• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Jesus' Crucified Dead Body

Active
When Jesus' crucified dead body was laid to rest, it was a normal human body;
subject to death, decay, and the aging process.

Up in Heaven, his body is immune to all that.

But what about that day on Earth when Jesus' body was restored to life? Did it
retain its normal vulnerabilities, or was his body restored to life somewhat
superhuman?

In other words: when did Jesus' body become immortal? The day of his
resurrection, or the day of his ascension?
_

Active

superhuman?

_
He must have looked different because the women who first saw him didn't recognise him.

John 20:14-16

14 At this, she turned round and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realise that it was Jesus.
15 He asked her, ‘Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?’
Thinking he was the gardener, she said, ‘Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.’
16 Jesus said to her, ‘Mary.’
She turned towards him and cried out in Aramaic, ‘Rabboni!’ (which means ‘Teacher’).

Active
And he could suddenly appear before others and go through walls and disappear from sight instantly
now there are clues here ...

Active
He must have looked different because the women who first saw him didn't
recognise him.

It's a curious foible of human nature that we all sometimes fail to recognize even
well-known friends and associates when they show up in places where, and when,
we least expect them.

Even had Ms. Magdalene and the disciples seen a strong resemblance to Jesus in
the man ashore and in the cemetery, they knew good and well their own selves
that it couldn't be him because she, and some of them, were eye witnesses to his
demise and his burial. And besides; according to Isa 52:14, Jesus was beaten and
bloodied beyond recognition so it's doubtful they would be expecting him back in
good condition.
_

Active
And he could suddenly appear before others and go through walls and disappear
from sight instantly

Jesus Christ was virgin-conceived, walked on water, calmed storms, restored
withered limbs, put the lame up on their feet, healed blindness and leprosy,
multiplied loaves and fishes, converted water into wine, controlled the weather,
instantly reattached a severed ear, revived the dead, withered a fig tree, levitated
into the sky, etc.

What's one more miracle, more or less? Passing through stone? Walking through
doors and walls? Disappearing? Reappearing? How hard could any of that really be
for a man like Jesus of Nazareth?
_

Active
Rom 6:9 strongly suggests that Jesus' crucified dead body was restored to life with
immortality; but according to John 20:17, it was not yet glorified.
_

Active
It's a curious foible of human nature that we all sometimes fail to recognize even
well-known friends and associates when they show up in places where, and when,
we least expect them.

Even had Ms. Magdalene and the disciples seen a strong resemblance to Jesus in
the man ashore and in the cemetery, they knew good and well their own selves
that it couldn't be him because she, and some of them, were eye witnesses to his
demise and his burial. And besides; according to Isa 52:14, Jesus was beaten and
bloodied beyond recognition so it's doubtful they would be expecting him back in
good condition.
_
But after he came out of the tomb, resurrected by the power of God, would he not have been in his resurrection body as opposed to his original earthly one?

Active
But after he came out of the tomb, resurrected by the power of God, would he not
have been in his resurrection body as opposed to his original earthly one
?

Jesus' body was on hold for glorification. (John 20:17)

Other bodies in the New Testament restored to life by the power of God weren't
glorified in the process, so the resurrection of Jesus' body to its original condition
wasn't unusual; rather, to be expected.

And anyway, it was very important that his friends see Jesus back from death as he
was or they would have reason to believe his post resurrection appearances were
suspicious.

For example: the Watchtower Society has managed to convince its Jehovah's Witness
followers that Christ's post-resurrection appearances were done in a materialized body,
i.e. an avatar; and that his crucified dead body remains deceased. The Society insists it
wasn't restored to life, rather, is now squirreled away somewhere on Earth in a
condition, and a location, known only to God.

"If Jesus were to take his body of flesh, blood, and bones to heaven and enjoy them
there, what would this mean? It would mean that there would be no resurrection of the
dead for anybody. Why not? Because Jesus would be taking his sacrifice off God's
altar.
" (page 237 of the April 15, 1963 issue of the Watchtower magazine)
_

Loyal
Luke 24:37; But they were terrified and frightened, and supposed they had seen a spirit.
Luke 24:38; And He said to them, "Why are you troubled? And why do doubts arise in your hearts?
Luke 24:39; Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have."

Luke 24:40; When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet.
Luke 24:41; But while they still did not believe for joy, and marveled, He said to them, "Have you any food here?"

Luke 24:42; So they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish and some honeycomb.
Luke 24:43; And He took it and ate in their presence.

Acts 1:10; And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel,
Acts 1:11; who also said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven."

The title of this thread is a little misleading. Jesus doesn't have a "dead" body.

Active
Luke 24:43; And He took it and ate in their presence.
That in itself isn't adequate proof that Jesus' body was restored to its original
condition on resurrection day because his glorified body is capable of dining upon
ordinary foods and beverages.

Matt 26:29 . . I tell you: I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until
that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom.

Luke 22:15-16 . . I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I
suffer. For I tell you: I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of
God.

Luke 22:28-29 . . However, you are the ones that have stuck with me in my
trials; and I make a covenant with you, just as my Father has made a covenant
with me, for a kingdom, that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom
_

Loyal
a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have."

It seems the "glorified body" had flesh and bones, and even the holes and scars from the crucifixion.

On a side note: It's interesting the Bible only mentions 3 foods that Jesus ate.

Isa 7:14; Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.
Isa 7:15; Curds and honey He shall eat, that He may know to refuse the evil and choose the good.
Isa 7:16; For before the Child shall know to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land that you dread will be forsaken by both her kings.

Somehow by eating curds and honey, He will know good from evil? (Well, at least what tastes good, and what tastes evil :) )
He also ate the fish and honeycomb in Luke 24 above.

It doesn't specifically say Jesus partook of the wine and bread at the "last supper" in 1Cor 11. But it seems to be inferred that He did.

Active

superhuman?

_

First thing, Jesus was not simply a man, but was the eternal Son of God and God the Son. He could not only perform miracles on others, but raised HIMSELF from the grave. Jesus was in HIS healed resurrected body when he rose from the grave and in HIS glorified body once HE ascended.

Think for a moment what Jesus's body must have appeared like to those that watched him die on the cross: beaten, swollen, bloodied, flesh torn from him exposing bone, tissue, bowels. I would guess that all that saw HIM in that condition had that vision of HIM seared onto their minds and forever a part of their memory.

When the two disciples walking to Emmaus could not see that it was Jesus walking with them, I can only imagine that Jesus had by this time supernaturally healed himself of all the bloodied swelling and wounds, save those piercings through his hands feet and side. Those walking with Jesus must have had the vision of the beaten and contorted Jesus in their memories so that they could not have imagined the man with them was in fact Jesus.

Loyal
Why do assume He has to be healed?

Rev 5:5; But one of the elders said to me, "Do not weep. Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the scroll and to loose its seven seals."
Rev 5:6; And I looked, and behold, in the midst of the throne and of the four living creatures, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as though it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent out into all the earth.

Active

Rev 5:5; But one of the elders said to me, "Do not weep. Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the scroll and to loose its seven seals."
Rev 5:6; And I looked, and behold, in the midst of the throne and of the four living creatures, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as though it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent out into all the earth.

Revelation is full of imagery and metaphors to describe realities. The lamb of course is Jesus. Jesus was indeed slain, and John was surely witness to HIS slaying. The visions in Revelation are given John by Jesus HIMSELF. When HE revealed HIMSELF to John in the first chapter of Revelation, John describes HIS "countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength." Whatever that means, I don't get the impression that John was saying that Jesus looked a bloodied, beaten, and contorted mess, which is what Jesus was when he was taken to the tomb.

Active

Additionally, I assume Jesus was healed either before HE was resurrected or at the time of HIS resurrection because Jesus is God, and God is omnipotent. God is able. Do you doubt God's omnipotence?

Loyal
Let us think for a minute, in human terms how long it would it take for those wounds to heal? How long would it take for the torn ligaments to heal. In human terms I think we would all say, long time, yet Jesus was walking, without pain.

Sometimes I think we try do a Nicodemus, we consider spiritual heaven items in human, fleshy terms. Interesting as the discussion is ;-)

Regarding the blood covered body of our Lord, he was like that on the cross we a know, but the ladies prepared his body for burial, so his earthly body would have been cleaned up.

In the discussion regarding the change in Jesus' body and when, a person with medical knowledge would be able to answer this in more detail, but I think surely the wounds would be weeping, blood and water coming from the five wounds, and possibly those from the thorns. But there is no mention of such in the tomb, Jesus had Risen, the grave clothes folded, healing was done, the transformation was already taking place, but a couple more stages are still to be complete which have been mentioned ready.

Active
That in itself isn't adequate proof that Jesus' body was restored to its original
condition on resurrection day because his glorified body is capable of dining upon
ordinary foods and beverages.

Matt 26:29 . . I tell you: I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until
that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom.

Luke 22:15-16 . . I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I
suffer. For I tell you: I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of
God.

Luke 22:28-29 . . However, you are the ones that have stuck with me in my
trials; and I make a covenant with you, just as my Father has made a covenant
with me, for a kingdom, that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom
_

When Jesus healed the leper, the leprosy cleared immediately. When Jesus healed the lame and the blind and brought to life the dead, these were all immediate.

God (Jesus is God in the flesh) spoke the world and the things in it into existence. Since God is able to do that, I have no doubt HE is able to heal HIMSELF supernaturally.

Active
Were I the Devil, I would do my utmost best to disprove the resurrection of Jesus
Christ's crucified dead body because its crucifixion alone is only half enough to
protect people from the wrath of God. Though his physical body's death obtains
forgiveness for people's sins, its death alone doesn't make their exoneration
possible.

Rom 4:25 . . He was delivered up for the sake of our trespasses, and was raised
up for the sake of declaring us righteous.

The Greek word translated "righteous" is dikaiosis (dik-ah'-yo-sis) which means
acquittal; defined as an adjudication of innocence.

People merely forgiven still carry a load of guilt; viz: they have a criminal record.
Christ's physical resurrection deletes their record so that on the books, it's as
though they've never been anything but 100% innocent.

This clearing of one's guilt that I'm talking about is obtained via the kindness and
generosity of God through belief in the resurrection of Christ's crucified dead body.
If the Devil can succeed in convincing people that Jesus' crucified body is still dead
or, even better yet, make them question whether the man even existed at all; then
they will fail to obtain an acquittal, and consequently end up put to death in
brimstone because records are to be reviewed when people stand to face justice at
the Great White Throne event depicted at Rev 20:11-15.

Of all the doctrines invented by the Watchtower Society, I'd have to say that their
resurrection story is the most insidious because belief in the recovery of Christ's
corpse is one of the essential elements of the gospel that must be accepted if one is
to have any chance at all of circumventing the lake of brimstone depicted at Rev
20:11-15.

1Cor 15:17 . . Further, if Christ has not been raised up, your faith is useless; you
are yet in your sins.

NOTE: According to 1Cor 15:34, people that disbelieve Jesus Christ's corpse was
restored to life aren't fully conscious; viz: they're like someone in a stupor; i.e.
dazed.
_