• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

How Can You Love Somebody You Don't Like?

Active
You dont make friends with them, nor hug them every time you see them. You do pray for them, if they are broken down at the side of the highway, you stop and offer assistance. If they invite you to there household, you politely decline.

Active
You dont make friends with them, nor hug them every time you see them. You do pray for them, if they are broken down at the side of the highway, you stop and offer assistance. If they invite you to there household, you politely decline.
After doing all that, why would one decline to visit them?

Active
Three Greek words suffice for love in the New Testament.

One is phileo; a noun which refers to feelings of affection.

Another is agapao; a verb which refers to benevolence.

The last is agape; a noun which consists of both the above,
_

Active
Three Greek words suffice for love in the New Testament.

One is phileo; a noun which refers to feelings of affection.

Another is agapao; a verb which refers to benevolence.

The last is agape; a noun which consists of both the above,
_
So you think that if we do love to somebody we don't like, and pray for them, eventually we will like them too?

Active
Why do you pretend to like them at all? I mean you can still pray for them sincerely, do for them or whatever an not like them.....Would that not make you a hypocrite?
No, its an act of love, love your neighbor as yourself. I am sure if you were broken down by the highway you would appreciate someone stopping to help. Well, do the same for him, even your enemy. Doesnt mean you have to make friends with him, just help fix his car and leave. That is an act of love for mankind.

Loyal
Why do you pretend to like them at all? I mean you can still pray for them sincerely, do for them or whatever an not like them.....Would that not make you a hypocrite?
There is something we call a "benevolent love": and this is what GOD requires.
Genuine love, according to the Bible and centuries of Western thought, is characterized as benevolent. Love is motivated by a desire to do what is in another person's best interest without being poisoned by ulterior motives.

Agape: "The Truth" simple and plain.

There is nothing hard about acting upon another best interest.

It is not that hard, The"Simplicity of Christ"

Active
No, its an act of love, love your neighbor as yourself. I am sure if you were broken down by the highway you would appreciate someone stopping to help. Well, do the same for him, even your enemy. Doesnt mean you have to make friends with him, just help fix his car and leave. That is an act of love for mankind.
Ok How would it make you a hypocrite to go to his house if he invited you? Maybe he's really lonely and...

Active
There is something we call a "benevolent love": and this is what GOD requires.
Genuine love, according to the Bible and centuries of Western thought, is characterized as benevolent. Love is motivated by a desire to do what is in another person's best interest without being poisoned by ulterior motives.

Agape: "The Truth" simple and plain.

There is nothing hard about acting upon another best interest.

It is not that hard, The"Simplicity of Christ"
No argument there....

Loyal
Love is an action. Show those actions of love, no matter how your feelings are, and keep doing those actions until it comes easy. That being said, sometimes it involves not bothering people much until they are "ready" to interact with you is some respectful way. Pushing your love actions that are unwanted by others will only anger them more often than not. Asking the Holy Spirit to help guide you in this will help you to know when to push your love actions and when not to.

Active
After doing all that, why would one decline to visit them?

I have to set healthy boundaries with some people, so my kids are influenced in the right way... there are some people I can't help mental health wise, because I know I will fall back into that world also. One day I hope to be strong enough to go into the darkest places to help.

1 Corinthians 15:33-34- 33Do not be deceived: “Bad company corrupts good morals.” 34Sober up [n]morally and stop sinning, for some have no knowledge of God. I say this to your shame.

Loyal
Matthew 25:34 Then shall the King say to them on his right, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the world’s foundation:
25:35 for I was hungry, and ye gave me to eat; I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink; I was a stranger, and ye took me in;
25:36 naked, and ye clothed me; I was sick, and ye visited me; I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Active
Matt 5:44 . . But I tell you: Love your enemies

Matt 22:39 . . Love your neighbor as yourself.

Eph 5:25 . . Husbands, love your wives

The Greek verb for "love" in all three of those passage is agapao (ag-ap-ah'-o)
which normally does not express affection. It's simply benevolence, e.g. courtesy,
kindness, civility, generosity, graciousness, pity, loyalty, sympathy, lenience,
tolerance, and deference, etc.

Anybody of any age, race, gender, religious and/or political preference can easily
practice agapao because it only requires behavior rather than feelings.

For example: I'm not particularly fond of North Korea's Kim Jong-Un; in point of
fact I quite despise the man. But were I to meet and/or greet him in person, I
would treat him with respect; though he certainly does not deserve it.

This same principle applies to men trapped in marriages that have lost that
"luvin' feeling". He cannot let the coldness of the relationship moderate his
manners but must remain civil with his wife; though at times it may require
an Herculean effort to do so.
_

Last edited:
Loyal
Romans 12:9 Let the love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cleave to what is good.
Rom 12:10 In brotherly love tenderly affectioned one to another; in honour preferring one another;
Rom 12:11 in diligence not slothful; fervent in the spirit; serving the Lord;
Rom 12:12 rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing steadfastly in prayer;
Rom 12:13 communicating to the needs of the saints; pursuing hospitality.
Rom 12:14 Bless the persecutors; bless, and curse not.
Rom 12:15 Rejoice with the rejoicing; weep with the weeping.
Rom 12:16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Set not your mind on the high things, but condescend to the lowly. Become not wise in your own eyes.
Rom 12:17 Render to none evil for evil. Take thought for things honourable in sight of all men.
Rom 12:18 If possible, as much as in you is, be at peace with all men.

Active
John 3:16 . . For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten son,
that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

The Greek verb for "loved" in that passage is conjugated from agapao; which,
according to post No.15, doesn't necessarily express affection. In other words:
though God pities the world, that doesn't necessarily mean that He's fond of the
world. In point of fact, Gen 6:7 testifies that God regrets the world's creation
_

Loyal
Charlie-love-2.png