• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Humility and Unity

Staff Member
Behold, how good and how pleasant [it is] For brethren to dwell together in unity! Psalm 133:1

In the middle of his letter to the Ephesians church, Paul told them to be humble and diligent to preserve their unity (Ephesians 4:2-3). Unity among Christians is based on Christ like humility (Philippians 2:1-11).

When Christians bicker, what's the problem? Pride. One of the expressions of pride is contempt. "I'm right. You're wrong." Such men pour out their contempt on others.

Respect is the opposite of contempt. Respect embraces the truth that everyone is made in the image of God. Brothers in Christ are to be loved and respected. And your church's leaders deserve the highest respect. Great authority comes from great humility.

Another expression of pride is being judgmental and overly critical, as if you somehow know the motives in someone else's heart. Being nonjudgmental means you assume the best about the other person.

What is the difference between criticism and exhortation? When you speak into difficult situations, you restore others gently (Galatians 6:1-5). Exhortation comes from a heart of love with a desire to help the other person and walk alongside them awhile.

Humility is healing. It alone releases the power and blessing of God among believers.

Prayer: Lord, I want unity. You have commanded me to humble myself before You. I do so now.