• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

HOW DOES IT WORK??? TELL ME PLEASE!!!

Hello I am posting because I would really like to know some very effective ways on studying Gods word. Is there a guide I can go by or a method that would help with my studying of Gods word? I have tried several different ways and it has kinda left me confused. I know that there are some true women and men God out there that can share some wisdom that I know would help me. I really would appreciate the suggestions thank you all Love You All ...

Loyal
Simplicity is always best. The new testament is more applicable to Christians than the old testament (which is still God's word, and worthy, but not as important to know first). Just begin reading in the new testament beginning with the gospels and read all the books of the new testament. Each time before you begin reading pray that God would open your eyes to the spiritual messages and teachings found there. God will never fail you, although there will be times you will think He might, but that's because how the world has programmed you into thinking of what is evil and what is not. Knowing scripture and following the leading of the Holy Spirit will slowly deprogram you from the worlds teachings. God bless you on your journey!

Loyal
ESV study bible has been a great tool for me. Also habit forming studying has helped me, first thing in the morning I read the word every day. Just like exersize the more I do it the better it gets,

Loyal
Don't get in a hurry with it, but never miss a day with it. While you need to read each day, don't push yourself on into weariness. Stop when your eyes won't focus on the page, but don't stop when you are hungry and just need to feast on it.

What you are doing when you are reading is eating so savour it fully for it is where Life comes from:

"Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Matt 4:4

Active
Just remember that God is love.
1 John 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

Sometimes we are quick to form an interpretation from a very limited amount of information.
Example:
John 9:1 As Jesus was passing by, He saw a man blind from birth.
John 9:2 His disciples asked Him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”
John 9:3 Jesus answered, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but this happened that the works of God would be displayed in him.…

The disciples were sure that there where only two possible answers because they were lacking information.
Sometimes the answer is something that we have not yet considered.
When something seems contradictory or cruel then you may be missing the perspective that "God is love".
Humans tend to interpret things through the eyes of separation,lack and fear because we are taught to do that.
But love has its own set of eyes that see trough the blood of Jesus finished work on the cross and his resurrection.
When we think of God's judgement we should think how love judges because God is love.

I'm only 23 though still new to my spiritual journey. I personally went out and bought two bibles, first a King James Version and a NIV teen study bible. At first I just had my King James Version and I struggled reading there it, so I got my study bible. I later started in the New Testament, because a friend had suggested it. I am now almost threw the New Testament and it has been an amazing journey! It has been so exciting to get to read each day and see what God has waiting for me threw his word!! While reading I also have a notebook I will write little notes, scriptures, and prayers. This website has also helped me so much with any questions I may have, truly so much great council on here!! I am very thankful for all the great people on here! I was lost at first but small steps each day has allowed me to gain so much knowledge of the lord and his plan for us!!! I hope this has helped!! Feel free to ask me anything threw message or on here!!! I'm gonna pray for you God bless!!

Administrator
Staff Member
Hi @Renee

#1 Devotionals. So many free devotionals at bible.com (owner of YouVersion Bible app on iOS / Android)
#2 Study Bible
#3 Commentaries are great. Check out biblestudytools.org for free study resources including commentaries, dictionaries.
#4 When reading, ask the Holy Spirit in prayer to give you understanding, speak to you and help you focus. He will!

Staff Member
Hello Sister @Renee
Glad you asked :)

This is my suggestion, but the universally accepted methods will follow (link).

- Find the bible right for you to read/comprehend - Pray about it (My common theme throughout this post). You know what your level of reading is. Let that be guide in choosing the one that help you to start out with. You'll be surprised as you study and grow in His word. How you will look for different versions to compare one against the other. There are sites online that will provide you this ability. I believe you've been given one or two already.

- Set time & place aside to do this - Found this under a heading of "Getting away from distractions". "We must read and get into the Word of God ourselves through prayer, hard work, discipline, concentration, application, and even more prayer!" You'll find that the world will intrude in every which way to prevent you from doing so! Stay strong sister! And a whole lot of praying!

- Pray before doing so - You have the most powerful guide to assist you in the Holy Spirit. He wants to help. Let Him! Pray: peace of mind, guidance, clarity, understanding, "Revelation".

- Start with the Gospels. Reference back to the OT as the need arises to get context of people, place, things, law, etc.

Note: I truly believe if you can understand who you are in Jesus Christ first. Everything else can be seen with a greater clarity. The Gospels do this! Then go back to Genesis.​

- Take your time. Don't try to eat it all at once! Trying to consume it all at once is how you get an upset stomach and headaches. Think of it like eating a nice bowel of rich ice cream. Eat it quickly and you'll get what..... :whistle Piece by piece! A little at a time. Enjoy it, Savor it! His Word can be bitter at times to digest, because it will convict you, but so yummy when you gain revelation!!
- Make notes as you go along. You might find highlighting beneficial as well. Found this and thought you might find it useful. Hopefully, this will give you an idea so you can create your own.

Bible Highlighting System

PURPLE - Truths about God; references about God, including pronouns​

YELLOW - Truths about Jesus; references about Jesus, including pronouns​

BLUE - References to the Holy Spirit​

GREEN - Commands to obey; Instructions to follow; what I should do​

ORANGE - Sins to avoid; warnings​

PINK - Promises to claim; blessings; encouragement​

UNDERLINE - Anything else important or that speaks to my heart​

- You can start by reading a section or even an entire chapter first straight through. This should give some context as you slowly go back over and start to digest verse by verse this awesome food you have been given!

But He answered and said, "It is written, 'MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.' Matthew 4:4

He said to me, "Son of man, feed your stomach and fill your body with this scroll which I am giving you." Then I ate it, and it was sweet as honey in my mouth.Ezekiel 3:3

Your words were found and I ate them, And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart;For I have been called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16

- End in prayer. Always giving thanks for His Words to you! I've found myself jumping out of bed in the middle of night and thinking to myself "That's what it means!!!" I will tell you that it is tough getting back to sleep after that :laugh:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of cause this really doesn't tell you the different methods of how. Here's a quote that kind of puts studying the Bible into perspective.

Men seem to think that there is some magic power in the book, and that, if they will but open its pages and skim over its words, they will get good out of it. The Bible is good only because of the truth that is in it, and to see this truth demands close attention. R. A. Torrey (1856-1928)

Below is a link that provides you a full coverage of most of the methods of Bible Study. Specifically the information you are looking for is in Part 3 title: CREATIVE BIBLE STUDY

Studies covered are: Topical, Biographical, Theological, Typological, and also includes how to study Poetry, Prophecy.

Creative Bible Study Methods

I hope this will help you out in how you might want to go about beginning/continuing to Study the Word of God. Brother Chad also had a good idea in using devotionals! Use 2 or 3 myself.

As always. If you have any questions or you need to bounce something off someone. You have Brothers & Sisters in Christ Jesus here at Talk Jesus who will help you as the Holy Spirit moves them to!

God bless and rejoice in this journey of study!
YBIC
C4E
<><

All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Hello Sister @Renee
Glad you asked :)

This is my suggestion, but the universally accepted methods will follow (link).

- Find the bible right for you to read/comprehend - Pray about it (My common theme throughout this post). You know what your level of reading is. Let that be guide in choosing the one that help you to start out with. You'll be surprised as you study and grow in His word. How you will look for different versions to compare one against the other. There are sites online that will provide you this ability. I believe you've been given one or two already.

- Set time & place aside to do this - Found this under a heading of "Getting away from distractions". "We must read and get into the Word of God ourselves through prayer, hard work, discipline, concentration, application, and even more prayer!" You'll find that the world will intrude in every which way to prevent you from doing so! Stay strong sister! And a whole lot of praying!

- Pray before doing so - You have the most powerful guide to assist you in the Holy Spirit. He wants to help. Let Him! Pray: peace of mind, guidance, clarity, understanding, "Revelation".

- Start with the Gospels. Reference back to the OT as the need arises to get context of people, place, things, law, etc.

Note: I truly believe if you can understand who you are in Jesus Christ first. Everything else can be seen with a greater clarity. The Gospels do this! Then go back to Genesis.​

- Take your time. Don't try to eat it all at once! Trying to consume it all at once is how you get an upset stomach and headaches. Think of it like eating a nice bowel of rich ice cream. Eat it quickly and you'll get what..... :whistle Piece by piece! A little at a time. Enjoy it, Savor it! His Word can be bitter at times to digest, because it will convict you, but so yummy when you gain revelation!!
- Make notes as you go along. You might find highlighting beneficial as well. Found this and thought you might find it useful. Hopefully, this will give you an idea so you can create your own.

Bible Highlighting System

PURPLE - Truths about God; references about God, including pronouns​

YELLOW - Truths about Jesus; references about Jesus, including pronouns​

BLUE - References to the Holy Spirit​

GREEN - Commands to obey; Instructions to follow; what I should do​

ORANGE - Sins to avoid; warnings​

PINK - Promises to claim; blessings; encouragement​

UNDERLINE - Anything else important or that speaks to my heart​

- You can start by reading a section or even an entire chapter first straight through. This should give some context as you slowly go back over and start to digest verse by verse this awesome food you have been given!

But He answered and said, "It is written, 'MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.' Matthew 4:4

He said to me, "Son of man, feed your stomach and fill your body with this scroll which I am giving you." Then I ate it, and it was sweet as honey in my mouth.Ezekiel 3:3

Your words were found and I ate them, And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart;For I have been called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16

- End in prayer. Always giving thanks for His Words to you! I've found myself jumping out of bed in the middle of night and thinking to myself "That's what it means!!!" I will tell you that it is tough getting back to sleep after that :laugh:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of cause this really doesn't tell you the different methods of how. Here's a quote that kind of puts studying the Bible into perspective.

Men seem to think that there is some magic power in the book, and that, if they will but open its pages and skim over its words, they will get good out of it. The Bible is good only because of the truth that is in it, and to see this truth demands close attention. R. A. Torrey (1856-1928)

Below is a link that provides you a full coverage of most of the methods of Bible Study. Specifically the information you are looking for is in Part 3 title: CREATIVE BIBLE STUDY

Studies covered are: Topical, Biographical, Theological, Typological, and also includes how to study Poetry, Prophecy.

Creative Bible Study Methods

I hope this will help you out in how you might want to go about beginning/continuing to Study the Word of God. Brother Chad also had a good idea in using devotionals! Use 2 or 3 myself.

As always. If you have any questions or you need to bounce something off someone. You have Brothers & Sisters in Christ Jesus here at Talk Jesus who will help you as the Holy Spirit moves them to!

God bless and rejoice in this journey of study!
YBIC
C4E
<><

All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17
HI I think this will help along side with the other methods that others has helped me.

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth
not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

As a Gentile, I started with the Epistles written by the Apostle to the Gentiles.
As the Apostle to the Gentiles, Paul authored Romans through Philemon.
That "laid the foundation" for me to begin reading the rest of the Bible.

I use this 1
http://kingstable.org/kt/kt9.pdf

Series: Project 21 - Living with God

1 The Word of God
2 God
3 The Gospel
4 Jesus
5 The Cross
6 The Blood
7 Resurrection
8 Repentance
9 Faith
10 Grace
11 Water Baptism
12 The Holy Spirit
13 Temptation
14 Fellowship
15 Generosity
16 Kingdom of God
17 Worship
18 Prayer
19 Eternity
20 Second Coming
21 The Call Index

Loyal
Get ready!
Get a hunger for the WORD. This will keep you and motivate you to feed on that wonderful spiritual nourishment. I suspect you are already hungry. Some are to the point where if they don't ready their Bible daily, it's like they are literally starving because they are so aware of their spiritual health. Get hungry, see the WORD as your food. Need it, want it, and know that you can't live without it.

Matthew 5:6 - "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."
Matthew 4:4- "Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

Get set!!
Get a plan. Get some great resources (concordance, Bible dictionary, multiple translations) and join a Bible study group, or get
a study partner who is able to learn with you and is as hungry or hungrier.

2 Timothy 2:15 - "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

GO!!!
Jump in, don't spend too much time planning, but do plan. Jump in and make it happen. After which you
can look back and evaluate and change things that need to be changed. Happy feasting. Just study, if the hunger is present and you have a basic plan that you pray over, the Holy Spirit will lead you into getting to know Him. Remember the purpose is not just to study the WORD but that in study

the WORD you will encounter Jesus. As John 5:39 reads, "You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life.
These are the very Scriptures that testify about me,
" Remember the purpose is not just to acquire knowledge but to encounter Jesus and to live a change
live because of having studied. Stay blessed my sister in Christ.

Psalms 34:8-"Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him."

Loyal
I would really like to know some very effective ways on studying Gods word. Is there a guide I can go by or a method that would help with my studying of Gods word?
Yes. Receive the Holy Spirit in the manner described in the Book of Acts (Pentecost) and you will have your eyes enlightened and be given understanding.
The Holy Spirit is the best lens to read the Word through.

(GNB) For no prophetic message ever came just from the human will, but people were under the control of the Holy Spirit as they spoke the message that came from God.
2Peter 1:21

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh,
and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.
Ezekiel 36:26-27
33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts;
and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me,
from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
Jeremiah 31:33-34

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth
not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

As a Gentile, I started with the Epistles written by the Apostle to the Gentiles.
As the Apostle to the Gentiles, Paul authored Romans through Philemon.
That "laid the foundation" for me to begin reading the rest of the Bible.

I might point out one essential doctrine that is taught by Christ in Paul's Epistles.
That essential doctrine is the command to "walk in the Spirit" found in Romans 8 and Galatians 5.
The essence of this doctrine is to learn to differentiate between the "self" (ego), which is the "old man"
or the "carnal nature", etc. and the "new man" which is sealed with the Holy Spirit and must learn
how to "listen to" and "walk in" (be guided by) the Holy Spirit. Wisdom and Knowledge will follow.