• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

How do you know?

Active
Greetings Brethrens in Christ,

I Just wanted to ask for advice, how do we know if something or a decision is the will of God for us?

Loyal
one way is if it lines us with his word in the bible, that is why we must be lifelong students of studying his word and putting it to practice

Also conviction, the holy spirit will convict you of something that is wrong and you need to repent and fix

Active
And you are right every decision that we will make must be aligned with the Word of God. Thank you for reminding me.

Active

I Just wanted to ask for advice, how do we know if something or a decision is the will of God for us?

We come to a fork in the road. I can go this way or I can go that way. We automatically ask, which way is God wanting me to go. But this is not a right or wrong issue. It is just wanting to be in the will of God.

The road is not the will of God. It is just a road. God goes with us, irregardless which fork I take. If I stay here, God stays with me. If I go there, God goes with me.

If for some reason known only to God, God does not want you to go a certain way, He will let you know and stop you.

So, you choose the direction you want to go, Praise God and go, or Praise God and stay.

Quantrill

Staff Member
Greetings,

does it glorify God?

Pray and know that God will give His peace or let you know otherwise.
Does it line up with Scripture? There are many verses and passages in Scripture that help us to know if something is or is not pleasing to Him. Therefore, whatever it is, does it fully line up with all Scripture? Ask God to reveal your heart - the motives of your thoughts, as in, what is really the reason, to follow your wants or to be His Servant in all things.

Give thanks, where you are and for all that is in your life. Give thanks to the Lord for Who He is! Continue in deep thanks giving until you are able to completely be separated from your own fleshy desires; all of us war against the flesh, not only you. When we honestly give thanks, our own wants fade away and we can then know more clearly the will of God as He reveals to us the things to be thankful for.

It has been the experience of many that the Lord confirms to us through Scripture, through other people and through circumstances.

You may also remember Gideon? He put out a fleece and asked it be wet with dew and the ground around it to be dry. He also repeated this, asking the fleece be dry and the ground around it, wet. I don't think the Lord minds us seeking His will and wanting confirmation from Him.

Seek counsel from other Christians [which is what you are doing here - but do not neglect speaking face to face with someone, also]

Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellors they are established.
Proverbs 15:22

Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.
Proverbs 11:14

and again, does it glorify God?

Please know also, no matter where you are, He is there, with you. There will be trials and temptations, along with joys and rejoicings. But do not think you will be any 'closer' to Him being anywhere but where you are, whether you move or not.

Listen. The Lord will guide you.

Pray.

Listen.... pray... listen.... pray

Bless you ....><>

Active
Thank you so much for all your advices and reminders but really the main reason is to help my family especially my mom. Just not easy to be away from them again.

Staff Member
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

Huwag kayong mangabalisa sa anomang bagay; kundi sa lahat ng mga bagay sa pamamagitan ng panalangin at daing na may pagpapasalamat ay ipakilala ninyo ang inyong mga kahilingan sa Dios.
At ang kapayapaan ng Dios, na di masayod ng pagiisip, ay magiingat ng inyong mga puso at ng inyong mga pagiisip kay Cristo Jesus.

Philippians 4:6-7

Loyal

Col 3:15 And let the peace (soul harmony which comes) from Christ rule (act as umpire continually) in your hearts [deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds, in that peaceful state] to which as [members of Christ's] one body you were also called [to live]. And be thankful (appreciative), [giving praise to God always]. (AMP)

Active
Greetings Brother Bear
I am well and really blessed by the grace of God.

Thank you for asking. Bless you all!

Wnl

Hi Jellani,
Your day to day walk with God is as you know, to follow
Jesus Christ example to consider that everything that you do
In you life is done right and honestly (righteousness and truth)
thinking of others in love.
In my experience if God wants you to do whatever His will is
for you, it will happen, regardless of your thought on the matter
His will be done, try to be obedient, or you might find yourself
in the body of a whale.
Hope this helps.
With Love, Wnl

I Agree with Dave M and you need to pray and take a worship time everyday so the holy spirit will work in you with his fire and will help you recognize bad and good decisions