• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Husbands and Wives - Ephesians 5:22-23

If we are Christians, we must show it in all the relations of life: business, social and domestic. The relation between husband and wife is here represented as being a counterpart of the relation between Christ and the Church - Ephesians 5:25, 32.

The exhortation is to mutual love and devotion, and in no way suggests that a man has a right to make a slave of his wife. Each is dependent on the other, because of the different functions that each has in human society. Each, in serving the other, best serves self - Ephesians 5:28. "He that loves his wife loves himself": husbands take note.:boy_hug: :girl_hug:

God Bless,

Dan

You know it really takes a Christian man, walking with the Lord daily, to be the head of the household. To be an honorable husband, he must know how to be one. And what better way to know is this description! It is sad how many men do not know how to love- themselves as a child of God or their wives.
I know I try to tell my husband that I would rather he be walking with our Lord than all the gold or money in the world. Please pray that he is moved by the Holy Spirit and becomes the true head of our home.

Hello
Well that's so beautiful this relationship between man and woman but so sad that many mwn didnt understand that power of love that God has given them and they dont know how to treat a woman and most of the time women are treated like strangers, under strict control but that not the way God wanted this as he says to be one and as one there's a lot of complicity ! We do have to pray so that there can be more solid and strong relationship and understanding partners in marriage

If I'm not mistaken that very same passage also says that husbands are to love their wives as Christ loved the church. Last time I looked, that was a whole lot of loving going on there. And there was no bondage or binding or any of the other "stuff" we see so much of, even in "christian" marriages.

theajkman

I wish we lived in a world filled of goodness and only goodness :)

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken that very same passage also says that husbands are to love their wives as Christ loved the church. Last time I looked, that was a whole lot of loving going on there. And there was no bondage or binding or any of the other "stuff" we see so much of, even in "christian" marriages.

theajkman

You are so right! It is a wonderful scripture and so oft times overlooked.

"For husbands, this means love your wives, just as Christ loved the church. He gave up his life for her to make her holy and clean, washed by the cleansing of God’s word. He did this to present her to himself as a glorious church without a spot or wrinkle or any other blemish. Instead, she will be holy and without fault. In the same way, husbands ought to love their wives as they love their own bodies. For a man who loves his wife actually shows love for himself. No one hates his own body but feeds and cares for it, just as Christ cares for the church. And we are members of his body. As the Scriptures say, “A man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.” This is a great mystery, but it is an illustration of the way Christ and the church are one. "

Ephesians 5:25-32 (New Living Translation)

Seeing these verses you have posted, Dunkedinfire, makes me feel happy.
Why am I so happy? Well, I'll tell you the answer. I've been married nearly 3 years (we are both older people), and it seems that my marriage is turning into something that Eph. 5:22-23 describes! The Lord truly does intervene--if we let Him! It has to come from both sides, the husband and the wife....yowsa!

It wasn't always this way. However, at the moment, prayers are being answered at a phenomenal rate!:love: Life won't be and never has been perfect, of course, but as christians who are married we should be reaching for perfection, yes, at least reaching!

Oh, how I praise God for my christian husband! Oh, what a blessing he has become. When he treats me so kindly, all I desire to do is just bless the socks off of him. Again, I just want to praise God for this.

Last edited:
glad to hear that dreamer. I'm still learning and striving to get to that kinda place that the scriptures speak of.And with my wife playing her part so well, I've mellowed quite a bit and am a lot easier to be around these days ;) It is scriptures like that that have inspired me to be the best husband that I can be.

TheAJKMan

I needed to re-read my post this morning. Problems re-occur. Words are said. Hearts are tossed aside. Depression and discouragement comes. Promises are broken.

Oh, what webs we weave.

God, only God can make marriage work. Marriage is honorable before God.