to the person in question is that the same? Cause I remember this happening with christians and they have said I had to tell so many lies I just hope the Lord well understand and forgive me (well we know he will)? Just curious what the take on that is here?????thanx

Last edited:
Secretive:
Have you ever seen the bumper sticker that says, "Christians aren't perfect -----just forgiven!"?

No truly honest Christian could ever claim to have never lied. We often succumb to the temptation to lie under pressure from the world around us. And yes, we strive to justify our actions. But, when we surrendered our wills and our lives to the care of Jesus Christ, we opened ourselves up to His leadership and empowering in our lives.

This means that when we sin, He can speak conviction into our hearts and we can respond by sincerely repenting with the result that we are forgiven through His sacrifice on Calvary. He paid the full price for our sin. "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish (spiritually) but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that through Him the world might be saved." (John 3:16-17).

SLE

Yes I do realized christians aren't perfect but when I was a teenager someone in my family got saved and I was very naive about christians I thought they had to be perfect and when this person got saved and wasn't perfect I was really totally taken back I thought this isn't right? But as I said I very unrealistic then. I understand christians aren't perfect that every day they sin cause we are all imperfect humans but I do have a problem with christians who deliberating and continuely lie. I mean if a christians lies or is unfaithful or whatever then repents but continues to do it again I mean they know it isn't right and should have learn from it. I think if I was a christian and was consciously aware of something I was doing wrong I would try to correct it (with God's help of course)
Maybe this is why I'm not a christian I will expect too much of myself. LOL