• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Humour in the Bible

Administrator
Staff Member
For all who read this thread, reply with one verse that reflects GOD's humour in Scripture :)

Mine is the talking donkey (I can't but help to always think of the donkey from Shrek movie lol)

Numbers 22:30

30 The donkey said to Balaam, "Am I not your own donkey, which you have always ridden, to this day? Have I been in the habit of doing this to you?"
"No," he said.

Of course GOD was actually angry at Balaam, not joking. But I think in a way you can see some humour in a talking donkey. If a little girl wants a pony, a big grown man like me wants a talking donkey :) :shade:

Registered Member
Jesus is Lord!

"Salt is good; but if the salt has lost its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is neither fit for the land nor for the dunghill, but men throw it out. He who has ears to hear, let him hear" (Luke 14:35, NKJ)!

I think the phrase underlined in Luke 14:35 noted above is humorous; however, the subject is very serious. Jesus warned the people against apostasy, for that would make them utterly useless.

Your Sister in Christ,
Dr. Bon Vie

Last edited:
Laugh with God and be renewed and reasured.

Laugh with God and be renewed and reasured.

Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us. He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision. Psalms 2:3-4

Wait on the LORD, I say Wait on the LORD and he will Strengthen you.

In :love: of JESUS the Christ, Our LORD.
:love: Yeshua
:boy_hug:

Not exactly scripture but i find a lot of humour in Gods creation.If you ever see puppies or kittens at play you cant help but laugh.And as for the duck-billed platypus......

My thought is that if God is our Father & we his children :shade:

he loves to play with us, tiggle us & dance with us.

Because he is more real than us, & he sent Jesus so that we might have

life
to the full..

I think I would have laughed at those of Genesis 11, who planned to build a city and a tower to heaven and the LORD confused their language so they could no longer understand one another...Oh, what babbling!!!

Or when Lot's wife turned to a pillar of salt...a great salt lick for the animals, huh?

Or at Sarai's jealousy of her handmaid, Hagar, when she had conceived a child of Abram and it was Sarai's idea to give her unto Abram to help God's promise to be fufilled faster...or so she thought.

Or at Sarah eavesdroping, from inside the tent, on the conversation of Abraham and the three men about Abraham's time of life being returned and her manner of women being returned[and she laughed]...they would have sexual pleasure at their ages and the "promised son, Isaac" would be conceived during that union...a miracle indeed

At the sight of Joshua and the people marching, quietly, around the walls of Jericho once a day for six days, then seven times on the seventh day with the priests blowing their trumpets, as they marched around...after each round they would return to continue what they were doing in the camp...at the dawn of another day, they would begin again. Seven times on the seventh day?...they may have questioned the sanity of such a thing and got lots of exercise[walking, you know, doctor's orders], but then after seven rounds, still had the energy to utterlly destroy all that was inside the city.

And Boaz, after falling in love with Ruth, realizing that there was another kinsman who could claim her, yet he did the right thing by going to the kinsman and laying the situation out before the "unknowing kinsman" with hope in his heart that the kinsman would not redeem Ruth and he could have her...comfirmed by exchanging a shoe.

Hannah being thought of as "drunken" by Eli, the priest, as she prayed for a child...the thoughts of man are determined from/by what they see.

The sight of David with Saul's armour on...he was still young, small and unfamiliar with battle armour... He had always depended upon God's protection and he would continue to do so.

Samson teasing Delilah about wherein his strength came from...could you imagine it being something as simple as not having his hair cut.

Solomon, with ALL his wives and concubines...imagine the conflict among the women...it's my turn; NO, IT'S MINE!!!

Nehemiah and the men upon the walls of Jerusalem, during the time of rebuilding the city, with a weapon in one hand, a tool in one hand, and a sword strapped to their sides...kinda weighted down, but faithful to/for their purpose.

Dogs eating wicked Jezebel, leaving only her hands and feet...wonder if the dogs had any digestive problems afterward?

The thought of Daniel, maybe using one of the lions for a pillow because their mouths would not work right...God had shut the mouths of the lions.

As Chad mentioned, Balaam's donkey talking to him...out of the mouth of babes..no "a donkey"?

Zacchaeus, in the sycamore tree.....the four men taking the roof off a house to get their friend to Jesus[great love/concern for a friend]...the surprise and condemnation of the Pharisees/Saducees, as Jesus astounded them by going against what they held on to as tradition/traditional religious beliefs.....Jesus and the discilpes going through a cornfield plucking off ears of corn and eating them[humans think corn has to be cooked before eating, did Jesus not know this?]...When Jairus' daughter was raised from the dead and Jesus commanded them to give her "meat"[I know this just means to give her something to eat, but as my SS teacher brought this out one Sunday, when a person has been sick for a while and hasn't eaten, the normal procedure is to give liquids, but here it says "meat".].....the whole herd of swine running violently down a hill to drown themselves because the demons had entered into them[they can stand the muck, mud, and mire..but not demons]

Really,SO MANY great things that can/will bring a smile or laughter as you read. There is no doubt; however, that GOD has a sense of humor!!!

Last edited:
Hi Chad

I immediately thought of the donkey rebuking Baalam also . But I heard a person say before --
" If you dont think God has a sense of humour, just look in the mirror!! " :eek:mg:

Administrator
Staff Member
LOL Gloria that's classic. I never heard that before (or perhaps my memory is laughable) :)

Prov 11:22
22 Like a gold ring in a pig's snout
is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.
NIV

Now that is funny ! And those women think they look hot ! Mike