• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

I feel like I have to be perfect

Hi,

I was hoping one of you nice people could help me put this feeling behind me. I honestly do feel like I'm saved, but whenever someone ask are you 100% sure I always second guess it and that is because I am always feeling like I have to be so close to perfect. ..And I understand that no one is without sin or perfect but Jesus but I still feel like I'm never doing enough. For instance, when I get something that I don't need like a pair of earrings or a shirt or a candy bar I just feel like I don't need this and other's who are worst off, poor, starving people in other countries could be benefitting from it more. I just have this feeling of guilt whenever I get anything other than my basic necessities. I also feel the same way with my time. I feel guilty whenever I do something other than going to church, listening to christian music, reading my bible ect. ect. And the extra activities that I do is not wrong or sinful in nature they just do not necessarily glorify God. Like when I play cards, or watch a movie ect. ect. Now I KNOW I have a LOT of growing to do and I have come a looooong way but, I just have this constant feeling of guilt and what I do is not enough. And due to these feelings, I sometimes have tiny doubts of my salvation. What must I do ..what am I doing wrong. Any feedback would be great ...Thanks!!!!

Perfection is something many strive for, but always seem to come up short because of the truth of Romans 3:23, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." As you said, "...no one is without sin or perfect but Jesus..." In our flesh, no one is nor will ever be without feeling guilt/guilty for many things we do or do not do. Our feelings cannot be trusted for they change so much, but JESUS is unchangeable. Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever."

The TRUTH of GOD'S word can be trusted because it tells us of HIS SON,
JESUS CHRIST being "the truth" in John 14:6, "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." With our "feelings" we try to reason within ourselves, but our faith can be based upon the fact that we have an unchangeable LORD and SAVIOR and we have accepted HIS promise of eternal life.

Many times we beat ourselves to death "trying" to live up to what we have heard taught by Christian men and women whom we respect and whom we think have a great/stronger relationship with GOD. We tend to be "people watchers/pleasers" and try to base our beliefs on man's standards and not the WORD of GOD.

Common sense would tell us that we could never do enough to please GOD nor repay HIM for what HE has done for/in us, but we look for extra things to do in attempt to boost our feelings or should I say boost our pride? JESUS
asked nothing of us, but to believe in HIM...trust HIM as our personal Savior and HE would do the living in/with/through us for eternity. HE is our LIFE. Colossians 3:4, "When Christ, who is our life, shall appear; then shall ye also appear with him in glory." When we concentrate on what we think we should do, we are taking our eyes off what JESUS has already done.

Salvation is a done deal, never to be repeated in our lives...if we believe and trust in what JESUS did for us on the cross at Calvary, then we can be assured of salvation. When JESUS spoke the words, "...It is finished:..." from the cross, everything was completed and perfected that HE was to accomplish on earth for mankind. The LORD JESUS is no promise breaker...HE doesn't promise us a gift, give it to us, then take it back; instead the gift of eternal life was purchased with HIS precious blood with no cost to us, but cost GOD, the life of HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON.

May I suggest a book for you to get and read entitled, "Tired of Trying to Measure Up". I cannot remember the author, but I'm sure you can find it or have it ordered through any Christian bookstore. May GOD bless you.

Last edited:
Administrator
Staff Member
Hi blssdinthecity God bless you :)

I used to get these feelings and sometimes still do. For one generally it is the devil trying to discourage you and bring your self esteem down. Don't fall for it. GOD wants you to be happy and enjoy life without a doubt about it. If it weren't so then Jesus' death / resurrection was a lie, but that is not true of course.

Jesus did not only to provide salvation eternally but peace while on earth as well.

Salvation is a GIFT from God. Once you have asked for it, the Holly Spirit indwells in you forever, and it's impossible to loose your "saved" status. The Devil will always sit on your shoulder and try to convince you the opposite. But, it is written in Scripture that Jesus himself says he never looses anyone who belongs to his flock. After all, its not what you do, whether good or bad, its what Jesus our Lord has ALREADY DONE FOR US. Since your confused, I recommend listening to this awesome show: Biblelineministries.org - just click on the 'globe' on the homepage to listen to how the the love of Jesus is explained, and how you should enjoy your life with a varied of activities. You can even call into the show and ask a question anytime when its on, EST 10am to 11am. Good luck, God Bless : ) ....Jericho 42.

dear brother,
I have to tell you that you are a wonderful brotherand without doubt God would grant you the desire of your heart inJesus name. Amen.As to what to do to see yourself free, the following is my advice:read the book of james 4:5-10Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
5 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?
6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.
10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.
God said if ye be willing and obedient ye shall eat the good of the land. God will make you totally pure and sin free in Jesus name amen.

Blssd,

I understand your predicament, I think nearly all of us have had to fight satan on this one. Just remember:If you have ever truly given yourself to Jesus, you are his and He is yours. The devil loves to get you focused on your works (which is living under the Law). He also likes to put guilt on you at any time. You said you have grown so that is a good thing. Just remember the old you died on the cross with Jesus. Now the resurrected Lord lives in you literally. Tell him at all times how you feel. You will grow much more. Rest in him.

Jeff :love:

hi there skyscraper :D. . .

How about answering this to yourself:

If I was to die today. . .where would I go??

If I was to die today . .. and stand before the Great Almighty God . . .and he would ask me: Blessedinthecity, why should I let you into my heaven? What would you say?

AND:

When was the day I was saved?

If you want to talk about these questions and answers. ..please pm me and we meet ok??

GBU :love:

nothing to wrrybout BlSSDINTHECITY

I know what your going through dont worry besides what will worrying do?answer: more harm than good.
You see thats the father's holy spirit's way of convicting you of sin(and thats a good thing because without that you may not have a concience and you would be cold hearted).
Dont let the convicting you part get you either cause what was meant by that is:the holy spirit is at work in you and teaching you .Nobody said this christian stuff was for the weak and weary or the sissy type either.Were really helpless on our own and we need forgivness alot. Get ready and brace yourself cause once you was reborn (babtised)into gods family)it gets harder but see our big brother said be of good cheer for I have overcome the world.And so must we to the best of our abbillities.In short the world hates us but it hated him(jesus)as well and were no better than him.So bring it on,Im feeling froggy are you?
Dont forget we got something the world truly does not have and thats a real purpose worth dying for.Because we'll be rewarded with everlasting life and a place in the family. So Be It x 2 (amen extreme)

Last edited: