• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

How to tithe when you're flat broke?

Loyal
I kind of get it - I just don't know where the whole 10% came from?

Mal 3:8; “Will a man rob God? Yet you are robbing Me! But you say, ‘How have we robbed You?’ In tithes and offerings.
Mal 3:9; You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing Me, the whole nation of you!
Mal 3:10; Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be [p]food in My house, and test Me now in this,” says the Lord of hosts, “if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.
Mal 3:11; Then I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it will not destroy the fruits of the ground; nor will your vine in the field cast its grapes,” says the Lord of hosts.
Mal 3:12; “All the nations will call you blessed, for you shall be a delightful land,” says the Lord of hosts.

Heb 7:4; Now observe how great this man was to whom Abraham, the patriarch, gave a tenth of the choicest spoils.
Heb 7:5; And those indeed of the sons of Levi who receive the priest’s office have commandment in the Law to collect
a tenth from the people, that is, from their brethren, although these are descended from Abraham.
Heb 7:6; But the one whose genealogy is not traced from them collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed
the one who had the promises.
Heb 7:7; But without any dispute the lesser is blessed by the greater.
Heb 7:8; In this case mortal men receive tithes, but in that case one receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he
lives on.
Heb 7:9; And, so to speak, through Abraham even Levi, who received tithes, paid tithes,
Heb 7:10; for he was still in the loins of his father when Melchizedek met him.

( see Gen 14:18-21; in particular Gen 14:20; )

Active
Luke 21:1; And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury.
Luke 21:2; And He saw a poor widow putting in two small copper coins.
Luke 21:3; And He said, “Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all of them;
Luke 21:4; for they all out of their surplus put into the offering; but she out of her poverty put in all that she had to live on.”
(Also see Mark 12:41-44; )
He saw an obedient Jew. You cannot use this with us. God already has 100% of us. 100% of our income and all we have is His.

By posting the scripture you are, you are placing Christians in an awkward position. One where we tempt God, demand from God. We are not under the old covenant. What you are proposing is on par with not taking medicine for sickness. It is fine for a Jew under the old covenant. Not us. A Jew faithfully giving 10% when they have nothing = good. A Christian when they have nothing = stupid / testing / tempting God. It was fine for a Jew to test God. Not a Christian. We know that the money we have is God given. We don't give 10% away and demand tenfold.

Loyal
By posting the scripture you are, you are placing Christians in an awkward position. One where we tempt God, demand from God. We are not under the old covenant.

Perhaps you are right. But I believe the story of the widows offering wasn't really a condemnation
of the rich, nearly so much as it was a praise for the poor. I didn't feel like Jesus was condemning those
only gave a part of what they had, nearly as much as He was praising the woman who gave all that she had.

The point I was trying to make (the OP states tithing when you are broke)
was even giving a little is better than none at all. I don't get too hung up on the 10 percent.

Perhaps it was bad timing, being next to my post about the 10 percent. The only reason I
brought that up, was that someone asked "where did the 10 percent come from?"
But you are correct, that was the Old testament.

Active
For me, Tithing is giving to them that don't have as much as I do. If I give to my church or pay for a meal for someone, pay the bill at a check out lane - It's done because I LOVE JESUS! I don't believe that it matters to WHO or WHERE I give. My situation is still the same. I am still without work but I have faith that God will open the right door for me. I'm not stressing.

What bothers me about the pastor at my church is he's quick to ask & hardly ever gives & when he does give it's to other pastors. For instance my pastor asked me if I would make & put a design on a couple T-shirts that he was doing a thing for in California. I said sure no problem if I have the material. When he asked me how much the material cost & I told him he then said he wasn't trying to spend any money. OK fine, That was February 7th. I made a way to make the design for the shirts by using my own material that was stock for a potential paying customer. I gave him the shirts & didn't get a dime. Then came February 14th - At church he had three pastors from others churches come & maybe speak & hang out. Before church was over he handed them each an envelope with at least $50.00 in them so they could "take their wives out for a Valentines dinner". I was instantly taken back. He didn't care & out right said he was not trying to spend any money but freely hands other pastors that have their own churches money so they can take their wives out???? How is that right?? What is really going on here???

My pastor KNOWS I have been searching for a job like it's a full time job (it has been a full time job looking for work I will say that much). My pastor KNOWS I don't have any income & has for a while now. He KNOWS I'm struggling beyond struggle. He KNOWS my lights are going to be shut off for non-payment & yet doesn't even bother to offer a single penny but let Bible study & Sunday come around - That tithe tray is passed around like a Frisbee. He uses the classic saying "Tithe & God will bless you"... I would have to rob a bank in order to tithe at this point in time. PRAISE GOD I get a per-capita for being a Tribal member. It's not much but it has kept this roof over my head. PRAISE GOD!!!

I am beginning to think that my pastor is out to look good to other pastors. I've only been going to this church for about 5 months now & when I have had questions he is always 'busy'. When I wanted some counseling he never replied to my email. But when he needed them T-Shirts he was calling & texting like no other. I call a spade a spade & I always will. Our church is not doing good. Its a decent sized building but we only have 7 or 8 members. MANY people USED to be members but have all faded away & I am beginning to think that he is the reason why that is. I always go out of my way to see the best in people but when the bad of the person shines brighter than the good it's evident that they are not all that great. I am learning that just because someone is a pastor it doesn't make them Godly.

What's your take?

Active
For me, Tithing is giving to them that don't have as much as I do. If I give to my church or pay for a meal for someone, pay the bill at a check out lane - It's done because I LOVE JESUS! I don't believe that it matters to WHO or WHERE I give. My situation is still the same. I am still without work but I have faith that God will open the right door for me. I'm not stressing.

What bothers me about the pastor at my church is he's quick to ask & hardly ever gives & when he does give it's to other pastors. For instance my pastor asked me if I would make & put a design on a couple T-shirts that he was doing a thing for in California. I said sure no problem if I have the material. When he asked me how much the material cost & I told him he then said he wasn't trying to spend any money. OK fine, That was February 7th. I made a way to make the design for the shirts by using my own material that was stock for a potential paying customer. I gave him the shirts & didn't get a dime. Then came February 14th - At church he had three pastors from others churches come & maybe speak & hang out. Before church was over he handed them each an envelope with at least $50.00 in them so they could "take their wives out for a Valentines dinner". I was instantly taken back. He didn't care & out right said he was not trying to spend any money but freely hands other pastors that have their own churches money so they can take their wives out???? How is that right?? What is really going on here???

My pastor KNOWS I have been searching for a job like it's a full time job (it has been a full time job looking for work I will say that much). My pastor KNOWS I don't have any income & has for a while now. He KNOWS I'm struggling beyond struggle. He KNOWS my lights are going to be shut off for non-payment & yet doesn't even bother to offer a single penny but let Bible study & Sunday come around - That tithe tray is passed around like a Frisbee. He uses the classic saying "Tithe & God will bless you"... I would have to rob a bank in order to tithe at this point in time. PRAISE GOD I get a per-capita for being a Tribal member. It's not much but it has kept this roof over my head. PRAISE GOD!!!

I am beginning to think that my pastor is out to look good to other pastors. I've only been going to this church for about 5 months now & when I have had questions he is always 'busy'. When I wanted some counseling he never replied to my email. But when he needed them T-Shirts he was calling & texting like no other. I call a spade a spade & I always will. Our church is not doing good. Its a decent sized building but we only have 7 or 8 members. MANY people USED to be members but have all faded away & I am beginning to think that he is the reason why that is. I always go out of my way to see the best in people but when the bad of the person shines brighter than the good it's evident that they are not all that great. I am learning that just because someone is a pastor it doesn't make them Godly.

What's your take?
Your pastor is going through hard times. He can be forgiven for trying to look good with others. As for you, don't give material away that you need for your business. Your heart is right but it is naivety.

God does add to church. Then people also gather to preachers that tickle their ears. Either way no excuse for 8 members. I would say he does need to examine himself and his calling.

Praying for work for you!

Loyal
I attend a very small church. We have roughly 8 give or take 3 people that attend & I know the bills come in the church mailbox just as my own do. However, for the past 6 Sundays I have been hearing "tithe, give, blessings, be a blessing, it's the Lords" more than average. I am all for helping no doubt about it. God knows it, I know it & people that see me know it... but I have no money to give at this time. When I do get money (10 or 20 bucks) it goes in gas for my car & necessities like that. As of late I have been helping my pastor with web graphics, flyers & random stuff that he wants done for our church & another church in California at no cost. He feels that because I have this talent & skill I should do it for the church because I'm able without any compensation. Whenever I do not have a job I fall back on doing freelance web graphics work. If I were charging him it would be well over $400.00 worth of work had he not been my pastor & that is a very low cost for what I have done so far. My pastor has also had my fiance (who is recently out of work also) doing work for him at his rental properties & has paid him $20.00 for a days worth of work (7, 8 hours) for 4 days paying him a total of $80.00 & I just don't think that is right. The pastor has however talked to him & let him know that he doesn't want him to think he is taking advantage of him but how can he not think that? Pastor knows our situation & knows we have not got a penny to stretch... I feel it's like being kicked while you're down. I need some advice here... & I wouldn't want to ask anyone other than fellow brothers & sisters in Christ.

I have been out of real work (time clock punching job) for 2 months without a single dime. I am 2 months behind on my lot rent PRAISE GOD I own my trailer!!! My light bill is in shut off & whenever I hear the word tithe it almost sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard to my ears. I would LOVE to tithe & give my part but when someone says that tithing equals blessings or the like I almost choke. I don't give for a blessing, miracle or anything in return. I tithe to tithe. And this 10%... where does it say an amount that we are to give?

I do not want to sound like some tight wad miser that clings to money but it just seems like my church is begging. I am probably wrong but I need advice like I mentioned so if there is an elder in here I would love to hear what you think & if God gives you the words to type that will ease this for me... I have been praying really hard.

Just out of curiosity....Does this little church you attend tithe? It should.. As for you little sister...You already know that God, Jehova Jireh is our provider...Jesus is the minister of our seed...Look....
2 Corinthians 9:9-11 (KJV)
9 (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.

10 Now he that ministereth (supply's) seed to the sower (sower= you) both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)

11 Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.

Why not trust the minister of your seed to give you seed to sow? Then sow it..

Active
If one wants to hold to old testament ideas then be a Levite.
They didn't get a portion of land (which was real wealth) like the rest of the Isrealites because God said "I am your portion.
The Isrealites tithed out of the abundant wealth of their portion.
There were to be no poor among them.

If they are not letting you play in any reindeer games then God is your portion.

Loyal
THIS is EXACTLY what I thought myself!!!!!! THANK YOU JESUS for letting me know what I thought was correct.

We are not called to provide for ourselves....Our Father is our provider and we are to be leaning on HIM for our provision....That which is not of faith is sin...Providing for ourselves is not trusting our Father for our provision.

I attend a very small church. We have roughly 8 give or take 3 people that attend & I know the bills come in the church mailbox just as my own do. However, for the past 6 Sundays I have been hearing "tithe, give, blessings, be a blessing, it's the Lords" more than average. I am all for helping no doubt about it. God knows it, I know it & people that see me know it... but I have no money to give at this time. When I do get money (10 or 20 bucks) it goes in gas for my car & necessities like that. As of late I have been helping my pastor with web graphics, flyers & random stuff that he wants done for our church & another church in California at no cost. He feels that because I have this talent & skill I should do it for the church because I'm able without any compensation. Whenever I do not have a job I fall back on doing freelance web graphics work. If I were charging him it would be well over $400.00 worth of work had he not been my pastor & that is a very low cost for what I have done so far. My pastor has also had my fiance (who is recently out of work also) doing work for him at his rental properties & has paid him $20.00 for a days worth of work (7, 8 hours) for 4 days paying him a total of $80.00 & I just don't think that is right. The pastor has however talked to him & let him know that he doesn't want him to think he is taking advantage of him but how can he not think that? Pastor knows our situation & knows we have not got a penny to stretch... I feel it's like being kicked while you're down. I need some advice here... & I wouldn't want to ask anyone other than fellow brothers & sisters in Christ.

I have been out of real work (time clock punching job) for 2 months without a single dime. I am 2 months behind on my lot rent PRAISE GOD I own my trailer!!! My light bill is in shut off & whenever I hear the word tithe it almost sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard to my ears. I would LOVE to tithe & give my part but when someone says that tithing equals blessings or the like I almost choke. I don't give for a blessing, miracle or anything in return. I tithe to tithe. And this 10%... where does it say an amount that we are to give?

I do not want to sound like some tight wad miser that clings to money but it just seems like my church is begging. I am probably wrong but I need advice like I mentioned so if there is an elder in here I would love to hear what you think & if God gives you the words to type that will ease this for me... I have been praying really hard.

My take on the Tithe is that it is no longer in effect. The Levitical priesthood is who the tithe supported and it was brought to the temple both of which do not exist anymore. Gods temple is now inside the believer 1 Cor 3:16. The definition of tithing was never money. You cannot find a tithe in the OT that was money, it was always described as animals, plants, herbs etc. The tithe is part of the law which you have been freed from Romans 7:4, Gal 4:21-26. Heb 7:5-18, Heb 8:8 says the commandments were nullified and replaced. This is a short summary but something to think about.

The NT standard for giving is 2 Cor 9. Each one gives as they decide in their heart. We are encouraged to give generously, cheerfully and without worry. This over time will end in giving greater than 10% in my experience. If we cannot do that then we should not give 10% but an amount that we can be cheerful and worry free about. This is a controversial subject in some churches so it is worth studying and find out what you believe yourself. I don't have a problem with tithing I just don't believe it is a new covenant command.

I feel the best thing we as believers in Christ can do is get a greater revelation of Jesus himself.

Tithing is all about Jesus, i think the church has misunderstood tithing, and also confused tithing with giving. They are two very different things.

to God 10% represents 100%
I pray as You watch this video, it will spark your desire and understanding about tithing.

that You won't tithe because you think you should, but you will tithe because You get too!

just remember God loves being reminded of His beautiful Son Jesus. And all the accomplished work He has done. We as believers get to do things like tithe and take communion or pray in toungues , with Jesus being at the very centre of them all. we get all the benefits of Christ's work.

just remember a few things about tithing.

tithing is all about Jesus.

tithing testifies about Jesus

Jesus was Heavens first fruits and through Jesus we have all become spotless forever in Gods sight.

a quick simple point is , as we tithe we are taking our unclean money,( first fruits) and tithing it. God doesn't ask for 100% God only sees for 10%, because to God 10% represents all. James 2:10 is an example of this James says if You break even one commandment you are guilty of them all. if You break even 1/10th of the commandments (10%) you are guilty of them all (100%).

so as we tithe our first fruits (10%) that 10% represents all of our money (100%). As we tithe we cleanse all of our money from dirty money to clean.

our tithe in essence is signifying Jesus's work of cleansing along with many more things.

i hope you enjoy the video and that it helps You get a personal revelation of tithing and how amazing it is

just remember its never by what we do by our own works to merit something back from God its always about Jesus.
and the credit God gives us for His own work

I can tell You from personal experience , starting my own company in the oil industry 1 year before the price went down 100$ a barrel.
God gave me a fresh revelation of tithing. As so many people around me have gone bankrupt or lost jobs or business. Somehow mine has been flourishing. I know its only because i have leaned of Jesus Christ, and and His grace. knowing that it is Him alone that has made me prosper. Its not my wisdom or another talent i may claim to have. But He alone and i get to tithe! what a blessing

Jesus always deserves100% of the glory
Bless You

Thanks Gracist for your post.

I did listen to the video and truthfully I am not convinced. I don't think the bible supports what he is saying. Some of my disagreements:

1. He only talks about tithing money but never explains why we should only tithe money and not animals/spices like the OT faithful did. I am guessing his church would not accept my tithe in goats therefore denying my blessing.
2. In my opinion he strings together bible verses out of context from throughout the Bible and makes a teaching/story.
3. He implicitly says that if you tithe you will become rich, giving Rockefeller as an example at the end. He explicitly says it when he says the primary reason for the tithe is not to get rich. (It is a reason though).
4. Joseph Prince has a whole host of doctrines that are not biblical in my opinion. So I am skeptical about anything he teaches.
5. There are plenty of examples of people that cannot afford to tithe but do anyway because of teachings like this. They become worse off than before, never becoming rich while Joseph Prince takes home $45,000 per month is salary. No doubt he justifies it by his own tithing doctrine, like Robert Morris. This actually makes me angry. I have good friends that for awhile they tithed because of teachings like this, they had to use a credit card becasue the could not afford to tithe and provide for their family. It took them 9 months to pay it off only because a couple of us families gave our offerings to them instead of the church for awhile so they could be free form that bondage. It would have taken them 3 years on their own.
6. I have noticed that the preachers who teach this doctrine are very rich themselves. (Furtick, Dollar, Meyer, Hagee, Hinn etc.)

I believe that 2 Cor 9 is the standard for giving.

I appreciate your willingness to spend time on a post like this. Would you read this short message by John MacArthur about the tithe from my perspective?

Does God require me to give a tithe of all I earn?

Blessings to you brother!

I am a Sunday School teacher for adults. Most January's I teach a series on the opportunity of giving. In Haggai 1:1-7 Israel was told to "consider your ways". They didn't give what they should have given so God took extra from them. You may not have enough because you never gave what God expected. I taught that to a young pastor who had chronic money problems. He later told me that he went home and told his wife they were going to tithe and see what happens. A month later he told me "Eric it works, I started tithing and now we have enough money. " Be happy you have a little to give God when you have a little. Be happy to give more when you have more.

I would think your pastor didn't have much money to pay your man with so few givers in the church. Study Haggai and you will understand more about what God expects. Let other Christians know your need. They won't help if they don't know the need. You also should help other Christians if you can.
Read John 13:31-35 we are to love other believers.

Active
Many use the excuse that you are planting seed,which is a bunch of garbage! The seed is not your money!!! The seed is the very word of God!( Luke 8:11) And those who would peddle Jesus for money are spoken about in ( 2 Cor 2:17!!) So what about giving? I sure believe in it,and I give not according to the old covenant but rather the one I am under!! The NEW!!! Covenant!!( 2 Cor 9:7-9!!!!!)

Many, not all preachers go to the old for self rather then for others! Do not allow anyone to condemn you for any reason in giving!!!( Rom 8:1) God already said all is his anyway!( Psalm 50:10-12!!!) This has not changed in the New either! But those who peddle God's Word would twist the scripture and use it to there own greed! I believe in supporting the Church YES!

And if you really want to talk about giving, here is an example they will never show you in scripture!!( Acts 2:42-45) verse 45! All!! including the pastor did this!! Do not let anyone pull the wool over your eyes! If this sound harsh it is! I sat under the garbage of the Word of faith movement enough to know when something stinks to high heaven!

They use Luke 6:38 for money when if you read what it talks about before this, has nothing to do with money but rather grace and mercy!( Luke 6:17-37!!!!) This preaching is talked about in 1 Tim 4:1-5!!!! When I preach no offering is taken! I will not allow it! If they wish to support my ministry they can do this a few days before i arrive or a few days after I depart!Because as Jesus spoke to us!!( Matt 10:7-8) later the word talks about taking a money belt with you( Luke 22:35-38) And a sword to protect your money belt as well! LOL i cannot stand preachers who look to both bring bondage,and condemnation for how one should give!

Tithing is never once mentioned in Paul's epistles. Paul is the Apostle to the Gentiles, so I place the theology in his Epistles to be the "foundational" teaching. Tithing was the Old Covenant way of providing for the Levitical Priesthood, who served in the Temple. I don't take things from the "old" and force them into the "new".

Loyal
Tithing is never once mentioned in Paul's epistles. Paul is the Apostle to the Gentiles, so I place the theology in his Epistles to be the "foundational" teaching. Tithing was the Old Covenant way of providing for the Levitical Priesthood, who served in the Temple. I don't take things from the "old" and force them into the "new".
Study more on tithes and you will find that tithing opens a door to blessing from God...
Tithing may or may not be a thing we MUST do today but the principle is still there..and we would be majorly foolish not to tithe....One tenth of all that comes in to us...Money, produce, time etc.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I live on a fixed income. I simply don't tithe. I can't afford to. I do try and help the church out in other ways. If and when I have an overage of food, I make sure it goes to the church. I also teach adult RE classes.

Loyal
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I live on a fixed income. I simply don't tithe. I can't afford to. I do try and help the church out in other ways. If and when I have an overage of food, I make sure it goes to the church. I also teach adult RE classes.
What are RE classes?

Loyal
Religious Education classes. Such classes cover theology, biblical studies, world religions, history, etc.
Oh I see.....They teach religious doctrines, opinions, and tradition, but not necessarily Word? I'm not trying to be snide but it has been my experience........

Oh I see.....They teach religious doctrines, opinions, and tradition, but not necessarily Word? I'm not trying to be snide but it has been my experience........
Well, you are being snide, and I don't have the time of day for that.