• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Is the Bible perfect?

What's your position on the bibles integrity.

• The bible is not perfect

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It has translation issues

• Only the spirit of God can discern

• Man has added to Gods word

• Man has not added to Gods word

• I notice contradictions

• Total voters
Loyal
According to John 1. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. In verse 14 it says the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.
If Jesus is the Word, and the Word isn't perfect... then Jesus isn't perfect.

This is an important issue, because if we start saying parts of the Bible are wrong.... then the obvious question is... "which" parts?
Once we start picking and choosing which parts are right and which parts are wrong then we can make up whatever doctrine and theology we like.

Active
According to John 1. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. In verse 14 it says the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.
If Jesus is the Word, and the Word isn't perfect... then Jesus isn't perfect.

This is an important issue, because if we start saying parts of the Bible are wrong.... then the obvious question is... "which" parts?
Once we start picking and choosing which parts are right and which parts are wrong then we can make up whatever doctrine and theology we like.

I like what B_A_C posted. I'm going to stick with him. There are those who would tear down the Word of God as we have it in the KJV of the Bible. I do find a lot of errors in the newer translations which have as it's foundation in Egyptian manuscripts.

Staff Member
You can comment on this if you'd like.

OT, NT, both? :)

First my take and then at the end there is a nice break down of this very question which is explained by Frank Turek (video) at a University in Texas to students here in America.

It seems what we're looking at is "accuracy" and "truth". The better question and many of the problems comes down to "context" and "greater context". So, is it necessary to be perfectly accurate to convey the truth in Scripture? If we were dealing with Mathematical calculations. Measuring the legs on a table. I'd say yes!! Yet, in the telling of History, and Biblical Doctrine. Not so much, especially given that the events and doctrines being communicated are accurate and do convey the truth. :)

All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Inspired? - Strongs defines it as follows:

θεόπνευστος theópneustos, theh-op'-nyoo-stos; from G2316 and a presumed derivative oF G4154 divinely breathed in:—given by inspiration of God.

Yet, still the understanding provides the truth of what is written. To break it down a little bit. The things that are not seen that are of God cannot be discovered by the natural man, rather are revealed/communicated by the Spirit, and discerned/understood by believers Spiritually..........

but just as it is written,"THINGS WHICH EYE HAS NOT SEEN AND EAR HAS NOT HEARD,AND which HAVE NOT ENTERED THE HEART OF MAN,ALL THAT GOD HAS PREPARED FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM." 10 For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. 11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, 13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. 14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. 1 Corinthians 2:9-14

For if you cry for discernment,Lift your voice for understanding; 4 If you seek her as silver And search for her as for hidden treasures; 5 Then you will discern the fear of the LORD And discover the knowledge of God. 6 For the LORD gives wisdom;From His mouth come knowledge and understanding. Proverbs 2:3-6

The Spirit of the LORD will rest on Him,The spirit of wisdom and understanding,The spirit of counsel and strength,The spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD. Isaiah 11:2

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. John 14:26

Now there's an example of what really stumps many people when looking at for instance the Gospels. "Even the versions that agree with each other contain Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John which "seem" to disagree with each other?" :)

Just remember with scripture the telling appears to be different, because each writer brings to the table something unique and different about them. Our God is one of variety! We're not exactly the same are we? and being in Christ Jesus the differences at times become even more pronounced!

Man provides a perfect example of what happens.

You have ten people who view a car accident. Guess how many differing accounts to the exactness of the events you're going to get? Yep! ..10! :) Even if they were Apostles! LOL Why? Because the focus of each person is not on the same thing. What is important to you in viewing the accident say as a mechanic might not be the same as the one who is a medic. Apostles were different men and of differing character. Each brought to the table something unique that God wanted each to communicate in the way they communicated it. Keep in mind that they were chosen and not the other way around. Each Gospel communicates something different, yet no one can say that the accounts given did not happen though the focus is different :) For me that they are different just confirms their authenticity. If they were the same word for word. I'd have a greater doubt of this.

As believers we know, understand, discern certain truths.

How do we know? Well, we go to Scripture :)

"If anyone is willing to do His will, he will know of the teaching, whether it is of God or whether I speak from Myself. John 7:17

"Now then go, and I, even I, will be with your mouth, and teach you what you are to say." Exodus 4:12

We could go on and on because Scripture leads us from one part to another, to another etc. We dissect scripture and say "This part is truth" and "This other part is truth", rather than holding the entirety of Scripture in our Hands and say "THIS IS TRUTH"! We have a tendency to bow to the unbeliever because in exegesis we don't study enough!! I include myself in this as well. :-(

holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, so that he will be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict. 10 For there are many rebellious men, empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, Titus 1:9-10

Now as far as copies and "errors in the bible". As I mentioned earlier a video on this that you should enjoy.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
Nick
<><

Active
Brother floor. The answer i have found lies in whether or not a person makes the choice to become a believer or not in it! Before being a believer, like many, I first heard the Word of the Lord given to me by others.( Rom 10:17) As a small boy though I was lied to about santa claus,the easter bunny,the tooth fairy etc...so by the time I was told that Jesus really was true,I choose not to believe anything!

When you own parents lied about something,and you get into fight after fight in school looking to defend you parents,and come to find out that your own parents lied about all of this,well you can sure understand how much it took me to become a believer! The miracle of believing God's Word came during my second tour in Vietnam,we were on a black ops mission along the perfume river near Saigon and one of the Seals happened to be a believer,people like myself who did not believe, kind of stayed close to this guy Mike,because for one reason or another he would always make it through some of the most toughest battles!!

A sniper hit his mark of him as we were moving along the river,and as he lay dieing in my hands, he looked up at me and said something I could never forget! I know where i am going mark,and since Jesus died for each of us and shed his blood for those he loved,hey since you are good enough for Jesus brother,you are good enough for me,and then perished!

My testimony is rather a long one brother,and perhaps if you wish one day I may share this with those here.My starting point now as a believer begins in mark 5:1-20 for like this man, I to had an unclean spirit living inside me.

YES brother floor the Bible is true! When the supernatural comes into contact with the natural something has to give! And as this happened to me at age 22 I can testify myself that Jesus and his very Word are very real!( Psalm 138:2) For those who may still doubt( Jude 1:21-25)

The Lord has given me plenty of grace for them! I understand!!( 2Peter 3:18) I do not nag a person half to death about becoming a believer!( Proverbs 25:17!!) LOL. Rather I bear the fruit of being a believer!( Matt 13:23) and let Holy Spirit do the moving! for no matter ones feeling at any given time, there is always hope in believing!!!( Rom 15:13!!!)