• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Is it okay to do things like Yoga and Meditation?

Active
Some Christians have spoken against it but you can never be sure what to believe these days
Just to be clear can you tell me what you mean by yoga and meditation? Because there is nothing wrong with stretching and trying to clear your mind. It's healthy. However, if you're wanting to use these things to increase your spiritual standing like some new age spirtualists teach then you will most likely end up disappointed.

Yoga and meditation have known benefits, but some christians they are both satanic
But no I am not doing it for spiritual reasons. I dont buy that new age stuff

Active
Yoga and meditation have known benefits, but some christians they are both satanic
But no I am not doing it for spiritual reasons. I dont buy that new age stuff
There will always be some church people with something bad to say about everything, it's just human nature to have opinions and expect others to agree with them always. Unless these particular ones are big parts in your life dont worry abou what they say. Romans chapter 14 is pretty helpful in these situations.

Yeah but since I take my faith seriously I cant just go out there and do things that might be demonic. I'm new to the faith so I dont know everything

Active
Yeah but since I take my faith seriously I cant just go out there and do things that might be demonic. I'm new to the faith so I dont know everything
Call it whatever you want it's just stretching. The bible says that the letter kills but the spirit gives life. I had the same concerns about tattoos when I first met christ. You say that you do not believe the new age spiritualism then the stretches that you do on your mat are no more demonic than the stretches others would do before running. Don't like that the word yoga is connected to that new age stuff? then call it something else the name means nothing. The meaning is all in the meaning.

Staff Member
Greetings @Max202020

The origins of yoga go back to ancient Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism.
The meditation is focussed on connection with false gods/supremities of those religions.

I would doubt that many of today's "yoga" classes focus on the original routes of yoga.
However, it is still very much associated with "new age" groups.
For example, in our town, yoga classes are held at "The Joyful Path" where the aim is to align with ones higher self.

Exercising, stretching and keeping ones body healthy is not wrong.
The Lord gave us wonderful bodies and we need to look after them.
Where we do this and the focus and aim should be considered carefully in light of the Lord.

There is a way that seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death
Proverbs 14:12

Active
Greetings @Max202020

The origins of yoga go back to ancient Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism.
The meditation is focussed on connection with false gods/supremities of those religions.

I would doubt that many of today's "yoga" classes focus on the original routes of yoga.
However, it is still very much associated with "new age" groups.
For example, in our town, yoga classes are held at "The Joyful Path" where the aim is to align with ones higher self.

Exercising, stretching and keeping ones body healthy is not wrong.
The Lord gave us wonderful bodies and we need to look after them.
Where we do this and the focus and aim should be considered carefully in light of the Lord.

There is a way that seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death
Proverbs 14:12
You are correct on all of this. But can I point out that by this criteria we shouldn't celebrate Christmas either.

Staff Member
Yoga,
First is understanding that its roots are from Hinduism. Next you have to ask yourself if something that comes from another religion which for its purposes is to get closer to the precepts of said religion, acceptable to our God?

I don't believe so. Our God is jealous of us, and doesn't like to share us! For some reason, OT Israeli couldn't come to grips with this, and would eventually start to include religious practices from the surrounding nations. Even the wises of men Solomon fell to this. Which tells me take care with the deception that we can use other religious practices, and if we change the names, or its "purpose", that it then becomes okay to do. Some will even show that scientifically it has benefits, and of course we go why not? Very dangerous ground and not something I would suggest of anyone to do.

I know a lady who likes to go to the park across from where she lives to participate in Yoga exercises. I've told her of its beginnings, and she says oh, all I do is the exercises. So when they start you on breathing, then clearing your mind, and focus on singular words, or just repeating them.......it becomes a little more then just exercises? I don't think so. Yogi's will tell you that each exercise has a purpose. Just because you don't know their meanings, because you're not Hindu, or they've been given different names to make it acceptable to non-Hindu's doesn't mean that it's still okay to do!

Do some research and don't hold to these types of practices on just their face value.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Here's an article you might find interesting if you are looking at Yoga and want to know a little more.
In Christ.
Nick

Active
Yoga,
First is understanding that its roots are from Hinduism. Next you have to ask yourself if something that comes from another religion which for its purposes is to get closer to the precepts of said religion, acceptable to our God?

I don't believe so. Our God is jealous of us, and doesn't like to share us! For some reason, OT Israeli couldn't come to grips with this, and would eventually start to include religious practices from the surrounding nations. Even the wises of men Solomon fell to this. Which tells me take care with the deception that we can use other religious practices, and if we change the names, or its "purpose", that it then becomes okay to do. Some will even show that scientifically it has benefits, and of course we go why not? Very dangerous ground and not something I would suggest of anyone to do.

I know a lady who likes to go to the park across from where she lives to participate in Yoga exercises. I've told her of its beginnings, and she says oh, all I do is the exercises. So when they start you on breathing, then clearing your mind, and focus on singular words, or just repeating them.......it becomes a little more then just exercises? I don't think so. Yogi's will tell you that each exercise has a purpose. Just because you don't know their meanings, because you're not Hindu, or they've been given different names to make it acceptable to non-Hindu's doesn't mean that it's still okay to do!

Do some research and don't hold to these types of practices on just their face value.

YBIC
Nick
<><
I know this thread began with someone seeking understanding. I hope that she has come to some decision that is beneficial. All I can do is say what Paul says. "All things are lawful to me, but not all things are expedient." "I through the law am dead to the law nevertheless I live, yet not I but Christ lives in me." And "I know and am persuaded of the Lord Jesus Christ that there is nothing that is unclean of itself. But to him that esteems anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean."

Staff Member
I know this thread began with someone seeking understanding. I hope that she has come to some decision that is beneficial. All I can do is say what Paul says. "All things are lawful to me, but not all things are expedient." "I through the law am dead to the law nevertheless I live, yet not I but Christ lives in me." And "I know and am persuaded of the Lord Jesus Christ that there is nothing that is unclean of itself. But to him that esteems anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean."

Hello A. Christian,
Take care how you use those particular parts of Scripture. When Paul uses "unclean" he is being specific concerning a subject of the day which was the eating of food offered up to idols. The food was taken from these temples and sold in the market places. That food was considered "unclean". This is what was being discussed in what you quoted. Keep in mind that Paul does talk throughout his Epistles on a lot of things that we are told not to do and that are wrong. Context is very important to gain greater understanding and a clearer picture on how we should apply it in our lives today.

YBIC
Nick
<><

Active
Hello A. Christian,
Take care how you use those particular parts of Scripture. When Paul uses "unclean" he is being specific concerning a subject of the day which was the eating of food offered up to idols. The food was taken from these temples and sold in the market places. That food was considered "unclean". This is what was being discussed in what you quoted. Keep in mind that Paul does talk throughout his Epistles on a lot of things that we are told not to do and that are wrong. Context is very important to gain greater understanding and a clearer picture on how we should apply it in our lives today.

YBIC
Nick
<><
I would have to respectfully disagree. Sure at this moment he is dealing with people gaining the benefit of a certain idolatrous practice without actually adhering to those idolatrous beliefs. Example: meat sacrificed to idols. However, this same sentiment carries over to all other areas for Paul which is why he says in two different places all things are lawful. Now I do want to point out that neither he or I is saying that we have a license to sin. As he points out when he says how can we that are dead to sin live anymore there in? No what he is saying is that through the Law he has become dead to the Law and lives with Christ.

Staff Member
I would have to respectfully disagree. Sure at this moment he is dealing with people gaining the benefit of a certain idolatrous practice without actually adhering to those idolatrous beliefs. Example: meat sacrificed to idols. However, this same sentiment carries over to all other areas for Paul which is why he says in two different places all things are lawful. Now I do want to point out that neither he or I is saying that we have a license to sin. As he points out when he says how can we that are dead to sin live anymore there in? No what he is saying is that through the Law he has become dead to the Law and lives with Christ.

Hello A. Christian,
As I respectfully disagree in your usage of scripture to imply that there is nothing with Yoga or in other words, "It's in the eye of the beholder" perspective you communicated in your previous post. At least that is how I received it and fear that is how others will have received it as well. Which is why I replied as I did.

To touch on the above subject in your last post, without fleshing it out would probably give more confusion to those reading concerning the subject of Yoga and whether they should do it or not. This would also cause this thread to be diverted into one on the subject of the Law, Sin, and consequences etc.

How about we just leave it that practices that are used to pay homage to other divinities is sinful and should not be done by those who know better? :shades:

YBIC
Nick
<><

Active
Hello A. Christian,
As I respectfully disagree in your usage of scripture to imply that there is nothing with Yoga or in other words, "It's in the eye of the beholder" perspective you communicated in your previous post. At least that is how I received it and fear that is how others will have received it as well. Which is why I replied as I did.

To touch on the above subject in your last post, without fleshing it out would probably give more confusion to those reading concerning the subject of Yoga and whether they should do it or not. This would also cause this thread to be diverted into one on the subject of the Law, Sin, and consequences etc.

How about we just leave it that practices that are used to pay homage to other divinities is sinful and should not be done by those who know better? :shades:

YBIC
Nick
<><
I started another thread about legality if you would like to continue our discussion over there. I would greatly like to continue this over there with you.

As for this thread to make myself clear. I see no different between eating meat sacrificed to idols and stretching while on a mat. I agree that in both cases (as with evrything else in this world) a person should really be guided by the Spirit of God so that they can discern when they are close to moving into an area that is not expedient for them in this case, from harmless stretches to trying to discover your own path to God outside of Christ.

The OP already stated that she didn't buy into the new age spiritualism, so I'm cool with saying stretch all you want. Now if she has any doubts she should not do it.

I don't want to give a person a checklist of what's right and what's wrong. That leads to religion and legality. Instead, rely on your relationship with God. He'll guide you.