• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Is profanity a sin?

Loyal
I'm talking about cussing, cursing, profanity here. Not curses as in being "cursed" by God.
But curse words.

Matt 15:11; It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man.”

Unfortunately some Christians are the most prolific cursers I know. They love Jesus, but every other word
out of their mouth is the "F" word or another just as bad.

Matt 15:18; But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man.

Rom 3:12; All have turned aside, together they have become useless;
There is none who does good, There is not even one.”
Rom 3:13; “Their throat is an open grave,
With their tongues they keep deceiving,” “The poison of asps is under their lips”;
Rom 3:14; “Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness”;

Eph 4:29[ Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.
Eph 4:30; Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

Do the words we say grieve the Holy Spirit sometimes? Do we speak "unwholesomely"?

James 3:6; And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell.
James 3:8; But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison.
James 3:9; With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God;
James 3:10; from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way.
James 3:11; Does a fountain send out from the same opening both fresh and bitter water?

Is bitter (sewer) water coming from your mouth?

Loyal
@B-A-C
When I was young and knew God only as a devout Catholic, I formed the habit of never using the words to which you refer even though most or even all of my friends did.

Not until I was an active duty soldier in Viet Nam did my need to be like my fellows overcome my resistance to such speech. For that year I slipped that way, but when after 12 months I returned home and was released from active duty, my heart smote me when such words wanted to come to my tongue. I wasn't really directly serving God during any of this time [I had backslid from even Catholicism after high school (1961 grad)], but I had made a vow to God when I was about 10 years old to be faithful to Him.

When I got out of the army in 1966 at age 22 I wasn't serving God, but my vow to Him was still there in my heart and I returned to it never again to leave regularly [This means that on rare occasions I slipped for a moment or so.]

God does work with people who are not serving Him or even trying to serve or who are trying to serve Him wrong. I worked hard to run myself into the pits of hell, but God kept me from the worst me until I was ready to repent and really work to be on his side. That began in 1976 at age 32. I received the baptism of the Holy Ghost that year and began for the first time in my life to read the Bible.

I have had to fight many battles since then in my walk, but the battle of words which are in themselves profane was no longer among them. Now, with all who serve God I am an overcomer in part, but eventually with God's help I will overcome all my world as did Jesus.

Give God the glory!

Loyal
@B-A-C
When I was young and knew God only as a devout Catholic, I formed the habit of never using the words to which you refer even though most or even all of my friends did.

Not until I was an active duty soldier in Viet Nam did my need to be like my fellows overcome my resistance to such speech. For that year I slipped that way, but when after 12 months I returned home and was released from active duty, my heart smote me when such words wanted to come to my tongue. I wasn't really directly serving God during any of this time [I had backslid from even Catholicism after high school (1961 grad)], but I had made a vow to God when I was about 10 years old to be faithful to Him.

When I got out of the army in 1966 at age 22 I wasn't serving God, but my vow to Him was still there in my heart and I returned to it never again to leave regularly [This means that on rare occasions I slipped for a moment or so.]

God does work with people who are not serving Him or even trying to serve or who are trying to serve Him wrong. I worked hard to run myself into the pits of hell, but God kept me from the worst me until I was ready to repent and really work to be on his side. That began in 1976 at age 32. I received the baptism of the Holy Ghost that year and began for the first time in my life to read the Bible.

I have had to fight many battles since then in my walk, but the battle of words which are in themselves profane was no longer among them. Now, with all who serve God I am an overcomer in part, but eventually with God's help I will overcome all my world as did Jesus.

Give God the glory!

@amadeus2 - Thank you for that testimony! So encouraging to read how God worked in your heart and life. God's grace is amazing!

Loyal
Is bitter (sewer) water coming from your mouth?

What really bothers me is hearing Christians use God's (Jesus') name in vain. When they say OMG, it is just a phrase they use without even thought that they are using the name of God. They are not calling on God (not usually).

Loyal
What really bothers me is hearing Christians use God's (Jesus') name in vain. When they say OMG,

I agree, not much difference between cursing and using the name of the Lord in vain. Another popular one is ... "Jeez" or Jeez Louise, or Jesus H Christ.
(where did the H come from?)

Exod 20:7; "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.

Loyal
What really bothers me is hearing Christians use God's (Jesus') name in vain. When they say OMG, it is just a phrase they use without even thought that they are using the name of God. They are not calling on God (not usually).
Another, Amen, on this. People are often quite good insofar as I am able to see use such expressions regularly probably intending no discredit nor insult to God, but this very apathetic attitude is nonetheless an discredit or insult to God, is it not?

When I went to West Germany as a student in 1969-1970 the first few weeks were spent in Bavaria in southern Germany. The regular greeting that most everyone used and understood was "Grüss Gott". People were simply saying "hello" and apparently the words went back to a time when many Germans were good Christians. It literally means, "Great God" or "God is great". Of course, at the time, while I understood these things, I wasn't serving God and did not consider it as an affront or insult to God. Really it was just like the "OMG" that Sue J Love mentioned and other similar expressions used in English. The verse that fits well here is this one:

"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment." Matt 12:36

Active
It doesnt come out of mine but my workmates and boss swear a lot. I just tell them they need a swear jar or owe me a pie.

Actually my boss has gotten better and Ive noticed he isnt swearing (cursing) so much when he gets frustrated or angry anymore, since I called him up on it.

Loyal
It doesnt come out of mine but my workmates and boss swear a lot. I just tell them they need a swear jar or owe me a pie.

Actually my boss has gotten better and Ive noticed he isnt swearing (cursing) so much when he gets frustrated or angry anymore, since I called him up on it.
Simply setting a good example by never doing it yourself is also a good way to let people see and notice a difference. Believers who simply don't know better and are not purposely intended evil against God may become convicted by your example to change their ways. Unbelievers may add that to the things already in their hearts which favor God. One day, one of them may ask you questions which will mean his/her heart is opening up to hearing God's Truth.

Profanity to me would be something I would never want to take part in as a believer. The scripture states the both life and death are within the power of the tongue. Other scriptures states we are to distance ourselves from all filth and darkness. To speak profanity is really filthy. What comes out of the mouth actually is evidence of what our inner spiritual condition is. So, yes I do believe profanity is sin and not only should we not participate in it we should flee from its temptations.

Loyal
Perverse talk actually goes much deeper then most believers will admit or grasp. In fact it took me far too long to understand this myself.

Perverse talk or words are anything or any spoken words that are opposed to or against the Written Word of God.

Once I accepted this and began to ask God to allow me to see, hear and recognize these kind of things, well of course He did and has been and it can get a bit tough at times. I mean you can afford to get offended about it.

This works both ways, what I say and what I hear others say. This would be a good time to mention that Judgment or judgemental or Judging others is a very good one to pray and ask Him to show you.

It's a non stop work in progress and it is an eye opener to say the least.
Blessings
W4F

Active
"But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness." (2 Timothy 2:16)

"Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners." (1 Corinthians 15:33)

"But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine." (Titus 2:1)

"If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God.." (1 Peter 4:11)

"For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." (Matthew 12:37)

I want to shoot the light on another angle here. IF you're truly a born-again believer AND you turn over your complete life to the Lord and let the Holy Spirit dwell within you, you may notice that your speech changes (among other things) -- and that cussing disappears without you even thinking about it. This happened with me. I was in prison when I got saved and well, you can imagine the amount of cussing that goes on in that sort of environment. I had actually picked up a pretty bad habit of it myself. But after about 3-4 months of being saved, one day I noticed that my cussing was gone. It's been gone since. I don't think I've said a single cuss word in more than 2 years. YMMV! It's a testimony of the Holy Spirit working within you -- to change you into the character of Jesus Christ -- I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't go around cussing all day long. If you're actively working at not cussing, you might ask the Holy Spirit to reveal why that is. He might just give you an enlightening answer...

Ephesians 4:29tells us, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." First Peter 3:10 declares, "For, whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech." James 3:9-12summarizes the issue: "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness.

Up until I would say 2 weeks ago I was throwing cus words out left and right without caring. I’m learning to think before I say & to simply come up with a new word instead! However I’m still not sure why using cus words in general is wrong.

Example A: “stubs my toe”
I scream ‘ **** ‘
( something I still do, and not sure why it’s so bad???)

Example B: I hate my “***** job!!”
(Trying to stop, also as a mannerism thing )

Idk, I mentioned I still don’t see how it’s something that is wrong. Maybe I’m hard headed lol

Staff Member
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in Thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalm 19:14

Loyal
Psa 109:17; He also loved cursing, so it came to him; And he did not delight in blessing, so it was far from him.

Rom 3:10; as it is written, "THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE;
Rom 3:14; "WHOSE MOUTH IS FULL OF CURSING AND BITTERNESS";

Jas 3:8; But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison.
Jas 3:9; With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God;
Jas 3:10; from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way.
Jas 3:11; Does a fountain send out from the same opening both fresh and bitter water?

Loyal
Exod 22:28; "You shall not curse God, nor curse a ruler of your people.
Num 23:8; "How shall I curse whom God has not cursed? And how can I denounce whom the LORD has not denounced?

It seems there is such a thing as just thinking about cursing someone.

Psa 62:4; They have counseled only to thrust him down from his high position; They delight in falsehood; They bless with their mouth, But inwardly they curse. Selah.

I never swear or rarely swear when around others and if i do, its usually bc i have pounded my thumb with a hammer or something... However, when i am alone and feel more free to be myself, i can cuss like a sailor. I tell God I am sorry but i can't seem to help it at times when life gets ...crucifying. I have been through so many weird and troubling things the last few years... I really don't think God is worried about our words, especially when said while we are alone. It does make you look bad if you are around people using a lot of swear words. But i try to be very respectful toward people, even when they get on my nerves. I can show my anger, but i very rarely use terrible swear words when i am angry... (and around others)