• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

I don't get it...

How is it that the people here can tell each other that they love each other so easily?
I kind of withdrawl when someone says it to me and I'd like to know why it is so easy for most people here.
If someone can explain then maybe it'll help me.

lordsria said:
How is it that the people here can tell each other that they love each other so easily?
I kind of withdrawl when someone says it to me and I'd like to know why it is so easy for most people here.
lordsria,

Matthew 22:37 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.

It isn't easy, lordsria. We must choose to obey this command. I asked God to help me trust Him to love my brothers and sisters. After my prayer request and for many years I still carried hostility, anger, arrogance, vanity, and ego. God had to cleanse me before He could refine me. After many years it started to come from the heart. I believe many here at Talk Jesus will agree how natural it comes after the "process".

Your brother in Christ Jesus! :boy_hug: :angry: :embarasse :confused: :sleep: :girl_hug:

I love them, I really do! I love everyone around me, no matter how they treat me, no matter if I like them or not, I still love them. I know that Jesus commanded that and ever since I read it when I first found God, I have done my best to follow it.
It's just so hard for me to say it or hear it. The only people in my life who have told me they loved me has hurt me or used me or left me. I've found that actions speak louder than words, so I try to show my love in many various ways. The only people I'm comfortable saying "I love you " to are children because they know how to love unconditionally, and God, because to me, He is love.
I just don't understand how being able to say it comes so easily to the people here! I don't hear people saying it at any of the churches I have attended. Maybe that's one of the things wrong with them? Do you think that it will get easier for me over time?

lordsria said:
I love them, I really do! I love everyone around me, no matter how they treat me, no matter if I like them or not, I still love them. I know that Jesus commanded that and ever since I read it when I first found God, I have done my best to follow it.
It's just so hard for me to say it or hear it. The only people in my life who have told me they loved me has hurt me or used me or left me. I've found that actions speak louder than words, so I try to show my love in many various ways. The only people I'm comfortable saying "I love you " to are children because they know how to love unconditionally, and God, because to me, He is love.
I just don't understand how being able to say it comes so easily to the people here! I don't hear people saying it at any of the churches I have attended. Maybe that's one of the things wrong with them? Do you think that it will get easier for me over time?
....You need to change churches then the word tells us "love one another even as I have loved you"..if that aint happening that church is dryed up. Ask the Lord to lead you to where the "church" is alive and well.

I feel the love Jesus has given us so generously
through his Holy Spirit, I have a problem though
and think it is here while we are on the subject of love
that I can talk about it and ask for your views please,
I can understand what your saying lordsria so perhaps
you could tell me your thoughts on this....
one of my sons is going out with a Jehovah's Witness
she has been married twice, engaged once, and has
2 young girls, my son is also married, separted and has
2 young sons, I have a very hard time dealing with this
as their beliefs are very differant from Christian although
she calls herself one, well I have been letting him keep
her away from our home, (he lives here with us) because
his wife whom he's not yet divorced from visits us with
our 2 grandchildren weekly, and when she knew before
that this other girl was coming to our home she stopped
coming, now I prefer to have my grandsons visit so this
is the reason for keeping the J.W girl away. but something
feels wrong about it all,
I would really appreciate your input, my husband is unsaved
so his views are worldly, so I can't go by him, he told my
son to keep her away, because of our daughter in law and
grandsons.
it's an awful situation, and I do pray and leave it in God's hands
but am I being so wrong please, what do you think
cause if we love aren't we to love all religions including J.W.?

Maureen,
I'm not sure I'm the one to answer this for you.
I don't think your son should be dating seeing as he is married, whether she is JW or not.
And we are to love all people, not all religions. You don't have to love her because she's a Jehovah's Witness, but you do need to love her because she belongs to God.
If it were me, I would pray God's will over the situation. I would tell God what I didn't like about it and ask Him to help change the situation, my heart, or both.

You should post this in a thread of it's own so you can get an answer from someone who knows what to say to help you. God bless you and I'll pray for you and your family.

Love

Lordsria,
there is a love whereby a fondness for someone else is born of selfishness, in that you are loved as far as you are able to fulfill a need or desire of someone elses. When that need or desire is not met, the love withers. This is why the Lord commands us to deny ourselves. Agape love neither demands nor requires any return, but rejoices in the act of giving of itself. Such is the love of God.

Maureen,

I don't see anything wrong with loving someone who is a practicing JW. We don't have to love their religion, though. The doctrine of the JW is like the bible with a WHOLE LOT of pages missing, and a lot of words confused. I half wonder if whomever their original scribe was suffered from extreme blindness, was illiterate and dyslexic... only kidding.
I understand your dillemma, though, considering the opportunity to spend time with your grandchildren hangs in the balance. It saddens me that family can be so blasted complicated. By faith, things will work out in accordance with His Will, though. Who knows? Perhaps the Lord enlisted your son to sew some seed in this girl's life? Stranger things have happened.

lordsria said:

I have a different perspective that may be able to encourage you .... I too have difficulty with the use of the words "I love you". I don't mind people saying it ... but to be honest, I wonder how many times it is sincere. Like you I believe actions speak louder than words ... showing love is better than say it insincerely. I think it's a good thing that you are careful about how you use those words. The Bible never commands you to TELL people you love them, but does command us ACT love to eachother.

I encourage you not to feel bad or guilty because you are uncomfortable saying the words "I love you" so easily. As long as you practice love, your love is evident. You will know when it is appropriate to use the words and when it is not.

BTW ... all on the forum: pls don't take these remarks as suggesting your use of the "I love you" as insincere ... I would assume it is.

Flashpoint
you've given me hope, I thank you for that,
as for my son sewing a seed, I would doubt that
extremly, he's so far away from our Lord, I suppose
when he was going to the J.W. Hall he was hearing
about God, although they do deny the deity of Christ
and it is true what you said about 'families' although
I can't complain about my 3 sons and 1 daughter they
never gave me a days trouble, although none of them
are with the Lord, more's the pity, I'm the only one
but Jesus enables me to live my life in front of them
and I pray I show them who Jesus is by doing that.
Sometimes I feel I do so little for him, otherwise why
arent they interested, Oh well I know our Jesus knows
the situation and has it in hand, and only he knows
when it will all come about, I intend to concentrate on
my little grandchildren as they grow up so they will know
granny loves Jesus, and ask questions.
Flashpoint I know to pray about the situation over my son
but should I reach out a hand to this girl? and if so
should I politely let her know I don't appreciate her leading
my son down J.W's road as it is to a lost eternity?
I had a Christmas card and chocolate for her children
but I never gave them, it wasn't right I thought, I know
the Jesus placed it in my heart to do it, but then I don't
know what happened, I didn't go against Jesus, I wouldn't
I got a word 'not yet' so I didn't.
If my daughter in law knew this girl and her daughters were
visiting our home she would not let my grandsons visit, it's
awful I know, and not right, but they're her sons and her
decision to do what she wants about it, as she did it before
so it's awkward, I know.
Thank you very much for taking an interest, enough to reply
very much appreciated honestly.

Thank God for you, Maureen!

I love to see courage and steadfastness in others where I have little. I'm about the only member of my immediate family (Mom's side anyway) who's saved, yet I catch myself "hiding my light under a bushel(spelling? eh skip it. hehe)" when my neice and nephew are around.
I know what Paul wrote about one member of a family being a blessing to the rest by their faith... though he was writing about a believing spouse living in a family with an unbelieving spouse I think... yet, oft times I'm weak when it comes to taking action on the Word.
Praise God that you have the heart to reach out.

By us living in christ we are for christ and we become brothers and sisters. We all have our ups and downs but it comes down to it we will live in heaven and their will be no war but peace that surpass all understanding. Love easily and Love wil be given. Love others as you love yourself.

I just bought today 'The Story Keepers' its animated
Bible stories and I think it's very good for young
children, and a two gospel CD's for myself.
I don't know about being a light Flashpoint, sometimes
I feel on a very dull glow, but I do want people to
know that I belong to Jesus, I'm so very priviledged to
be forgiven, I wear my 'Jesus Saves' badge on my coat
with priviledge in the hope that someone will ask me
about him. A young lad in a pet shop said to me that
that was a great badge, I knew then he 'belonged' also.
I have a few W.W.J.D badges which I have on other coats
and have only been asked once what it mean't I get so
much joy by being asked, I just wish I could be asked
more often. Amen.
I would be interested to know what anyone does to 'show'
Jesus is Lord, please tell. I'm always looking for new ways.

I was reading through the I don't get it thread and some folks were really giving the Jehova Witness people a bad report. What beliefs or things do these people do to deserve such harsh treatment?

Maureen said:
I just bought today 'The Story Keepers' its animated
Bible stories and I think it's very good for young
children, and a two gospel CD's for myself.
I don't know about being a light Flashpoint, sometimes
I feel on a very dull glow, but I do want people to
know that I belong to Jesus, I'm so very priviledged to
be forgiven, I wear my 'Jesus Saves' badge on my coat
with priviledge in the hope that someone will ask me
about him. A young lad in a pet shop said to me that
that was a great badge, I knew then he 'belonged' also.
I have a few W.W.J.D badges which I have on other coats
and have only been asked once what it mean't I get so
much joy by being asked, I just wish I could be asked
more often. Amen.
I would be interested to know what anyone does to 'show'
Jesus is Lord, please tell. I'm always looking for new ways.

Wow Maureen, I got the Story Keepers in August! They're great and my kids just love them.
In answer to you wanting to know what people do to show that Jesus is Lord, well, it's my car. I have a big yellow cross painted on the front along with "John 3:16", two large fish, about a foot long, painted on both doors and 3 crosses on the back, right below the window (it's a hatchback). I've named it "The Jesus Mobil". I have more people comment on my car and ask what John 3:16 is than I thought ever would! I'll see if I can't post some pictures of it so you can see what I mean.
The reactions are great, but even better is getting to share my faith.
And one more perk, drivers are more curteous for some reason! lol

Administrator
Staff Member
simpleman said:
I was reading through the I don't get it thread and some folks were really giving the Jehova Witness people a bad report. What beliefs or things do these people do to deserve such harsh treatment?

1. There is one God in one person, Make Sure of All Things, p 188.
  2. There is no Trinity, Let God be True, p. 100-101; Make Sure of All Things, p.386.
  3. The Holy Spirit is a force, not alive, Reasoning from the Scriptures, 1985, pp.
    406-407.
  4. The Holy Spirit is God's impersonal active force, The Watchtower, June 1, 1952,
    p. 24.
  5. Jehovah's first creation was his 'only-begotten Son'. . . was used by Jehovah in
    creating all other things", Aid to Bible Understanding, pp. 390-391.
  6. Jesus was Michael the archangel who became a man, The Watchtower, May 15,
    1963, p. 307; The New World, 284.
  7. Jesus was only a perfect man, not God in flesh, Reasoning from the Scriptures,
    1985, pp. 306.
  8. Jesus did not rise from the dead in his physical body, Awake! July 22, 1973, p. 4.
  9. Jesus was raised "not a human creature, but a spirit." Let God be True, p. 276.
  10. Jesus did not die on a cross but on a stake, Reasoning from the Scriptures, 1985,
    pp. 89-90.
  11. Jesus returned to earth, invisibly, in 1914, The Truth Shall Make You Free, p. 300.
  12. Jesus' ransom sacrifice did not include Adam, Let God be True, p. 119.
  13. Their church is the self-proclaimed prophet of God, The Watchtower, April 1,
    1972, p. 197.
  14. They claim to be the only channel of God's truth, The Watchtower, Feb. 15,
    1981, p. 19.
  15. Only their church members will be saved, The Watchtower, Feb, 15, 1979, p. 30.
  16. Good works are necessary for salvation, Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 1,
    pp. 150, 152
  17. The soul ceases to exist after death, Let God be True, p. 59, 60, 67.
  18. There is no hell of fire where the wicked are punished, Let God be True, p. 79, 80.
  19. Only 144,000 Jehovah's Witness go to heaven, Reasoning from the Scriptures,
    1985, pp. 166-167, 361; Let God be True, p. 121.
  20. Only the 144,000 Jehovah's Witness are born again. Reasoning from the
    Scriptures, 1985, p. 76.; Watchtower 11/15/54, p. 681.
  21. Only the 144,000 may take communion,
  22. Blood transfusions are a sin, Reasoning from the Scriptures, 1985, pp. 72-73.
  23. The Cross is a pagan symbol and should not be used, Reasoning from the
    Scriptures, 1985, pp. 90-92.
  24. Salvation is by faith and what you do, Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 1, pp.
  25. It is possible to lose your salvation, Reasoning from the Scriptures, 1985, pp.
    358-359.
  26. The universe is billions of years old, Your will Be Done on Earth, p. 43.
  27. Each of the 6 creative days of God in Genesis 1, was 7000 years long.
    Therefore, Man was created toward the end of 42,000 years of earth's
    preparation, Let God be True, p. 168.
  28. They also refuse to vote, salute the flag, sing the "Star Spangled Banner," or
    celebrate Christmas or birthdays. They are not allowed to serve in the armed
    forces.
  29. Satan was entrusted with the obligation and charged with the duty of
    overseeing the creation of the earth, Children, p 55

For Maureen

Maureen, We are to love one another not the other religions. I am myself separated and I think you are right in having the JW girl stay away. Your sons marriage isn't over yet and even when it is he needs to have time to adjust to that. It is more important for him to spend time with his sons. I also believe they need your influence. Especially because of your faith. I hope that helped.

Maureen,

It's hard when your family makes unfortunate decisions as your son is doing with the JW woman. I've had a similar problem where my son actuall married an alcohaulic woman. She has 3 children and he has 2. His 2 have been severely traumatized by the situation to the extent that they lived with my wife and me for 2 1/2 years. When it appeared that she was over it, the children moved back with them and she started drinking again. It's a dilema... we want to love her and treat her right, but at the same time can't see the children suffer. We have determined to take the approach that the children need to be protected...

Is there a way you can do it both ways .... have daughter in law come over with the grandchildren at a time when your son and his JW girlfriend are not there. And have them over when your daughter in law is not there???

I have not read any responses except for the thread it's self. I like to put in my opinion before I read something that will alter it.
In my opinion, people say "I Love You" so easily because they want to feel that sense of knowing. You know what I mean? When someone says it, they feel that assurance from the other person when they say it. If it is said to a person, they feel loved, and then in return feel obligated to say it back.
I really have no experience in this field because I have never had a relationship with anyone any further than friends. But it is weird. Friends do it too. Especially girls. :confused:
Before I was saved my best friend Toshia and I used to say it to each other all the time. Sometimes I wouldn't feel comfortable saying it to her, so when she said it I would laught and say "Ha sure you do!" as a cover up. Now that I am saved, we do not talk as often, and she still says it, and it's not that I don't love her, I just don't feel closeness as friends as I used to. I love her soul with all mine, but it's something I don't like saying unless I mean it.
The only people I say "I love you" to is my Nana, my Granny and my spiritual mother Lola!
My nieces and nephews of course, but they usually get to me first!
I love all my family, but I do not tell them I love them. I should because we aren't promised tomorrow, but it's something I have never done. I had to do a double take on my mom on my graduation day cause she said it. I don't tell my mom "I love you" and I don't tell my dad "I love you."
But I do love them. I have always been taught to show love to family in other ways. Like gifts with pretty cards.
My mom has raised me like that. She is akward about mushy stuff, but my Nana is not and that's why I've always said it to her.

WE SHARE THE SPIRIT of LOVE That the LORD gives us.

WE SHARE THE SPIRIT of LOVE That the LORD gives us.

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2Tim.1:7

We LOVE you, lordsria, don't have a spirit of suspicion in the case of true children of God.

Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Phill. 2:3

lordsria said: