• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Is dancing against god?

I like to dance.. by myself in my room.. when I hear a song that I love. Someone told me this past week that it is against god to dance. Is this really true?

I just can't imagine why God would be against dancing, unless it's like maybe dirty dancing. I've heard people talk about dancing in their church before, so whoever told you that must be a little confused. There are churches that don't believe in doing much of anything, but they are considered "legalistic," which is a sorry thing.

Don't concern yourself with anything like that because God will convict you through His spirit if you are doing something He isn't pleased with, or that would separate you from Him. Just dig into His Word and find out how much He loves you, and feel the joy of your Salvation.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Maybe others know something I don't know yet. GBU

2Sa 6:16 ¶ And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal Saul's daughter looked through a window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart.

Psalms 30:10-12 Hear, O LORD, and have mercy upon me: LORD, be thou my helper. Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; To the end that [my] glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.:wink:

Of course dancing is indeed fine and biblical. But I am sure you and I know that there is dancing and then there is the kind of dancing that is not appropriate. Common sense and your conscience should tell you the difference quite easily.

keep dancing and enjoy sweetie dont beleave every thing that people say, we are to listen to God not man. God bless you and enjoy Life in Christ. xx

Dancing

Dancing is fine as long as it isn't lap, exotic and dirty. Dancing is good for the spirit, mind as well as physical I believe it promots good health.

I dance a lot! I have danced in front of my church doing an interpretive dance and just worshiping God. As someone posted the scriptures, David danced before the Lord. In Jewish culture, dancing is a huge part of their celebrations. I would guess that Jesus danced while He walked this Earth.

This is a very interesting topic for me because I am a dancer. And I do it as a hobby and for competitions. I love to dance and I talked to God about this and he tells me its fine as long as I give him all the glory in it. He knows that I love to dance. He knows this well. But he also tells me not to allow it to alter my state of thoughts. Just always keep him first and fore most. Then he will be just fine with it.

Now there are some traditions or denominations that even go as far as to say that musical instruments in church are an abomination before God and that dancing is also, but I do not get where they are coming from in that line of reasoning.

Do not let those bound in legalism take your freedom but also do not let your liberty be a stumbling block to others.
Be led of the Holy Spirit and you will always make the right move.

It depends on type of dancing, how are you dancing, why are you dancing and where are you dancing. There is no fixed rule and as one brethren said, common sense, and Spirit of God should tell you all! If you get sensitive to God then the question will soon vanish :)

Though I don't think that David's dance should be used as reference. There are two kinds of reaction that a Christian might have: Joy dancing (Because daddy brought you a prize or something of the kind) and Joy worship (Before God our Maker). I believe the first one was what David did and should not be used as reference to many "Church dances". When you are happy dancing you can do a lot of funny thing which you can't just do them when worshipping!

No Fixed rule "thou shalt not dance" ;)

I think dancing is wonderful and a gift from God. I have definitely been touched by some of the amazing performances that I have seen various dance ministries put on. In my opinion I think dancing outside of the church is ok. Dancing is another art form just like theater and visual arts and just as they can be used to worship God they can also be used in life for the sake of enjoyment. I think that as long as what you are doing is actual dancing and not an imitation of sinful acts that it is ok.

There are two kinds of reaction that a Christian might have: Joy dancing (Because daddy brought you a prize or something of the kind) and Joy worship (Before God our Maker).

David's dancing was an act of joyful worship (2 Sam 6:21), not the perverted exhibitionism that his wife Michal took it to be.

SLE

Careful In Dancing

Whoever told you this does not know the Bible. If Dancing was a sin then music would also be a sin. One might have said this because of perhaps the main stream dancing of today which might include grind bumping. Grind bumping is really a tease kind of like having cyber sex on the dance floor.
This kind of dancing to several partners is not pleasing to God. Dancing can be a good thing. Depending on how we dance if 2 are married they can dance naked. It’s not a sin. But now on the real side going out dancing needs to glorify God. Like music should dancing can be fun but should not be tantalizing with sex gestures that can lead to a one night stand. No problem dancing with one self. I like doing that also. It might be tougher to find places where you can dance the right way. But this is also true with TV and radio. It’s hard to find what is not trash and of filth of bad language and such.

But remember Jesus said broad is the way but narrow is the gate that leads to life. We need to be narrow in our music dancing and TV according to what a Christian should be doing. It’s all well worth it. The world doesn’t understand but the Lord does when we do things His way.