• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

how do i know and how can i stop

Thank if you read this and god bless you. I have a problem I have a very bad addiction in the topic of lust I try to stop but I can't its slowely ruining my relationship with my fience and I feel God will never forgive me. I also don't think I'm worthy of heaven I feel God already gave me.chances.to stop but I can't does anyone know how I can get Gods worthyness to heave? God bless.all of you

Loyal
Whenever you feel the desire come upon you, start repeating scripture over and over (out loud or silently) without end, and if you memorize a scripture that speaks strongly to you about the strength of the Lord to help us overcome evil, and use that verse in your repetition, it will help eradicate the desire. But saying it a couple of times wont do it for most, you must continue repeating it dozens, 100's, 1000's of times if needed. It does work brother.

Brad

Brother

Uh! :shock:

Flesh can not overcome flesh.

Rom 7:18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but no ability to carry it out.

Please understand I am not saying memorizing and quoting scripture is a bad thing, but when it comes to overcoming the flesh, that equates to telling a man whose house is burning down that he can put the fire out with his garden hose.

With that understanding, repeating a 'truth' over and over, would only be helpless and vain repetition yes?

Only the Spirit of God can overcome flesh.

There is only one thing a man can do, for there is only one hope for him when the enemy is throwing fiery arrows at his home. He must fall on his face and cry out to God. God is the only one with enough water to put out the raging fires of the flesh.

Rom 7:24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
Rom 7:25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

There was a time that I was there.....I could not within myself control the lustful thoughts

It is only through drawing near to God and being filled with Him.......through the power of the Spirit, that we can overcome

It is a battle, Paul said he had to die daily and so to must we.

We must crucify the flesh again and again.

None of us are worthy of heaven...it is only through Christ's righteousness that we are made worthy. He loves you and died for you.
If we confess our sins, He is faithful to forgive our sins.

You will never find worthiness within yourself. If you keep your focus there, you will fall. Look to Jesus.

Greater is He that is within you than he that is in the world!

Prayer and fasting are powerfull tools.

It would be wise to avoid things that can trigger thoughts....TV shows, internet, places, etc

Loyal
Brad

Brother

Uh! :shock:

Flesh can not overcome flesh.

Rom 7:18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but no ability to carry it out.

Please understand I am not saying memorizing and quoting scripture is a bad thing, but when it comes to overcoming the flesh, that equates to telling a man whose house is burning down that he can put the fire out with his garden hose.

With that understanding, repeating a 'truth' over and over, would only be helpless and vain repetition yes?

Only the Spirit of God can overcome flesh.

There is only one thing a man can do, for there is only one hope for him when the enemy is throwing fiery arrows at his home. He must fall on his face and cry out to God. God is the only one with enough water to put out the raging fires of the flesh.

Rom 7:24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
Rom 7:25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Dear sister... I am a living example of it working. A brother who has a problem with this and is willing to admit it, to not only other brothers, but to all, tells me that he needs real possible solutions, and not just prayers alone. If someone was hungry, you dont just pray for him, you give him any extra food you have. You of course have to follow the garbage in garbage out scenario and avoid letting trashy stuff in, but the lust is still there, regardless of the external input. I personally used Prov 3:5-6, but I am sure there are better ones that give us encouragement specifically for lust problems. You can of course believe I am lying, thats up to you, but it did and still does on occasion help me overcome those desires.

Brother, if you have overcome, it has been nothing less than the power of Christ in you that has given you the ability to do so. I am sorry I cannot endorse chanting...whether its chanting scripture verses or chanting 'Omm' under a tree. If that truly were the solution to our sin, the Jewish Scribes had it made in the shade, for they could quote the whole book.

Christ came to "condemn sin in the flesh" because only He could do it. It is Christ in us that brings sin to its knees and renders it powerless in our lives. It is "not by mans might, not by mans willpower, but by my Spirit says the Lord"

Jas_5:17 "Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly..." there is a key example of where "just prayers alone" are most certainly enough.

Jas 5:16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

Your statement "He needs real possible solutions, and not just prayers alone." is a gross underestimation of the power of prayer.

Staff Member
For God so loved the world He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth on Him should not perish but have everlasting life
John 3:16

Greetings jwaugh1

It is so wonderful that you have come to this forum, I believe that the Lord has led you here.
I notice that you state in your profile that you are not born again
Praise the Lord, this problem with lust has led you to cry out to the Lord....

Jesus loves you so much jwaugh1,
He will accept you just as you are

The Bible
says that all have sinned. No sin is so small it can be overlooked, none too big that it can't be forgiven.
He invites you to come to Him for forgiveness and to save your soul for eternity.

Turn to Him today...He is calling you

Hark! there comes a whisper
Stealing on thine ear:
Tis the Saviour calling,
Soft, soft and clear.

Give thy heart to Me
Once I died for thee
Hark! Hark! thy Saviour calls:
Come, sinner, come!

With that voice so gentle,
Dost thou hear Him say?
Tell Me all thy sorrows;
Come, come away!”

Wouldst thou find a refuge
For thy soul oppressed?
Jesus kindly answers,
I am thy Rest.

At the cross of Jesus,
Let thy burden fall;
While He gently whispers,
I’ll bear it all*

* Fanny Crosby hymn

Last edited:
There is POWER in the Word....

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

The Word increases faith, ..... faith in the power of God to overcome

Just saying the words does nothing, we MUST believe, otherwise repeating nursery rhymes would have the same effect

It is only through faith in Christ that the flesh can be defeated

Loyal
Brother, if you have overcome, it has been nothing less than the power of Christ in you that has given you the ability to do so. I am sorry I cannot endorse chanting...whether its chanting scripture verses or chanting 'Omm' under a tree. If that truly were the solution to our sin, the Jewish Scribes had it made in the shade, for they could quote the whole book.

Christ came to "condemn sin in the flesh" because only He could do it. It is Christ in us that brings sin to its knees and renders it powerless in our lives. It is "not by mans might, not by mans willpower, but by my Spirit says the Lord"

Jas_5:17 "Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly..." there is a key example of where "just prayers alone" are most certainly enough.

Jas 5:16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

Your statement "He needs real possible solutions, and not just prayers alone." is a gross underestimation of the power of prayer.

I wont continue arguing with you. You are free to believe what you will. I live by faith AND works, not just one or the other.

does anyone know how I can get Gods worthyness to heave?

There's nothing you can do on your own to earn your way into heaven. No amount of money, going to church (although going to church isn't a bad thing at all), being nice to people, trying to be a good person or anything else can get you there. The only way is through Jesus. Our forgiveness is through the sacrafice that Jesus made on the cross for us. When He took all the things that we could ever do wrong on Himself and died in our place the price was paid in full. Grace isn't earned it's a gift. All you have to do is accept it. You'll never be able to do it by yourself. The only way to the Father is through the Son. He's out there waiting for you holding out His hand. Just reach out and trust Him and He'll never let you down.

Whenever you feel the desire come upon you, start repeating scripture over and over (out loud or silently) without end, and if you memorize a scripture that speaks strongly to you about the strength of the Lord to help us overcome evil, and use that verse in your repetition, it will help eradicate the desire. But saying it a couple of times wont do it for most, you must continue repeating it dozens, 100's, 1000's of times if needed. It does work brother.

Yes, I agree this can work for me too.
And its definitiley not chanting etc as someone suggested. It gets a verse to overtake the thought and turns thoughts back to God.

For those who say that flesh cannot over come flesh: you are right.
When you say that there isno power in the Word of God, I think you are mistaken. By repeating scripture is that not giving your focus to God and trying to put God at the fore fronts of our thoughts?
Brad did not say to chant, which is to bring inner focus. He is saying to repeat scripture.

Deuteronomy 11:18
Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.

Joshua 1:8
Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

Meditation and keeping the Word on our mouth is what we are called to do. Repeating scripture, or singing worship songs, or delving into the Word. Fellowship. I think if you are truly to overcome any obstacle of the flesh you must give it over to God and trust in Him. One must also follow after Christ and His Word.

For those who say that flesh cannot over come flesh: you are right.
When you say that there isno power in the Word of God, I think you are mistaken. By repeating scripture is that not giving yfocus to God and trying to put God at the fore fronts of our thoughts?
Brad did not say to chant, which is to bring inner focus. He is saying to repeat scripture.

Deuteronomy 11:18
Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.

Joshua 1:8
Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

Meditation and keeping the Word on our mouth is what we are called to do. Repeating scripture, or singing worship songs, or delving into the Word. Fellowship. I think if you are truly to overcome any obstacle of the flesh you must give it over to God and trust in Him. One must also follow after Christ and His Word.

Yes I agree and what Brad suggested is right and he shouldn't have been condemned for it like he was

Coconut is raising the valid point of religious ritual vs relationship with God. I personally believe that Scripture verses can serve as prayers, but, repeadedly firing them off machine gun style could be ritualism and thus not of God. I have found that a growing relationship with God pushed a number of bad behaviors out of my daily life.

SLE

Coconut is raising the valid point of religious ritual vs relationship with God. I personally believe that Scripture verses can serve as prayers, but, repeadedly firing them off machine gun style could be ritualism and thus not of God. I have found that a growing relationship with God pushed a number of bad behaviors out of my daily life.

SLE

I can definitely see the validity in this, but I don't believe it is black and white. It depends on the person and their focus. If they are really taking the words to heart as they say them and are trying to focus on Christ, then I don't see the issue. If it becomes a ritual, sort of like prayer beads, then it is like trying to cast a spell and that is not Christ centered. Going through God's word and having strengthening verses can really help with perspective in time of need.
But as you said this should be in accompaniment with a growing relationship, not a catch all at the end of a day without Christ.