• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Light unto the World

Staff Member
"In the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world."—Philippians 2:15.

We use lights to make manifest. A Christian man should so shine in his life, that a person could not live with him a week without knowing the gospel. His conversation should be such that all who are about him should clearly perceive whose he is, and whom he serves; and should see the image of Jesus reflected in his daily actions.

Lights are intended for guidance. We are to help those around us who are in the dark. We are to hold forth to them the Word of life. We are to point sinners to the Saviour, and the weary to a divine resting-place. Men sometimes read their Bibles, and fail to understand them; we should be ready, like Philip, to instruct the inquirer in the meaning of God's Word, the way of salvation, and the life of godliness.

Lights are also used for warning. On our rocks and shoals a light-house is sure to be erected. Christian men should know that there are many false lights shown everywhere in the world, and therefore the right light is needed. The wreckers of Satan are always abroad, tempting the ungodly to sin under the name of pleasure; they hoist the wrong light, be it ours to put up the true light upon every dangerous rock, to point out every sin, and tell what it leads to, that so we may be clear of the blood of all men, shining as lights in the world.

Lights also have a very cheering influence, and so have Christians. A Christian ought to be a comforter, with kind words on his lips, and sympathy in his heart; he should carry sunshine wherever he goes, and diffuse happiness around him.

Gracious Spirit dwell with me; I myself would gracious be,
And with words that help and heal Would thy life in mine reveal,
And with actions bold and meek Would for Christ my Saviour speak.​

Charles Spurgeon

Loyal
Amen,
Although I admit, I am reminded of a sermon about "black lights".
A black-light still gives a little light. But generally some of the things it is "shining" on will give off more light
that the black-light itself.
There are those spreading a false "light".

Staff Member
Thanks for sharing Brother.
I do believe that lighting as we know it now. Was not around during our Brother Spurgeon's day! :)
He might have very well come up with either more variations or another sermon entirely!

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Active
Praise God; Amen

We can do nothing against the truth, but for the truth.

The Holy Ghost uses all things to point to the Light. I am confident in my Lord. He never leaves us nor forsakes us. Praise God for it.

Active
We must also keep in remembrance who the credit and glory must go to, and it is not us, though it may be our light and our good works:

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 5:16)

Loyal
Luke 11:34 The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness.
Luke 11:35 Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness.
Luke 11:36 If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light.

Jesus called "darkness" a light. The light of darkness brings "blindness" while the light of God brings "vision"

Active
Luke 11:34 The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness.
Luke 11:35 Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness.
Luke 11:36 If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light.

Jesus called "darkness" a light. The light of darkness brings "blindness" while the light of God brings "vision"
I remembered quick some time ago the Lord had me to bring these very scriptures to the table and said I had never thought of darkness as a form of light. Oh how I was ridiculed because of this statement. So blessed to see the manifestation of the Spirit in the flesh. Some of studied to show themselves approved as well. Praise God for it.

Darkness is indeed a form of light; Even darkness bares witness of the Light, if one can receive it. All God's creation points to the Light.
What communion have light with darkness? To be a light in all their darkness; by speaking forth the Light, darkness flees away; spiritually, sometimes physically too.

Be a light unto those in darkness; it doesn't matter if they receive us or not, God receives us; I assure you His Word will not return to Him void. Amen

Loyal
"If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.

Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee." Psalm 139:11-12

Loyal
"If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.

Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee." Psalm 139:11-12
The Lord must have "night vision" goggles!! :)

Loyal
The Lord must have "night vision" goggles!! :)
Or the Lord being the Light has no need of special lenses, whereas men too often have closed the eyes which God has given them. Or they have failed to apply the eye salve made available to them [Rev 2:18].