• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Liars

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:10)

Loyal
Sometimes, you hear the phrase... "thou shalt not lie".

In Exodus 20 (the 10 commandmenst) it is phrased this way.

Exod 20:16; "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

In Pauls first letter to Timothy , he lumps liars together with homosexuals and murderers.

1 Tim 1:9; realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers
1 Tim 1:10; and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching,

in Revelation, God says...

Rev 21:7; "He who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My son.
Rev 21:8; "But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

Jesus said the father of people who lie is Satan.

John 8:44; "You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

What is a lie? The opposite of the truth. Some people say the lie has to be "intentional" deceit. But the Bible simply says any untruth, intentional or not is a lie.

Rom 1:25; For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

Col 3:9; Do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices,

John says if we keep on practicing and licing in sin, and say we belong to Jesus... we are "liars".

1 Jn 1:6; If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth;

I notice in the Bible a lie is a lie. A lie is sin. The Bible doesn't make allowances for "little white lies". A lie is a lie is a lie is a lie.

Sometimes we believe lies in ignorance, but even so.. we should be seeking the truth.

John 8:32; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

It is the truth that sets us free.... yet many people prefer "the lie".

Jesus said the reason He was born, was the testify to "the truth".

John 18:37; Therefore Pilate said to Him, "So You are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice."

It seems in the world today, lying acceptable. Just fudge a little on your income taxes, just cheat a little on your time card at work. Just exaggerate a little here and there... These things are lies.

Probably just about all of us have told a lie at least one time or another in our lives. I know I have. But are you a "liar". Do you lie about things frequently? Are you living a lie? (i.e. We aren't really married yet, but we tell people we are)

Just remember, when the New Jerusalem comes down...

Rev 21:27; and nothing unclean, and no one who practices abomination and lying, shall ever come into it, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life.
Rev 22:15; Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying.

This is all a given isn't it? Why would you post this to the forum? Are you concerned about this issue here?

Loyal
This is all a given isn't it? Why would you post this to the forum? Are you concerned about this issue here?
Why would you question a Brothers Post?

Christians are not exempt from lying. Far to many do not seriously grasp how dangerous and evil ALL LIES are.

Blessings

Why would you question a Brothers Post?

Christians are not exempt from lying. Far to many do not seriously grasp how dangerous and evil ALL LIES are.

Blessings
1 Thessalonians 5:19-21 Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good.

Why would you think someone is not entitled to question someone's post?
I never once stated we are not exempt from lying. However, we should be. And to think we are able to lie is not a good testimony for those who are redeemed in Christ.

Loyal
What is a lie? The opposite of the truth. Some people say the lie has to be "intentional" deceit. But the Bible simply says any untruth, intentional or not is a lie.

This is something I have to be more careful about, speaking with out thinking, sometimes I will say something thinking I am right, later to find out I should of not said anything because I was wrong, I have often wondered if that was considered a lie or not.

I think this is discipline and self control, that has to be practiced, I so often speak before I think, I am just glad I am finally aware of it so I can work on it.

great topic brother

Active
A lie is a sin but all sin has degrees. We are to discern properly.

Paul carried on sinning but he did not carry on murdering Christians. By making sin = sin, you are doing damage to the gospel.

Pauls says in 1 Cor 6:1-9 that we can and must judge matters better then the unsaved. The unsaved can discern differing punishments for differing lies. We can't?

Imagine Judas lied about the whereabouts of Jesus.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sue J Love Evidence & Prophecy 5
R Jokes & Bible Trivia 8