• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Horror Movies & Christians? Don't sound right

I am very curious and would like to know, if watching horror movies when your a christian is ok...There is alot of christian people i know who like watching violent movies or horror movies with so much violence in it. Now i have been a born again christian for almost two years now, and ever since i became a christian, i cannot stand watching anything that comes close to horror or explicit violence. Not only does Jesus teach us to stay pure and keep our minds pure by staying away from things that pollute our minds and keep it away from God - My question is: Why do some christians indulge in watching such revolting things? Do some christians maybe have a stronger mind / spirit? Please let me know what you think? I need some answers....

God Bless

I do not, would not, absolutely not go to observe such.

Does not the Master teach that " we are the temples of the Holy Ghost" Is that not clear enough. Well it is for me.

If we desire the blessing of God, if we desire His guidence in life, if we desire His Fatherhood...........We have to submit to the teachings of home. That would be the Fathers House, and the Fathers book "Holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost"

God Bless

I really dislike horror films, and do not believe that they are at all a simple entertainment diversion. Not when they are filled with bad language, and scenes of gore and suchlike.

I do worry about friends I have who seem to really enjoy these sorts of films. I can't see the appeal at all, I feel that they are closely associated with evil and encourage it. I suppose I can see that, whereas they don't believe in evil in the same manner.

personaly i do not like horror films, it effects me in a bad way. but i would have thought that if you wernt effected badly by them then it would be ok...

My personal belief is that God is totally opposed against such films.

What is the ponit of a horror flick? The answer is death.

Exodus 20:13
13 "You shall not murder.

Psalm 97:10-11
10 Let those who love the LORD hate evil,
for he guards the lives of his faithful ones
and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.

11 Light is shed upon the righteous
and joy on the upright in heart.

Proverbs 8:12-14
12 "I, wisdom, dwell together with prudence;
I possess knowledge and discretion.

13 To fear the LORD is to hate evil;
I hate pride and arrogance,
evil behavior and perverse speech.

14 Counsel and sound judgment are mine;
I have understanding and power.

Romans 12:9-10
9Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

All scripture posted is from the New International Version.

The main thing to remember is that God won't condone death and violence, did Jesus come with a message of death for pleasure, no, He came to teach us that it's wrong.

We must live in eternal life, not eternal death. Eternal life is achieved on earth as well as in heaven,

John 17:3
3Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

God bless, stay away from those films, please!

horror movies

After reading your thread, I believe the number one reason we should not go to horror movies is because it instills fear into us. According to Timothy, God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

When we willingly subject ourselves to violent and objectionable material we are destroying our soulish realm. Rom 12: 1-2 tells us not to be conformed to this world. We do this by renewing our minds. What we put into our minds, paints pictures and why have a horror film or a movie filled with filth dominate our thinking? The more you expose yourself with horror the more your thought life will be dominated with this type of behavior. It also causes you to grow callous toward violent acts and over time you will need to see more graphic violence and horror to fulfill what ever you get out of these types of movies.

When I was 14 years old I went with friends to a double movie night. Both movies were horror movies. One was the Tales of the crypt and the Mark of the devil. I vowed never to go to those types of movies again. I am now 51 and have not seen these types of movies since that day. It took years for some of the gruesome images to leave my thought life and the fear it introduced into my life took time to fade away. So, my opinion is as Christians we should never expose ourselves to these types of films.

God bless you,

Trucker

Besides the spiritual truths, I don’t know why people want to watch horror movies

Personally it doesn’t give me a sense, why would somebody want to watch horror movie and end up on scared of darkness and so on……..

I had a friend when I was in India and she likes watching horror movies in the night and when the movie gets over she will be very scared even to switch of the light and go to bed, she has to call her mom to take her to bed.

Hmm, I actaully like horror. But I hate violence and I'm one of those people who cover my eyes when a violent scene appears. (I'm actually anti-violent and am offended by real violence on the streets). However I like to be a little scared every now and then. I don't base any of my values or morals on it. I don't feel that it is going against God to be lightly entertained in this nature but maybe I'm wrong? I never feel like I'm sinning when I watch them.

Hey, there is one thing I definatly draw limits on. Any sacreligious or blasphemy genre. For instance, I cannot and will not watch any sort of exorcism movies.

p.s. I like the Dean Koontz books :)

Hi mouse, remember, horror is evil, evil is bad. We won't live a fruitful life by conforming to the world. Read my post above, the Bible speaks for itself.

God bless

Actually, I think they have a weaker mind, not a stronger one. It takes a better mind to know enough to avoid things that you may even think may be borderline behavior, rather than to dive in and then find out it is off limits the hard way. Didn't Jesus himself say in the Lord's Prayer, "...and lead us not into temptation"?

Hey:) Thankyou so much for assissting me, i really do appreciate it. It makes a whole lot sense now - it's just been bugging me. I have peace about it now:) God Bless you all:)

Love in Christ

i use to love horror films and would watch them every weekend ,i loved being scared
Since i became a christian i cant stand them and have done my best to ban them from the house ,but my partner loves them so he will watch them when im not home
There have been films out over the past few months i simpley refuesed to allow him watch in our home
They are wrong very wrong God would not want us to fill our heads and thoughts with such hate and horrors
Everything in these films ,God hates ,so why should we as christians submit oursleves to them

I asked this question on Gotquestions.org, and I didn't know I had received the answer, it was noted as spam. I think this is a pretty good answer.

The question was
Is it acceptable to God to watch violent and or horror films?

Answer: For a Christian, the question is not so much "is watching this movie a sin?" but "is this something that Jesus would want me to do?" The Bible tells us that many things are permitted, but not all things are beneficial or constructive (1 Corinthians 10:23). It also says that whatever we say or do (or watch) should be done to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31). We are to put our mind on things that are noble and pure (Philippians4:8). If - and this is a big if - we can watch a movie or TV program that contains questionable content AND still be in agreement with these commands from the Bible, I do not see a wrong in this.

The danger lies in (1) how what we are watching affects our heart and (2) how it affects others. For ourselves, if the scene we see brings a feeling of lust, anger, or hatred, then we have sinned (Matthew 5:22,28). For others, it can be a stumbling block to someone that is struggling with a habit or behavior that is coming between them and God (1 Corinthians 10:25-33, Romans 14:13). As members of the body of Christ we are to be a light to the world (Matthew 5:14) and an holy example of what God has done in our life (1 Peter 2:11,12).

So how do we know for sure what is beneficial? When we become a follower of Christ we are given His Holy Spirit to live in us (Acts 2:38, 2 Timothy 1:14). Jesus tells us that this Spirit will guide us in the truth (John 16:13). One way God's Spirit guides us is by our conscience (Romans 1:12, 9:1). If your conscience is telling you that what you are watching is wrong, it probably is.

Isn't it interesting how different folks look at things differently?!

Wondering "What is acceptable for Christians to do?" is an ongoing debate, but truly knowing whether or not an activity or substance is on the side of light or darkness is already known in everyone's heart. Asking "What would Jesus do?" or "Would I feel comfortable if Jesus was watching?", He is by the way, seem to be asked by us when we already know there's some problem with it. If we know in our hearts that what we're doing is "in the light", then we just proceed.

Is what I'm doing helpful or good in my walk with my Lord? If not, why do it???

Hi all,

I used to love horror movies because of the fright factor actually (where you don't know who's going to die next, or where the killer or ghost will suddenly appear out of the dark, and you're hoping that all the characters will make it after being chased by the "evil"). But when I became a Christian and started becoming stronger, I soon realized that it wasn't right. God opened my eyes, and I realized that watching horror movies was opening the door to evil. Especially in some movies when they start repeating chants and you're wondering if it is actually summoning evil spirits into your living room. A lot of people say it's just a movie, but that's how the devil works, by disguising his evil works in such a way. There is a spiritual warfare going on, and the devil will use any means possible to enter your life. I truly hope that people, especially those who are Christians become more discerning the next time they decide whether to watch a horror movie or not.

Godbless!

Re: Horror Movies & Christians???

I tend to lump horror stories and mysteries into the same genre and I believe that there are "good" horror/mystery films in circulation, films that have no gratuitous sex or violence.

For instance, there have been film dramatizations of the works of great mystery writers like Dorothy L. Sayers and Agatha Christie. And, still in TV re-runs, we have "Columbo", the fictional Los Angeles Police lieutenant who never saw a mystery he could'nt solve. These were all well written, skillfully produced and beautifully acted stories.

My point is that there are still "good" horror/mystery movies in circulation. You just have to step away from mainstream TV & Hollywood to find them.

SLE

I don't really even like going to movies anymore, not even like non-horror, but any where people die. Sometimes I go with my parents to spend some time with them, but every time someone dies in a movie I can't help but think: "And now they are in hell".

It makes me laugh when I think about it now, but actually being in a theater and watching movies at all has a big effect on me anymore. My favorite movie used to be Fight Club, before I was saved, so I definitely notice a difference in this aspect of my life. Generally I hate television and always have, but I did used to love movies until I became a Christian. I can't even imagine watching horror films anymore, although I did used to enjoy them. I remember one year at my cousins house in AZ watching all 10 of the Friday the 13th movies in about 2 days, and then watching Halloween 1-5 followed by some others. I think I will always have some of those images in my head.

One Idea that pops into my head (as an ex actor-puppteer) is how Vincent Price stopped making horror flicks because he insisted that it had all changed. It used to be thing likes the villian popping out unexpectedly and that sort of thing, but it has changed to all the blood and gore, torture, foul language and way too much evil. So even Mr. Price quit in disgust.

oh no . . .I dont like horror movies. . .since so many ppl like them though . . .I thought I would have to overcome my sissifear and watch one. . .HORRORFYING! I wont do that again . . .how stupid to follow the crowds mind I never watch one again . . WHY i ask you??? Why would you wanna watch one??? :love: Its not any good for your heart you know May God take that desire AWAY and refill your heart with love and peace and joy :love: :star: sorry for being so simple

Re: Horror Movies & Christians(????)

:lightbulb ; Horror films can do damage to our minds without us knowing through what is known as "Subliminal Messaging". You can check out Subliminal Messaging through the American Psychological Association.

"Subliminal Messages" are messages that slip in under the radar of our conscious mind, lodge in the subliminal part of our brain and influence our conscious thought unbeknownst to us.

SLE