• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wondered but is Numerology Satanic? In the bible, certain numbers have powerful means - 7 as we know is spiritual completion, etc, etc. But i've wondered... is it satanic?
I'm looking for hard evidence through scripture, not opinion on this subject.
Much appreciation all

Staff Member
@Melissa Chan
You will need to define "Numerology" and its purpose. Once you do so. You will find that this is exactly where the problem originates. I mean besides humanities curiosity!

The term/word numerology is meant to be used to determine a meaning/significance from the written word by a numerical association found outside the meaning of the word itself. In other words divination.

Since I'm sure you already know that you won't find the term numerology itself in scripture. You must also know that the word "divination" is there. Just about all of the following will in one way or another utilize/associated with numerology/divination i.e. astrology, mysticism, as well as other areas of the occult. A little research in scripture with this will most assuredly show you that this not a subject area that is condoned in Scripture or taken lightly by God.

As intriguing as the subject may appear, which is just like the Adversary to make things he would like people to enmesh themselves with. Which is why many give it a Christian or Jewish twist and the masses get drawn in like a moth to the light. My suggestion to you is to stay far, far away from it.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
Nick

Hi Nick! Thanks so much for the quick response.
Well the Numerology i'm mentioning is where numbers play a significant importance - as per the examples of the bible where certain numbers had meaning, relevance. We know 7, 8, 40, etc all have meanings.
I suppose what i'm trying to understand right now, is whether numerology is something completely under mysticism or if it can stand up outside those realms as being a study of numbers, and letters having value?
When you do some more research and understand the Fibonacci golden ratio, you see this sequence repeated in nature over and over, some people have called it the God thumbprint, God stamp, all notable, but its numerology from the perspective a repeated configuration shown up in nature. It's not to be dismissed the mysteries and yet evidences of God. Like everything, its been so heavily entangled with the occult and hence we arrive at the nebulous confusion of my question. Still...
Can we say, our God is slight, and unintentional when clearly we see he is a master architect and meticulous with everything he does? Even with numbers... i mean Godel's proof was to prove God... and if one were an honest mathematician you'd admit it too...
I'm rambling, yeah, my two cents

Staff Member
Greetings,

from Scripture concerning what Nick wrote about (above)

When you come into the land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominable practices of those nations. There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord. And because of these abominations the Lord your God is driving them out before you. Dueteronomy 18:9-12

Regarding such things a you mentioned, like number patterns found in Scripture, the Fibonacci golden ratio and the work of Gödel, these can all be very fascinating to consider but there are some things to be cautious about.

First, remember that the men who 'discovered' these principals only 'discovered' some aspects that prove to the inquiring mind that the LORD made all things AND that while one might get fascinated by the study of the mathematical sequencing or the patterns that unfold, such study is only an attempt to put down 'on paper' the wonderful design of God in all that He has made and that it is Him alone Who we should be in awe of. Yes, by all means we can be in awe of Him as we see patterns around us in creation but we must avoid going after teachings and religions that manipulate the minds of men to their advantage using the fascinating (with a lie here and and a lie there sprinkled in).

Another point to remember is that no amount of numerology or pattern mathematics will add one drop to the finished work of Christ Jesus the Son of God Who loved us and gave himself for us.
The 'practice' of numerology quickly becomes a poison to the soul as one who practices it oozes deeper and deeper into a mystical outlook towards God and the Scripture, becoming superstitious and fearful, summarizing everything with numbers and symbolisms.

While creation declares the wonder of God, it is always God Who we should be in wonder of, not His Creation.
Likewise, although there appears to be remarkable patterns in Scripture, we can easily get lost in looking to and for these patters instead of seeking the Lord to reveal Himself to us in and through Scripture. We can miss the words as we look for the numbers.
We can understand the Scripture without numerology and numerology will not add to the Gospel truth of Christ's death and resurrection nor the need for all men to repent and believe Him for what He has said, not for the numbers we might find.

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member
Hi Nick! Thanks so much for the quick response.
Well the Numerology i'm mentioning is where numbers play a significant importance - as per the examples of the bible where certain numbers had meaning, relevance. We know 7, 8, 40, etc all have meanings.
I suppose what i'm trying to understand right now, is whether numerology is something completely under mysticism or if it can stand up outside those realms as being a study of numbers, and letters having value?
When you do some more research and understand the Fibonacci golden ratio, you see this sequence repeated in nature over and over, some people have called it the God thumbprint, God stamp, all notable, but its numerology from the perspective a repeated configuration shown up in nature. It's not to be dismissed the mysteries and yet evidences of God. Like everything, its been so heavily entangled with the occult and hence we arrive at the nebulous confusion of my question. Still...
Can we say, our God is slight, and unintentional when clearly we see he is a master architect and meticulous with everything he does? Even with numbers... i mean Godel's proof was to prove God... and if one were an honest mathematician you'd admit it too...
I'm rambling, yeah, my two cents

I understand what you're trying to say. The observation I can point out is that we in attempting to codify Scripture or Creation we wind up back to words in explaining what is found. I find that a bit ironic to say the least when we already have His Word :)

Man's attempts to utilize what God has provided in order to seek a greater mystery outside of what God has already provided us, points to what Brother Bear has talked of. In that too many find the creation of God, of more import then God Himself. We start plainly with God's Word and the evidence of His Creation, then separate ourselves from it by attempting to find an insight by a process that may not be Godly at all. Similar to what we find with the Tower of Babel, where we find man desiring to go their own way about things.

It is then when mysticism, and occult practices come into play. When we don't want to accept that there are certain things that God would protect us from delving into. So, we go our own way.

Maybe, it's just hard for some who are believers to accept that no matter the evidence, there will be many who will not believe. So, if the Word of God won't do it, maybe, we can find something that will convince them.

With the Love of Christ Jesus Melissa.
Nick
<><

Here is WISDOM. Let he who hath UNDERSTANDING count the number ... ... ... ... ... 666
Rev 13:18

Is this numerology or divination?

Active
Numerology. It depends on how one uses it. Astronomers have studied the stars for years. Navigators use them for points of reference. Astrologers have also studied the stars for years, but for the purpose of determining life decisions. If one uses numbers to determine what lies ahead for the future, is it for reference or lifestyle? It's true the Bible does use numbers for illustration, but I do not believe they are meant to make determinations of whether you should eat fried eggs or boiled eggs, or whether you will have a large family or none at all.

Here is WISDOM. Let he who hath UNDERSTANDING count the number ... ... ... ... ... 666
Rev 13:18

Is this numerology or divination?
I understand what you're trying to say. The observation I can point out is that we in attempting to codify Scripture or Creation we wind up back to words in explaining what is found. I find that a bit ironic to say the least when we already have His Word :)

Man's attempts to utilize what God has provided in order to seek a greater mystery outside of what God has already provided us, points to what Brother Bear has talked of. In that too many find the creation of God, of more import then God Himself. We start plainly with God's Word and the evidence of His Creation, then separate ourselves from it by attempting to find an insight by a process that may not be Godly at all. Similar to what we find with the Tower of Babel, where we find man desiring to go their own way about things.

It is then when mysticism, and occult practices come into play. When we don't want to accept that there are certain things that God would protect us from delving into. So, we go our own way.

Maybe, it's just hard for some who are believers to accept that no matter the evidence, there will be many who will not believe. So, if the Word of God won't do it, maybe, we can find something that will convince them.

With the Love of Christ Jesus Melissa.
Nick
<><
Numerology. It depends on how one uses it. Astronomers have studied the stars for years. Navigators use them for points of reference. Astrologers have also studied the stars for years, but for the purpose of determining life decisions. If one uses numbers to determine what lies ahead for the future, is it for reference or lifestyle? It's true the Bible does use numbers for illustration, but I do not believe they are meant to make determinations of whether you should eat fried eggs or boiled eggs, or whether you will have a large family or none at all.

Shutterbug,

My question is ... does it involve the use of numerology to solve God's mystery of Rev 13:18?

Have you ever attempted to solve this mystery, and if so, did you feel you were using gematria or numerology?

Active
Shutterbug,

My question is ... does it involve the use of numerology to solve God's mystery of Rev 13:18?

Have you ever attempted to solve this mystery, and if so, did you feel you were using gematria or numerology?

Good morning Canada;
As an element of astrology and fortune-telling, numerology has long been employed to predict future events. For many early Christians, 3 represented the Trinity, 6 represented earthly perfection, and 7 represented heavenly perfection; and still today, many of us like to group things into sets of 3 or 7, for no particular reason. Numerology has also been used to interpret personality; in particular, numerologists may assign numbers to each letter of a person's name and use the resulting figures, along with the person's date of birth, as a guide to his or her character.

While I can say I have pondered the precise meaning of 666, I do not obsess over it as whoever that person, or group of persons are, will make themselves known throughout the world. The significance is that those who do not worship the person will be targeted. This makes those who profess Christ especially vulnerable as they will not play his game. Thus, that person will enact policies to deprive them of the necessities of life such as purchasing food, or power, or fuel, or even pay your taxes.

Loyal
Shutterbug,

As some have already indicated, it all according to the intent of your heart? Why do you want to know and how will knowing edify me or God or God's people? Jesus put it like this:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." Matt 6:33-34

Where is your heart directed and why is it directed that way? Even searching the scriptures should have a purpose. Atheists search the scriptures to enable them to argue effectively against Christians and when they succeed it is because the Christian is not as Christ-like as he should be. I am not talking about knowledge, but purpose. Matt 6:33 quote about says to seek two things and then it says that as a result "all these thing shall be added unto you". All of what things? Everything else that God knows that we need.
What each one of us thinks we need does not necessarily always match what God that we need.

We may for example say we always "need" physical food for our physical bodies, but what if God in this moment wants us to fast for three days? Do know the mind of God? Are we hearing always His voice? If not, why not?

"And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice" John 10:4

Are we not His sheep?

So then seek your numbers so long as they are a part of you seeking God's kingdom and God's righteousness!

Good morning Canada;
As an element of astrology and fortune-telling, numerology has long been employed to predict future events. For many early Christians, 3 represented the Trinity, 6 represented earthly perfection, and 7 represented heavenly perfection; and still today, many of us like to group things into sets of 3 or 7, for no particular reason. Numerology has also been used to interpret personality; in particular, numerologists may assign numbers to each letter of a person's name and use the resulting figures, along with the person's date of birth, as a guide to his or her character.

While I can say I have pondered the precise meaning of 666, I do not obsess over it as whoever that person, or group of persons are, will make themselves known throughout the world. The significance is that those who do not worship the person will be targeted. This makes those who profess Christ especially vulnerable as they will not play his game. Thus, that person will enact policies to deprive them of the necessities of life such as purchasing food, or power, or fuel, or even pay your taxes.

Hello Shutterbug,

I was drawn to Revelation and eschatology in general before I was saved ... approaching 40 years now. My son in law was pastor of a very conservative Reformed Church.

Not too often in His Word does God say ... “Hear Is Wisdom” ... followed by noting the word “understanding”.

You mention astrology, fortune telling and predicting future events.

I see no connection to astrology, fortune telling or predicting future events in Revelation 13:18.

Man has a tendency to read into God’s word what is not there.

We are also told that if it were possible, even the very elect would be deceived.

Regarding the image of the beast, mark of the beast and numbered beast, I believe much of Christianity has been deceived.

Active
Good morning Canada;
Your question regarding numerology was if it were a sin. It is if it's used in the context of depending on it for making decisions equating to reading and following one's horoscope. Regarding the mark and policies of the Beast, I'm under the impression many Christians are not particularly concerned about it as some feel they will be raptured prior to its reign.

What knowledge have you gained about the Beast through the study of numbers and how they relate to its appearing?

Loyal
Greetings,

from Scripture concerning what Nick wrote about (above)

When you come into the land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominable practices of those nations. There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord. And because of these abominations the Lord your God is driving them out before you. Dueteronomy 18:9-12

Regarding such things a you mentioned, like number patterns found in Scripture, the Fibonacci golden ratio and the work of Gödel, these can all be very fascinating to consider but there are some things to be cautious about.

First, remember that the men who 'discovered' these principals only 'discovered' some aspects that prove to the inquiring mind that the LORD made all things AND that while one might get fascinated by the study of the mathematical sequencing or the patterns that unfold, such study is only an attempt to put down 'on paper' the wonderful design of God in all that He has made and that it is Him alone Who we should be in awe of. Yes, by all means we can be in awe of Him as we see patterns around us in creation but we must avoid going after teachings and religions that manipulate the minds of men to their advantage using the fascinating (with a lie here and and a lie there sprinkled in).

Another point to remember is that no amount of numerology or pattern mathematics will add one drop to the finished work of Christ Jesus the Son of God Who loved us and gave himself for us.
The 'practice' of numerology quickly becomes a poison to the soul as one who practices it oozes deeper and deeper into a mystical outlook towards God and the Scripture, becoming superstitious and fearful, summarizing everything with numbers and symbolisms.

While creation declares the wonder of God, it is always God Who we should be in wonder of, not His Creation.
Likewise, although there appears to be remarkable patterns in Scripture, we can easily get lost in looking to and for these patters instead of seeking the Lord to reveal Himself to us in and through Scripture. We can miss the words as we look for the numbers.
We can understand the Scripture without numerology and numerology will not add to the Gospel truth of Christ's death and resurrection nor the need for all men to repent and believe Him for what He has said, not for the numbers we might find.

Bless you ....><>
Yes, in physics, there are people such as Albert Einstein who used mathimatical equations to figure for the greater good.

As with all things, people can use concepts or ideologies in the Lord, or against the Lord. The Lord, who inspired all of scripture has set there various numbers for us to learn and understand. The number of fish caught in the net as an example. 153. Curious number. But this is something to think about, that the scripture now, is still something for us to continue discovering. That number, 153. Are the total number of fish species in that Lake.

Im not trying to get side tracked on the issue of numbers. Or the study of numbers.

I think the difference for me is how we uss those numbers, Are they a tool to learn about God, or do they become the god that you live your life by.

The devil who corrupts, will try to make it that the numbers is what you live your life by. Therefore the numbers become god.

Good morning Canada;
Your question regarding numerology was if it were a sin. It is if it's used in the context of depending on it for making decisions equating to reading and following one's horoscope. Regarding the mark and policies of the Beast, I'm under the impression many Christians are not particularly concerned about it as some feel they will be raptured prior to its reign.

What knowledge have you gained about the Beast through the study of numbers and how they relate to its appearing?

Hello Shutterbug, "Your question regarding numerology was if it were a sin" ...
That was my lame attempt at sarcasm.

It usually occurs that when I discuss God's prophetic numbers in their contexts (144 153 666) and the book of Revelation, it does not take long before I am accused of using "numerology". That is my tip to end the conversation.

There is a great difference between the use of the gematria of Hebrew or the isophesia of Greek than the use of numerology.

Neither Hebrew nor Greek had a separate numbering system as do we.
Their A B C D etc. represented 1 2 3 4 etc.

Here is wisdom. Let he that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. Rev 13:18

God did not say ... count the number using the gematria of Hebrew or that of Greek.
WHY DID HE NOT SPECIFY THE LANGUAGE TO BE USED?

Adding LOGIC and REASON to God's wisdom and understanding, it did not require rocket science to conclude that the unstated language and numbering system to be used was NOT IN EXISTENCE in the day of John of Patmos ... but was to be a language in use among believers and watchmen on the wall during the actual era of the 666 man.

It could be one of several languages during these last days, but English is a very common world and second language.

There is considerable MATHEMATICAL EVIDENCE (and a few biblical oddities) to support the claim that the unstated language to be used is that of simple English gematria wherein ... a = 1 ,,. z = 26
Just a few of MANY examples:

SIMPLE = 74
ENGLISH = 74
GEMATRIA = 74

JESUS = 74
JEWISH = 74
MESSIAH = 74

Jesus died on the cross, preached the gospel and spoke in parables.

CROSS = 74
GOSPEL = 4
PARABLES = 74

Jesus in Hebrew is Y'shua and in Greek Joshua.

Y'SHUA = 74
JOSHUA = 74

The skeptics will likely say ... all a "coincidence".

Loyal

It usually occurs that when I discuss God's prophetic numbers in their contexts (144 153 666) and the book of Revelation, it does not take long before I am accused of using "numerology". That is my tip to end the conversation.

There is a great difference between the use of the gematria of Hebrew or the isophesia of Greek than the use of numerology.

Here is wisdom. Let he that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. Rev 13:18

God did not say ... count the number using the gematria of Hebrew or that of Greek.

Adding LOGIC and REASON to God's wisdom and understanding, it did not require rocket science to conclude that the unstated language and numbering system to be used was NOT IN EXISTENCE in the day of John of Patmos ... but was to be a language in use among believers and watchmen on the wall during the actual era of the 666 man.

It could be one of several languages during these last days, but English is a very common world and second language.

There is considerable MATHEMATICAL EVIDENCE (and a few biblical oddities) to support the claim that the unstated language to be used is that of simple English gematria wherein ... a = 1 ,,. z = 26

SIMPLE = 74
ENGLISH = 74
GEMATRIA = 74

JESUS = 74
JEWISH = 74
MESSIAH = 74

CROSS = 74
GOSPEL = 4
PARABLES = 74

Y'SHUA = 74
JOSHUA = 74

Well it is kinda what i was getting at. God created the universe. Yet it is in more modern physics that there is proof of patterns, not chaos.

In the concept of evolution, chaos would reign. There would be no patterns.

Albert Einstein showed the world pieces of equations to explain creation.

So when those who walk in the darkness strive to make the numbers into god. It plainly doesn't work.

(I know what im trying to say, just can't get it from my head to print)

Staff Member

I'm not at all curious why you would utilize Revelation 13:8 to justify going about practicing Numerology with the rest of scripture. Others here have replied apply to your questions.

I believe I've made my thoughts clear on this in my post # 2&5, and you might also contemplate on a point made by Br. Bear which states "Another point to remember is that no amount of numerology or pattern mathematics will add one drop to the finished work of Christ Jesus the Son of God Who loved us and gave himself for us." His post #4 is also salient to the use of Numerology.

Now you are welcome to continue with the point of the thread of Numerology being Satanic question, but please discontinue your attempts to justify it's use whether it goes by Numerology or Gematria by explaining it's particulars and how it appears to serve enlightenment.

I will placing your post #17 under moderation.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick

Active

SIMPLE = 74
ENGLISH = 74
GEMATRIA = 74

JESUS = 74
JEWISH = 74
MESSIAH = 74

CROSS = 74
GOSPEL = 4
PARABLES = 74

Y'SHUA = 74
JOSHUA = 74

Good evening Canada;
Truthfully, any one can read anything into anything if one tries hard enough. While certain Biblical events contain numbers, especially time frames of reference, I personally feel numerology won't foretell whom the antiChrist will be. There are numbers associated with some identification and his period of activity, but I feel his recognition will be after his appearing. Cheers, John

Status
Not open for further replies.