• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

How Do I Put on the Armor of God?

Administrator
Staff Member
Belt of Truth

Breastplate of Righteousness

Shield of Faith

Armor of God

The armor of God is described in Ephesians 6:10-18. In this passage we are told that our primary battles are of a spiritual nature and that we need spiritual armor to be able to stand firm in the midst of these battles. The armor includes the following pieces:

Belt of truth: The belt of truth is the first item in our arsenal. A belt holds the other pieces of clothing and armor together. It secures the outfit and allows a soldier to move freely. Truth both secures us and gives us freedom (John 8:32). One of Satan's greatest offensive tactics is to deceive us; he is the "father of lies" (John 8:44). With the belt of truth around our waists, we are prepared to defend against this. This truth also applies to the way we live our lives. When we live with honesty and integrity, the other pieces of our armor – what could be considered our spiritual selves – stay intact. A life of integrity is not easily torn asunder.

Breastplate of righteousness: The breastplate of righteousness covers our hearts and other vital organs. In a sense, the breastplate covers the most vulnerable areas of a warrior. Proverbs 4:23 says, "Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life." The righteousness that guards a believer's heart is the righteousness of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21).

Shoes of Peace: Our feet are to be "fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace" (Ephesians 6:15 NIV). Because we know the good news of Christ and by that knowledge experience peace in Him (John 14:27), our feet are willing to move. In obedience to Christ, we will flee temptations (1 Corinthians 10:14; 1 Timothy 6:11; 2 Timothy 2:22) and walk into whatever He has called us to (Psalm 86:11; Isaiah 30:21; John 15:10).

Shield of faith: The shield of faith is used to "extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one" (Ephesians 6:16). When Satan attacks us, our faith in Christ lessens the blow. We are able to withstand the attack because we know whom we have believed (2 Timothy 1:12).

Helmet of salvation: A helmet protects the brain, basically our minds. It is because of salvation that our minds can be sound. We are assured of our eternities, and made righteous recipients of peace, practitioners of faith, and knowers of truth. Our minds are protected because of Jesus' work on the cross; we have been given the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:12-16). A helmet can also serve as a signifier. When the enemy looks at us, he sees that we belong to Christ. We carry with us the seal of the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:13-14).

Sword of the Spirit: The sword of the Spirit is the Word of God. This includes God's written Word (the Bible), God's incarnate Word (Jesus as Logos), and God's spoken Word (the Holy Spirit within us). The sword is the one offensive weapon in the list. We are told, "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart" (Hebrews 4:12). Second Timothy 3:16 (NIV) speaks of Scripture as being "God-breathed." When God spoke creation came into existence. He breathed life into man. There is power in the Word of God; this is why it is our best offense.

credit: What is the full armor of God?

Saw an interesting Youtube video by Mark Biltz. He contends that Paul was not using the analogy of a ROMAN soldier, but the High Priest.

Active
Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. (Colossians 3:12-15)

The practical use of how.

Active
I clicked on one and it didn't give much except send your money and order yours today.

God said "what I have freely given to you, freely give to them. Amen.

Staff Member
I clicked on one and it didn't give much except send your money and order yours today.

God said "what I have freely given to you, freely give to them. Amen.

I do believe that you have to wait about 3-4 minutes after the opening.
I do know what you mean as it pertains to your closing statement. However, once you get past the "advertisement" you do get some meat to grow by. I thank brother Chad for finding and posting this "freely".
YBIC
Nick
<><

Active
I didn't scroll enough. I clicked the video and there is about a 30 sec clip. Then order yours today.

So the posts on down is this part of that man or brother Chad? There is meat in that. Amen. The belt holds the armour together. Amen. Nice meat indeed.

Forgive me brothers. I am trying to learn the net (phone) but I'm not very good at it.

Staff Member
@rag4aCrown

New technology takes me a while to get used to as well. :rolleyes:

The reason I used Chad's name. I normally mention the person who does the posting of anothers' words as being theirs. Since they're the ones who are sharing it with us. Unless I'm commenting on something that the originator says.

I'm so glad that you were able to finally view one of the videos.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Loyal
Saw an interesting Youtube video by Mark Biltz. He contends that Paul was not using the analogy of a ROMAN soldier, but the High Priest.

It makes sense....The armor God tells of of in the Word makes us unstoppable whereas the armor of a Roman warrior is not without weak spots....Roman warriors were killed in battle often....The Word says we are kings and priests, our warfare is not carnal, but we speak the word and Satan will flee...

Active
It makes sense....The armor God tells of of in the Word makes us unstoppable whereas the armor of a Roman warrior is not without weak spots....Roman warriors were killed in battle often....The Word says we are kings and priests, our warfare is not carnal, but we speak the word and Satan will flee...

Interesting my friend. Over the years, the armor has always interested me. Recently I was pondering the "Shield of faith" When looking up some references on "shield" I discovered that Jehovah is our Shield. I was filled with joy when I realized that by faith, when trouble strikes, I have a Shield that covers my entire body, Praise our Lord!!

Loyal
Interesting my friend. Over the years, the armor has always interested me. Recently I was pondering the "Shield of faith" When looking up some references on "shield" I discovered that Jehovah is our Shield. I was filled with joy when I realized that by faith, when trouble strikes, I have a Shield that covers my entire body, Praise our Lord!!

I just heard of this too... I do believe this teaching is correct....It makes me a lot more confident in the armor too.

Loyal

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Most believers leave out the first part which is key and must be a 24/7/365 type of thing.

This holds true in speaking God's word. he the devil will challenge you and if you are not built up on His most Holy Word, well you have pretty much already lost that battle.
Blessings
Jim

Loyal
@Wired 4 Fishen
@Bendito
@Chopper
@Christ4Ever
@rag4aCrown
@HisFollower
@Beameup
@Chad

Hello there,

The question asked in the subject heading is, 'How do I put on the Armour of God?'

I believe that the answer to this question, is by reckoning: reckoning on the efficacy of the sacrificial work of Christ. by faith.

- Christ is our girdle of truth, for He is the Truth..
- Christ is our helmet of salvation.
- Christ is our breastplate of righteousness.
- Christ is our shield of faith.
- Christ is the living Word, the sword of the Spirit.
- Christ is the armour covering our feet, for He is our peace.
- Christ is our covering of all prayer, for He is interceding on our behalf before the Father, as the Holy Spirit intercedes in prayer for us here.

* All is done, and being done for us, we just have to rest in the knowledge of that, by faith, and praise His Name!

We are His Workmanship!

* He keeps us, as with a garrison of soldiers, or with a circle of thorn bushes. In Christ, Who is the Head of ALL principality and power, might and dominion, we have nothing to fear from Satan or from demonic forces.

God has placed us in Christ,
The victory is won!

Praise His Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Loyal
@Wired 4 Fishen
@Bendito
@Chopper
@Christ4Ever
@rag4aCrown
@HisFollower
@Beameup
@Chad

Hello there,

The question asked in the subject heading is, 'How do I put on the Armour of God?'

I believe that the answer to this question, is by reckoning: reckoning on the efficacy of the sacrificial work of Christ. by faith.

- Christ is our girdle of truth, for He is the Truth..
- Christ is our helmet of salvation.
- Christ is our breastplate of righteousness.
- Christ is our shield of faith.
- Christ is the living Word, the sword of the Spirit.
- Christ is the armour covering our feet, for He is our peace.
- Christ is our covering of all prayer, for He is interceding on our behalf before the Father, as the Holy Spirit intercedes in prayer for us here.

* All is done, and being done for us, we just have to rest in the knowledge of that, by faith, and praise His Name!

We are His Workmanship!

* He keeps us, as with a garrison of soldiers, or with a circle of thorn bushes. In Christ, Who is the Head of ALL principality and power, might and dominion, we have nothing to fear from Satan or from demonic forces.

God has placed us in Christ,
The victory is won!

Praise His Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

I do have to contest this. I mean it sounds good and all. But the Word says "
Ephesians 6:11
Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
CJB
Use all the armor and weaponry that God provides, so that you will be able to stand against the deceptive tactics of the Adversary.
NIV
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.

God provideded it all. Providing though, does not equate with using it. The Word tells us to put it on. So if YOU do not put it on, it is not on automatically.

This is the armor of God.
14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
CLAIM AND WALK IN RIGHTEOUSNESS

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
WALK IN LOVE IN PEACE

16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
TAKING UP THE SHIELD OF FAITH (CANNOT BE DONE FOR YOU)

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
AGAIN...RECEIVING OR TAKING SALVATION.

18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

ACTIVELY PRAYING, DOING SPIRITUAL WARFARE ETC

Loyal
In our Christian walk, NOTHING is automatic. We actively receive salvation, we are receive healing, we so spiritual warfare for deliverance, we actively pray etc. Nothing is for nothing.

Loyal
I do have to contest this. I mean it sounds good and all. But the Word says "
Ephesians 6:11
Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
CJB
Use all the armor and weaponry that God provides, so that you will be able to stand against the deceptive tactics of the Adversary.
NIV
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.

God provided it all. Providing though, does not equate with using it. The Word tells us to put it on. So if YOU do not put it on, it is not on automatically.

* Hello @Bendito,

You are right, we are told to put God's armour on, but the question being asked is, 'How?' - 'How do I put on the armour of God?'

This a spiritual warfare, and so the armour is spiritual. It can only be put on in faith, by reckoning. There are other instances in God's dealings with us, when reckoning is required, for example we are to reckon ourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God (Rom.6:11). See also Romans 4:3 & 5.

This is the armor of God.
14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
CLAIM AND WALK IN RIGHTEOUSNESS
* Yes, Bendito, but again the breastplate of righteousness is a spiritual reality, even though our walk may not be perfect in regard to righteousness, we can stand upon the reality of the spiritual righteousness that God has, 'imputed' to us. Satan may point the finger at our failure and prevailing sin, in the flesh, but God in His mercy has covered us, and provided His righteousness as our defence. This is appropriated by 'reckoning', or counting on the surety of God's promises, and the sacrificial work of Christ on our behalf.

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
WALK IN LOVE IN PEACE
* The peace with which our feet are to be shod, is the peace which Christ accomplished, not only between God and man, but between Jew and Gentile believers, by nailing the ordinances which were against us to the cross. (Col.2:14). That is something that is done, all that we can do is reckon on it's reality in the spirit.

16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
TAKING UP THE SHIELD OF FAITH (CANNOT BE DONE FOR YOU)
* This faith, is the faith of Christ, which took Him to the cross and bore our sins upon Himself, taking the penalty of death in His own body and dying in our place, It is His faith that we appropriate, by reckoning. So that regardless of the strength and size of our meagre faith in Him, we will always be able to stand victorious.

Praise God!

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
AGAIN...RECEIVING OR TAKING SALVATION.
* The helmet of salvation can only be taken by reckoning for it is a spiritual reality, It guards the mind from the attack of the enemy, which attacks us by calling in question our salvation by grace, points to our failures and endeavours to make us strive to achieve a righteousness of our own which is not by faith, and which would negate the grace position upon which we stand in Christ Jesus. It is only the reckoning of faith which can overcome this, by pointing away to the sacrificial work of our Savioiur.

* The sword of the spirit, is the Spirit's sword, and only He can wield it on our behalf. We, which have the word of God dwelling in us richly, have a storehouse of weaponry ready for the Holy Spirit's use against the enemy of our soul, from both within and without. Again it is put on by reckoning by faith.

Praise His Name!

18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

ACTIVELY PRAYING, DOING SPIRITUAL WARFARE ETC
* Yes, this is an active appropriation of the faith of Christ, but yet we still reckon on the activity both of the Holy Spirit as our Advocate below, and our risen Lord, above, as our Advocate before the Father. For all our prayers are filtered through the operation of these manifestations of Divinity.

In our Christina walk NOTHING is automatic. We actively receive salvation, we are receive healing, we so spiritual warfare for deliverance, we actively pray etc. Nothing is for nothing.
* Salvation is received by the same principle of reckoning by faith though, isn't it, Bendito? It cannot be received any other way, for it is spiritual. We then simply work out in practice, what God Himself has worked in us, by His wondrous grace.

Praise His Holy Name!

Thank you so much, Bendito, for this wonderful opportunity to consider the wonder of the work of grace.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Active
I dont think it matters that its roman or not roman for the israelites had armour before the romans were even around in the old testament...David had it but it was too big for him and Jonathan gave him his own suit of armour.

Also, well with the romans they had the achilles heel, so there's was not bullet proof.

However if we are to fight as we are called to do yes we are to make use of this armour God provides for us.

Loyal
As to putting on the shield of faith, let us consider the words penned by the Apostle Paul:

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Rom 10:17

Administrator
Staff Member
I've updated the original post to correct broken YouTube video links.