• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Ideas? Tips? I play guitar.

My church wants me to play for them. I am out of season when it comes to playing, but I would like to reinstitute the hobby back into my life. My musical coordinator wants me to learn Jesus Friend of Sinners by Casting Crowns first off. They like to play inspiration Christian music, some soft rock, a lot of gospel and joy found in our church. I have been playing for years. However, I have found that the more you stay away from the music, the more it stays away from you when you come back to it, so it's definitely not like riding a bike for me. I have forgotten... A lot. Anyways, I like a lot of rock, I would like to try out some gospel jam. I am unfamiliar with scales and many chord shapes/progressions. I typically search tablatures on google when looking for a good song to learn. I love playing my heart out, if I had the talent. If you of you know any songs my church would like, please tell me something! I would like to learn this pretty quickly in my own house :)

My brother I encourage you to look past you're own talents in this and seek the Holy Spirit to recall to you all things taught of God .that includes all gifts in you given by God .My family is from a musical back ground,dad was a drummer ( he helped establish western swing music Tommy Perkins is in many hall of fame mentions..! ) and I feel the pull in my own life but like you forgot most of what dad taught me.Now my 13yr old is starting to learn guitar .He also is wanted by praise team at church but is unsure of his talents ...Gods giftings are with out repentance .His calling is with out regret..look to God for the talent and ask Him to make the gift of music in you're soul to be pleasing to His ears ...God will use any and all we Give Him for His Glory .no matter how how big or small it is ,it's not about talent but about a willingness to serve God...Revj

Last edited:
Loyal
It's hard to give advice here. If you are a beginner what chords do you know? Most of the basic major ones?
I download a lot of chord music from www ultimate-guitar com . I like Chris Tomlin, Jeremy Camp, MercyMe, Casting Crowns,
Phillips Craig and Dean, Third Day, Aaron Shust, and many others. What songs does your church already know? What Christian songs do you already know?
I listen to the radio and when there is a song I like, I download the chord sheet and try to play it. Start with something easy, no bar chords, mostly major chords,
Am and Em are probably the two commonest and easiest minor chords. Get a chord book with all the chords in it. Practice with two or three easy ones,
see how it goes, and then move up to more difficult stuff. As Rev said, pray about it, and give God the glory!!

I don't know what to say, I just need to hop back to it. Today they were singing I am a friend of God, He Calls Me Friend.. And some others I forget the names of. I know all my major chords. And most of my minor chords as well. I've played things with some complexity in the past, I've almost forgotten it all by now. Just 2 days ago, I picked it back up and began to learn Jesus Friend of Sinners by Casting Crowns, and I learned how to play Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. But then a string broke, and I'm broke, so I have to find a solution, buy some new strings... Yeah

And don't start playing pink Floyd ,but this instead Philippians 4:8 whatsoever things are pure and honest ,if there be any beauty ,virtue or honor if there be any PRAISE think on these things...! Commit all you do to God alone for He is a loving God

but doesn't like to see His Gifts misused ...or you might break another string. God loves you Dawg and its time to seek first the Kingdom of God and all His Righteousness ,that He may add to you that is needed for this !...Rev

Last edited:
Active
. Grace and Peace
Anyone can be a musician, singer song writer, but only few can be a worshiper. Worship is a lifestyle, it's not about learning chords, finding the latest songs to sing at the church. Worship is a form of communication, it must be holy, the worshiper heart must be pure in spirit, he/ she must believe what they sing is truth.

Musicians and worshipper are not the same. A musician calls their craft a passion, it becomes more about their likes, the sounds they enjoy and what best suits them. A worshipper is lead by God's holy spirit, they know it's not about them or their likes. They worship God daily, because they surround themselves with worship, it's God who leads them in choosing the songs.

The more you worship, you'll get the songs, the most songs you worship with,all of this will become natural. Don't limit yourself to christian rock, listen to some praise and worship. Google Wow cd's Worship songs from the 90's to early 2000's ( the heart of worship was different )

Steve Kuban, Jason upton, Johnathan Butler, Keith Green, Chris Tomlin, micheal w smith,Steve Curtis Chapman, Third day, Isreal and New Breed, Casting crowns, jars of clay, audio adrenaline, Sherwin Gardner You tube them.

Blessings to you, have fun most importantly

John 4
23But the hour comes, and now is, when the true worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeks such to worship him.

24God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Last edited:
Bro Cote, maybe you should try Chris Tomlin's songs or John Waller's. They are Christian artists who often play soft rock musics. :) God bless you!