• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Is Heavy/Metal acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJS

I have been thinking a lot abot Heavy Rock/Metal music lately.
I went to the youth group my children attend and was shocked at what I heard, it sounded as though the Devil was present.
The music was very heavy with screaming. What is the Christian world coming to when it allows this type of music in the Church.
The Church should be a beautiful place with the Lord's presence.
Shouldn't people be attracted to Christianity because of Jesus and his Power? But the Church is attracting young people by using this dreadful music.
I like the odd rock song myself, but there must be a line drawn somewhere. I just cannot see how this heavy, agressive screaming music can be used to give praise and worship to our wonderfull Creator.
Music is an expression of the soul.
From a soul occupied by the wonderfull Spirit of God comes beautiful music.
All music should reflect the fruits of the Spirit - Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self control Galations 5:22.
I don't believe Heavy Rock/Metal reflects these fruits. It demonstrates aggression, rebellion, depression, confusion etc and it distorts the soul of those who listen to it.
I would like to hear some comments on this.

some lyrics from my favorite Christina metal band
The incomprehensibility of A love so pure Too good to be true It seems

This preposterous act of empathy
Unveiling my insufficiency
The will of God accomplished
Redemption revealed

Realize, repent, receive
Confession of inadequacy
Initiate, admit, believe

I am not my own- I belong to he who sacrificed The glory of eternity and fullness of peace To fathom this mystery Is beyond what I can express That he'd endure this path of pain

Realize, repent, receive Confession of inadequacy Initiate, admit, believe Freedom

The incarnation of the one I am? Inverting the course of history
Hiding the kingdom in the heart of man For him to share the grace of God
Part of another song of theirs. Essence

oh, let your warm breeze blow away all this filth in my soul
wash me white as snow
lift me up again
oh, let your mercy flow
give me life so I can live
and so, now I can once again lift my head up high
shamelessly look into anyone's eyes
because when I'm weak, then you are strong
yeah, I will leave condemnation and sin behind
confidently marching forward with this in mind
you are right when I am wrong
I will not let go, I will not give in
'cause he told me so: by his love I'll win

I would be inclined to say that these songs Honor and Glorify God as much as if not much more then many of the so called worship songs I often find myself singing in church. Another thing these people aren't paid to wright worship songs to God in fact they would be paid much better of they didn't.

AJS

Yes, I like your reply. I am interested to see what others think.
I can't fault the words of the songs.
Anyone can come up with nice words however.
The words don't go with Heavy Metal/Rock . Words should correspond to the music played.
This type of music is an expressive tool for the angry and rebellious not for the joyous and peaceful soul.
( yes Heavy Metal bands do have some softer songs but I am concerned about the HEAVY music) I'll accept the softer ones.

I would hope that any one replying to this post knows what it is to have the Spirit of God within them in reality
and that they live with the fruits of the Spirit in their lives, otherwise their comments will be tainted heavily by the flesh
or the desires of the outward man.

I am particularly concerned when some of the bands sound as though demons are coming through their voice,
screeching and growelling. example - Demon Hunter who I have listened to.
This is not even up for discussion. If you can't see the error in this then something is wrong or you are an immature Christian.

Should I teach my 5 children to listen to this music? Would those that view these statements encourage me to steer them in this direction?
Should I corrupt the beautiful atmosphere in my home with heavy rock?
Should I allow these warped album covers in my home to produce warped feelings in my children? Should I teach my children to smash guitars on my floor while playing violent music? Should I encourage them to follow the image of these bands - I don't think so!

I am endeavoring to teach them to follow Jesus.

Active
Taken to extremes, Christian music can cover nearly as many genres as secular music. I recall listening many years ago to Christian rock bands playing in a Christian store. My own thoughts were the only thing different were the words. Jimi Hendrix smashed and burned his guitar for attention. But, the man could play a guitar very well. A broken and burned piece is mostly all that remains of the instrument and the man who once played it.

Yeah, I still like the church hymns I grew up with and I enjoy Bluegrass harmony on gospel songs. I once took the chorus of a Lanny Wolfe song "I Keep Falling In Love With Him" and a applied a modified percussion track from a song titled, Digging the Grave" into a MIDI format. The two blended quite well.

Do I think this should be the norm? No. At some point, our desire to please God will get crossed with our desire for recognition and pleasing others. Christian musicians come from different backgrounds of music, but there is little argument that some styles work better than others. Also, I really don't listen to Christian music as such anymore because of something called a Dove award. If you think people don't compete for it, think again.

Cheers,
John

I have liked metal music since I was 16. I know of some people in metal who became Christians : Dave Mustaine of Megadeth, Nico McBrain of Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper. And they sing about Lord Jesus too, in metal-style.

This is a song of Megadeth : Never walk alone...a call to arms

"Hiding in any doorway, in any shadow
Any place where danger waits to kill my time
There is one who lies in wait, to seal your face
As sure as you live an die

When you feel that something's wrong
I'll shelter you and keep you warm
I'll never let you walk alone
I loved you and you still hated me
I'm coming and it won't be long
Time to reap what I have sown
Never, ever let you walk alone
I know your enemy, it once was me

Let me wrap my arms all around you
Suffer the trespasses that you've made
I will take your pain away, forever and a day
If you'd just call out my name-even whisper it "

AJS

More info please

Thanks guy's for your input.

So far it appears that the only support for HeavyRock/Metal, is that they can at times, have good words.
What else do they have going for them?

And I will repeat my previous questions -
Should I teach my 5 children to listen to this music?
Would those that view these statements encourage me to steer them in this direction?
Should I allow these warped album covers in my home to produce warped feelings in my children?
(just look at Demon Hunters website, it's nothing but depressing)
Should I teach my children to smash guitars on my floor while playing violent music? (as I saw Pillar do)
Should I encourage them to follow the image of these bands?

The Lord has entrusted me and my wife to lead my children in the right direction.
If it's not good for children, it's not good for adults.

Am I to teach them to go down this path? I don't think so.

Please supply the bands, album titles so I can investigate.

You can email me if you like to save space here.

Yours in Christ with Love

ajs

Last edited:
I grew up on rock/metal music and will always prefer that style of music. Now that I've been a Christian since 2004 there are some bands/lyrics that I just turn off because of the bad message/lyrics. That's the guidance from the Holy Spirit and it goes across the whole spectrum of modern media.

One thing I think that's just as important as the musical lyrics is who is the artist and what causes are they supporting with their millions of dollars. There are some music artists who may not have objectionable lyrics but are involved in new age religions or other activities that are contrary to Christian values and should not be supported with our dollars.

There is no such thing as a right or wrong style of music. It's all about the message in the lyrics and the values of the person making the songs. My pastor had a good comment about music in church once. He said contrary to some peoples beliefs there has been music written since the 1800's and it can be played on instruments other than the organ.

Last edited:
Col 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

What makes music non-Christian? Is not everything created for God's glory? I dislike rap and hip hop, but does it make it non-Christian? Of course not! I respect the Christian artist but I do not like the style of performance. I jam guitar for over 20 years now. I play everything from classical-blues-country-rock-thrash metal. I was given this gift by God and I use this gift for His glory.

I think people confuse music vs. the message behind the music. Meaning a 'song' labeled non-Christian is the lyrics behind the song, and not the style of it's performance. I also grew up listening to music like Slayer, Canibal Corspe, Death, Venom, Deicide etc etc

However if you like fast hard hitting music that has a message of hope, a message of the Cross and a message of Salvation then I would recommend these below.

Vengence Rising
Believer
Seventh Angel
One Bad Pig (Punk)
Tourniquet
White Cross

Thanks for your time.. God Bless

a. Should I teach my 5 children to listen to this music?
b. Would those that view these statements encourage me to steer them in this direction?
c. Should I corrupt the beautiful atmosphere in my home with heavy rock?
d. Should I allow these warped album covers in my home to produce warped feelings in my children?
e. Should I teach my children to smash guitars on my floor while playing violent music? (as I saw Pillar do)
f. Should I encourage them to follow the image of these bands?

----------------------------------------
a. for me not actually teach them, let them if they like it

b. even me, at home. My mom hates rock, but her kids does; its about freedom^^
c. how do you define a “beautiful atmosphere” then? What if rock is beauty for your kids?
d. not because metal is about growling and screaming it will warped your children’s feelings and emotions, actually, it depends upon their hearts,
e. same as in letter A 
f. same..

actually bro, in our church we really exercise freedom. There are a lot of Christian church here in our country that once a church member or som1 who serves in the church has long hair, or blonde, or has tattoo, has a girlfren or boyfren who is an unbeliever they tend to let that member not to serve anymore, but in our church, whatever is ur appearance be like, or u may be doing something or a sin that almost evy1 doesn’t know, its about u and God with that issue. Now for rock music, the bible it says: sing to God a new song and shout for joy (somewhere in psalms) we can also growl when were happy right? You can talk to your kids about it, why do they listen to rock music? how does it help them in their faith? it really depends upon their hearts, they can praise God thru the lyrics of rock music. They can headbang thinking.. God is great, wonderful for having such music such as metal..hehehe I don’t know. I hope my side helped hehehe

a. Should I teach my 5 children to listen to this music?
b. Would those that view these statements encourage me to steer them in this direction?
c. Should I corrupt the beautiful atmosphere in my home with heavy rock?
d. Should I allow these warped album covers in my home to produce warped feelings in my children?
e. Should I teach my children to smash guitars on my floor while playing violent music? (as I saw Pillar do)
f. Should I encourage them to follow the image of these bands?

----------------------------------------
a. for me not actually teach them, let them if they like it

b. even me, at home. My mom hates rock, but her kids does; its about freedom^^
c. how do you define a “beautiful atmosphere” then? What if rock is beauty for your kids?
d. not because metal is about growling and screaming it will warped your children’s feelings and emotions, actually, it depends upon their hearts,
e. same as in letter A 
f. same..

actually bro, in our church we really exercise freedom. There are a lot of Christian church here in our country that once a church member or som1 who serves in the church has long hair, or blonde, or has tattoo, has a girlfren or boyfren who is an unbeliever they tend to let that member not to serve anymore, but in our church, whatever is ur appearance be like, or u may be doing something or a sin that almost evy1 doesn’t know, its about u and God with that issue. Now for rock music, the bible it says: sing to God a new song and shout for joy (somewhere in psalms) we can also growl when were happy right? You can talk to your kids about it, why do they listen to rock music? how does it help them in their faith? it really depends upon their hearts, they can praise God thru the lyrics of rock music. They can headbang thinking.. God is great, wonderful for having such music such as metal..hehehe I don’t know. I hope my side helped hehehe

Good Post.. Thank you for sharing your view..

God Bless

Hi AJS,

I am a musician myself and I like dealing with questions like yours.
Well!! Like somebody mentioned ...MUSIC IS FROM GOD..... ALL GENRES OF MUSIC> Intended to worship God.

I can enjoy beautiful traditional hymns and heavy rock and life metal alike.

A lot of issues come when Christian musicians try to mimic secular artists. Like you said "crashing the guitar on the ground". I believe that excellence should flow from the church. The world should learn a few tips from the church. We should set the standards! But often times we see the other way round. We beg for good music from the secular world. We compromise on excellence.

Pls don't consider rock music as demonic. It is not. Like that famous quote " WHY SHOULD THE DEVIL HAVE ALL THE GOOD MUSIC."

It's the unskillful and compromising on standards that make music demonic.

I hope I have not confused any of you.

God bless.

Staff Member
greetings AJS,

you have asked a valid question...several in one.

Many like to claim a gift from God in music.... but one needs to ask if what they claim to be a gift does anything lasting for the Kingdom of God. His gifts unto men are for His purpose and glory, and this requires that they, the gifts, bear fruit, lasting eternal fruit, fit for the table of the Lord.

As has been noted, lyrics can be written by near anyone. With a little thought, one could write a song about anything.

At least 90% of all 'music' is garbage, musically speaking, or at best, very amateur...meaning that it does not really classify as music, but rather, an attempt at music, so, as far as heavy metal goes, you would be hard pressed to find much that would even be worthy of consideration, musically speaking, which narrows your search down a lot. From there, one needs to ascertain, prayerfully, whether the maximum of 10% had any Christian credibility.... which would narrow the search down to a very small choice of artists. Now, any Christian musician would surely deny any great claim of their own in respect to the music they played, and would also admit if their music was lifting the Lord's name high in the ears of the hearer... or not. Again, this would narrow the search down to a tiny few.... especially if one considers aspects like counselling, healing, comforting and love, forgiveness and grace.
Again, any person can write songs. Even toddlers write/compose their own songs.

Now, your question about your children. To begin with, they are in your care until they grow and become men and women responsible for their own actions, and are no longer 'children' as such. Therefore, it is not up to them what gets listened to in your home.... that is your decision, and anyone telling you that you must give your children freedom of choice, is wrong. As they grow, you can instruct them with God's grace and help, about different music, just as you can instruct them about different cultures, and ways of life, and one would hope that your instruction provided them with wisdom.

I thought about this topic many times over the years as a Christian. Number one response has always been ..... will it be played in heaven? Is it the sort of 'music' that we can expect to hear for eternity. Would Jesus be 'into it' ? Is He now?

For many, who endorse different styles of music, and for now, heavy metal, the energy can be understood... the lyrics can be understood, and the sound can be understood.... by those who understand where it is coming from.

It's like this... there are drug addicts.... heavy users.... and they have a 'song' about their life and the where/why/who/how and what relating to the drug addict life.... so, do we expect our young children to fully grasp such deep understanding? Not really. Sure, they may see it first hand, and read about it, watch news reports, and even experience it in some sad circumstances, but generally speaking, it is an adult view that needs an adult mind to fully grasp.
Heavy metal is much the same. (I am NOT inferring a connection between drugs and heavy metal... merely using a picture of understanding how little children view things is so different to grown-ups way of seeing things)

So, no, you do not have to inflict your children with heavy metal.... it is hardly soothing to them, nor does it depict the peace of God which passeth understanding.
Likewise, do you think Heavy Metal would be suitable in an old peoples home, and finally... is is good to play really loudly to people with headaches or to quieten a needy baby? I don't think so....., so, again, NO is the answer to your question(s), AJS.

Music sets the atmosphere in a place, and is used for that purpose all over the world.... so, what atmosphere do you want to set for your children?

A lot of people who claim that heavy metal, death metal, punk metal or such like genre of 'music' is OK, are merely excusing their flesh.

All music is an expression, and although life can be expressed with loud electric noise, it is the life of anguish and pain that it stems from, NOT the life of Christ in us. Again, it in itself is not 'bad' or 'wrong' because it is an expression, but 'expression' is mostly the flesh... as is passion and anger. Therefore it is not from above.

You may be familiar with the Scripture,

Finally, bretheren,
whatsoever things are true,
whatsoever things are honest,
whatsoever things are just,
whatsoever things are pure,
whatsoever things are lovely,
whatsoever things are of good report;
if there be any virtue,
and if there be any praise,
think on these things. Philippians 4:8

and also....

the peaceable fruit of righteousness

And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
And, my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quite resting places Isaiah 32:17 & 18

AJS, can I suggest you also read James 3 ?

Hope this helps brother.

Bless you ...>

Br. Bear

ps...

Heavy Metal needs to be loud to be really as it is meant to be. To quote one of the most famous heavy metal bands, ...."everything louder than everthing else".

Now this may be appropriate for those who wish to be entertained by such loudness, but from the perspective of Scripture, if all the loud bands of the world were playing at once, as loud as was humanly possible, and even if everyone was making as much noise as possible at the same time, it would still be an insignificant mockery of the Lord and His power. When the earth shakes at His coming and presence, it will be something so powerful and awesome, that the heavy metal music industry will look more like mice in a blizzard.
However, the Lord is not really into using loudness from day to day, for reaching folk with His mercy and grace.... but rather, a still small voice... which is rather hard to hear at a heavy metal concert!

And, behold, the LORD passed by,
and a great and strong wind rent the mountains,
(think about it! ...my note)
and break in pieces the rocks before the LORD;
but the LORD was not in the wind:
and after the wind an earthquake;
but the LORD was not in the earthquake:
(listening? .... my note)
and after the earthquake a fire;
but the LORD was not in the fire:
and after the fire
a still small voice 1Kings 19: 11 & 12

Last edited:
Music in any form connects to people; different types connect to different souls. Southern Gospel touches me most. Maybe that's because it most resembles the Country music I grew up on. There is a ministry in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that uses rap music (imo "rap music" is a contradiction in terms) to reach street kids. I don't listen to rap, but they do, and if it can be used to reach them, I'm all for it. And I include heavy metal here because it is a genre of music, and it can be used to reach those who listen to it. Matching the style of music that the listener prefers, would be a lot more effective than to force church-style hymns or whatever as the only acceptable form of Christian music.

Last edited:
Staff Member
Yes, forcing anything is wrong.

There is music in each genre, and then there is psuedo-music... stuff that is a cheap attempt for a following and/or monetary gain. I think we all know that only every now and again out of the millions of musicians the world has seen, that only a very few are really talented, and when it comes to heavy metal, this is no exception.

The question was whether or not to feed heavymetal to children...

would you, Lovebird ?

I don't mind some southern heavymetal gospel , with a yodel or two, and a few extra genres chucked in.... if it doesn't violate my children, or others' children. Do you understand this. It is not about whether we think it is OK as music, or about tastes in music... but about how certain genres, and in this particular thread, heavy meatal, effects children.

I offer no rudeness nor critcism, but have you heard much heavymetal, and I mean by that, on a daily basis, as loud as possible, which is how it is played/intended to be listened to?

Related closer than rap, is Hard Rock, Thrash Metal, Death Metal, and the like.... none of which we can really say glorify the Lord. (there are always a few exceptions and nearly every band has one or two 'meaningful' and 'soft' tracks, but generally noise is the desired effect, with a chance of passing a musical calibre if possible.... some of the earlier heavy metal bands were trained in classical, applied it to electric instruments and volume, and are now reverting back to classical as they get long in the tooth and grey haired..... why do they revert?)

So, again, AJS,

NO! Your children do not need heavy metal to love and serve the Lord and love others as He loved them. If they want it later when they leave home, if they do, that is up to them, but for now, as your children, in your care.... beside still waters.... no, they can live without it and will be quite OK without it, just lead them to Jesus now.

Bless you ...><>

Br. Bear

Have I heard much heavy metal, the way it's meant to be played? Not by choice.... ;) It's not my preferred genre of music.

Should children be *made* to listen to it? No. Absolutely not. Any more than they should be made to listen to any other style of music if it doesn't appeal to them.

Should children be *allowed* to listen to it? If they prefer it, why not?

Will it be played in Heaven? How am I to know?

Is 90% of the music in any genre garbage, with only a small bit standing above the rest and showing real talent? You betcha.

Should any form of music be looked down on and thought of as demonic, just because of its particular sound? Not in my opinion. And I don't believe in judging people's Christianity by the type of music they listen to.

seems like we've been down this road before...and to the same end...
it's a thing you need to work out between you and God.
My veiw is all music came from God and we are to praise Him with EVERYTHING we have. What makes a song evil or good is what you are praising in the song.
Are you singing praises to God, or to/about the world.
I don't think Jesus listened to any music, did he? I'll have to research that...
He also didn't live in a house, and walked everywhere preaching the gospel.
With this debate there are people on both sides and people in between. I say if the Spirit is in you and the Spirit in you doesn't have peace, don't allow it. But don't disallow it because your flesh says it's not good. Your flesh may try to limit God and say He only uses this when it sounds like this. these beautiful words can only praise Him when it's sung to THIS melody. He uses everything.

Staff Member
Looking at what AJS has said at the beginning of this thread,

Shouldn't people be attracted to Christianity because of Jesus and his Power?

All music should reflect the fruits of the Spirit - Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self control Galations 5:22.
I don't believe Heavy Rock/Metal reflects these fruits. It demonstrates aggression, rebellion, depression, confusion etc and it distorts the soul of those who listen to it.

Should I teach my 5 children to listen to this music? Would those that view these statements encourage me to steer them in this direction?
Should I allow these warped album covers in my home to produce warped feelings in my children? Should I teach my children to smash guitars on my floor while playing violent music? Should I encourage them to follow the image of these bands - I don't think so!

I am endeavoring to teach them to follow Jesus.

let us explore a bit on these points....

it seems that some think it is all OK if you like it and we can not judge music to be 'good' or 'bad'.

Have you noticed at heavy metal concerts, a certain amount of aggression and perhaps people, often quite young, behaving outrageously, often under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, and more often than not lifting their hands with what is commonly understood as a salute to the devil, with little and index fingers outstretched from a tightly closed fist... the goat-head salute.
Now, have you seen this sort of behaviour in the what is called hymns and church music concerts?

I do not think anyone can honestly say that music doesn't set the mood.
As I type, I am listening to some heavy death metal type of music... and it most definitely sets the mood. My typing is much slower. My words are not fowing. On the same CD is the more classical and soft music that is in contrast to the heavy tracks. (so just for the record, and please before anymore loose comments are made, sit and listen first, and experience the difference...please)

On that note of mood, heavy metal excites and stimulates a very powerful fleshy response. I do not think any honest heavy metal fan or musician would deny that. It is half the reason it is played and listened to, because it does have a strong effect on the soul that listens or plays it.
This is true of blues and bluegrass, reggae, rap, punk, etc. I mention these to provide a comparison that some readers are familiar with.

(by the way, the heavy music is no longer playing here)

Now, if I could please comment about one comment made here, at least once, about all music being OK and from God. I could point those who suggest this to stuff that would leave you either terrified, sick or disgusted... so please be careful about generalisations. I am a reformed sinner, and have tasted some very dark stuff, pre-Christ, and if you had tasted it too, you would not be quite so keen to make such comments.... especially knowing the exact mood that these 'songs' were aiming to generate in the hearers... again, the audience primarily being young, and vunerable. Some 'music' is also so strong as to replace and exceed the strongest drugs in effect..... need I say more?

And then there are the countless songs that are purely written and sung/performed for worshipping completely un-Christian deities. So apart from blatant satanic stuff and occultic stuff, there is also plain old flesh and sex and rebellion and get stoned and hatred and suicide and... and ....the list goes on.

Not all music can be said to be from God. Be real.

As for some music being able to reach some folks, as I said before, this may be true. However, young children are not usually within reach with these things.... I think it could be agreed upon, that nurturing children with peaceful mood and setting is far preferred to heavy metal influence? Any care to dis-agree?

Another point of interest, perhaps, is the music in the days of Jesus. He would have been familiar and I am reasonably sure, very well versed in music. The psalms are musical items.... try listening to them and ask if they are heavy metal... the shofar is a powerful instrument, and voices used with precision, which is how they are sung (the Psalms in Hebrew tongue) all make for something quite different to heavy music. Music is and always has been connected to Jesus as Lord so, perhaps ask Him if He's into heavy metal for children.... stop speculating and pray perhaps... you will find that if you ask for wisdom, He will give it to you.... too many speak first, then hide behind their words in an attempt to hide from their ignorance. (not referring to anyone ..... just stating a fact... been there, done that)

Lovebird, I feel I have to take your generalisation about 'if the children want to and prefer something then why not?' and apply it across the board... does the same go for food, not doing schoolwork, pornography, violence and crime, gambling, teasing, drugs, cruely to animals, being racist..... etc. etc. etc.... mmmmmmm! Somehow I think it doesn't stick, and given that music IS a very influential and powerful force of stimulus which effects behaviour and reaction to things we experience in the flesh that we WAR against, it might be best to think again.... and I say this sincerely (while listening to a very gentle track) with love, so please don't get upset. It is merely a fact, Children are our responsibility and they need to learn what NO means, as well as yes. They are delicate and should be kept as much as possible from dark influence. If we say yes to things in our house, then we are saying yes.... it's a good and acceptable Christian thing to do.

May you know His joy each day and may it be your song.

to quote AJS again...

Shouldn't people be attracted to Christianity because of Jesus and his Power?

Bless you ...><>

Br. Bear

ps... Jesus would also have known the Song of Songs.... which I don't think was a heavy metal number, even in it's time.
Of course it is a little bit silly to say He would have known the Psalms and Song of Songs and other non-heavy metal songs in the Bible.... since He is the Word made flesh.
I also think maybe His mother might have sung to him occasionally while He was still a child ... wonder what genre?

I believe all "music" IS from God. What is music?
by definition
music is an art form in which the medium is sound.
1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.
2. the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line (melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to be sounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.
3. musical work or compositions for singing or playing.
4. the written or printed score of a musical composition.
5. such scores collectively.
6. any sweet, pleasing, or harmonious sounds or sound. the music of the waves.
7. appreciation of or responsiveness to musical sounds or harmonies. Music was in his very soul.
8. Fox Hunting. the cry of the hounds.
(hounds howling is music)
I am not saying that every song is OK with God...but God created EVERY musical instrument and I can't see how anyone can say that the musical instruments arranged a certain way is good or evil.
But I am done
like I said this road's been travelled before and it seems there are some on one side and some on the other and there is no meeting on it. The flesh says I HATE the rap, rock, heavy sound of the music so it is evil no matter that every word of it is singing praises to God. I only listen to Christian songs...no matter the sound..if it is singing praises to God...it is GOOD. if it is not..it is not. the lyrics someone posted are beautiful...no matter what the music to it sounds like. And I can't figure out how it can be said that it is good if it is sung to the sound of Amazing Grace and evil if it is sung to something hard.
I get just as excited over Amazing Grace as I do harder stuff...ah well...this conversation goes no where.
should you "force" your child to listen to Christian Rock Rap or Metal? No, but I don't condemn it because of the sound, judge it by it's fruits: Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and self control, not by it's sound
ok...I'm done.
God Bless

Lovebird, I feel I have to take your generalisation about 'if the children want to and prefer something then why not?' and apply it across the board... does the same go for food, not doing schoolwork, pornography, violence and crime, gambling, teasing, drugs, cruely to animals, being racist..... etc. etc. etc.... mmmmmmm! Somehow I think it doesn't stick, and given that music IS a very influential and powerful force of stimulus which effects behaviour and reaction to things we experience in the flesh that we WAR against, it might be best to think again.... and I say this sincerely (while listening to a very gentle track) with love, so please don't get upset. It is merely a fact, Children are our responsibility and they need to learn what NO means, as well as yes. They are delicate and should be kept as much as possible from dark influence. If we say yes to things in our house, then we are saying yes.... it's a good and acceptable Christian thing to do.

May you know His joy each day and may it be your song.

Since I didn't come to argue but merely to state my viewpoint, while allowing everyone else to do the same, I am quoting and responding to only the part where I specifically am being addressed.

1. I don't put any form of music on par with doing drugs, pornography, violence, etc. Heavy metal is not in and of itself immoral, and the things you describe are not limited only to that form of music. I'm not going to dictate matters of personal taste. My father did that--if it wasn't country, he wouldn't allow it in the house. That didn't cause me any trouble, because I happened to prefer country, but my brother loves rock and roll, and they fought about it more than once. My father forbade things not on moral judgement, but on his own personal preference.

2. I am not going to condemn as demonic any form of music just because it doesn't match my personal taste. If I don't listen to something, it doesn't mean my taste is "better," just that it's "different."

3. Other people are welcome to their points of view, just as I hope I am welcome to mine. I'm not here to persuade anyone, nor do I wish for anyone to force their opinions on me. Please don't insinuate that since I don't condemn heavy metal, just for being heavy metal, I do not know the Lord. Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.