• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Is the Spirit "in" or "on" you?

Loyal
The Holy Spirit.

In us, or upon us? Or both? Is there a difference?
Pentecostals have always believed that there is a difference between receiving the Holy Spirit
and being "baptized" in the Holy Spirit.

There argument for this, is that no one in the Bible was "baptized" in the Holy Spirit when they
got saved. It always came at some point after the believed in Jesus.

However it appears that some (if not all), received the Holy Spirit within them when they got saved.
I find this difference in the language intriguing.

In many verses we see the phrase "the (Holy) Spirit upon or orsomeone.
Matt 12:18; Mark 1:10; Luke 1:35; Luke 4:18; John 1:33; Acts 1:8; Acts 10:44; Acts 11:15;

There seems to be a Holy Spirit that all believers have within them.
But this being baptized in the Holy Spirit, this where supernatural power comes from. Power that
we don't normally have on our own.

So why do many verses use the phrase on (or upon) you when talking about the Holy Spirit.
Acts 2:17; Acts 10:45; Acts 19:6; 1 Pet 4:14; etc...

but yet, many other verses use the phrase "in" or "within" you, when talking about the Holy Spirit.
Rom 5:5; 1 Pet 1:11; John 14:17; Acts 6:3; Rom 8:9; Rom 8:11; Rom 14:17; 1 Cor 3:16; etc...

I have noticed this isn't simply just a figure of speech due to language translation, but the words are
actually different in the Greek.

eperchomai - to supervene, arrive, occur, impend, attack, influence, come upon.

oikeō - to occupy, to inhabit, to reside, to dwell.

One word seems to indicate the Holy Spirit is simply "within" us, or dwells within us.
The other word seems to indicate that the Holy Spirit can "arrive" upon us, or "occur" upon us, and can "influence" us.

I notice in the old testament not very many people had the Holy Spirit, normally only prophets (such as Elijah) , kings of
Israel (such as David)leaders of Israel (such as Moses), judges, such as Samson. There were some exceptions, like in Numbers
chapter 11, the Holy Spirit is given to seventy elders among the Israelites, and they prophesy (only one time), but
then the Spirit is taken away from them, and they never have that power again.

... to be continued ...

Loyal
If we just have the Holy Spirit in us... It's very likely we will have a big change of heart about some things.
Sin is no longer appealing to us. We no longer "want" to sin. We may start exhibiting some of the fruit of the Spirit.
We may have more love for other people, (even people that we didn't like very much). We may pray more, we may
read the Bible more, and those are all good things. But that isn't the "power" of the Holy Spirit.
These are these even the unsaved do sometimes, even "cult" Christians can do these things. So it isn't really
all that supernatural.

Then we see those who have been "baptized" in the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit, has come "upon" them.
They now have a supernatural power. Some can speak in tongues, some can interpret, some can prophesy,
some can heal people, some can do miracles, ... etc... ( 1 Cor 12 talks more about this)
But these are supernatural things. Things we cannot do on our own power. We need a supernatural power
source (such as the Holy Spirit) in order to be able to do these things.

Jesus said when the Holy Spirit will come "upon" us. We will receive "power" from on high. (Acts 1:8; )
Do you have this power? This supernatural ability? Or are you just like everyone else you know? Yes, you believe in Jesus,
but has the Holy Spirit come upon you? I'm not asking in the Spirit dwells within you. I'm asking if He has come upon you
and given this supernatural power.

When the Holy Spirit has come upon you, you can cast out demons, you can discern evil spirits, you can heal, and do miracles.
Not everyone has all of the gifts (I believe no one (except Jesus) has ALL of the gifts). But the Bible says we all have at least one of the gifts.
Do you know what yours is? Are exercising it? How do you know it's your gift, if you aren't?

It's much the same with sin. We can't conquer sin on our own. We are only human. If we could beat sin on our own, we wouldn't need
Jesus, we wouldn't need the Holy Spirit. It isn't simply having the Holy Spirit within us, but having the supernatural power on being baptized
in the Holy Spirit. Of having the Holy Spirit come upon you. The power to do things you can't do on your own, like resist sin.

Have you struggled with the same sin for years? Yes, you are a Christian. Yes, you believe in Jesus. Yes, you want to quit doing certain sins.
In fact you hate that sin, you hate it!! So why can't you stop doing it? Because you don't have the power to do it on your own.
You need a supernatural power. A power beyond your own ability. Have you been baptized in the Holy Spirit? Has He come upon you?

... to be continued ...

Loyal
I have noticed some people just "stop growing" in some ways.
They may be 30, 40 or even 50 years old. But they are a teenager socially, a mere child when it comes to responsibility.
Now sometimes this is due to a mental handicap, perhaps caused by physical trauma, or they were born that way.
But many times this is due to another kind of trauma, something bad happened to them in their past, and they never
were able to grow past it.
Some people are mentally children, some or socially inept, some are emotionally stunted, they have grown and aged
physically, but not in all other ways, (perhaps some ways, but not all).

I believe it's the same with Christians. Some have just stopped growing Spiritually for some reason (usually sin related).
There at the same place Spiritually they were 20 years ago. They are never able to move past that. Why?
Is it because God doesn't have the power to change them? Or is it because they haven't ever really been baptized in
the Holy Spirit?

.. to be continued ...

Loyal
This forum is a blessing, unfortunately I have not managed to take part as much as I would like or have in the past, studies, commitments and long running health issues do limit me terribly. I cannot go into detail on here it would be wrong to do so. Should anyone feel it in their heart to pray please do so as the Spirit guides you.

Meanwhile, I confirm, although not taken part, I do read selected threads as time allows and always find them a Blessing. I have been doing a study on a past issue we discussed together, one which tugged on my heart as unfinished leaving outstanding concerns, one which I felt further confirmation from the Word was needed and the Holy Spirit was the only one to help in this situation. Time allowing I will share this, not in the original thread as it would get buried, but as a separate tread referring to the first discussion if I may.

May the Holy Spirit guide our hearts and minds in all Truth, according to God's will for mankind, through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Sorry for breaking into this thread my friend, may the Lord Bless you and our brothers and sisters in Christ on here, may He guide you and protect you all. In Jesus Name Amen.

Loyal
I have noticed some people just "stop growing" in some ways.
They may be 30, 40 or even 50 years old. But they are a teenager socially, a mere child when it comes to responsibility.
Now sometimes this is due to a mental handicap, perhaps caused by physical trauma, or they were born that way.
But many times this is due to another kind of trauma, something bad happened to them in their past, and they never
were able to grow past it.
Some people are mentally children, some or socially inept, some are emotionally stunted, they have grown and aged
physically, but not in all other ways, (perhaps some ways, but not all).

I believe it's the same with Christians. Some have just stopped growing Spiritually for some reason (usually sin related).
There at the same place Spiritually they were 20 years ago. They are never able to move past that. Why?
Is it because God doesn't have the power to change them? Or is it because they haven't ever really been baptized in
the Holy Spirit?

.. to be continued ...

One of the main reasons a natural child does not grow properly is that he does not eat and drink properly and regularly. It must be very similar with believers:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. " John 6:53-56

Loyal
The Holy Spirit.

In us, or upon us? Or both? Is there a difference?
Pentecostals have always believed that there is a difference between receiving the Holy Spirit
and being "baptized" in the Holy Spirit.

There argument for this, is that no one in the Bible was "baptized" in the Holy Spirit when they
got saved. It always came at some point after the believed in Jesus.

However it appears that some (if not all), received the Holy Spirit within them when they got saved.
I find this difference in the language intriguing.

In many verses we see the phrase "the (Holy) Spirit upon or orsomeone.
Matt 12:18; Mark 1:10; Luke 1:35; Luke 4:18; John 1:33; Acts 1:8; Acts 10:44; Acts 11:15;

There seems to be a Holy Spirit that all believers have within them.
But this being baptized in the Holy Spirit, this where supernatural power comes from. Power that
we don't normally have on our own.

So why do many verses use the phrase on (or upon) you when talking about the Holy Spirit.
Acts 2:17; Acts 10:45; Acts 19:6; 1 Pet 4:14; etc...

but yet, many other verses use the phrase "in" or "within" you, when talking about the Holy Spirit.
Rom 5:5; 1 Pet 1:11; John 14:17; Acts 6:3; Rom 8:9; Rom 8:11; Rom 14:17; 1 Cor 3:16; etc...

I have noticed this isn't simply just a figure of speech due to language translation, but the words are
actually different in the Greek.

eperchomai - to supervene, arrive, occur, impend, attack, influence, come upon.

oikeō - to occupy, to inhabit, to reside, to dwell.

One word seems to indicate the Holy Spirit is simply "within" us, or dwells within us.
The other word seems to indicate that the Holy Spirit can "arrive" upon us, or "occur" upon us, and can "influence" us.

I notice in the old testament not very many people had the Holy Spirit, normally only prophets (such as Elijah) , kings of
Israel (such as David)leaders of Israel (such as Moses), judges, such as Samson. There were some exceptions, like in Numbers
chapter 11, the Holy Spirit is given to seventy elders among the Israelites, and they prophesy (only one time), but
then the Spirit is taken away from them, and they never have that power again.

... to be continued ...

I've been ruminating on this question for a week now and only have a weak opinion. I'm coming to the conclusion that the answer is 'both'.
1 Corinthians 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace (the empowering PRESENCE) which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace (the empowering PRESENCE) of God which was with me.

Galatians 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
When we are born again the Holy Spirit takes up residence in our spirit. He is in us... Look....By grace hmmm Let me drop the word grace and simply run with its meaning...
1 Corinthians 15:10
But because of the empowering PRESENCE of God I am what I am: and His empowering PRESENCE which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the empowering PRESENCE of God which was with me.

I am not large enough to contain the PRESENCE of God. He has to be all over me, inside and out.

One other thing....We have the Holy Spirit in us, yes. But truly, we have the entire Godhead in and on us...Jesus said "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father"
John 10:30
I and my Father are one. The Holy Spirit is part of both All three are one. That means that if you have one inside of you, then you have all three...

entiende usted? Just as the trinity is difficult to explain, this is difficult, though this is easier I think.

Active
We believe He lives in us and because He lives in us His Holy Ghost power comes upon us when He chooses it too. When we feel His presence upon us we have power and authority to raise the dead. God's timing is perfect and know exactly what we need and when we need it.

Yes, one can "feel" the Holy Spirit rest upon them.

He is in me All the time, my comforter, my teacher; but when I feel His Spirit come rest upon me I know I am in the presence of the Lord by Devine appointment. Amen. The dead are raised, the lame walks and blind eyes are healed; not by my power, but by His. Amen

I believe in both...Spirit within and Spirit Upon.
The disciples had two different experiences (John 20:22 and Acts 2)

Loyal
Being "born of the Spirit" causes that Spirit to dwell "in" that person as the "comforter". Having the Holy Spirit to come "upon" a person is for power for service.

Authority that Jesus gave to his Church is useless if there is no "power" to back up that "authority."

Joh 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Joh 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Act 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.