• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Is Love A Work For A Believer?

Active
One of the greatest deceptions of Satan is to persuade a believer they don't have to work to inherit Eternal Life. There is no Eternal Life for any Christian that does not clothes themselves with the Love Christ.

1 John 3:18
My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in "DEED" and in truth.

Matthew 15:8
This people draws near unto me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips; but their "heart" is far from me.

John 14:15
If you love me, keep my commandments.

Loyal
persuade a believer they don't have to work to inherit Eternal Life

you are so spiritually blind it hard to speak to you :) because you become prideful when everyone who tries to correct you and start accusing them
. But here it goes, now listen close, and pay attention, because you are very deceived it very clear in all your post you no understanding most of scripture.

We work because we have eternal life , we do not work to get eternal life.

Works is evidence of Eternal life in us, not something that we do to get eternal life.

there are other ways to say this in case you do not understand, but hopefully this will clear up your works salvation deception that satan has planted in your mind. You are one of the most deceived people I have seen come on here, I hope one day your are able to see the light. God bless

Loyal

Works is evidence of Eternal life in us, not something that we do to get eternal life.

I know we usually agree about most things, but I disagree with these statements.

There are plenty of people in the world who are not saved (they don't claim to believe in Jesus) who are good moral people.
They don't kill, steal, commit adultery, etc.... But they don't do these things because they are saved.

Also on the other hand, there are plenty of people who believe in Jesus who struggle with sin every day.
They lie, they lust, they covet, they even do worse.... even though they DO believe in Jesus.

So which of these two people will inherit the kingdom of God?

Loyal
I know we usually agree about most things, but I disagree with these statements.

There are plenty of people in the world who are not saved (they don't claim to believe in Jesus) who are good moral people.
They don't kill, steal, commit adultery, etc.... But they don't do these things because they are saved.

Also on the other hand, there are plenty of people who believe in Jesus who struggle with sin every day.
They lie, they lust, they covet, they even do worse.... even though they DO believe in Jesus.

Here is my understanding

when a believer does works it has nothing to do with getting salvation, only evidence of his salvation, it will get him rewards.

When a non believer does works I dont think anyone is claiming they are getting saved.,

we are saved through faith by the Grace of God, and thats it. And works is just (should of said) "some" evidence of salvation

real world example of what I am talking about
, some believers like you mention will have not have any works at all, like those that except Jesus on there death bed for example are saved but they will have no reward. The missionary that gave his whole life on earth serving God will have rewards and will here the words well done good and faithful servent, the guy who was a drug addict all his life and excepts Jesus at the last minute will not have any works and will most likely not here the words well done.

Those that will not inherit the kingdom are listed in a few places but here is one list in Rev 21:8.

Active
@Dave,
you are so spiritually blind it hard to speak to you :) because you become prideful when everyone who tries to correct you and start accusing them

First, you and yours started initiating me on how to talk crazy to Christians when I first came on this forum. I almost got caught up in the foolishness of your actions but God showed me - He gives me the wisdom not to be foolish. Look at your post... It's easy to find out truth if you would answer my questions. I welcome you to ask me questions, because the scripture I use answers questions.. You should save your insults.

But here it goes, now listen close, and pay attention, because you are very deceived it very clear in all your post you no understanding most of scripture.

there are other ways to say this in case you do not understand, but hopefully this will clear up your works salvation deception that satan has planted in your mind. You are one of the most deceived people I have seen come on here, I hope one day your are able to see the light. God bless

Luke 10:25
And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted Jesus saying, Master, what shall I "DO" to inherit eternal life?

What is the lawyer specifically asking Jesus. What does Jesus ask him?

Luke 10:26
Jesus said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
Luke 10:27
And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

What was Jesus' response to the lawyer at this point?

Luke 10:28
And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast answered right: "this do, and thou shalt live."

Question... If a man does not do "this" - can or will he live?

Luke 20:35
But they which shall be "ACCOUNTED WORTHY" to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

This is factual information that shows a person must be "accounted worthy" (deserving) to obtain the world to come. What is the world to come? Eternal Life... God's word is pregnant with much revelation, but only God can reveal certain understanding to man, that he or she will never see unless God opens their eyes to it. We are proven to see if we are deserving of Eternal Life.

G2661 (accounted worthy)
καταξιόω [KATACIO/W] {kataxióō} \kat-ax-ee-o'-o\
from 2596 and 515; to deem entirely deserving:--(ac-)count worthy.

1 Peter 1:7
That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

Hebrews 3:14
For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

If a person's faith and works do not agree bringing forth the character of Christ, 30 fold, 60 fold or 100 fold, they will not be a partaker of Christ and will definitely not be saved eternally; but will be as tares in the body of Christ. A believer must put on Christ. Christ knows His character and if you don't have it, He will not know you.

This is a faith walk - and you have eternal life only by faith at this point. If you don't continue being faithful and fruitful, you will not see life, but you will be as a tares in the body of Christ who will be cast into the lake of fire (Mat. 13:39-42). Faith is the substance of things hoped for, evidence not seen (Heb. 11:1).

Believers are "hoping" for eternal life because it's not manifested "YET" - but if a believer continues in obedience to the word of Christ, they will obtain life in the manifestation of the promise. It is still a promise and not a manifestation. This is why you are being proven to see if you are worthy to obtain eternal life.

Romans 8:24
For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man sees, why does he yet hope for?
Romans 8:25
But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

Again, this requires faith. Below is the greek definition of "do." if you do not do, you will not obtain life.

Greek definition of "do"
G4160
ποιέω [POIE/W] {poiéō} \poy-eh'-o\
apparently a prolonged form of an obsolete primary; to make or do (in a very wide application, more or less direct):--abide, + agree, appoint, X avenge, + band together, be, bear, + bewray, bring (forth), cast out, cause, commit, + content, continue, deal, + without any delay, (would) do(-ing), execute, exercise, fulfil, gain, give, have, hold, X journeying, keep, + lay wait, + lighten the ship, make, X mean, + none of these things move me, observe, ordain, perform, provide, + have purged, purpose, put, + raising up, X secure, shew, X shoot out, spend, take, tarry, + transgress the law, work, yield. Compare 4238.

Loyal
First, you and yours started initiating me on how to talk crazy to Christians when I first came on this forum. I almost got caught up in the foolishness of your actions but God showed me

I am sorry if I have offended you in any way, piece be with you

Active
@Dave,
Hey, I appreciate appreciate that Dave. I know you are a passionate person about your belief and love for The Lord. Continue your love in Christ developing in His Righteousness as we all are seeking to do.

Much Love

Loyal
Luke 10:25; And a lawyer stood up and put Him to the test, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"
Luke 10:26; And He said to him, "What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?"
Luke 10:27; And he answered, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
Luke 10:28; And He said to him, "You have answered correctly; DO THIS AND YOU WILL LIVE."
Luke 10:29; But wishing to justify himself, he said to Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"
Luke 10:30; Jesus replied and said, "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among robbers, and they stripped him and beat him, and went away leaving him half dead.
Luke 10:31; "And by chance a priest was going down on that road, and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
Luke 10:32; "Likewise a Levite also, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.
Luke 10:33; "But a Samaritan, who was on a journey, came upon him; and when he saw him, he felt compassion,
Luke 10:34; and came to him and bandaged up his wounds, pouring oil and wine on them; and he put him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn and took care of him.
Luke 10:35; "On the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper and said, 'Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I return I will repay you.'
Luke 10:36; "Which of these three do you think proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell into the robbers' hands?"

Luke 10:37; And he said, "The one who showed mercy toward him." Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do the same."

This parable starts off with the question..... "what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"
It's boils down to loving God ... and ... loving your neighbor. Jesus explains what loving your neighbor looks like here.
Is loving your neighbor a work? My answer would be no. But it can certainly involve work.

The Bible doesn't always call things we do "work". But it does sometimes say the things we do are our "reasonable service".
Rom 12:1; I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Gal 6:2; Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.

Active
@B-A-C,

Luke 10:25; And a lawyer stood up and put Him to the test, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life.
This parable starts off with the question..... "what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"
It's boils down to loving God ... and ... loving your neighbor. Jesus explains what loving your neighbor looks like here.
Is loving your neighbor a work? My answer would be no. But it can certainly involve work.

The Bible doesn't always call things we do "work". But it does sometimes say the things we do are our "reasonable service".
Rom 12:1; I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Gal 6:2; Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.

Love is the "act" of Righteousness. Love is understood by what a person does characteristically. Doing something is an effort, effort is a work. It takes spiritual work/effort to resist the devil and say no to the emotions of anger and desires for the unrighteous things of the world and any other thing that Satan brings to temp you with and to take your eyes off of God's righteousness. Satan temps you to take your peace from you. It is a daily effort to keep your peace, while maintaining obedience in the character of Christ (Eph. 4:22-24).

1 John 3:18
My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in "deed" (work) and in truth.

There are two types of righteousness since Adam committed sin and fell from his righteous position in God. Under the Mosaic Law, the first type of righteousness could only come through the physical efforts of Israel (man's) offerings of sacrifices for their sins. The second type of righteousness was man himself resisting and saying no to their lustful desires so they would "not sin" and then have to go and offer a sacrifice for their sins. This also showed Israel's obedience and love for God's word.

Once Jesus came, He offered up "one" righteous sacrifice for man's sins, but man (believers) are responsible to show their love by offering themselves a sacrifice that is holy and acceptable unto God (Rom. 12:1). This is the work and effort a believer is responsible to "DO" under the new covenant. This is not a physical outward works, this is work in the spirit by putting off and stop doing anything that exalts Satan's character - which is contrary to the character of Christ's Spirit; the Fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22, 23).

Galatians 5:6
For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which "WORKS" by love.

Active
@Life,
Remember the topic (me also)...

Is love a work?
What I believe (sorry - won't take the time for scriptures right now :shades: )

When we are born again (given a new heart and a new spirit) I believe God places His love in our hearts. We love God and love people.

However, real life happens and sometimes we need to choose to love others - because we love God.

And sometimes when life gets really hard we need to choose to love and trust God. Love is a fruit and something we are given but doesn't all just come naturally (to me anyway).

We can choose to NOT love God and to hate others. If we choose this path we are endangering our salvation.

Active
@Chad4Him,

Does loving another person take "effort" and consistent "work?" Marriage is a work in progress that takes everything in us to make it work. It doesn't just happen because we say we love our mate, after we have sexual relations with them. Let her tell you she has a headache - watch Satan jump in you and try to get you bothered. And this is after Satan's been tempting you all-daylong with the new girl on the job that looks like a model. Most of the time we don't take into consideration life right in front of us - which gives us wisdom and understanding about so much in life.

Active
I believe it does take effort and consistent work, however with the love of God in your heart you are able to love even when your spouse isn't being very loveable :)

Active
@Chad4Him,
Yes... I agree 100 percent.
:smile:

Is there a difference between working in order to attain (or merit) Eternal life, versus maintaining our walk with God and continuing to walk, in obedience, in the Eternal Life He has already given us? (Altho this Eternal Life will be realized in fullness when there is no more chance of falling away - at the end of time or after our death.)

Not sure exactly how to word this, but I believe that obedience and spiritual maintenance is very important lest we fall away. But we don't merit heaven by our good works. May seem like a technicality but I believe it is important.

Active
And yet heaven is a reward to the faithful. Hmmm sometimes this faith/works/grace discussion makes my head spin!

But really the gospel is simple.

Active
@Chad4Him,
:smile:
Is there a difference between working in order to attain (or merit) Eternal life, versus maintaining our walk with God and continuing to walk, in obedience, in the Eternal Life He has already given us? (Altho this Eternal Life will be realized in fullness when there is no more chance of falling away - at the end of time or after our death.)

Not sure exactly how to word this, but I believe that obedience and spiritual maintenance is very important lest we fall away. But we don't merit heaven by our good works. May seem like a technicality but I believe it is important.

Meriting something is being account worthy or deserving of. Scripture teaches, we must be "accounted worthy" to obtain the world to come and the resurrection from the dead (Luk. 21:35). The world to come is talking about Eternal Life.

According to what i've read in scripture, a believer cannot have obedience without works. If we maintain our walk in obedience to Christ by faith, we will maintained faithfulness which all merit comes from. Without faith it's impossible to please God (Heb. 11:6). It is through our faith that we will "inherit" the promise of Eternal Life. This is why it's important to understand faith without works is dead (Jam. 2:17;20). This is the reason God will tell us, "well done you good and "faithful" servant" (Mat. 25:21-23).

We have Eternal Life now, but will all believers endure unto the end "faithfully" to obtain the promise? According to scripture they will not.

Romans 2:7
To them who by patient "continuance" in well "doing" seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
Romans 2:8
But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
Romans 2:9
Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that "does" evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
Romans 2:10
But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that "works" good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

Notice how these scriptures use the terms "doing" and "works." also, we know these scriptures are talking about Eternal Life is gained based on what a believer does.

And yet heaven is a reward to the faithful. Hmmm sometimes this faith/works/grace discussion makes my head spin!
But really the gospel is simple.

Yes - it's a reward because of our obedience. This walk is a war - a daily fight and struggle. Many will seek to enter in, but they will give up (Luk. 13:23, 24).

1 Timothy 6:12
Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou are also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

It's a believers responsibility to seize Eternal Life while they have the opportunity.

G75 (fight)
ἀγωνίζομαι [A)GWNI/ZOMAI] {agōnízomai} \ag-o-nid'-zom-ahee\
from 73; to struggle, literally (to compete for a prize), figuratively (to contend with an adversary), or genitive case (to endeavor to accomplish something):--fight, labor fervently, strive.

G1949 (lay hold on)
ἐπιλαμβάνομαι [E)PILAMBA/NOMAI] {epilambánomai} \ep-ee-lam-ban'-om-ahee\
middle voice from 1909 and 2983; to seize (for help, injury, attainment, or any other purpose; literally or figuratively):--catch, lay hold (up-)on, take (by, hold of, on).

Active
@Life,
When God created the Earth, everything He did was a "work" of love for those He purposes to put on it. From the water to the animals, the sun, stars and moon were all spoken into existence - even the seed of trees and plants were apart of creation and scripture recognizes everything God did as work.

Genesis 2:1
Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
Genesis 2:2
And on the seventh day God ended his "work" which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his "work" which he had made.

According to scripture planting is a work/labor. A believer that plants will receive a reward according to their labor/work.

1 Corinthians 3:8
Now he that plants and he that waters are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

This is my reasoning regarding the word "sowing." If believers sow to this world's pleasures, they are actively "doing" something to obtain their focused lustful desire. This is the "works" of the flesh that causes them to reap the inheritance of death/corruption. If a believer thinks they do not have to work, they are deceiving themselves and thinking they are deceiving God through their own deception.

James 1:22
But be you doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

Galatians 6:7
Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap.

In faith, however, if a believer sows/works towards the benefit of the promise by faith, (the Kingdom of God), they will "reap" Eternal Life. Eternal Life is based on a believers choice; they will either die to the lust of the world, or they will die in the Day of Judgment. A believer gives up when they refuse to allow their faith to be proven by their works (Jam. 2:20-24). The believer's doings are the expression of their faith or lack of.

Galatians 6:9
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

A believer faints without works because faith is not alone.

James 2:24
You see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.