• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Is there Venial and Mortal sin?

Sola Scriptura.......scripture alone will teach us.
venial: denoting a sin that is not regarded as depriving the soul of divine grace.

Mortal: sin causing death to the soul; by cutting the soul off from divine grace .

Effective Prayer 1John 5:16-18
…16If anyone sees his brother committing a sin (not leading to death), he should ask God, who will give life to those who commit this kind of sin. There is a sin that( leads to death); I am not saying he should ask regarding that sin. 17All unrighteousness is sin, yet there is sin that( does not lead to death).

It would seem there is venial and mortal sin. 18We know that anyone born of God does not keep on sinning; So it would seem that making mistakes is one thing but , loving sin is another.

Cain and Abel Genesis 4:6-7
…6“Why are you angry,” said the LORD to Cain, “and why has your countenance fallen? 7If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you refuse to do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; you are its object of desire, but you must master it.”

Struggling with Sin Romans 7:18-20
…18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh; for I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For I do not do the good I want to do. Instead, I keep on doing the evil I do not want to do. 20And if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.…

Eventual, those who do NOT love sin become victorious over the sin in their flesh by putting the flesh into submission to Christ.
James 5:16-17
16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man has great power to prevail. 17Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years.…
CONFESSION too aids in this putting into submission the flesh to Christ .

Confession is an examining of ones conscience , that, in doing, you acknowledge any fault you may have and can Confess it. This should be done before receiving the Body and Blood of Christ.
1 Corinthians 11
23For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: that the Lord Jesus, on the night He was betrayed, took bread, 24and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “This is My body, which is for you;a do this in remembrance of Me.” 25In the same way, after supper He took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.” 26For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.

27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28Each one must examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.

Living by the Spirit Galatians 5:16-18
16So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17For the flesh craves what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are opposed to one another, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.…

If an assembly of God applies these doctrines are they wrong?

Active
I don't accept the the full Catholic teaching of mortal and venial sins as I don't believe a Christian can ever commit a mortal sin. I just agree in the sense that mortal sins point to one being further lost. Sold out to sin. The bible is full of examples of such. So I won't argue with anyone agreeing with the Catholic teaching on it.

Example in the NT:

Venial sin:Matt 5:28 An immoral thought is adultery in the heart.
Mortal sin: Matt 5:32, Matt 19:9 Actual adultery is grounds for divorce.

The OT is full of such examples.

Venial sin:Lev 20:18If a man has sexual relations with a woman during her monthly period, he has exposed the source of her flow, and she has also uncovered it. Both of them are to be cut off from their people.
Venial sin: Lev 20:19 ‘Do not have sexual relations with the sister of either your mother or your father, for that would dishonor a close relative; both of you would be held responsible.

Mortal sin: Lev 20:10 If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife with the wife of his neighbor both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.
Mortal sin: Lev 20:14 If a man marries both a woman and her mother, it is wicked. Both he and they must be burned in the fire, so that no wickedness will be among you.

Loyal
…16If anyone sees his brother committing a sin (not leading to death), he should ask God, who will give life to those who commit this kind of sin. There is a sin that( leads to death); I am not saying he should ask regarding that sin. 17All unrighteousness is sin, yet there is sin that( does not lead to death).

"a" sin, would imply there is a single sin that doesn't lead to death, but thousands of others... in fact ALL others, that do lead to death.

The first lie Satan told Eve was...

Gen 3:4; The serpent said to the woman, "You surely will not die!

..and yet she did.

I don't accept the the full Catholic teaching of mortal and venial sins as I don't believe a Christian can ever commit a mortal sin. I just agree in the sense that mortal sins point to one being further lost. Sold out to sin. The bible is full of examples of such. So I won't argue with anyone agreeing with the Catholic teaching on it.

Example in the NT:

Venial sin:Lev 20:18If a man has sexual relations with a woman during her monthly period, he has exposed the source of her flow, and she has also uncovered it. Both of them are to be cut off from their people.
Venial sin: Lev 20:19 ‘Do not have sexual relations with the sister of either your mother or your father, for that would dishonor a close relative; both of you would be held responsible.

Mortal sin: Lev 20:10 If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife with the wife of his neighbor both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.
Mortal sin: Lev 20:14 If a man marries both a woman and her mother, it is wicked. Both he and they must be burned in the fire, so that no wickedness will be among you.
Okay don't accept the Catholic doctrine of venial or mortal sin. The thing is , it is supported by scripture, that is my point. Clearly a person can fall into mortal sin and a person can commit venial is all I am pointing out. Sola Scriptura! Point, it is in scripture whether you think it can happen or not. What is the Full Catholic doctrine on venial and mortal sin anyway? I just agree with what the scripture says about it. Perhaps you can enlighten me? Is what they teach about the two not supported by the scriptures?

"a" sin, would imply there is a single sin that doesn't lead to death, but thousands of others... in fact ALL others, that do lead to death.

The first lie Satan told Eve was...

Gen 3:4; The serpent said to the woman, "You surely will not die!

..and yet she did.
So.... you are saying repeative sin when you know it is wrong can become mortal sin?

Example in the NT:

Look, I do not accept some Catholic doctrines, or Orthodox or Protestant. The one I accept of the Protestant's is Sola Scriptura , I think it is a precious gem. Catholics disagree with it , Orthodox as well ,but I get it. For me , it has become a most useful tool to finding out what is or is not true. So, I use that anthem , even against Protestants, because I find when you point out a doctrine that is supported by scripture alone to them, they actually prove to be hypocrites. They reject the truth even when scripture clearly supports a doctrine not devised by them. I accept any truth of any doctrine from among all denominations when I find it within the Word. If I can not find it or it is not supported by the scriptures I reject it. It is not complicated for me. God is wise and I get what He has done, and what men have done according to their own strength not God's.

I know if you are within a denomination and you have an alliance with it fully, it is difficult to reach across denominational lines. For me denominations have become like political parties........very annoying. There is scriptural support for where I am at in my thinking too, for Christ is the one who brought me to it. There is some prophecy for what I am experiencing and what is to come of it. I am not going to share that just yet. I am first testing to see how indoctrinated everyone here is.

Question; do you think it is a wrap concerning gaining more knowledge concerning the meaning of the everlasting gospel? Do you think that some of the doctrines of denominations have been wrongly formulated, even in your denomination?

Active
Sola Scriptura.......scripture alone will teach us.
venial: denoting a sin that is not regarded as depriving the soul of divine grace.

Mortal: sin causing death to the soul; by cutting the soul off from divine grace .

Before diving deeper into your post let's consider your initial scripture, which I assume is the main one.

There is according to Jesus only one unforgivable sin, and that is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. All other sins fall under the purview of forgivable if one confesses them and repents when the Holy Spirit convinces us of sin. Convinces, not convicts. It's appropriate for a Christian to pray asking God to convince a sinning Christian by the Spirit. It doesn't say approach a brother in that verse. It says if we pray, God will give life to that brother sinning. It demonstrates our power and responibilty to pray about everything, to be our brother's keeper. When a brother sinks into blasphemy, let it go. He will burn.

Some take that responsibility a bit too far, chiding over iniquities, those foolish things that have in themselves sufficient punishment in this life, like not brushing teeth often enough. The chiding by Mom ought to fall off when a kid grows up.

Some that passage alone apears to not divide actual sins into categories like small or great. Sin is sin. We will all face a judgment according to what we did about them according to the will of God.

Before diving deeper into your post let's consider your initial scripture, which I assume is the main one.

There is according to Jesus only one unforgivable sin, and that is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. All other sins fall under the purview of forgivable if one confesses them and repents when the Holy Spirit convinces us of sin. Convinces, not convicts. It's appropriate for a Christian to pray asking God to convince a sinning Christian by the Spirit. It doesn't say approach a brother in that verse. It says if we pray, God will give life to that brother sinning. It demonstrates our power and responibilty to pray about everything, to be our brother's keeper. When a brother sinks into blasphemy, let it go. He will burn.

Some take that responsibility a bit too far, chiding over iniquities, those foolish things that have in themselves sufficient punishment in this life, like not brushing teeth often enough. The chiding by Mom ought to fall off when a kid grows up.

Some that passage alone apears to not divide actual sins into categories like small or great. Sin is sin. We will all face a judgment according to what we did about them according to the will of God.

No not in this verse, but as we all know all the scriptures are one as God is one. Therefore, if it says to confess your sins to one another in another place then it is a good practice. See, I think as a community it is good to share your sins with one another. I see that in here. I think you think I am telling you to join the RCC I am not. You all in here already confess your sins to one another.

16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man has great power to prevail. 17Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years.…
I am simply pointing out scripture which supports the practice of confession. If people prefer an Orthodox way, a Catholic way or Protestant way, it is all confession and it is good for the soul. I have experienced and done all methods. Confession is confession. As for the mortal thing of course that is the sin which leads to death as the scripture says. Yes it is sin unto death and on committing this kind of sin as you point out one goes to hell.

Active

No not in this verse, but as we all know all the scriptures are one as God is one. Therefore, if it says to confess your sins to one another in another place then it is a good practice. See, I think as a community it is good to share your sins with one another. I see that in here. I think you think I am telling you to join the RCC I am not. You all in here already confess your sins to one another.

I am simply pointing out scripture which supports the practice of confession. If people prefer an Orthodox way, a Catholic way or Protestant way, it is all confession and it is good for the soul. I have experienced and done all methods. Confession is confession. As for the mortal thing of course that is the sin which leads to death as the scripture says. Yes it is sin unto death and on committing this kind of sin as you point out one goes to hell.

Let's put the prior verse in here first.
15 (KJV) And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

The English "sins" in that verse is from the Greek hamartia, which is usually translated (deliberate" sin(s), indicating one is a brother in a sin and needs to be cleansed as well as healed of some ailment through prayer.

Using a very different Greek word in the next verse is more of a submission to counseling for reconciliation.

The Greek incorrectly translated "sins" in v.16 in your version is based on the Greek paraptoma"faults" (not "sins"), which is a failure, a slip up, trespass, like a disagreement or anger resulting in bad feelings, which ought to cease by sundown. We can be angry for a reasonable cause but not to the point of sin. Be angry and sin not. In those cases two offended people can usually talk the issue out, and pray, then enter into a healing. It's like a husband spending the light money on a fishing rod for his birthday in a misunderstanding of the wife's budgeting. She's mad, then he gets upset, until they figure out why they are arguing. She had said "you go get something you want", but didn't anticipate it costing $450. The fault could result in bad news when the electric bill comes due, and put financial pressure on them. His fault was not being wise with limited funds, not asking "How much can I spend?" especially if he doesn't get involved with the budget. I've seen cases like that many times a year when counseling couples. He should suggest taking it back for a refund get a cheaper item, apologizing, and bring her some flowers, within his budget.

So both arenas are covered in verses 15 & 16 in a typical Christian life.

Confess sin to the Lord, then repent. We have direct access to the Throne. Work out your faults with one another, all with prayer. Confessing sins to fellow brethren can damage relationships. Not many folks can properly handle that. A very common sin resulting is the one learning of a sin passing on "This is of course strictly confidential, but we need to be praying for Mr............

No. Keep sin between you and a confession to God in Jesus' name. The Holy Spirit can inform a sinner about asking for counsel. Be wise.

Let's put the prior verse in here first.
15 (KJV) And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

The English "sins" in that verse is from the Greek hamartia, which is usually translated (deliberate" sin(s), indicating one is a brother in a sin and needs to be cleansed as well as healed of some ailment through prayer.

Using a very different Greek word in the next verse is more of a submission to counseling for reconciliation.

The Greek incorrectly translated "sins" in v.16 in your version is based on the Greek paraptoma"faults" (not "sins"), which is a failure, a slip up, trespass, like a disagreement or anger resulting in bad feelings, which ought to cease by sundown. We can be angry for a reasonable cause but not to the point of sin. Be angry and sin not. In those cases two offended people can usually talk the issue out, and pray, then enter into a healing. It's like a husband spending the light money on a fishing rod for his birthday in a misunderstanding of the wife's budgeting. She's mad, then he gets upset, until they figure out why they are arguing. She had said "you go get something you want", but didn't anticipate it costing $450. The fault could result in bad news when the electric bill comes due, and put financial pressure on them. His fault was not being wise with limited funds, not asking "How much can I spend?" especially if he doesn't get involved with the budget. I've seen cases like that many times a year when counseling couples. He should suggest taking it back for a refund get a cheaper item, apologizing, and bring her some flowers, within his budget.

So both arenas are covered in verses 15 & 16 in a typical Christian life.

Confess sin to the Lord, then repent. We have direct access to the Throne. Work out your faults with one another, all with prayer. Confessing sins to fellow brethren can damage relationships. Not many folks can properly handle that. A very common sin resulting is the one learning of a sin passing on "This is of course strictly confidential, but we need to be praying for Mr............

No. Keep sin between you and a confession to God in Jesus' name. The Holy Spirit can inform a sinner about asking for counsel. Be wise.
Actually I know the Greek full well. I use the KJV in here because most request its use in here. But now if you want to go full on Greek I will and Hebrew as well. We will ditch the KJV. All faults , flaws , sins they mean the same across the board and no fault , flaw , sin can enter into heaven. Nice try though. I will be back , to discuss this in further detail . Thanks for engaging in conversation. God willing, we can resume tomorrow.

Example in the NT:

For fifteen hundred years the world accepted Catholic teaching of mortal and venial sins. You must remember Sola Scriptura.......scripture alone will teach us is the main reason there are numerous interpretations. Every person has an opinion according to their education, personality type, gender type, denomination etc

For fifteen hundred years the world accepted Catholic teaching of mortal and venial sins. You must remember Sola Scriptura.......scripture alone will teach us is the main reason there are numerous interpretations. Every person has an opinion according to their education, personality type, gender type, denomination etc
Are you saying there is ONE kind of sin, even though the scriptures clearly say contrary? So Gender type now plays into how scripture is interpreted, Oy Vey!

Staff Member
All faults , flaws , sins they mean the same across the board and no fault , flaw , sin can enter into heaven

Greetings,

thanks be to God, though, for He has provided a Lamb, Who is the Way

all the more reason to build each other up and collectively give thanks. Our confession is Christ and Him crucified

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member
Are you saying there is ONE kind of sin, even though the scriptures clearly say contrary? So Gender type now plays into how scripture is interpreted, Oy Vey!

beware of pride and boasting.... it can be the undoing of a man, no matter how much they know

Bless you ....><>

beware of pride and boasting.... it can be the undoing of a man, no matter how much they know

Bless you ....><>
Not sure if you are implying something about me or pointing out to me something about others. If there is any boast for any man his boast should be IN the Lord. My boast is Christ . Those who do not question the OBVIOUS in scripture can never have an undoing.
1 Corinthians 1:31
31Therefore, as it is written: “Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.”

Jeremiah 9:23

23This is what the LORD says: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, nor the strong man in his strength, nor the wealthy man in his riches. 24But let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD, who exercises loving devotion, justice and righteousness on the earth—for I delight in these things,” declares the LORD.…

Active
Okay don't accept the Catholic doctrine of venial or mortal sin. The thing is , it is supported by scripture, that is my point. Clearly a person can fall into mortal sin and a person can commit venial is all I am pointing out. Sola Scriptura! Point, it is in scripture whether you think it can happen or not. What is the Full Catholic doctrine on venial and mortal sin anyway? I just agree with what the scripture says about it. Perhaps you can enlighten me? Is what they teach about the two not supported by the scriptures?
Mortal and venial sins are in essence grievous and non grievous sins. The main verse talking to it is in 1 John 5:16 'sins unto death'.

The part I disagree with is the teaching on Purgatory. The saints who commit few venial sins will bypass purgatory. Many will go to purgatory to atone for their sins. Some mortal sinners will not go to purgatory but straight to hell. There is logic to this. I don't completely disagree. It is just that Jesus washes clean all sinners who repent. No need to atone. Whether we committed mortal or venial sins. But what is for certain even with this understanding is the fact that if we are in mortal sin, it does not point to us being Christians / saved. When Paul accepted Jesus he stopped murdering. He never returned to it.

I'll end here. Thank you for what you could extend to me in hospitality. I will continue to communion and fellowship with all denominations because my Mother Land is the Jerusalem above . I have no husband of the world, my Husband is above and within. I am not bound to the father- in- Laws. I am free !

Active
There is some prophecy for what I am experiencing and what is to come of it. I am not going to share that just yet. I am first testing to see how indoctrinated everyone here is.
Any prophecy must tie up with scripture. False prophecies can be a mortal sin and they must terrify us. Deut 13 is clear on this.

Question; do you think it is a wrap concerning gaining more knowledge concerning the meaning of the everlasting gospel? Do you think that some of the doctrines of denominations have been wrongly formulated, even in your denomination?
We must always grow in knowledge. I don't like to promote division in Christianity. Paul united us all and was clear on what is important in 1 Cor 2:2 For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.

Mortal and venial sins are in essence grievous and non grievous sins. The main verse talking to it is in 1 John 5:16 'sins unto death'.

The part I disagree with is the teaching on Purgatory. The saints who commit few venial sins will bypass purgatory. Many will go to purgatory to atone for their sins. Some mortal sinners will not go to purgatory but straight to hell. There is logic to this. I don't completely disagree. It is just that Jesus washes clean all sinners who repent. No need to atone. Whether we committed mortal or venial sins. But what is for certain even with this understanding is the fact that if we are in mortal sin, it does not point to us being Christians / saved. When Paul accepted Jesus he stopped murdering. He never returned to it.

Purgatory derives from the Hebrew Doctrine called (The Passing Through the Fire). It is the belief that all souls go through the fire of God. For the baptized believer it means, that if you die with sins that are unintentional (venial) you will not go to hell. Because you have been baptized in Christ you will be saved but only as one snatched out of the fire. ALL souls pass through the cleansing , purging fire of God. St. Paul reveals this in great detail :
Christ Our Foundation 1 Corinthians 3:10-14

10By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one must be careful how he builds. 11For no one can lay a foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

12If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, or straw, 13his workmanship will be evident, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will prove the quality of each man’s work. 14If what he has built survives, he will receive a reward. 15If it is burned up, he will suffer loss.( He himself will be saved, but only as if through the flames).

St. Paul uses tangible things to explain the concept. Depending upon your quality , will the affect of the Fire of God be determined. Meaning; silver and gold doctrine can have dross, depending on the quality. This is an example of the person, his doctrines and /or life actions will determine how much dross they have. Precious gems do not have dross and the affect of God's holy fire is more like passing through warm milk. Nothing separates from the precious gem, but silver and gold, depending on their quality their could be dross . This refers ONLY TO UNINTENTIONAL SIN, venial. The wood , hay and straw though have no redeeming qualities, there is NOTHING to save therefore , no snatching out -but are cast away to hell. That is why I examine all I post according to scripture, as well as all other's works. This includes doctrines of Christians throughout the history of the faith and denominations. In so doing I learn if whether , they produced silver , gold or precious gem doctrines, or just hay , wood or straw. When I find mistakes, I can tell what quality their doctrine is. If I find NOTHING but continual error I know where they went after their last breath! This goes across the board with all life.

Since scripture is NOT the extent of the foundation but all Life stands upon a foundation laid by the WORD :
The Beginning John 1:1-2
1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.…

The Beginning John 1:3-4
3Through Him all things were made, and without Him nothing was made that has been made. 4In Him was life, and that life was the light of men.…
No one can deny the Word made everything,
No one can deny that God is present everywhere because He is Omnipresent. And there is no denying that God Is a Holy Fire! His essence test everything.

All silver , gold and precious gems are baptized persons in Christ. Hay wood and straw may have at one time been baptized, but have lost their faith and end it up in mortal sin. Also , hay , wood and straw are all other non believers , religions outside of Christ. They have produced life actions worthy of a complete burning, in a sentence of hell. All murders, sorcerers , the sexually immoral ex...are hay, wood and straw.

All souls go through the fire. I strive to be a precious gem in my life choices, actions and doctrines.

God Bless and Peace!

Loyal

Indeed there is only one sin Jesus describes as unforgivable as you state. Other sins are forgivable, but if a person completes his allotted time here without receiving God's necessary forgiveness for any sin then Paul's words should apply:

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Rom 6:23