• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Is obedience to Jesus required?

After Salvation, What Kind of Obedience to Jesus Does God Expect?
Matt 3:8 & Luke 3:8 says, "PROVE by the way you live that you have Repented of your Sins and Turned to God." (the NKJV says, "Therefore BEAR FRUITS worthy of REPENTANCE." )

The Bible states that if we call ourselves Christians we are to BEAR FRUITS of Repentance or PROVE that we really have Repented of our Sins (Sinful Nature— Gal 5:16-21), and Turned to God (who gives us a New Nature) — Gal 5:22-26; 2 Cor 5:17.

God desires that we would live a daily life of OBEDIENCE TO GOD'S WORD.

What would we think of Apostle's Peter, John, Paul, etc. if they had said a One Time Sinner's Prayer— but then the rest of their lives they lived any old way they wanted to— maybe spending around only one hour a week with Jesus?

That's what most so called "Christians" do. Look at how much time the first Christians spent with Jesus:

Acts 5:42 "And EVERY DAY, in the Temple (church) and from house to house (public), they CONTINUED TO TEACH AND PREACH THIS MESSAGE: “JESUS IS THE MESSIAH.”
Luke 2:1-52 "She (Anna; an 84 yr old Prophet & widow) NEVER LEFT THE TEMPLE (church) but stayed there DAY AND NIGHT, WORSHIPPING GOD WITH FASTING & PRAYER. She came along just as Simeon was talking with Mary and Joseph, and she began PRAISING GOD. SHE TALKED ABOUT THE CHILD (JESUS) to EVERYONE who had been waiting expectantly for God to rescue Jerusalem."
Acts 8:4 "The Believers who were scattered PREACHED THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT JESUS WHEREEVER THEY WENT."

If they had not been OBEDIENT to Jesus we would not have the Bible like it is today. They instead produced much "Fruit" for Jesus by spending hours, and hours, and hours with Jesus by: Boldly Preaching, Teaching, and Proclaiming Jesus to the World, Writing Letters about Jesus (which is now New Testament Scriptures), Reading God's Word, Suffering for Jesus, living a life of Integrity & Holiness, and Singing about Jesus in Prison Cells while being Persecuted & Tortured for His Name sake, and the list goes on. These days we see MANY who call themselves "Christians", and go to Church on Sunday's (if that), but then they live like the World (devil) the rest of the week.

Mark 7:6 Jesus says, “These people honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me.”

These Disciples and early Christians Obeyed God's Word; that is how they showed their Honor and Love for Jesus and God the Father.

John 14:15 Jesus says, “If you love Me, OBEY MY COMMANDMENTS."
Rom 16:19 “But everyone knows that you are OBEDIENT TO THE LORD. This makes me very happy. I want you to see clearly what is right and to stay innocent of any wrong.”

So we Prove that we belong to Jesus and show our love for Him by OBEYING GOD'S WORD, AND HIS COMMANDMENTS.

If we DON'T OBEY Him, we show that we do NOT love Him.

And on the Day of Judgment Jesus says that He will say to those who did NOT OBEY HIM, but who "Broke His Laws" that He never knew these people.

Matt 7:21-23 Jesus says, "Not everyone who calls out to Me, 'Lord! Lord!' will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually DO THE WILL OF MY FATHER IN HEAVEN will enter. On Judgment Day MANY will say to Me 'Lord! Lord! We Prophesied, Cast out demons, & Performed many Miracles in Your Name.' But I will reply, 'I never knew you. Get away from Me, you who BREAK GOD'S LAWS."
By not Obeying God's Commandments we show we are NOT a Child of God destined for Heaven, but we prove that we are a Child of the Devil who is a Liar, and will Perish in Hell.

1 John 3:6-10 "Anyone who continues to live in him will NOT SIN. But anyone who KEEPS ON SINNING does NOT KNOW HIM (GOD) or understand who he is. Dear children, don’t let anyone deceive you about this: When people DO WHAT IS RIGHT, it SHOWS (PROVES) that they are RIGHTEOUS, even as Christ is righteous. But when people KEEP ON SINNING, it shows that they belong to the devil, who has been sinning since the beginning. But the Son of God came to destroy the works of the devil. Those who have been born into God’s family do NOT MAKE A PRACTICE OF SINNING, because God’s life is in them. So they can’t keep on sinning, because they are children of God. So now we can tell who are children of God and who are children of the devil. Anyone who does NOT LIVE RIGHTEOUSLY and does NOT LOVE OTHER BELIEVERS does NOT belong to God."
As a True Believer in Jesus we might Stumble and Fall along the way...but the difference between a True Christian vs the Lukewarm "Christian" is that the True Christian does NOT PRACTICE SIN.

And if we do Sin, we have a merciful Savior, Jesus Christ, who will plead our case before the Father—

1 John 2:1 "My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will NOT SIN. But IF ANYONE DOES SIN, we have an Advocate who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly Righteous."
God's will for our lives is that we REPENT, and STOP PRACTICING SIN, and Start Obeying God's Word and His Commandments.

4 - Obedience to Jesus & God's Word Scriptures

Now let's look at some more Obedience Scriptures— What God's Word says about being: Obedient To Jesus, God's Word, and God's Commandments. These Scriptures below reveal to us that we need to make sure we are living a Holy and Obedient Life.

1 John 2:3-6 "We can be sure that we know Him IF we OBEY HIS COMMANDMENTS. If someone claims, “I know God,” but doesn't’t OBEY GOD’S COMMANDMENTS, that person is a liar and is not living in the truth. But those who OBEY GOD’S WORD truly show how completely they love him. That is how we know we are living in him. Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did."
5 - Being Obedient to Jesus is an Expression of Our Love for Him
King David loved the Lord, and he loved God's Word & His Commandments. When you read ALL of Psalms 119, which by the way is the longest chapter in the Bible and contains 176 verses, you will notice that nearly every single verse talks about David's love for: God, God's Laws and his Obedience of: God's Commandments, Decrees, Promises, Commands, Word, Instructions, Regulations, Statutes, Ordinances, Testimonies, etc.!

One thing for sure, according to Scripture, God is going to be giving His Kingdom to a Holy People who will show their love to Him NOW, when it's NOT Popular to be an "SO4J" No Compromise Christian (Matt 10:37-39). God is giving His Kingdom to a People who have Listened to His Word, and who have SUBMITTED to Jesus by OBEYING GOD'S WORD (Matt 7:24-29) and by Preaching on: Sin, God's Righteousness, and warning of His Coming Judgment — like Jesus, Noah, John the Baptist, Peter, and Paul, etc.

John 16:8 Jesus says, "When He (the Holy Spirit) comes, HE will CONVICT THE WORLD of its SIN, and of GOD'S RIGHTEOUSNESS, and of the COMING JUDGMENT."

God is going to have a HOLY PEOPLE who are Humble and who have a HEART OF OBEDIENCE— and not with the impure motives for: Selfish Gain— for the Material Wealth of this Temporal Earth, and not obeying because they "have too", but because they love Jesus, God the Father, and the Holy Spirit.

Dan 7:18 "In the end, the HOLY PEOPLE of the Most High will be given the Kingdom, and they will RULE FOREVER AND EVER."
Dan 7:27 "Then the Sovereignty, Power, and Greatness of all the Kingdoms under Heaven will be given to the HOLY PEOPLE of the Most High (Jesus). His Kingdom will last FOREVER, and all RULERS will SERVE and OBEY HIM."
Jesus did NOT say to us: If you love me than just SAY how much you love me— or merely SING SONGS of how much you love Me.

No. Jesus told us that IF we LOVE HIM we are to OBEY HIS COMMANDMENTS— there is ACTION. FROM SO4J

While we are called to bear fruit that is not of ourselves. The branch can only bear fruit as the life of the Vine runs through it. We must abide in Christ and the very life of God will permeate us, cause growth and finally cause us to bear fruit.
Obedience is required, it is the source of the obedience that comes into question. Is it the work of our flesh (wood, hay or stubble)? Our are we (like Jesus) filled with, empowered by, in submission to and led by the Holy Spirit. When we (like Jesus again) do only what we see the Father do, speak only what we hear the Father saying and that only in the power of the Holy Spirit then that is gold, silver and precious stones fit to lay at the Masters feet. Anything else will be burned away.

Amen Boanerges!

I say that obedience is a result of being intimate with Christ and love is a fruit of HolySpirit. Apart from Christ we can do nothing good.

Does not Christian mean 'Christ-like' or 'Follower of Jesus'? If so, then that is what we are to be.

Yes, amen!
We are saved unto good works, not by them.
We show our faith by the works, and the works are wrought by the power of the Holy Spirit through us.
Self works are wood, hay, and stubble, and will be burned up.
May we seek daily to be filled with his Spirit, and do those things pleasing in his sight.
If we do works to be seen of men, we have our reward, but do them secretly, and he will reward us openly.

IN other words what is our heart motive, God sees clearly, and we need to examine our own heart, that it is right with God, then walk in his spirit, seeking to bring glory to his name alone. Amen?

There are many pieces to a puzzle, and only when all the pieces falls together can we see the real picture.

The question is HOW IMPORTANT IS OUR GOOD DEEDS TOWARDS OTHERS TO GOD?

Matt 16:27
"SON OF MAN WILL JUDGE ALL PEOPLE ACCORDING TO THEIR DEEDS".<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

2 Cor 9:9
"THEY SHARE FREELY AND GIVE GENEROUSLY, THEIR GOOD DEEDS WILL BE REMEMBERED FOREVER".

JAMES 2:14
"SHOW FAITH BY ACTIONS"

JAMES 2:17
"FAITH BY ITSELF IS DEAD UNLESS IT PRODUCES GOOD DEEDS"

JOB 34:11
"HE REPAYS PEOPLE ACCORDING TO THEIR DEEDS"

PROVERBS 24:12
"HE WILL REPAY ALL AS THEIR ACTIONS DESERVE"

ECCLESIASTES 3:17
"GOD WILL JUDGE ALL, FOR THEIR GOOD AND BAD DEEDS"

EZEKIEL 33:20
"I JUDGE EACH OF YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR DEEDS"

REVELATION 14:13
"BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO DIE IN THE LORD FROM NOW ON, FOR THEY WILL REST FROM THERE HARD WORK, FOR THEIR GOOD DEEDS WILL FOLLOW THEM"

REV 19:8
"FOR THE FINE LINEN REPRESENTS THE GOOD DEEDS OF GOD'S HOLY PEOPLE"

REV 20:13
"THE SEA AND GRAVE GAVE UP THEIR DEAD AND ALL WERE JUDGED ACCORDING TO THERE DEEDS"

REV 22:12
"LOOK, I AM COMING SOON, BRINGING MY REWARD WITH ME TO REPAY ALL PEOPLE ACCORDING TO THEIR DEEDS"

ROMANS 2:6
"HE WILL JUDGE ALL PEOPLE ACCORDING TO THEIR DEEDS, ETERNAL LIFE WILL BE GIVEN TO THOSE WHO PERSISTS IN DOING GOOD"

PSALM 112:9
"THEIR GOOD DEEDS WILL BE REMEMBERD FOREVER .THEY WILL HAVE INFLUENCE AND HONOR"

JAMES 2:20
"HOW FOOLISH! CAN'T YOU SEE FAITH WITHOUT GOOD DEEDS IS USELESS?

JOHN 5:29
"THOSE WHO HAVE DONE GOOD WILL RISE TO ETERNAL LIFE"

1SAMUEL 2:3

"DON'T SPEAK WITH SUCH ARROGANCE! FOR GOD KNOWS WHAT YOU HAVE DONE, HE WILL JUDGE YOUR ACTIONS".

2 CHRONICLES 6:30
GOD GIVE TO PEOPLE WHAT THEIR ACTIONS DESERVE, FOR HE ALONE KNOWS EACH HUMAN HEART.

MATTHEW 7:20
"YES, JUST AS YOU CAN IDENTIFY A TREE BY ITS FRUIT, SO YOU CAN IDENTIFY PEOPLE BY THEIR ACTIONS".

1JOHN 3:18
"LETS NOT MERELY SAY WE LOVE EACH OTHER, LET US SHOW THE TRUTH BY OUR ACTIONS".

1 JOHN 3:19
"OUR ACTIONS WILL SHOW THAT WE BELONG TO THE TRUTH, SO WE WILL BE CONFIDENT WHEN WE STAND BEFORE GOD.

REVELATION 3:2
"WAKE UP! STRENGTHEN WHAT LITTLE REMAINS, FOR EVEN WHAT IS LEFT IS ALMOST DEAD. I FIND THAT YOUR ACTIONS DO NOT MEET THE REQUIRMENTS OF GOD".

2 COR 9:7
GOD LOVES A PERSON WHO GIVES CHEERFULLY.

JAMES 2:13
THERE WILL BE NO MERCY FOR YOU IF YOU HAVE NOT BEING MERCIFUL TO OTHERS. BUT IF YOU HAVE BEEN MERCIFUL, THEN GOD’S MERCY TOWARDS YOU WILL WIN OUT OVER HIS JUDGMENT AGAINST YOU.

There are many pieces to a puzzle, and only when all the pieces falls together can we see the real picture.

The question is HOW IMPORTANT IS OUR GOOD DEEDS TOWARDS OTHERS TO GOD?

Matt 16:27
"SON OF MAN WILL JUDGE ALL PEOPLE ACCORDING TO THEIR DEEDS".

2 Cor 9:9
"THEY SHARE FREELY AND GIVE GENEROUSLY, THEIR GOOD DEEDS WILL BE REMEMBERED FOREVER".

JAMES 2:14
"SHOW FAITH BY ACTIONS"

JAMES 2:17
"FAITH BY ITSELF IS DEAD UNLESS IT PRODUCES GOOD DEEDS"

JOB 34:11
"HE REPAYS PEOPLE ACCORDING TO THEIR DEEDS"

PROVERBS 24:12
"HE WILL REPAY ALL AS THEIR ACTIONS DESERVE"

ECCLESIASTES 3:17
"GOD WILL JUDGE ALL, FOR THEIR GOOD AND BAD DEEDS"

EZEKIEL 33:20
"I JUDGE EACH OF YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR DEEDS"

REVELATION 14:13
"BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO DIE IN THE LORD FROM NOW ON, FOR THEY WILL REST FROM THERE HARD WORK, FOR THEIR GOOD DEEDS WILL FOLLOW THEM"

REV 19:8
"FOR THE FINE LINEN REPRESENTS THE GOOD DEEDS OF GOD'S HOLY PEOPLE"

REV 20:13
"THE SEA AND GRAVE GAVE UP THEIR DEAD AND ALL WERE JUDGED ACCORDING TO THERE DEEDS"

REV 22:12
"LOOK, I AM COMING SOON, BRINGING MY REWARD WITH ME TO REPAY ALL PEOPLE ACCORDING TO THEIR DEEDS"

ROMANS 2:6
"HE WILL JUDGE ALL PEOPLE ACCORDING TO THEIR DEEDS, ETERNAL LIFE WILL BE GIVEN TO THOSE WHO PERSISTS IN DOING GOOD"

PSALM 112:9
"THEIR GOOD DEEDS WILL BE REMEMBERD FOREVER .THEY WILL HAVE INFLUENCE AND HONOR"

JAMES 2:20
"HOW FOOLISH! CAN'T YOU SEE FAITH WITHOUT GOOD DEEDS IS USELESS?

JOHN 5:29
"THOSE WHO HAVE DONE GOOD WILL RISE TO ETERNAL LIFE"

1SAMUEL 2:3

"DON'T SPEAK WITH SUCH ARROGANCE! FOR GOD KNOWS WHAT YOU HAVE DONE, HE WILL JUDGE YOUR ACTIONS".

2 CHRONICLES 6:30
GOD GIVE TO PEOPLE WHAT THEIR ACTIONS DESERVE, FOR HE ALONE KNOWS EACH HUMAN HEART.

MATTHEW 7:20
"YES, JUST AS YOU CAN IDENTIFY A TREE BY ITS FRUIT, SO YOU CAN IDENTIFY PEOPLE BY THEIR ACTIONS".

1JOHN 3:18
"LETS NOT MERELY SAY WE LOVE EACH OTHER, LET US SHOW THE TRUTH BY OUR ACTIONS".

1 JOHN 3:19
"OUR ACTIONS WILL SHOW THAT WE BELONG TO THE TRUTH, SO WE WILL BE CONFIDENT WHEN WE STAND BEFORE GOD.

REVELATION 3:2
"WAKE UP! STRENGTHEN WHAT LITTLE REMAINS, FOR EVEN WHAT IS LEFT IS ALMOST DEAD. I FIND THAT YOUR ACTIONS DO NOT MEET THE REQUIRMENTS OF GOD".

2 COR 9:7
GOD LOVES A PERSON WHO GIVES CHEERFULLY.

JAMES 2:13
THERE WILL BE NO MERCY FOR YOU IF YOU HAVE NOT BEING MERCIFUL TO OTHERS. BUT IF YOU HAVE BEEN MERCIFUL, THEN GOD’S MERCY TOWARDS YOU WILL WIN OUT OVER HIS JUDGMENT AGAINST YOU.
1Co 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
1Co 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
1Co 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
1Co 3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
1Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Amen my friend we are judged according to our deeds. We are judged differently than the world though. If our deeds are based on obedience to and the empowering of the Holy Spirit (like Jesus in His earth walk) then they will heave eternal value these are silver, gold and precious stones. If they are the result of man's fleshly efforts then they will have no eternal consequence and will be burned as wood, hay and stubble. If a believers works are consumed by God's holy fire he may have no crown to at the Master's feet but he himself will be saved.
Not so for the lost as the are judged according to their own righteousness.

As far as our works; they are good and important but they are not the basis of our salvation. The following verses puts this in it's proper perspective:

Tit 3:4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
Tit 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Tit 3:6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
Tit 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Tit 3:8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Loyal
Apart from Christ we can do nothing good.

Do you mean this literally? In the sense that it is impossible for anyone who is not a Christian to do a good thing?

It wouldn't be too difficult to reel off a list of good things done by atheists, hindus, Humanists and Muslims starting, perhaps, with Mahatma Ghandi.

If this is your view, it would be interesting to know the biblical basis for it.

Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount seems to acknowledge that bad people do good things.

"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children..." Matthew 7.11

Last edited:
As far as our works; they are good and important but they are not the basis of our salvation. The following verses puts this in it's proper perspective:

Tit 3:4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
Tit 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Tit 3:6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
Tit 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Tit 3:8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

I am glad that you clarified that works are not the basis for our salvation. Many people get salvation and works all twisted around. Salvation is faith in the shed blood of Jesus Christ. If by works, we could save ourselves then Jesus would not have needed to die for our sins.We work because we are saved. We are saved unto good works.

Do you mean this literally? In the sense that it is impossible for anyone who is not a Christian to do a good thing?

It wouldn't be too difficult to reel off a list of good things done by atheists, Hindus, Humanists and Muslims starting, perhaps, with Mahatma Ghandi.

If this is your view, it would be interesting to know the biblical basis for it.

Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount seems to acknowledge that bad people do good things.

"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children..." Matthew 7.11

This is a beautiful example of how things can be misconstrued. Let us look at the other side of the coin.

Psa 14:1 [[To the chief Musician, [A Psalm] of David.]] The fool hath said in his heart, [There is] no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, [there is] none that doeth good.
Psa 14:3 They are all gone aside, they are [all] together become filthy: [there is] none that doeth good, no, not one.
Psa 53:1 [[To the chief Musician upon Mahalath, Maschil, [A Psalm] of David.]] The fool hath said in his heart, [There is] no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: [there is] none that doeth good.
Psa 53:3 Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy; [there is] none that doeth good, no, not one.
Rom 3:12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

This is interesting.What do you think that God is trying to teach us here? We know that Bible doesn't counterdict itself. This is where in order to have the mind of Christ we have to consider the overall scripture. Is it possible that one is speaking of the material realm and the other is speaking of the spiritual realm?

Last edited:
While we are called to bear fruit that is not of ourselves. The branch can only bear fruit as the life of the Vine runs through it. We must abide in Christ and the very life of God will permeate us, cause growth and finally cause us to bear fruit.
Obedience is required, it is the source of the obedience that comes into question. Is it the work of our flesh (wood, hay or stubble)? Our are we (like Jesus) filled with, empowered by, in submission to and led by the Holy Spirit. When we (like Jesus again) do only what we see the Father do, speak only what we hear the Father saying and that only in the power of the Holy Spirit then that is gold, silver and precious stones fit to lay at the Masters feet. Anything else will be burned away.

Amen Boanerges, I see that this is where we mis-understand each other....
Self works is as wood ,Hey, and stubble, but when we see fruit ,apart from our natural flesh, we then know that Christ is in us doing his work. Not ours.
When we step out in faith, and trust God to do what is not natural for us to do, we then know, it is not us, but God in us.
AS I've said before works come after salvation, not to obtain it. Laughing at myself for saying the same thing you just said, but verifying in my own words for understanding .:embarasse LOL

It wouldn't be too difficult to reel off a list of good things done by atheists, hindus, Humanists and Muslims starting, perhaps, with Mahatma Ghandi.

Isa 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Rom 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
Rom 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

Rom 3:12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

There is none good by God's standard and man's righteousness is a filthy rag. As Jesus Himself demonstrated it is the thought and intent of the heart that God measures.
That is not to say a lost person cannot do a good thing but it is to say it anything outside of Christ is unacceptable to God. Only that done in Christ has eternal weight and consequence.
In another sense nothing is done without Christ as He gives us every breath and every beat of our hearts.

Amen Boanerges, I see that this is where we mis-understand each other....
Self works is as wood ,Hey, and stubble, but when we see fruit ,apart from our natural flesh, we then know that Christ is in us doing his work. Not ours.
When we step out in faith, and trust God to do what is not natural for us to do, we then know, it is not us, but God in us.
AS I've said before works come after salvation, not to obtain it. Laughing at myself for saying the same thing you just said, but verifying in my own words for understanding . LOL

Understanding others (especially over the internet) is difficult at best.
:shock::shade:

I had a post ready to reply and lost it, but would like to make a comment on this one....thank you.

Originally Posted by Hekuran

Of course there is good works apart from faith in Jesus, but this is the outcome, and the final word from the Lord.

Matthew 7:21-22 says
Not everyone that sayeth unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doeth the will of the Father which is in Heaven.
Many will say to me in that day, Have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils, and in they name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me ye that work iniquity.....

We must be born again, for any work to be valid in the eyes of Jesus.
This is my basis for it......

John 15:4&5
4 Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful apart from me.
5 “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.

1Co 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
1Co 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
1Co 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
1Co 3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
1Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Amen my friend we are judged according to our deeds. We are judged differently than the world though. If our deeds are based on obedience to and the empowering of the Holy Spirit (like Jesus in His earth walk) then they will heave eternal value these are silver, gold and precious stones. If they are the result of man's fleshly efforts then they will have no eternal consequence and will be burned as wood, hay and stubble. If a believers works are consumed by God's holy fire he may have no crown to at the Master's feet but he himself will be saved.
Not so for the lost as the are judged according to their own righteousness.

I believe it was Leonard Ravenhill who once said that that wood, hay and stuble are things typically found above ground and easily visable, but gold, silver and precious gems are underground and not easily seen.

Last edited:
What few people understand is that by the crucifixion of Jesus He opened the door to God's Kingdom for us, but He also gave us very clear instructions how to get there (His pure teachings of love and forgiveness)

We all have a will of our own, we can either go through this door, fold our arms with the words "I am saved by grace only and all else necessary is faith, go no further than the door, or we can follow the Commandments and teachings of Jesus walk the narrow road, grow spiritually by leaps and bounds, grow close to God, make the absolute most of our life on earth and reap all the rewards (in heaven) that goes with it.

But there is a danger to the door sitter, here it is MATT 7:24 "Anyone who listens to my teachings and obey me is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock". "But anyone who ignores my teachings it is foolish"....... when every thing is starting to fall apart around that person (storms of life) his faith in God will crumble and fall apart.

Last edited: