• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

I have a serious problem!!!!!

I need some advice and your prayers. I am a girl and I like to shop. Ok, I LOVE to shop. Well, I got quite a bit of money for my graduation, and I have spent the biggest portion of it. Now, my mom told me to spend it on what I wanted, but I went to see the movie "Madagascar" (By the way was awesome, and I'd see it again in a heartbeat!) and I bought the ticket, and by the end of the night, I ended up spending over $40 dollars. I had already been to the mall once that day and spent over $60. So in total including food throughout the day, I spent about $120 or $130 dollars. And I was only going for a movie. When it comes to flip flops and purses, I am the queen. Let me tell you! And I had to stop in Bath and Body works, and left with more than what I went in for. There was a purse for $36 dollars, and I have been waiting to get this purse for about three months, and I could get it for $20 if I bought $20 in merchandise. So I couldn't pass it up.

I am a compulsive shopper! I need help. I fear that when I fly away from the coupe, I wont last, and I want to get independant. I really do. But I know this is a very weird and off topic thread, but I need your prayers that I can obstain from shopping.

Oh, and if anyone is out there like me, and can manage their money, please tell me how! PLEASE!!!!!!!! I'm begging you!
I would appreciate it.

God Bless
Sis in Christ:love:
Lnrobar

I will pray for you . But not how you think I will . Instead of praying for you to stop having a blast at the mall . I will pray that God sends a very rich man into you're life !!!! lol ! :love: :boy_hug: Mike

We are to be good stewards of what GOd has given us. If we start our day asking His guidance and then making a firm decision to obey what He instructs us to do then we wont be spending so much that we will get into a financial bind. We will develope responsibilty in that area.

I know this. But you do not know me! I start off by hiding back about $40 or $50 in a hidden pocket in my wallet, then I see shoes, and accessories, and that's all she wrote! My dollars bite the dust! I am a shopoholick, and it wasn't that bad at first. I just thought I was like any other teenage girl, but then it formed into, "Oh my gawsh, I have to have that to match this shirt! And I only need three more colors and I have all the flip-flops I need!" Then that formed into, "I need more shoes! I need this purse!"
Now, I am actually noticing myself that I can't stop myself when it comes to shopping! I am not trying to be funny, I am 100% as serious as a pregnant woman in labor!
When I see shopping is bad for me, then that is definatley something I should worry about! I am scared for my future!
In a way this is the funniest thing I have heard of, but it isn't really that funny! It's sad! You know?

Do I got anyone out there who's got my back in this, and knows what I am talking about, or am I just worrying about nothing?
I really don't think I am. There is something bad wrong here!
This is crazy! I need to never go to a store again.

Tonight I went to Wal-Mart(this is the same day as the movie incident) I went to get boxes with my step mom. I left with $60 dollars, and came back with $33. I bought stuff I needed eventually later on, but didn't plan to get. And stuff I wont even use prolly! So now, the total is at the $150 range.

Oh trust me, I could have spent way more than that in one day, but I have a mission trip in July, and I literally gave my aunt $250 to hold on to just for that, so I would not spend it. Because I would have had I had the opportunity. Reguardless of what I was saving it for.

Well, just pray for me, and anyone know how to manage money?

Just curious. Really. Not desperate!
Well, yes, desperate.

God Bless
Lnrobar

Administrator
Staff Member
BROTHERSINARMST4G said:
I will pray for you . But not how you think I will . Instead of praying for you to stop having a blast at the mall . I will pray that God sends a very rich man into you're life !!!! lol ! :love: :boy_hug: Mike

LOL Classic. Lnrobar, its not me so stop looking :p LOL

Let me tell you a little about me. You want compulsive shopper? Sure. I'll beat your record for a year in a single day, watch this:

June expenditure:
$4,000 laptop
$50 average a month on "energy drinks" while I work out at the gym
$200 average a month for dining out
$125 gas (you know, benzine)
$150 vitamins/supplements
and of course joyfully giving to those in need, how can we all shop til we drop without tithing to GOD by sharing with the poor, hungry and homeless children worldwide? This is VERY important. Share your love with others in giving gifts

Ok, 3 more weeks left for June. How about May?

$180 shirt / pants for niece's Christening
$300 dining out
$50 energy drinks
$125 gas average
$50 cell phone

I have no idea how I'm still wearning clothes but praise Jesus. I'm sure GOD sighs (humoursly speaking) because of the way I spending money. I'm sure I missed a lot from the list, its 3:45am here anyway so time for bed (amen, still got my bed!)

God bless

Last edited by a moderator:
Inrobar,a couple of practical tips.For years i have been terrible with money but this has slowly helped me:

Have 2 bank accounts,1 for saving and 1 with an atm card.
Make sure the saving account has a withdrawing period(ie 3 days)by the time the money is ready the compulsion to buy has often gone.
Budget yourself everytime you go out.
If you think 25 bucks is going to be enough for what you need just take 25 bucks and also leave your atm card at home.
DONT EVER GET A CREDIT CARD!
I got my self in a whole heap of trouble with the plastic,please if you ignore the rest of my advice just take this on board.
CREDIT IS BAD!
If you cant afford it with cash you cant afford it full stop!

Its miserable being broke and miserable being in debt i hope this has helped a little.

Really excellent advice Sparky, for any of us.

And the mental part is just to try and think about an item while standing at the scene. Is that what you REALLY want or need? Once you come under control you can still enjoy some shopping. The word of course is control Because it is true that no matter what the world says, debt and out of control spending is the pits!

But I do love the idea of a RICH HUSBAND!

A great day to you all.

And blessings.......

Chad said:
LOL Classic. Lnrobar, its not me so stop looking :p LOL

Let me tell you a little about me. You want compulsive shopper? Sure. I'll beat your record for a year in a single day, watch this:

June expenditure:
$4,000 laptop
$50 average a month on "energy drinks" while I work out at the gym
$200 average a month for dining out
$125 gas (you know, benzine)
$150 vitamins/supplements
and of course joyfully giving to those in need, how can we all shop til we drop without tithing to GOD by sharing with the poor, hungry and homeless children worldwide? This is VERY important. Share your love with others in giving gifts

Ok, 3 more weeks left for June. How about May?

$180 shirt / pants for niece's Christening
$300 dining out
$50 energy drinks
$125 gas average
$50 cell phone

I have no idea how I'm still wearning clothes but praise Jesus. I'm sure GOD sighs (humoursly speaking) because of the way I spending money. I'm sure I missed a lot from the list, its 3:45am here anyway so time for bed (amen, still got my bed!)

God bless

Okay mister! Your situation does not count! You actually use that stuff for something. Well, it's put into use. And what kind of resturants do you visit anyway? $300 for dining out? Puh-lease! That could buy me about 180 pairs of flip-flops, and dinner for a whole week! "Dining Out". Umm, yes but like I said, your situation is different. You put your money towards things you use and need. (Laptop, energy drinks). I bought a pair of flip-flops last week, and I wore them for like two minutes to walk out to the pool, then I never wore them since! I don't like the way they feel, but I'm gonna keep them cause they are cute, and I might wear them one day when I want to humor myself. I don't know, I'm starting to think that when I have to start paying for my own things (Gasoline, insurance, cell phone, shoes, clothes) things will change. Funny I never thought of it this way before. But see, I am the baby of the family, and I am the only girl, and so my momma and step-dad pay for everything. Only not my cell, cause my nana pays for that. And they hand me money, but I will be 18 in 99 more days, and I know the money flow will stop. So maybe I will change. I hope!

Oh, and thank you to everyone who responded! I love the idea sparky. I tried getting a savings account, and the day after I opened it, I closed it because I couldn't withdraw until the next business day. Yea, I was planning on shopping, but I couldn't. I got to the next business day though!

God Bless
Lnrobar

Umm, whats a prospect? A spender? Cause that is me. I am a spender!!!!!

Well, things will change. I hope. Yea prolly! Cause I will be making my own money now that I got this job, and I will have to spend it on things I need. Man! This stinks!

I had the same problem but luckily I got out of it. Coming from a prety well off family I could just spend all my allowance and ask for more money when I really needed it but one day I saw how I was misusing my money. See being a servent of God I realised theat the money wasn't mine but Gods. If he can't trust you with 10 how He trust you with millions?

You might need to change your perspective on the money in your hands. The more you invest in Gods work the more he gives back and the more you should give back.

Next time you want to but another pair of flip flops think about the money and think if there is a possibility that God had a beter purpose for that money like a ministery or to feed a child who had never eaten anything clean in his life?

You were born to bring God's purpose to earth and to Glorify Him.

That is something that helped me to give more and to start saving for God's cause. Yes he will provide for all your needs and desires you just have to become least and put His amazing cause first.

If you do this He will bless you more than you can imagine.

Like I had been saving because I am going to America later this month and I wanted to buy a guitar there for my collection when God tolm me to give 500 to the church and 1000 to one in and one out ministeries. I did so and a week later went on holiday with my parents who bought me everything I wnted!! I got 5400 worth back in items and God blessed all my relationships amazingly!

Good one Glory! Tee hee hee! I love wal-mart! They have cheap'o flip-flops! Alicia, I never thought of it that way before. Now I feel kind of bad!

Caesar`s brother (Chad) then decreed, I can not marry you thou fair lady
Inrobar, for the whole kingdom would crumble at the multitude of thy expenditures!

You will figure it out sister, I dont know any
younger people for whom it never took some time
to get their priorities down pat when it came to finances.
I do know older people that younger people could teach
some priority lessons too tho lol
You are concerned about pleasing God, that says your hearts
in the right place! :love:

We get it right!

I am so guilty of spendign too much money. I am trying now to get my finances together and working on figuring out how to manage money. I now that it akes time and that we can get our finances together. Remember, "I can do all things through christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13!

"Crown Financial Ministries" is a good source for Christian stewardship information. They also have a radio broadcast.

The Bible has much on a Christian's finances!

Last edited:
Lnrobar,
You are cracking me up!! I too, was like you. Oh, the flip flops...they make my heart beat a little faster. And up until I got married (at 20!) I had over 30 pairs of shoes at all times. Being cute was really important. But in all seriousness, I started feeling like I needed to shop all the time.

Have you ever seen Veggie Tales, Madame Blueberry? Okay, if not, she is a giant blueberry that likes to shop at "stuffmart" She buys so much stuff her house collapses and she learns that only God can fill your "stuff desire" Sounds crazy, but it's really funny :)

Well, I knew my stuff-omoter was broken so I looked up scripture and began praying about contentment. Here are the verses: (Beware, they are a little convicting!!)

Eccl. 5:10-18
Phil. 4:11-12
1Tim 6:6
Heb 13:5

Being content with what you have and saying no to that little voice that says, YES, buy it!! Is the difference. Well, anyway, 8 years later, now I buy stuff for my kids b/c Old Navy has way cute kids clothes, so I'm sure you'll grow out of it!

As for ideas, set your self an allowance to just spend on going out, put away the rest and then decide you will buy one thing you want at a time. Good luck

Oh that will be hard. I do not know what I could do to stop the flip-flops but I am trying to slow things down. I already have WAY more than 30 pairs of shoes. But I've always been like that ever since I was little. But that is ok, I think (HOPE) it will change.

I will pray for your heart to befilled with the temperance of the Holy Spirit.

I will pray for your heart to befilled with the temperance of the Holy Spirit. :thumbs_up

And I only ask that you do the same for me. :boy_hug:

And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful. Mark 4:19

And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. 1 Corinthians 9:25

But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. 1Tim. 6:9

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. John 2:16

Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. James 4:3

In the :love: of Christ JESUS, Our LORD and Savior, Yeshua :boy_hug:

lnrobar said:
I need some advice and your prayers. I am a girl and I like to shop. Ok, I LOVE to shop. Well, I got quite a bit of money for my graduation, and I have spent the biggest portion of it. Now, my mom told me to spend it on what I wanted, but I went to see the movie "Madagascar" (By the way was awesome, and I'd see it again in a heartbeat!) and I bought the ticket, and by the end of the night, I ended up spending over $40 dollars. I had already been to the mall once that day and spent over $60. So in total including food throughout the day, I spent about $120 or $130 dollars. And I was only going for a movie. When it comes to flip flops and purses, I am the queen. Let me tell you! And I had to stop in Bath and Body works, and left with more than what I went in for. There was a purse for $36 dollars, and I have been waiting to get this purse for about three months, and I could get it for $20 if I bought $20 in merchandise. So I couldn't pass it up.

I am a compulsive shopper! I need help. I fear that when I fly away from the coupe, I wont last, and I want to get independant. I really do. But I know this is a very weird and off topic thread, but I need your prayers that I can obstain from shopping.

Oh, and if anyone is out there like me, and can manage their money, please tell me how! PLEASE!!!!!!!! I'm begging you!
I would appreciate it.

God Bless
Lnrobar

Last edited:
I am not sure why this seems so funny to so many people? Stewardship is very important. Our Sister is asking for help, and most are making jokes, how is this supposed to help her?

Here is a quote form the Prophet Isaiah 55:2
Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
and your labor for that which does not satisfy?

Hope this is helpful,
Peace be with you,
John.