• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

John Wycliffe

The first hand-written English language Bible manuscripts were produced in 1380's AD by John Wycliffe, an Oxford professor, scholar, and theologian. Wycliffe, (also spelled “Wycliff” & “Wyclif”), was well-known throughout Europe for his opposition to the teaching of the organized Church, which he believed to be contrary to the Bible. With the help of his followers, called the Lollards, and his assistant Purvey, and many other faithful scribes, Wycliffe produced dozens of English language manuscript copies of the scriptures. They were translated out of the Latin Vulgate, which was the only source text available to Wycliffe. The Pope was so infuriated by his teachings and his translation of the Bible into English, that 44 years after Wycliffe had died, he ordered the bones to be dug-up, crushed, and scattered in the river!

Wycliffe

Hello, Yes, I have read Wycliffe's life and seen a movie about him. I think that people forget the great history of the scriptures and how they were given to us through much effort especially during his time, as they had no printing press. I am so grateful for the work done by Wycliffe and his translators.

It is amazing the anger that was shown against him for translating the Bible. Today we have so many Bibles and so few people really read them. I like the King James Version the best, as I like to memorize scripture and this is the easiest one to memorize.

Again I thank God for the godly men before us that translated by hand the scriptures so that we can have them today. I stand for the scriptures alone, nothing added. If it is not in the scriptures and interpreted by the Holy Spirit I cannot accept it.

What do others think today of the attitude of the Roman Catholic Church regarding the scriptures.??

Excellent post Chat. Have you seen the "Berean Beacon" site by a former Roman Catholic Priest? It is excellent. We must cling to the Reformation gopsel of Jesus alone!! Thank you for your post. I like the site, and hope to post regularly. I am thankful to find a place to post of Jesus alone!! He alone deserves the glory for our salvation!!

RaynaRenee said:
Hello, Yes, I have read Wycliffe's life and seen a movie about him. I think that people forget the great history of the scriptures and how they were given to us through much effort especially during his time, as they had no printing press. I am so grateful for the work done by Wycliffe and his translators.
It is amazing the anger that was shown against him for translating the Bible. Today we have so many Bibles and so few people really read them. I like the King James Version the best, as I like to memorize scripture and this is the easiest one to memorize.
Again I thank God for the godly men before us that translated by hand the scriptures so that we can have them today. I stand for the scriptures alone, nothing added. If it is not in the scriptures and interpreted by the Holy Spirit I cannot accept it.
What do others think today of the attitude of the Roman Catholic Church regarding the scriptures.??

I dont think I can give my opinion on that really.
Firstly because I need to learn more about the roman Catholic Church and ther readings of the bible, although I did take a class on it. I still dont know to much about it.
I would say, that way back during those times of John Wycliffe and Martin Luther, that they may have used the scriptures for there own power. What I mean by that is that They barly used the bible in the prists teachings and if they did so-they would use it to there advantece, as, so.."If you dont buy our tithes you will surily burn in hell as it says in Revelations..." and so on. Thats what I have read though, Im not sure if im reading it correct.
Anyways-Thanks for the questoin.

LOVE IN CHRIST
Janelle