• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

I'm finding reading my Bible a challenge.

I started reading the Old Testament this year and now I'm at Exodus 27. I'm finding reading a challenge at thid point and have stalled.

I'm just wondering how to go about keeping my motivation and interest going at this point.

Some day you are going to see this tabernacle which is an exact replica of the one that stands in heaven. Something to look forward to and definitely something to admire during it's building stages in Exodus o_O

Administrator
Staff Member
Hi @noma24

What is it about Exodus 27 that you're struggling with? Do you have a study bible? Also, it's very important to understand GOD's characteristics and His love in order to better interpret why He does certain things that seem 'edgy' in the OT for example. A study bible is very important. Not only that, prayer that the Holy Spirit gives you understanding.

James 1:5
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

Loyal
Admittedly Exodus isn't always the most exciting book of the Bible. However parts of it really reveal God's nature.
The plagues in Egypt, the parting of the Red Sea, the burning bush. These are pretty exciting things and God was doing some amazing things at this time.

Pray, ask God to reveal Himself to you. (not His physical presence, but His character and will).
Get involved in a church Bible study group. I agree a "study" Bible helps, but almost every study Bible has a particular spin on it.
Get around other believers who enjoy the word and talking about it.

I've found that the closer I feel to God the more desire and motivation I have to pray and read the Bible. If you are spending a lot of time in a fleshly mindset then you are going to, of course, desire worldly things more. God is a spirit and he that worships Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth. I'm not saying that this is your issue, but if you are letting sin reign in your mortal body the things of God are not going to be as important to you. They will not feed someone living in the flesh because they are spirit. If none of what I have said makes sense to you then it wasn't for you, sorry.

Active
I know what you are dealing with. When I knew I had encountered Jesus, I knew I had to get extreme about God. I read the New Testament once a month for the first year I was "born again", experiencing my second water baptism, actually praying at least twice a day. The pastor that got through to me said I needed the background of the old testament, as I had too many "why" questions. He recommended standing on the edge of the bathtub while reading it. Doing that got my attention, and improved my balance skills, and I read it aloud to myself as though preaching it so I could learn by reading and hearing both. To this day I walk around the house reading the Bible aloud, using the phone app. I won't sit doing that. If the average preacher can stand preaching it 45 minutes, so can I. When the Lord sees your dedication, He will amplify your learning experience such that, I pray, you will find it painful to stop reading. Thirst for the word of God like the deer panting for the water.

Active
He recommended standing on the edge of the bathtub while reading it

Wait.... what? He really recommended that? I've never heard of that in my life. Not that I can think of any reason not to do this... I guess I'm just missing the why on this one.

Ask the Father to give you an appetite for the word. Besides that, things that motivate me are getting to share what I have learned with others. Perhaps find someone you can discuss what you have read about with. Although it doesn't tickle my fancy so much, a lot of people like journaling about what they study in the scriptures. Perhaps you might enjoy that.

Hope that was of any help!

Blessings,

Travis

Active

RJ

I'm just wondering how to go about keeping my motivation and interest going at this point.
Motivation and drive is largely driven down to you by God.
The key to this is being a true Christian. Whether just think you are a Christian or don't know, it is time to find out.

Admittedly Exodus isn't always the most exciting book of the Bible. However parts of it really reveal God's nature.
The plagues in Egypt, the parting of the Red Sea, the burning bush. These are pretty exciting things and God was doing some amazing things at this time.

Pray, ask God to reveal Himself to you. (not His physical presence, but His character and will).
Get involved in a church Bible study group. I agree a "study" Bible helps, but almost every study Bible has a particular spin on it.
Get around other believers who enjoy the word and talking about it.

Absolutely. I really like the earlier parts, indeed reading about God freeing the Israelites from pharoah, the plagues and the passover.

Hi @noma24

What is it about Exodus 27 that you're struggling with? Do you have a study bible? Also, it's very important to understand GOD's characteristics and His love in order to better interpret why He does certain things that seem 'edgy' in the OT for example. A study bible is very important. Not only that, prayer that the Holy Spirit gives you understanding.

James 1:5
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

The challenge has come when reading about God's instruction on building and design of various 'artefacts', I lose my attention at these points. I realise they aren't 'artefacts', because they are really built by God, not men.

I think I struggle to think in an abstract design type of way, it's trying to bring images of those buildings to life in my head. My mind is not very artistic. I will pray about it and also for the Holy Spirit to help me where I'm struggling.

I don't have a study Bible. I will have to get one.

Ask the Father to give you an appetite for the word. Besides that, things that motivate me are getting to share what I have learned with others. Perhaps find someone you can discuss what you have read about with. Although it doesn't tickle my fancy so much, a lot of people like journaling about what they study in the scriptures. Perhaps you might enjoy that.

Blessings,

Travis

Thanks for the advice :).

Some day you are going to see this tabernacle which is an exact replica of the one that stands in heaven. Something to look forward to and definitely something to admire during it's building stages in Exodus o_O

Thank you. I like that reminder.

Active
Wait.... what? He really recommended that? I've never heard of that in my life. Not that I can think of any reason not to do this... I guess I'm just missing the why on this one.

Blessings,

Travis

It worked for me. I relished the New Testament, learning so much about what changed me so dramatically. But when I began reading the Old Testament, I bogged down so much I began reading the Bible at all a day here, there, until I was reading one hour a week, trying to split the testaments half and half. I would find myself sleeping or reading and not remembering a thing. The bathtub isea comes from when we were in grade school, required to stand when reading our part of a book. You will pay more attention. Standing on an edge helps you concentrate more. I improved my concentration, getting my attention back to actual study of scriptures. That resulted in reading the Bible in full many times each year until now. Taking courses and having study Bibles has helped tremendously, and so has involvement on the forums helped. The most significant help for me has been being a Bible teacher and substitute lay preaching (volunteer, not staff) for years.

Loyal
Ok. From Genesis 1 to the mid-point of Exodus you have been reading one drama after another. And now it goes from epic storytelling to legal statutes and construction manuals.

Lots of the advice above sounds good to me

FWIW maybe vary the speed and the amount you read. It's perfectly reasonable to spend a month meditating over a short passage, and it's also no harm to bite off big chunks at a time. Zoom though the rest of Exodus in one sitting, and maybe take Leviticus and Numbers at a similar speed. If you want to balance it with something a bit more reflective then read eight verses of Psalm 119 as you go through the legal sections. Then you can see how the scriptures that we find remote and dull to read were life-giving and inspiring to those who followed them.

And give yourself a pat on the back too. You've got a good way into the Old Testament already, so keep it up.

Ok. From Genesis 1 to the mid-point of Exodus you have been reading one drama after another. And now it goes from epic storytelling to legal statutes and construction manuals.

Lots of the advice above sounds good to me

FWIW maybe vary the speed and the amount you read. It's perfectly reasonable to spend a month meditating over a short passage, and it's also no harm to bite off big chunks at a time. Zoom though the rest of Exodus in one sitting, and maybe take Leviticus and Numbers at a similar speed. If you want to balance it with something a bit more reflective then read eight verses of Psalm 119 as you go through the legal sections. Then you can see how the scriptures that we find remote and dull to read were life-giving and inspiring to those who followed them.

And give yourself a pat on the back too. You've got a good way into the Old Testament already, so keep it up.

Thank you for the tips and advice.

Guys, thanks so much for suggesting I get a study version of the Bible. Its very interactive with so much explanation and answers to my 'whys?'.

Active

RJ

Guys, thanks so much for suggesting I get a study version of the Bible. Its very interactive with so much explanation and answers to my 'whys?'.
That is wonderful. I think a good way to look at this is three ways: You, your Bible and the Holy Spirit; this is an unbeatable combination!

I started reading the Old Testament this year and now I'm at Exodus 27. I'm finding reading a challenge at thid point and have stalled.

My solution is a little unorthodox, but works for me. I think the need for a study bible for new readers is a little like feeding steak to an infant - yes they could eat it, but would it do them any good? So I'd not be worried about getting one until you need to get deeper meanings. Get a version you can understand (NIV is a good choice but even a Living Bible will do). I see you're from across the pond, but you probably don't speak the King's on a regular basis, so I'd not recommend a King James version until you're doing research.
A lot of people get hung up in the early stages of bible readings because of the very thing you've described - monotony and repetition of details - which are not exciting. Add to that the length of the books and it's hard to feel like you've really accomplished anything.
Here's my recommendation: Start at the back and read forward. Leave out Revelation for now because it's hard to understand in the first place.

Why start at the back? Jude is one chapter long. 2nd and 3rd John are also one chapter long. 1st John is only 5 chapters and so on. The feeling you're getting somewhere is huge. Plus, your getting the Gospel as a benefit. Continue in this manner until you've read Acts. At this point, you can read the gospels in any order you choose. As far as the Old Testament, you can read it backwards too, but the story will be mixed up. I'd start at Joshua then read through Job. Read Psalms and Proverbs anytime, all the time. If you want to continue the story, read the major prophets and minor prophets in order. If you'd prefer to understand the beginning, read the first five (Genesis, Exodus, etc) just know it will take a while and will be dry in places. Remember though these books are the foundation for all and must be understood at some point in your journey with Christ. Read Revelation when you're ready for it. When you read Psalms, read it slowly and savor each word, phrase, and sentence. Put yourself in the place of the writer seeing what he saw, the mood he was in, and why he wrote it. It will make such perfect sense.

Good luck
just-a-servant

Wait till you get to Leviticus :) I've found listening to sermons from trusted sources to work best for me. But I agree a Study Bible is good. I find myself so busy that listen to sermons works best for me.. When I'm driving or exercising. Best wishes!

Administrator
Staff Member
Hi @noma24

Listen to these preachers via daily podcast sermons:

Derek Prince
Charles Stanley
David Jeremiah

They're clear, teach in simple to understand ways, sound and cover the bible entirely.