• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

How I receive Communion

Loyal
This is how I receive communion....Do you do it this way? If not....How do you do it?

How to receive communion.

When a believer partakes of the Lord's Supper; he should do so with full understanding of its significance. Communion, to many people, has become only a religious observance. It has a much deeper meaning than that.

The communion table is an emblem of Jesus sacrificed for us. Jesus took bread and blessed it and broke it and said Take eat, this is my body”, and He took the cup and gave thanks and gave it to them saying. “Drink ye all of it, for this is my blood of the New Testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins." Matthew 26: 26-28.

Primarily, the Church has centered its attention on the wine as an emblem of Jesus blood that was shed for sin. We take the emblem of blood and say, “Thank God we are delivered from sin” and that is true. Praise God for it. But the blood is only half of communion the bread is an emblem of Jesus body that was broken for us. The emblem for his body is just as important as the emblem for his blood.

According to Isaiah 53:4-5, Jesus’ sacrifice covered every area of man's existence. He bore spiritual torment for sins, mental distress for our worry, care and fear as well as physical pain for our sickness and disease. The stripes He bore were for our healing. With his stripes we are healed. God gave us everything He had to redeem mankind from the curse for us to receive only part of a sacrifice is an insult to him.

When we receive communion, we are receiving His body and His blood. Every time we partake we should examine ourselves closely according to 1Corinthians 11:28-29. But let a man examine himself, and so let them eat of that bread and drink of the cup for he that eats and drinks unworthily eats and drinks damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

There's much more involved in receiving communion that most Christians realize.

God instituted the Lord's Supper for a reason when you receive it, you should be ready to partake of everything. Jesus sacrifice provided -salvation, peace of mind, healing, and total prosperity. In the past we have missed the full meaning of communion by not completely judging ourselves when we partake of it. We have been ready to receive his blood and quick to judge ourselves where sin is concerned. We judge ourselves of sin and repent of it. But what about His body? It was broken for us it was bruised for us. The stripes laid on Jesus’ back were for our healing. At communion we should judge ourselves where sickness is concerned as well. Jesus purchased our healing at Calvary just as He purchased our salvation. With this in mind, we say, “Lord it is not right that I should suffer from sickness and disease. I judge it now as being from Satan and I reject it. I refuse to receive it any longer. I partake of the sacrifice of your body and I receive the healing that you provided in Jesus name.

When you partake of communion make a point of judging yourself to the fullest extent. Don’t just receive it half-way, accept everything Jesus’ sacrifice provided. If you don't examine yourself, if you receive communion just as a religious exercise you will be eating and drinking unworthily, not discerning the Lord's body. Paul wrote “For this cause many are weak and sickly among you and many sleep.” 1Corinthians 11:30.

When the first Passover was instituted, God instructed Moses to kill a lamb, to spread the blood over the door, and then roast lamb and eat all of it. Any that remained was to be burned away. That sacrificial lamb was completely consumed! Jesus as the Lamb of God was the supreme sacrifice, under the Abrahamic covenant. When you partake of His sacrifice, do not take only part of it, take it all. Consume it completely! When you receive the Lord's supper do so like the children of Israel Exodus 12:11 says “And thus shall you eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your stuff in your hand, and you shall eat it in haste: it is the Lord's Passover.” The children of Israel were ready to go. They ate in faith. They were ready to receive their deliverance before they ate

No matter what you may be faced with—sin, sickness, drugs, a weight problem, worry, stripes, old habits -- you may be delivered through properly receiving the Lord's supper. The body and blood of Jesus covered every area of your existence. By discerning his body and judging yourself before him, you can receive your deliverance. Place yourself before God and receive communion as the children of Israel did- ready to receive deliverance.

You don't you do not have to wait until you go to church to receive communion. Receive it home. Get up an hour earlier in the morning every now and then. Take the time to put yourself before God over the communion table. It will be time well spent. I guarantee it. Praise God.

Scriptures Scripture references to use: 1Corinthians 11:23: 24; Matthew 26:26 -- 28; Luke 22: 19 -- 20.

Proclamation Before Breaking of the Bread

“Father God in the name of Jesus, I recognize that I have a covenant with you -- a covenant that was ratified by the shed blood of Jesus at Calvary.

Because of the fact that Jesus’ body was broken for me, that His blood was shed in my behalf, I knowledge that He bore sin, sickness, disease, sorrow, grief, fear, torment, unforgiveness, strife and lack for me. Through His substitutionary sacrifice, I have complete redemption, total deliverance from the works of Satan.

As a new creation in Christ Jesus, I realize my freedom has been bought and paid for. I am forgiven. I am redeemed. I give thanks for it all in Jesus name.”

Pick up the bread and hold it.

Judge and examine yourself in the light of God's Word.

Father in the name of Jesus, I examine my heart, and I judge myself according to the authority of your Word.

In areas where I have missed the mark (strife, unforgiveness, jealousy, envy, hatred, and a covetousness, fear, worry, unbelief, etc.) I take Jesus as our advocate and high priest. I ask forgiveness according to the Word of God. 1John 1:9. You Word says you are faithful and just to forgive me, when I confess my sins and cleanse me from all unrighteousness.

Therefore, I do not eat of the bread, or drink of the cup unworthily, I rightly discern the Lord's body. I receive communion now as the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. I am free from the works of Satan -- spirit, soul and body. Then say this: “The Lord Jesus, the same night in which You were betrayed you took bread: and when You had given thanks, You broke it, and said, ‘take eat this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me’ ” 1Corinthians 11:23 -- 24

Partake of the bread

Then say this: “After the same manner also You took the cup, when You had supped, saying, ‘This cup is the new covenant in my blood: This do you, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as you eat this bread, and drink this cup, you do show the Lord's death till He comes.’ “

Partake of the Cup together.

Now make this confession.

Father I give you thanks for all You have provided for me in Christ Jesus. I confess this day I am the blessed of the Lord. This covenant I entered into at the new birth is a covenant filled with the exceeding great and precious promises of God, and I am a partaker of those promises now!

I am healed. I am redeemed. I am delivered from the authority of darkness. I am translated into the kingdom of God's dear Son. I am the head and not the tail. I’m above and not beneath. I come behind it no good thing. All that I set my hands to prosperous, and I praise you, Father, for the newness of life I now enjoy in Jesus’ name. Amen.

Loyal
1 Cor 11:27; Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord.
1 Cor 11:28; But a man must examine himself, and in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup.
1 Cor 11:29; For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly.
1 Cor 11:30; For this reason many among you are weak and sick, and a number sleep.
1 Cor 11:31; But if we judged ourselves rightly, we would not be judged.

Whoever drinks unworthily... can a Christian be unworthy? There are a few verses that say we can be. ( Matt 10:37; Matt 10:38; Matt 22:8; John 1:27; 2 Thes 1:5; Acts 13:46; etc.. )
He who eats and drinks... eats and drinks judgment to himself... if he does not judge correctly.

I'm not sure simply examining ourselves is enough.... OK... I have sin. God is good with that, Lets have communion.
I'm not sure confessing the sin is enough either.... OK, I sinned, God is good with that, lets have communion.
This is talking about repentance,

1 Cor 11:32; But when we are judged, we are disciplined by the Lord so that we will not be condemned along with the world.

Why are disciplined? So we can just keep doing what we were doing before? The purpose of discipline is change.
We make kids sit in the corner in "time out" so they will change. We put people in jail or prison, so they will change.
We put fines on traffic tickets so people will change. (of course some people are hard hearted and do not change).

That's really what repentance is... change. I used to do this... now I no longer do that...

If we don't change, are we really judging ourselves correctly? Or are we drinking in an unworthy manner?

Loyal
1 Cor 11:27; Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord.
1 Cor 11:28; But a man must examine himself, and in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup.
1 Cor 11:29; For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly.
1 Cor 11:30; For this reason many among you are weak and sick, and a number sleep.
1 Cor 11:31; But if we judged ourselves rightly, we would not be judged.

Whoever drinks unworthily... can a Christian be unworthy? There are a few verses that say we can be. ( Matt 10:37; Matt 10:38; Matt 22:8; John 1:27; 2 Thes 1:5; Acts 13:46; etc.. )
He who eats and drinks... eats and drinks judgment to himself... if he does not judge correctly.

I'm not sure simply examining ourselves is enough.... OK... I have sin. God is good with that, Lets have communion.
I'm not sure confessing the sin is enough either.... OK, I sinned, God is good with that, lets have communion.
This is talking about repentance,

1 Cor 11:32; But when we are judged, we are disciplined by the Lord so that we will not be condemned along with the world.

Why are disciplined? So we can just keep doing what we were doing before? The purpose of discipline is change.
We make kids sit in the corner in "time out" so they will change. We put people in jail or prison, so they will change.
We put fines on traffic tickets so people will change. (of course some people are hard hearted and do not change).

That's really what repentance is... change. I used to do this... now I no longer do that...

If we don't change, are we really judging ourselves correctly? Or are we drinking in an unworthy manner?

In the case of our communion meal with the Lord it is much more accurate from the Hebrew...27 Therefore, whoever eats the Lord’s bread or drinks the Lord’s cup in an unworthy manner will be guilty of desecrating the body and blood of the Lord! It would be an "unworthy manner" to forget about the body of Christ and focus only on the blood....We judge ourselves as sinful and the blood has cleaned us, saved us and set us free. That's good! But we ignore the body of Jesus. Tortured and broken for our healing, all physical, mental and spiritual deliverance. Jesus’ sacrifice covered every area of man's existence. He bore spiritual torment for sins, mental distress for our worry, care and fear as well as physical pain for our sickness and disease. The stripes He bore were for our healing. With his stripes we are healed. God gave us everything He had to redeem mankind from the curse for us to receive only part of a sacrifice is an insult to him.

I don't know why we forget about the other half of our covenant when we take communion but we do tend to do just that.

You also asked "

When you were born again, Jesus took your place, He took the beatings for you, He took the death for you. God looks at you and sees your penalty paid. He attributes that to you. Sinner, wages of sin =death, Price paid by proxy accepted, welcome home kid! You too have the credit for suffering and dying because when you were born again you followed Jesus through death, the grave and His resurrection. You were disciplined. and you are disciplined now too. Discipline means, for you now, "activity, exercise, or a regimen that develops or improves a skill; training:" What is that discipline we now have? It's a good one.

When we take communion we are not just doing a ceremony. That ceremony means something. We are remembering what Jesus did. but more, we are remembering our COVENANT with our Father...What is involved in our covenant? Because of that covenant we are family with God, and what does that mean? Dig into that my good friend. For some obscure reason we seldom think about such things...We just take them for granted. What does it mean for you to be God's son? Legalities? Privileges? Authorities? What is yours under this covenant?

For an example: According to the laws of covenant, a breaker of covenant is to die...You are an adopted son of God. Adopted...is covenant. An adopted son's position is more sure than a blood son. A father can disown his blood son with only the pain of a broken relationship. If the father disowned an adopted son...He would have to die.

Loyal
it is much more accurate from the Hebrew...27

Hebrews 27??

When you were born again, Jesus took your place, He took the beatings for you, He took the death for you. God looks at you and sees your penalty paid. He attributes that to you. Sinner, wages of sin =death, Price paid by proxy accepted, welcome home kid! You too have the credit for suffering and dying because when you were born again you followed Jesus through death, the grave and His resurrection. You were disciplined. and you are disciplined now too. Discipline means, for you now, "activity, exercise, or a regimen that develops or improves a skill; training:" What is that discipline we now have? It's a good one.

Of course all of this is again, on the condition that I repent.

Loyal
Hebrews 27??

Of course all of this is again, on the condition that I repent.

LOL I must have had a case of cranial rectal inversion there. I meant
1 Corinthians 11:27
Therefore, whoever eats the Lord’s bread or drinks the Lord’s cup in an unworthy manner will be guilty of desecrating the body and blood of the Lord!.
Now I have to figure out what I had in mind at the time.

Loyal
Good to talk about this.

There's a couple of things missing from the proclamation before breaking of bread that I have always considered important.

First, is that there is no clear reference to repentance. The references to 'missing the mark', forgiveness and claiming the advocacy of Jesus Christ are all good, but never reach quite as far as 'I repent of my sins'.

My church regularly uses this form of confession, which is clearly drawn heavily from Psalm 51:

Lord God,
we have sinned against you;
we have done evil in your sight.
We are sorry and repent.
Have mercy on us according to your love.
Wash away our wrongdoing and cleanse us from our sin.
Renew a right spirit within us
and restore us to the joy of your salvation,
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

The second element is that communion ought to be communal - a shared sacred meal. It affirms our standing before God, but it should also affirm our place in the body of Christ on earth.

Loyal
Good to talk about this.

There's a couple of things missing from the proclamation before breaking of bread that I have always considered important.

First, is that there is no clear reference to repentance. The references to 'missing the mark', forgiveness and claiming the advocacy of Jesus Christ are all good, but never reach quite as far as 'I repent of my sins'.

My church regularly uses this form of confession, which is clearly drawn heavily from Psalm 51:

Lord God,
we have sinned against you;
we have done evil in your sight.
We are sorry and repent.
Have mercy on us according to your love.
Wash away our wrongdoing and cleanse us from our sin.
Renew a right spirit within us
and restore us to the joy of your salvation,
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

The second element is that communion ought to be communal - a shared sacred meal. It affirms our standing before God, but it should also affirm our place in the body of Christ on earth.

I do not criticize your way of doing communion my friend but I do see that you only deal with one part of our covenant..Unless you haven't spoken about it? How do you deal with the benefits side of the covenant? Its interesting how different peoples do communion, a cultural element if you will. Don't you agree?

Loyal
I do not criticize your way of doing communion my friend but I do see that you only deal with one part of our covenant..Unless you haven't spoken about it? How do you deal with the benefits side of the covenant? Its interesting how different peoples do communion, a cultural element if you will. Don't you agree?

Fair comment. I only wrote about elements in the op that struck me as absent - I wasn't attempting a full description of what communion means to me, or to say what it ought to mean to others.

I agree that Jesus' command to 'do this in remembrance of me' leaves a lot of room for people to interpret in many ways and with different emphasis. Perhaps it's an indication that it's ok for churches in different places and situations to find their own ways to obey Christ's commands.

Loyal
Fair comment. I only wrote about elements in the op that struck me as absent - I wasn't attempting a full description of what communion means to me, or to say what it ought to mean to others.

I agree that Jesus' command to 'do this in remembrance of me' leaves a lot of room for people to interpret in many ways and with different emphasis. Perhaps it's an indication that it's OK for churches in different places and situations to find their own ways to obey Christ's commands.
I was at one church one time, they did communion and that remembrance was kind of like "Oh I remember Him!" and very little more. As the kids used to say 'Gag me with a fork lift'

Loyal
LOL What we are to remember then is Jesus, shed His blood in order to ratify the covenant with the Father in which we are the beneficiaries. Cool!

Loyal
LOL What we are to remember then is Jesus, shed His blood in order to ratify the covenant with the Father in which we are the beneficiaries. Cool!
Yes, and so much more. I can't think of any essential part of Christian life and faith that's not grounded in this act of remembrance.

'I resolved to know nothing among you save Jesus Christ and him crucified'

Active
Yep generally its similar, and I have said that same prayer of confession at one church.

At home if Im alone Its kind of more of a remembrance without all of the scripture being recited though. I think churches do this as a way of teaching everyone WHY we do this.

Loyal
Yep generally its similar, and I have said that same prayer of confession at one church.

At home if Im alone Its kind of more of a remembrance without all of the scripture being recited though. I think churches do this as a way of teaching everyone WHY we do this.
Dear one....Don't recite the scriptures when you take communion....READ them... Its like....The taste of the cherry pie is sooo much better than the memory of your last slice.

Active
We dont recite scripture the pastor does this. We just hear it, but he does say the same acriputres all the time.

i just remember Jesus I dont have to say the same scripture over and over to remember what He did everytime I have communion, But its good for others especially if you new. You never know who will be in church that day wanting to share communion.

Active
Reciting scripture means you know it off by heart and can say it out loud you dont even need to read it.

Different people do different things theres no prescribed way as long as you do it often to remember Him.
There's no point picking a bone with it.

Loyal
We dont recite scripture the pastor does this. We just hear it, but he does say the same acriputres all the time.

i just remember Jesus I dont have to say the same scripture over and over to remember what He did everytime I have communion, But its good for others especially if you new. You never know who will be in church that day wanting to share communion.
How do you do it (communion) when its just you and the Lord? At home...

Active
When its just me and the Lord...well I have my grape juice and cracker (or bread) and I just say thank you to Him and remember that Ive been forgiven and what a price Jesus paid for my salvation. And then eat and drink, its quite simple really.

Loyal
When its just me and the Lord...well I have my grape juice and cracker (or bread) and I just say thank you to Him and remember that Ive been forgiven and what a price Jesus paid for my salvation. And then eat and drink, its quite simple really.
Good! Try speaking naming the things that have been given to you in this covenant too. Declare and decree who you are in this covenant..who you are in Jesus anointing. What has been given to you because of Jesus' shed blood...Salvation, deliverance from devils, healing, blessing of all kinds, etc. Speak it dear lady..Its your words that release the power of our God in your life.

Loyal
Good! Try speaking naming the things that have been given to you in this covenant too. Declare and decree who you are in this covenant..who you are in Jesus anointing. What has been given to you because of Jesus' shed blood...Salvation, deliverance from devils, healing, blessing of all kinds, etc. Speak it dear lady..Its your words that release the power of our God in your life.
Let me add here.... We are heirs of God, are we not? and joint heirs with Jesus? Yes? OK That means that everything Jesus gets from Father, we get....Everything that Jesus owns....We own.
Romans 8:17 (CJB)
17 and if we are children, then we are also heirs, heirs of God and joint-heirs with the Messiah — provided we are suffering with him in order also to be glorified with him.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus is the I AM! Jesus is Healing...Jesus resides in us...Healing resides in us! NO DIS EASE HAS A PLACE IN US! Unless we choose to disbelieve Gods Word and give it a place.
The same applies to every need we have.