• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

I Need Bible Study Advice

Hello, I have been a follower for many years and have read the Bible several times, yet, I have not read it with a "structure". :coocoo:Can someone please guide me to a Begginers reading outline so I many grasp the concept and follow it through to the end (I always start and then it's like the internet, start going off in a different direction:secret:) Is there such a thing as studying "straight through"?

HELP

Active

RJ

Hello, I have been a follower for many years and have read the Bible several times, yet, I have not read it with a "structure". :coocoo:Can someone please guide me to a Begginers reading outline so I many grasp the concept and follow it through to the end (I always start and then it's like the internet, start going off in a different direction:secret:) Is there such a thing as studying "straight through"?

HELP
There are all kinds of study guides that take you "straight through" the Bible, most say it takes about a year if you follow their guide but, it appears that you have already done that.
If you have read it several times and still need "structure" as you say, I would,respectfully, ask if you have asked the Holy Spirit for discernment, He is your real structure guide. Structurely, the Bible, from beging to the end is about only one thing: that is Jesus Christ.
With reading the entire BIble and you are still missing some pieces of the puzzle, I would suggest concentrating on the gospel that St. Paul said he preached: "the death, burial and resurrecion of Jesus Christ. If you are also looking for the truth about, forgiveness, salvation, the law and grace, then may I suggest a wonderful ministry at www.realanswers.net

Last edited:

HELP

Hello cynt........I hear you.... and I try to help.

I am reading/have been..... for I draw near to the end of it, reading through the bible this year 2009, with bible readings provided each day by c.b.n. Christian Broadcasting Network.

The bible reading has been sent to my p.c. each day....and taken from the New Living Translation........Being a lifelong A.V. reader I have found the N.L.T giving new light......to an old crust like myself, and I have been blessed.

But I have been doing this.....because I have met the author. Otherwise all this reading would lifeless information.

Forgive me if I am getting you lovely post wrong....when I say the letter killeth....ect 2Cor 3: 6

It is good to read the word of God.....the "entrance of thy word giveth light" says the book. But I would encourage you to seek Jesus.....seek the fullness of the Holy Spirit........Jesus said "ask and it shall be given....seek and you will find......ect

I am trying to be of help.....I want you to meet Jesus....and be on the floor in His presence.........after that His word will be different...you will not be asking........you will be giving

Sincerely....in His Love

I would suggest studying the four gospels first- Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Really, one or two would suffice for getting the general idea as they are the same accounts just from different viewpoints. These will give you the general idea about the life of Christ and His teachings. These are the teachings we should emphasize and live by today.

Then study James- it is a GREAT book for knowing how to live as a Christian.

1 John would come next. This is the book about knowing if you truly love God.

Then I guess you could start with the rest of the new testament. Acts is a good place. It talks about how the church that Jesus established on the day of Pentecost began and shows good examples of how the first Christians were saved and baptized.

Stick to God's word when you are studying. Try not to be influenced by preachers or parents or friends. Just do what the Bible says alone, and you will be ok! Knowing what God's Word says is important in knowing that you are following it correctly.

If you want anymore help message me, and I will be glad to help you out more!

When I came to Christ in 1983 I had a raging thirst for God's word, but I was clueless as to where to start. By God's grace I received sound advice, which was to start with the Gospel of John (It has the broadest coverage of Jesus' teachings), then read the other gospels, the epistles, and the Book of Revelation in that order.

As Joe Johnston said, ask the Holy Spirit for guidance. Finally, I've always shied away from published Bible reading plans. I've found that many times the Spirit wants me to stop and meditate on what I've just read.

Spirit Led Ed (SLE)

Last edited:
Hi Cynt, since you read the Bible through couple of times, maybe trying to study with a particular subject.

Like the one's already mention: The life of Jesus.

Also maybe Paul's journey, or the 12 tribes of Israel, just a ideal.

WOW, you guys are great. I see by the responses I read I am on the right path and will continue as I have been. The one that truely struck close to home was the one that mentioned "ask for guidance". At one point I thought to myself "this is the direction He wants me to go" then the flesh part of me jumped in.

Thank you all for your wonderful responses.

Active
Other´s may give us advice of certain things to begin with, and what they determine to follow with, but actually the only one that can teach us is the Spirit of God, which will teach us all truth, and guide into all truth, and bring into our remembrance whatsoever Christ has said; if we trust God that is.
And then we need not that any person teaches us, if so be that we have the Holy Spirit of Truth in us.

Loyal
if it is a disciplined structure you are after, the most widely used, I think, is the M'cheyne plan.

Reading four chapters a day, it will take you through the entire Bible - psalms and New Testament twice and the Old Testament once. An internet search will find it easily enough.

Personally I found it quite difficult to approach. There is so much to get through each day that for me it felt more like homework than it should.

My favorite is "Search the Scriptures". It takes three years to go through the whole bible if you do it each day (seven and counting for me). But it gives questions each day, which help get to the heart of the passage. The questions also safeguard against skim-reading a passage without slowing down enough to hear what God is saying.

I have found it inspirational, and its given me huge confidence in handling the word of God.

HELP

I've read the bible through a few times too, but I have problems retaining things, so now I basically just read by topic.....whatever it is that I'm wanting to study at the time. For instance, if I'm studying "Love", I'll get my Concordance out and look up Love and then read all the verses on it, along with all their cross-references. Most of the time it leads to reading a few chapters, or an entire book, instead of just the verse I was looking up.

HELP

That makes perfect sense. My bible is pages upon pages bent to mark a spot where I have read to, left off from etc. Sometimes a particular scripture leads me to other areas of the bible, if I did not travel there, I would not learn all God had for me at that particular time. You could say you are going to read through the bible, and that is good, get a special bookmark for that, but if you end up going from 2nd Samuel to somewhere in the New Testament, so what. Next day, go back to your special bookmark area and start again.

Scripture I read five years ago reads deeper today, and that is how you hide His word in your heart.

In their writen order

Troy a servant of God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Some folks don`t know that the cannon order and the writen order are two diferent things. I`ll give you the New Testament and if you would like just drop a line and I`ll give you the Old Testament. You may already be aware of this, if so ok, if not, well you wil be now.

Amen

Troy
James, Galatians,Matthew, Mark,1&2 Thessaloians,1&2 Corinthians,Romans,Luke,Ephesians,Philippians,Colossians,Philemon, Acts,1Timothy,Titus,1 Peter,2 Timothy,2 Peter,Hebrews,Jude,John,12&3 John,Revelation.

A good mind set for the study to me is, Verse By Verse, until you know it. It takes a strong will and determination, but all & all you come out with a better understanding, I believe. Hope that this helps.

God Bless You.

Bible study

I must agree with one of the others who posted their reply to you than the Holy Spirit teaches us all things. It would be best to read John 14 and 16.

The best way to get teaching is to get to a Bible Teacher (Ephesians 4:11) If you read the whole of Ephesians Chapter 4 it will answer your question because here you have the different ministries Apostle, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors and Teachers. All these are there to raise the body of Christ to Christ Likeness 2 Cor 3 and 1 Cor 1.

Yes it is good to study the Word of God but you need someone to expound on the Word and the Holy Spirit will enlighten your heart. This is a relationship and out of that relationship the Holy Spirit writes the Word onto your heart so you become Christ like. When this happens it sets your up for you to teach and help others and for you to grow into whatever ministry the Lords has for you.

There are other good ways of studying the bible but I do not have the time now to give it all to you. However, I will come and put in another post that will assit you in your endeavour.

Enjoy

Bible study continued

am back again with the promised feedback regarding teaching. I want you to first focus on the verse in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 which says: (Word meanings = Oxford Concise Dictionary + Scripture OKJV)

16: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

When we break down the verse elements we find that there are four components that stand out. These components are given below with a short explanation:

Doctrine:

doctrine // n.
1 what is taught; a body of instruction.
2 a a principle of religious or political etc. belief. b a set of such principles; dogma.
doctrinism n.
doctrinist n.
[Middle English via Old French from Latin doctrina ‘teaching’ (as doctor)]

Reproof

reproof1 // n.
1 blame (a glance of reproof).
2 a rebuke; words expressing blame.
[Middle English from Old French reprove, from reprover reprove]

Correction:

correction // n.
1 a the act or process of correcting. b an instance of this.
2 a thing substituted for what is wrong.
3 archaic punishment (house of correction).
correctional adj.
[Middle English via Old French from Latin correctio -onis (as correct)]

Instruction

instruction // n.
1 (often in pl.) a direction; an order (gave him his instructions).
2 teaching; education (took a course of instruction).
3 Brit. Law (in pl.) directions to a solicitor or counsel.
4 Computing a direction in a computer program defining and effecting an operation.
instructional adj.
[Middle English via Old French from Late Latin instructio -onis (as instruct)]

It is imperative that any teaching be based on sound doctrine because if one does no teach correctly, that is in sound doctrine, the result will be that people will be bound to this earth (Matthew 16:1-19 (emphasis vs 16-19 inclusive).

Hebrews 4: 12 - For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Good sound doctrine will bring about a conviction in the heart and move the sinner away from his/her sin to repentance which is what the Word of God is for. If it is not good sound doctrine it will bind the person hearing it to this world, there would be no conviction of sin.

Take note that the Word of God is a two-edged sword showing that both the Old and the New Testaments are valid in doctrine, reproof, correction and/or instruction.

Reproof is to put the blame where it is needed. We do not like to be blamed for something wrong but it is always good to reprove because if something has gone wrong and we cannot find the cause of the problem we cannot effectively prevent it from spreading. Blaming should lead to correction and not vindictiveness. If the person is willing to accept they have done wrong and repent we have one him/her over.

There will be times when we will have to correct someone who is wrong in what they are doing or teaching and that is necessary to ensure that that person does not influence others in their error and ultimately cause them to fall away from the truth. Additionally correction will bring the person back in line with sound doctrine. In such cases we know that he/she will have to admit to others that they made an error so that it is corrected. They will essence have to repent before God and man.

Studying the Word of God will ultimately cause you to grow in the knowledge of the truth and therefore enable you to do the above in love.

2 Timothy 2:15:
15: Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Because we are taught by God we show ourselves approved of God by rightly dividing the word of truth. The Word of God given by the Holy Spirit is written on our minds and hearts (Hebrews 8:10 + 2Cor 3 + 1 Cor 3) causing us to grow from strength to strength bring glory to Jesus Christ. We share that Word with others, in love, and by doing so cause others to grow as a result of our ministry towards them. One waters plants the seed of the Word and the other waters that seed and God causes it to grow.

This is a relationship, therefore do not be caught up in attempting to study the Word systematically as the Holy Spirit will give you what you should share resulting in you being taught first so as to benefit others. The doctrines found within the Word will come naturally as you continue receive good sound doctrine which will cause you to grow in the Lord and ultimately in the righteousness of Christ. Read 1 Cor 12 where it states that all gifts are a manifestation of the Holy Ghost working in you and through you.

WE live Under the NEW Testament . It started after the LORD DIED ON THE CROSS!
And We need to ASK the HOLY GHOST in FAITH , about all scriptures!
We study them and ASK!

1Jn 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Joh 6:45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

1Co 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

1Th 4:9 But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.

Eph 4:21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

1Jn 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

Act 13:39 And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Heb 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Gal 3:12 And the law is not of faith
Heb 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith

Heb 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
Heb 9:16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
Heb 9:17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.
Heb 9:20 Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you.

1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto
righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Rapture

The scriptures that you refer to in your post must be seen in context with the whole chapter and those you provided are from the book of Matthew Chapter 13 and refer to the sharing of the Gospel. The Word of God being the seed and how they are received by different persons and the condition of the hearts of those persons. Jesus Himself gives the interpretation to all these parables within the chapter and there is no need to restate them here. However I do want to amplify the meaning of the wheat and the tares that the Lord originally gave. They refer to two brides:

Wheat = Bride of Christ.
Tares = Bride of the Anti-Christ.

tare1 // n. (Oxford Concise English Dictionary)
1 vetch, esp. as corn-weed or fodder.
2 (in pl.) Bibl. an injurious weed resembling corn when young (Matt. 13:24–30).
[Middle English: origin unknown]

Two brides, one represents Cain and the other Abel. Cain attempted to achieve his salvation from sin through his good works (religious observance of which the tilling of the ground and the production of a crop in an attempt to offer it to God represents) and Abel believed in a sacrifice (an animal in this instance but symbolic of the Christ to come and in whom Abel believed), someone other than himself who being without defect or blemish (Exodus 12 and fulfilled in the Gospels) gave his life so that he may have eternal life.

In the day of Jesus there were many who were, like Cain, trying to please God through religious observance, the Pharisees are an example of a Cain. The disciples whom Jesus called were given by God to Him and they believed in the Messiah to come, the perfect sacrifice. These, and all true believers in Jesus Chris, are the what Abel symbolically represented.

There are many today that proclaim they are Christians under different names such as the Jehovah Witnesses, Roman Catholics, Mormons but are not Christians. No one not born again, that is born of the Spirit of God has eternal life in them. No one can be born a Christian because if this were the case why then did Jesus have to die on the cross (Hebrews 2:21)? Why is the whole Bible teaching repentance and the resultant justification through Jesus Christ? I am not against these people just I do not believe what their doctrines teach what the true bible teaches and would be failing them, you and God if I did not bring out the truth (1 Corinthians 4:1-3).

There are those who just copy everything that the the true church is doing and they proclaim they are born again, but, their fruit does not bear witness to this even though it is so similar that only when they tend to reach maturity can you tell the difference between them and the true church. They show love, they prophesy, they pray, they even cast out demons but they are not known by God or Jesus Christ.

These two types are then typical of the bride of the Anti-Christ (which means instead of Christ”). They are the weeds planted by Satan in the field amongst the wheat and are a deception. Their aim is to strangle the true believers with their false doctrines, lying prophesies and fake healings.

Jesus gave many teachings in His walk with His disciples and there is an analogy written there in that speaks of His Bride and Him returning to take her to be where He is. The analogy goes like this:

In those days there was no such thing a courtship among the Israelites. When the man found the woman whom he wanted to marry the he would take a contract of marriage to the intended brides father a present it to him.

Whilst there he poured red wine into a silver goblet and handed it to her. If she drank of that cup she accepted his proposal of marriage written in the contract.

She then wore a vale to show that she had been set apart for marriage.

He would go away to prepare a place for her, a marriage chamber.

There would be gifts for the bride.

He would only return when his father gave the okay and that would be when he had completed the marriage chamber. He would return with a shout and she would have to be ready for him always keeping her oil lamp trimmed and listening for that shout.

The New Testament in Jesus' Blood is the contract of marriage. The silver goblet represents redemption and the red wine the Blood of the New Covenant. When the persons believe in this new covenant and the resulting redemption through the Blood of Jesus Christ they show their belief by partaking in the drinking of the wine and the eating of the bread. The Word of God is the Bread of Life and we accept it and break it with each other in fellowship.

When we have accepted this covenant we are set apart and declared justified, consecrated, sanctified to the one who will come back for us when He has completed the place He has gone to prepare for us and once His Father says it is time. We wait for the shout, we keep the oil lamp trimmed. The oil lamp is symbolic of the Holy Spirits and His work in us, our anointing given to us to empower us to become Christ like. Jesus Himself baptizes in the Holy Ghost Matthew 3:11. They would operate in the gifts of the Spirit (1 Corinthians 12)

So we wait for His promised return. We wait in anticipation of the shout the trumpet blast and our being taken up with Him to Glory, forever His bride.

There is no word that says rapture in the Word of God but the teaching of it is definitely there and it will definitely happen. Two will be standing in the field and one will be taken .......

Enjoy!!

The bride of course are those Born -Again!
Born again, Born of GOD , born from above ,and Born of our Spirit !
Are All GOD giving us a fresh start by giving us, a NEW SPIRIT!

The new Spirit is made just like our LORD!
All Gods Children are copies of JESUS CHRIST! He is the last or 2nd Adam!
All born after Him are made like Him! All being a bit different because of the lives we live here!

It makes us a NEW Heavenly creature!
That is why we get new names , bodies ,crowns , kingdoms!
Much more!

Gal 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

1Co 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

1Co 15:48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.