• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Jesus' Resurrection

Administrator
Staff Member
Jesus' Resurrection - Essential to the Christian Faith
Jesus' Resurrection from the dead is as essential to the Christian faith as His death upon the cross. Paul writes in his first letter to the Corinthians "For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures" (1 Corinthians 15:3-4). Paul emphasizes the importance of the Resurrection with his statement "And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not" (I Corinthians 15:14-15).

Jesus' Resurrection - An Historical Event?
So, is Jesus' Resurrection from the dead an historical event? It is proclaimed throughout the four Gospels as well as ancient correspondence. If these works are the historical documents they claim to be, then they bare witness to an historical event. According to Aristotle's Dictum, these pieces meet the criteria for legitimate historical documents. However, as they describe miraculous events, they are not recognized by secular society as valid testimony. How then will these accounts be validated? Two questions must be asked. First, do the authors of these literary pieces discredit their work, or do their lives give credit to their testimony? Second, do accepted historical authorities corroborate these accounts?

Jesus' Resurrection - The Disciples' Testimony
The men who believed in Jesus' Resurrection from the dead, known today as Christ's Disciples, certainly had their testimony, as well as their convictions, tested by those who disbelieved. With the exception of John, every one of these men were put to death. These deaths were excruciating and merciless. More so were their lives, as these men were persecuted by the secular world and suffered great hardship for the spreading of their beloved Gospel, which they proclaimed. Paul gives account in his second letter to the Corinthians "Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness." (II Corinthians 11:24-27). Paul was later beheaded after suffering in a Roman dungeon for many years. His death was far less brutal then those of his brethren as he was a Roman citizen and often they were not. These men believed the Lord allowed them to suffer greatly, as there is no better evidence of their sincerity and the truth of their message than their endurance and perseverance without any hope of an earthly reward. Every single one of them could have escaped such torture and humiliation by simply denouncing the Resurrection of Christ. This was the goal of their tormentors. However, not one ceded to their persecutors, and this is dramatic evidence in rebuttal of any conspiracy theory.

Voice of the Martyrs - A Dramatic Record of Faithful Christians
Voice of the Martyrs is a ministry organization that documents horrific examples of Christian persecution throughout the world. They show that Christian martyrdom wasn’t just a 1st Century phenomenon. Dramatically, Christian martyrdom continues to show compelling evidence for the Christian faith today.

Voice of the Martyrs - The Early Martyrs Were Actual Witnesses to the Life of Jesus
Although Christian persecution continues in the 21st Century, the voice of the martyr in the 1st Century is still the most dramatic evidence that the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ was not a man-made hoax conspired by a group of disciples. Since the apostles and many of the early disciples were eye-witnesses to the life of Jesus, their story was not just based on religious belief, but actual historical events. It’s one thing to die for a religious belief, such as an Islamic fundamentalist or a follower of David Koresh. It’s quite another to die for a known lie. Here is a list of eye-witness martyrs as compiled from numerous sources outside the Bible, the most-famous of which is Foxes’ Christian Martyrs of the World:

Stephen was preaching the gospel in Jerusalem on the Passover after Christ’s crucifixion. He was cast out of the city and stoned to death. About 2,000 Christians suffered martyrdom during this time (about 34 A.D.).

James, the son of Zebedee and the elder brother of John, was killed when Herod Agrippa arrived as governor of Judea. Many early disciples were martyred under Agrippa’s rule, including Timon and Parmenas (about 44 A.D.).

Philip, a disciple from Bethsaida, in Galilee, suffered martyrdom at Heliopolis, in Phrygia. He was scourged, thrown into prison, and afterwards crucified (about 54 A.D.).

Matthew, the tax-collector from Nazareth who wrote a gospel in Hebrew, was preaching in Ethiopia when he suffered martyrdom by the sword (about 60 A.D.).

James, the Brother of Jesus, administered the early church in Jerusalem and was the author of a book in the Bible. At the age of 94 he was beat and stoned, and finally had his brains bashed out with a fuller's club.

Matthias was the apostle who filled the vacant place of Judas. He was stoned at Jerusalem and then beheaded.

Andrew, the brother of Peter, preached the gospel throughout Asia. On his arrival at Edessa, he was arrested and crucified on a cross, two ends of which were fixed transversely in the ground (thus the term, St. Andrew's Cross).

Mark was converted to Christianity by Peter, and then transcribed Peter’s account of Jesus in his Gospel. Mark was dragged to pieces by the people of Alexandria in front of Serapis, their pagan idol.

Peter was condemned to death and crucified at Rome. Jerome holds that Peter was crucified upside down, at his own request, because he said he was unworthy to be crucified in the same manner as his Lord.

Paul suffered in the first persecution under Nero. Because of the converting impact he was having on people in the face of martyrdom, he was led to a private place outside the city where he gave his neck to the sword.

Jude, the brother of James, was commonly called Thaddeus. He was crucified at Edessa in about 72 A.D.

Bartholomew translated the Gospel of Matthew in India. He was cruelly beaten and crucified by idolaters there.

Thomas, called Didymus, preached in Parthia and India. He was thrust through with a spear by pagan priests.

Luke was the author of the Gospel under his name. He traveled with Paul through various countries and was supposedly hanged on an olive tree by idolatrous priests in Greece.

Barnabas, of Cyprus, was killed without many known facts about 73 A.D. Simon, surnamed Zelotes, preached in Africa and Britain, where he was crucified in about 74 A.D.

John, the "beloved disciple," was the brother of James. Although he suffered great persecution, including imprisonment where he wrote the book of Revelation, he was the only apostle who escaped a violent death.

Voice of the Martyrs - People May Die for a Belief, but Not for a Lie
Voice of the Martyrs – when life is at stake, multi-party conspiracies break down very quickly. Think about it!

Article by: allaboutchrist.org

"And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not" (I Corinthians 15:14-15).

Over years the Resurrection of Jesus has faced, come under, and submitted to, the scrunity of Intelligentsia world-wide. With what result?

No one can dispute the resurrection of Jesus from the dead. It is probably the most accredited fact within human history.

I cannot understand why the lid is constantly kept on it. The West is being threatened by other faiths, which are based upon the dreams of self-styled prophets, who never cast out devils, healed the sick or raised the dead.

Where is the sense in this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Loyal
Lots of people do Not want to be responsible to a Higher Being.

Satan wants as much company in the eternal lake of fire and brimstone as possible. He will lie, cheat , Anything to get humanity in eternal agony with him.

And one of the Biggest lies is that 'we' can manage our own lives quite well on our own, by ourselves with no interference from any Higher Power.

The Risen Christ is our Only hope for a wonderful, glorious forever life with God never again to be bothered by the greatest liar of this world.

And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
Luke 24:44

Hear the word of YHWH, ye children of Israel: for YHWH hath a controversy with the inhabitants of the land, because there is no truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of Elohim in the land.
Hosea 4:1

After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.
Hosea 6:2

But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
Matthew 9:13

For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of Elohim more than burnt offerings.
Hosea 6:6

Yes there is more evidence to support the Birth, Life Death and Resurrection of Jesus than can be found to support any other person who has lived upon the planet. Hallelujah

Yes there is more evidence to support the Birth, Life Death and Resurrection of Jesus than can be found to support any other person who has lived upon the planet. Hallelujah
I would disagree with that. Anyone born in the western world in the last 100 years has more evidence that they existed than Jesus. Which is about what, 5 billion people.

Loyal
@Vincent -- we're not talking about people being born and evidence of That. We Are talking about the death and bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ.

And the fact that history is thought of in terms of B.C. and A.D. B,C. = birth of Christ. We see history recorded as 500 B.C. or whatever year a person is talking about B.C.

In the world that Jesus Christ was born into there were political leaders who tried to kill him as a baby , etc. And, yes, this information is found in the Bible. And it's also found in secular information.

@Vincent -- we're not talking about people being born and evidence of That. We Are talking about the death and bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Which requires convincing evidence which I have not seen.

And the fact that history is thought of in terms of B.C. and A.D. B,C. = birth of Christ. We see history recorded as 500 B.C. or whatever year a person is talking about B.C.
This has nothing to do with whether Jesus was born or rose from the dead.

In the world that Jesus Christ was born into there were political leaders who tried to kill him as a baby , etc. And, yes, this information is found in the Bible. And it's also found in secular information.
There is no written history we have found that was written by anyone with firsthand knowledge at the time of the events in secular writings. Josephus and Tacitus were not born until 10-20 years after the resurrection. There also is not any historians/writers that were alive during these events that wrote anything about it. This is unconvincing to me.

Loyal
@Vincent -- Well -- what Would be convincing.

And, btw-- years like 600 B.C. what Does that indicate? The B.C. ?

Well -- how much first hand knowledge of this countries' history do we have. Don't We rely on history books written Way before 'we' were born? How do We know 'for sure' about any of our religious leaders or scientists , etc. except through books written by or about them.

My neighbor could tell me about a fire in Taylor yesterday -- Do I believe him/ her? Why Not. Why would they lie to me. Or I could read about it in the newspaper. It's Still 2nd-hand knowledge because I was Not in Taylor to witness the fire.

Even evolution is by 2nd hand knowledge. We rely on the experts in various fields of science. But even They have their personal agenda's.

Just sayin :)

@Vincent -- Well -- what Would be convincing.
I don't know. What would be convincing to you to believe Allah is the real god? But I bet God would know what would convince me?

And, btw-- years like 600 B.C. what Does that indicate? The B.C. ?
I don't see the relevance. This was invented 525 years after Jesus was resurrected and not really used until 800 AD. How does this point to a resurrected Jesus as truth?

Well -- how much first hand knowledge of this countries' history do we have. Don't We rely on history books written Way before 'we' were born? How do We know 'for sure' about any of our religious leaders or scientists , etc. except through books written by or about them.

My neighbor could tell me about a fire in Taylor yesterday -- Do I believe him/ her? Why Not. Why would they lie to me. Or I could read about it in the newspaper. It's Still 2nd-hand knowledge because I was Not in Taylor to witness the fire.
The evidence of a claim needs to be proportional to the probability of the claim. I you told me that you had a dog at home named Sam I would believe you not having one shred of evidence that it is true. Dogs are a common pet and the consequences of me believing that lie are almost none. If you told me that aliens abducted you and took you to Mars, I would bot believe you because the claim is so unusual that more evidence would be required to convince me. Historians and scientists have processes that are falsifiable and can be evaluate by other historians and scientists. After a while scientists come to a consensus through peer review and repeated testing. So when a historian or scientist come to a conclusion that is the consensus I am willing to accept that knowing if they are wrong it will be other historians and scientists that discover the error. The God claim is not falsifiable and cannot be tested in any meaningful way. It needs greater evidence to be believed than just a story in a book.

Even evolution is by 2nd hand knowledge.
Evolution can be observed happening, we have observed speciation in a lab. This has been tested an verified over and over and evolution is as close to a fact as science can get. If a scientist could find an error and take down the theory they would be the most famous scientists ever.

We rely on the experts in various fields of science. But even They have their personal agenda's.
Those agendas are rendered mute by the scientific process.

Loyal
Vincent -- this conversation reminds me a lot of a person I got to know some years ago on another Forum. but he'd never claimed to have been a Christian at one time and isn't any more. He was from Norway I'm thinking

And I've Also been in a discussion with a person who was strong on Allah / the Quaran. And, yes, they Both claim to be The only truth. But, for one thing -- Islam has vowed to take over the world -- one way or another -- their motto has been either convert or die and they - as a group -- don't care which a person chooses. And THAT is Not God's love. The God of the Bible -- well -- there is no other God. He's It. And He wants relationship with each person. And the way To have relationship with God -- is through His Son , Jesus Christ. His death and bodily resurrection from the dead.

And, yes, God Does know what will convince you. And He uses His Word and other inter action with other people -- circumstances in your own life to show you. Looking at nature a person can see God.

B.C. means before Christ was born.

You, yourself said that it was invented those hundreds of years after Jesus was resurrected. Actually that would be the A.D. Those two abbreviations are used pertaining to Jesus Christ. Why would they be used for a person who never existed -- was never born or never died or was never resurrected.

Besides that -- Christmas is a very popular time of year = the birth of Jesus Christ in the manger -- Mary the mother of Jesus. And Easter Sunday // Resurrection Sunday -- celebrating the resurrection of someone who never existed?

Scientists and historians Also have their own agenda's. Do we believe that the Holocost happened? It Is part of history, but there are lots of people who deny it happened. Or maybe that it Did , but not the way 'we' hear about it. The reality Is that it's hard to believe that people can actually treat other human beings in such a horrendous way. And there Are those who'd like to re-write history books to take out the horrible parts.

If a person looks at history -- Nero for instance -- it's in secular history that he took Christians and used them as human torches -- why would he do that. If there was no Jesus Christ to follow then why persecute His followers.

Evolution is both macro and micro -- that which can be observed Now and documented and experiments tried is not a problem. It's the really long range part that isn't believed by lots of people. No one can prove that people developed from an animal. People are as distinctly human as animals are distinctly of the animal world.

Observation of the world around us shows us that. It's simply not possible for anything to gradually change from one thing to another. Cats beget cats -- and there are many kinds Of cats. But all in the same 'family. same as dogs -- many varieties within the species, but all in the dog family. They will mate in the wild. God's Word tells us how everything came into being. People have been created as people since Adam and Eve came into existance. And we're told in Genesis how and when He created each part of the animal world.

So you would also rule out the virgin birth of Jesus Christ through Mary, because it's a one-time occurrance that will never happen again. As was the birth, death, bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ because it's a one time occasion.

Let's compare God's existence to something that we All know Does exist. The Wind -- it can't be seen except for the affects it has -- Gravity -- we all know That exists Because we can see the effects of That. Gravity pulls people / objects to the earth. A while back I tripped in my side yard. I didn't go Up -- I fell Down to the ground. Broke my ankle as a result. But No one can actually see 'gravity'. So -- there we have three invisible 'things' that we definitely see the affects Of.

God is seen in various ways, too. When God enters a person's life, there Is a difference. A good , positive change. We hear of miracles happening. Someone survives an accident or a surgery. That the experts say they never should have. A brother-in-law of mine went into surgery, He was in a situation where he Should have bled to death. The surgeons did all they could -- and watched in amazement as his body / the bleeding gradually stopped. No explanation except that it was a God-thing. And there was a situation on Face Book the other day. A young husband who's wife was pregnant and their unborn son had water on his brain. They watched very closely. They warned them that If the baby lived, that it would be a matter of a very short time that he would survive. And very gradually, they watched as the fluid absorbed and he was born perfectly normal. In fact, it had been advised that he would be in such horrible shape that they should consider terminating the pregnancy. The Doctors said that they had no explanation -- it was a God-thing. A miracle by definition is a rarely seen occurance. The Bible / New Testament/ tells of many miracles.

It's Also a fact that scientists doing research that Disproves a theory - repeatedly - have had their work either lost or buried so that there's no real evidence of it. Same thing happens when scientists who are Christians do research that Proves a Biblical concept have Their research 'buried' it never gets published. never sees peer review.

And there are Also, professors in colleges / universities who will flunk any student who dares to believe in God / Bible.

For a religious belief system that is supposedly fake -- it sure gets a lot of bad press. As in 'take the Ten Commandments out of any public building'. Why? because they teach Against committing adultary / lying/ killing. But Why ? because that's where our laws come from.

And then we have God created man and woman to be able to produce children between them. And what do we have Today? My goodness. But that's another subject for another thread.

So Genesis 1:1 "in the beginning God created......" and That is obvious.

Loyal
@Vincent

Jesus was executed on the order of Pontuis Pilate. The church quickly gathered a large following on the belief that Jesus had risen from the dead. Both the Roman and Jewish authorities tried to suppress the growth of the church, to the point of executing many of Jesus followers.

None of this is contentious.

If Jesus did not rise from the dead, somebody must have shifted the body. Who could possibly have had an incentive to do that?

I've thought about it a lot and have not yet come across a plausible explanation.

Staff Member
@Vincent
Greetings Vincent,

You do not believe what is written in Scripture.
Nothing any of us write here will be better that that which you refuse and deny.

May i suggest that you find a Christian to talk to so about your problem.

Praying that God in His Mercy and Grace will speak to you and that you will hear.

Bless you