• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Jesus warned them.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Matt 9:27; As Jesus went on from there, two blind men followed Him, crying out, "Have mercy on us, Son of David!"
Matt 9:28; When He entered the house, the blind men came up to Him, and Jesus *said to them, "Do you believe that I am able to do this?" They *said to Him, "Yes, Lord."
Matt 9:29; Then He touched their eyes, saying, "It shall be done to you according to your faith."
Matt 9:30; And their eyes were opened. And Jesus sternly warned them: "See that no one knows about this!"
Matt 9:31; But they went out and spread the news about Him throughout all that land.

Of course there are many more things Jesus warned people about.
But in this passage, two blind men come to Jesus to be healed. But before He heals them, He asks
them if they believe He can do it. I wonder if some people come to Jesus not really believing He can
do what they are going to ask of Him?

I think it's interesting that Jesus says.. "It shall be done, ...according to YOUR faith".
In other words, if they didn't really have faith He could do this, they wouldn't have been healed.
But they are healed and their eyes are "opened".

I notice is says here.. "Jesus sternly warned them" no to tell anybody what He did for them.
He didn't just warn them, He "sternly" warned them. But of course they were so happy they could
see they went around telling everyone what He did for them.

But I'm curious, there are several verses like...

Matt 12:15 But Jesus, aware of this, withdrew from there. Many followed Him, and He healed them all,
Matt 12:16 and warned them not to tell who He was.

Mark 3:11; Whenever the unclean spirits saw Him, they would fall down before Him and shout, "You are the Son of God!"
Mark 3:12; And He earnestly warned them not to tell who He was.

I've always wondered why Jesus didn't want people to tell others who He was.
Part of the answer may be here.

Luke 9:18; And it happened that while He was praying alone, the disciples were with Him, and He questioned them, saying, "Who do the people say that I am?"
Luke 9:19; They answered and said, "John the Baptist, and others say Elijah; but others, that one of the prophets of old has risen again."
Luke 9:20; And He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" And Peter answered and said, "The Christ of God."
Luke 9:21; But He warned them and instructed them not to tell this to anyone,
Luke 9:22; saying, "The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed and be raised up on the third day."

He had to suffer and be rejected, and be killed... He knew this was going to happen in advance.

Luke 22:67; "If You are the Christ, tell us." But He said to them, "If I tell you, you will not believe;

Staff Member
I wonder if some people come to Jesus not really believing He can
Not only what they are asking of Him, but also what He has said He will actually do!!

I'm curious. As I was reading your post. Mark 10:35-40 on the request made by James & John came to mind. What are your thoughts as it relates to this topic?

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Loyal
I'm curious. As I was reading your post. Mark 10:35-40 on the request made by James & John came to mind. What are your thoughts as it relates to this topic?
I've always taken Jesus's question about being baptized the same way He was, and drinking the same cup He
drank up as a reference to the type of death He knew was coming for Him. So that's really the only correlation I see
here. We know that James died for his faith ( Acts 12:2; ) but the death of John is not recorded in the Bible.

Staff Member
So that's really the only correlation I see
here. We know that James died for his faith
Let's see if I can make it clearer.

I wonder if some people come to Jesus not really believing He can
You were wondering if some come to Jesus not really believing He can do what they are going to ask of Him. I was curious how you took James & John asking the Lord to be seated on either side of the Lord. Did they come to Him believing that He could or would do as they asked?

With the Love Jesus Christ.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Loyal
I think they thought He "could". But the purpose of their question, was to find out if He "would".

But Jesus tells them, this isn't something that is His to give. So the answer to their question
was really "I can't, because it's not up to me".

Staff Member
With John and James in mind. Do you think that it is possible to bring our supplications before God with a right belief, but it still does not happen; not due to lack of belief on the part of the supplicant, but that it is outside His will for us?

Loyal
With John and James in mind. Do you think that it is possible to bring our supplications before God with a right belief, but it still does not happen; not due to lack of belief on the part of the supplicant, but that it is outside His will for us?
Yes, definitely that happens sometimes.

Staff Member
@BAC

Ultimately I believe that full submission to His will even as we bring supplications before Him becomes the fulfillment of our desires. To please Him. For it is only in and through Him that we can ever be completely satisfied in all aspects of life. For He is Life, Love, all that is Good.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and allowing me to share mine with you brother.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Loyal
But in this passage, two blind men come to Jesus to be healed. But before He heals them, He asks
them if they believe He can do it. I wonder if some people come to Jesus not really believing He can
"And one of the multitude answered and said, Master, I have brought unto thee my son, which hath a dumb spirit;

And wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: and he foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth away: and I spake to thy disciples that they should cast him out; and they could not.

He answereth him, and saith, O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him unto me.

And they brought him unto him: and when he saw him, straightway the spirit tare him; and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming.

And he asked his father, How long is it ago since this came unto him? And he said, Of a child.

And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us.

Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him." Mark 9:17-25

I man did believe but he recognized that his belief was weak, perhaps too weak, so he asked for help:

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:" Matt 7:7

So then should we not ask God to help us with our unbelief we have doubts?

Matt 12:16 and warned them not to tell who He was.

Mark 3:11; Whenever the unclean spirits saw Him, they would fall down before Him and shout, "You are the Son of God!"
Mark 3:12; And He earnestly warned them not to tell who He was.

I've always wondered why Jesus didn't want people to tell others who He was.
Part of the answer may be here.

Luke 9:18; And it happened that while He was praying alone, the disciples were with Him, and He questioned them, saying, "Who do the people say that I am?"
Luke 9:19; They answered and said, "John the Baptist, and others say Elijah; but others, that one of the prophets of old has risen again."
Luke 9:20; And He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" And Peter answered and said, "The Christ of God."
Luke 9:21; But He warned them and instructed them not to tell this to anyone,
Luke 9:22; saying, "The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed and be raised up on the third day."

He had to suffer and be rejected, and be killed... He knew this was going to happen in advance.

Luke 22:67; "If You are the Christ, tell us." But He said to them, "If I tell you, you will not believe;
And should we not also consider in this why it was that not everyone could understand the meaning of his parables?

"And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear." Mat 13:10-16