• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Is smoking Tobacco a sin

i am a light smoker who was born again 2 years ago I have aspergers and have tried to quit I wondered am I going to go to hell if I don't quit also any advice is good

Loyal
I wondered am I going to go to hell if I don't quit also any advice is good

I don't think there's any doubt that smoking is un-healthy. There have been hundreds of research articles on this.
I don't think I've ever seen one that doesn't say smoking has adverse affects.

It's true we aren't suppose to do anything to hurt our bodies. 1 Cor 3:16-17; 1 Cor 6:18-20;
However it seems quite a few of us do. It isn't just smoking tobacco.
Alcohol kills brain cells. A proven fact. Smoking marijuana affects long term memory. A proven fact.
Too much sugar can cause diabetes. Too much food can cause obesity. Even being slothful and
lazy is a sin. Matt 25:26; Titus 1:12; etc.. Anorexia isn't good for the body either.
===================================================================================
My advice is, don't give up. There are sin's we sometimes struggle with.
When we give up, and say it doesn't matter anymore... or even give in and say it isn't sin anymore.
That's when we are in trouble,
The fact that you are even asking this question, and you have doubts shows that God is working in you.
We truly can overcome with Him to help us. Sometimes it doesn't happen the way we think it should
in the time we think it should. But it will happen when both God and us are ready. The thing is, God is
ready for us to stop sinning now.

I personally don't feel anyone will go to heaven because they smoke cigarettes. But even so, people really
should try to stop. 2 Pet 2:19;

I have been trying my best I think preyer is my best way I really want to quit it is my 2nd attempt is it true that closer you are to the Lord you will go to heaven

Her

i am a light smoker who was born again 2 years ago I have aspergers and have tried to quit I wondered am I going to go to hell if I don't quit also any advice is good

It's an unhealthy habit. It doesn't only hurt you, but it hurts other people around you (I can't stand second hand smoke). You can't quit, because, quite simply, you're addicted to the nicotine and other crap they put in cigarettes. You also probably have zero willpower. If you really, really wanted to.. You could.

But keep in mind, you will probably get withdrawals, and it won't be easy. Depends how bad you want to make the change.

In this day and age, with the obvious and proven damage cigarettes cause (like uh, cancer?) why quitting isn't a priority, is beyond me? You're slowly just killing yourself.

Loyal
The answer of course is whatever God says it is, but the specifics will vary from person to person and circumstance to circumstance. In this natural very limited life, all of us have focused too much on this world of men rather than on the things of heaven as per God for whatever reasons. We, all of us, have become infested with attachments to the things of men because of our very corruptible flesh:

"For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. " I John 2:16

Jesus came to provide a Way, when there was no way, to enter back into the Garden and partake of the Tree of Life. The obstacles which hinder us contained in the verse I quoted may be broken down further to include particular things such as addictions to nicotine or other elements of the world which attracted or attract us.

We cannot overcome them alone... but we do not have to...! The pathway provided is found in scripture as the Holy Spirit in us guides us. I have always found a good easy answer in this verse:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" Matt 6:33

The answer is easy, but the implementation of the answer may be much more difficult as anyone who has had to fight spiritual battles will already know...

Jesus describes the pathway here, but help is needed...

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matt 11:28-30

Active
Disneytfan30 When others look to hinder you because of what they do not like others doing please remind them of this! Rom 14:13-14 Verse 14 Nothing means nothing! Now! If Holy Spirit is leading you to stop something, then by all means stop,if others look to be our judge in things, then it is there problem, do not let it become your problem to! While easy to judge another,we remember greatly verse 4 of Rom 2:1-5! Blessing.

1) We are told that our bodies are the living temples of God, by presence of the Holy Spirit, and thus to revere, honor, and keep it "clean." Therefrore, any pollution we knowingly inject into it would qualify as sin to an extent.
2) This sin is no more sin than the "white lies," people tell on a daily basis; nor the quick anger we sometimes express; nor the failure to do the good which we know we ought to do. This being said, NO smoking will not disqualify one from heaven.
3) In order to clarify point #2; see Paul's exhortation in Romans 7:14-22. There is a difference between intentional sin and the flesh's nature being bound to sin in spite of our greatest efforts to restrain it. This does not excuse sin, endorse sin, or promote sin mind you; what it does is clarify the difference from an intentional/state of heart standpoint. IE, if one struggles with smoking and wants to quit, wishes they never began, and despises its hold over them; then this in itself is true repentance-one can still have the physical inability to break the chains the heart is turned against. This was what Paul expounded when he lamented, "What I want to do I cannot manage, but that which I do not want to do I do. For the willingness is present but how to accomplish that which I will eludes me."

Would you smoke a cigarette in front of God? I mean you are. But when he puts you on the stand, would you? Hey he delivered me from an 18 year alcohol addiction. I don't do 12 step or AA. He completely delivered me from it, because he is that awesome.

Loyal

Matthew 15:11
11 What makes a person unclean is not what goes into his mouth; rather, what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him unclean!”

Active

Smoking cigarettes doesn't send anyone to hell. My question is, why would you ask? Apparently you have come under conviction concerning it, and such conviction probably is from God. Which means, it won't affect your eternal destiny, but because He is signaling you it is time to quit, then it becomes an issue with your daily relationship with God.

Quantrill

Loyal
Smoking cigarettes doesn't send anyone to hell. My question is, why would you ask? Apparently you have come under conviction concerning it, and such conviction probably is from God. Which means, it won't affect your eternal destiny, but because He is signaling you it is time to quit, then it becomes an issue with your daily relationship with God.

Quantrill
Some churches actually teach that smoking is sin.

Active
@Bendito

'And what' was my question.

I never said smoking was not a sin. I said smoking would not send anyone to hell. Smoking becomes a sin when God is wanting you to give it up, and you know it, but don't. And if God wants you to give it up, you will know it. Same with chewing tobacco or snuff. It is no problem till God says it is a problem.

Quantrill

Loyal
@Bendito

'And what' was my question.

I never said smoking was not a sin. I said smoking would not send anyone to hell. Smoking becomes a sin when God is wanting you to give it up, and you know it, but don't. And if God wants you to give it up, you will know it. Same with chewing tobacco or snuff. It is no problem till God says it is a problem.

Quantrill
I never said you said smoking is a sin...Why are you arguing....All I said, and all I meant is in post #13

Active
I never said you said smoking is a sin...Why are you arguing....All I said, and all I meant is in post #13

Well, I assumed you wanted to discuss the issue, my mistake. What you said in post [HASH=2197]#(13[/HASH]) was incomplete. In other words, some churches say infant baptism is required. Some churches say your faith should be tested with live poisonous snakes. So, that some churches 'say' that, really is empty. It neither adds or takes away from the original question.

Quantrill

Staff Member
Smoking will not affect your salvation

But It must grieve the Lord's heart to see His children actively and willingly cause harm to their bodies continually.

Also anything that is habit forming and addictive makes a person a slave to the addiction.

As a healthcare professional I see the effects of smoking physically and mentally.
It is not a pretty sight.

The dearest idol I have known,
Whate’er that idol be
Help me to tear it from Thy throne,
And worship only Thee*

*William Cowper 18th century hymn

Loyal
Another perspective perhaps.

1 Cor 3:16; Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
1 Cor 3:17; If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are.