• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Letting children decide for themselves about religion

My husband and I had been brought up by Biblical literalist parents who believed that you had to be 'saved' in order to go to heaven, the alternative was burning in hell! We both got 'saved' whilst we were kids, having had religion forced down our throats, but lost our faith by the time we married in 1969, when my husband was 22 and I was 19. The doubts were overwhelming and we couldn't ignore them. My childhood would have been wonderful if religion hadn't intruded, we were comfortably off and lived on a small island surrounded by sun and sea. Being frequently told one would burn in hell was the stuff of horrible nightmares, and abusive!

When we married we decided that our children would not be influenced by our unbelief and they could decide the matter for themselves. Our girls decided the Christian faith had something to offer them, but fortunately from our point of view, they are moderate in their beliefs and not Biblical literalists. The eldest is an Anglican Priest and she is well thought of in her Parish. She doesn't tell people what they should be thinking, she just shares her take on faith during her sermons, which is far the best way, in my opinion.

Loyal
Religion and faith are one and the same!

Religion is what you say you believe. Faith is what you show you believe by your actions.
Religion can be liturgical ceremonies, traditions, catechisms, and readings from certain "religious" books.
But these things have very little to do with faith.

Faith is how you act upon what you believe.

Religion is what you say you believe. Faith is what you show you believe by your actions.
Religion can be liturgical ceremonies, traditions, catechisms, and readings from certain "religious" books.
But these things have very little to do with faith.

Faith is how you act upon what you believe.

Christianity is a religion with many dogmas, doctrines, sects and cults. Some are benign, some are very abusive as I know to my cost!

Loyal
Christianity is a religion with many dogmas, doctrines, sects and cults. Some are benign, some are very abusive as I know to my cost!
Maybe so... there is much religious hypocrisy and bad practices out there. And as an outsider looking in I think that the U.S. is pretty whacko in much of
its religious zealotry.
The problem is not to throw out the baby with the bath water. Go back to you Bible and start reading the Gospels. Be refreshed in the simplicity and excellence of
Jesus' teachings. Start measuring yourself against the Word of God. It will challenge you.
Also note that it is Jesus himself that preaches and warns us on the real dangers of hell and perdition; more so than anyone else.
Choosing life as opposed to death is the fundamental purpose of life and morality - it is unavoidable.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life,
and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
John 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Bad religious parenting is unhelpful and often wounds children. But Jesus is able to heal our hearts and our souls through the truth of his Word and through
the Spirit of truth - the Holy Spirit. Read the Gospels and start your healing.

Staff Member
I would answer this but under another thread, it's kind of covering the same ground over again.
If you'd like @Bluecheese I can create a new thread and combine both of the thread postings. This way you won't have to attempt to reply to different threads dealing which are basically dealing with the same basic subject.

Can do for you. Just let me know.
C4E
<><

Active
I want my daughter to live a healthy life. I want to give my daughter what I didn't have, things I can afford that my mom couldn't. I'd like her to have the best. I also want her to have the best gift any parent can give & that is introducing her to the Jesus I know. What he does with the seed is between her & him. It's NOT about today, it's about our eternity.

Her dad is a Satanist so she's got views from both sides. God is all powerful & because of him, I have no fear.

Hi Lord knows I don't know u at all but you sound like you are definitely doing the right thing and introducing your daughter to the Lord is the best gift you can give x you know you are giving the best gift and you sound a great mom and this from me who doesn't and can't have children
God bless David x

Active
Hey David, I try my best. My daughter is so cool & reminds me of me BUT it is trial & error being a parent. I only have the one because kids are VERY EXPENSIVE. God must have other plans for your life. I think we all want something more once we learn we can't have it. Thank you for the compliment.

Active

No...Christianity is not a religion. It is a relationship we have with the living God through His Son, Jesus Christ.

Further, allowing our children to decide for themselves about matters of faith is the hugest cop-out parents can make. We are instructed by God to teach them early the things of God so that they will know Him early, and put their trust in Him, so that their lives will be fruitful and blessed by God. God loves them and wants them to know Him. He is our perfect Father, and He is all about family.

Who is anyone (who claims to know God) to think that knowing Him is an option????

May I say Lord knows I always enjoy reading your posts aswell they are very spiritual and uplifting after a day at work and thanks for tips on smoking see other topic Bless David :)