• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Home school or Public/private school which is better ?

Home school or Public/private school which is better ?

• I prefer Home school

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • I prefer Public/private school

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Does not matter

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
Active
Grace and Peace

I don't have any kids ( yet ) but I've decided never to allow my kids in public school.

Society would argue that a home school child lacks social skills, I disagree. There's a home school community and parents organize field trips and educational outings for their kids. Secondly your kids are already socializing with friends and family.

Let me know the reasons to your vote.

The advantages and disadvantage.

There's no right or wrong answer, parenting is personal.

i went to public and a lutheran private school and there are christians and none christians in both. the only difference is in private school i studied the bible alot, im very glad i went to that school for a few years.

my little brother and sister were home schooled and are now 19 and 20, and have ALOT of friends. they are very social people and are liked very much by there coworkers and employers, there already moving up in there companys. my parents did an awesome job i must say. i will personally never put my kids(when i have some lol) in a public school. but if they have a strong relationship with God it would probably be fine. but if they dont then no way. same for a christian private school as they can be just as bad of an influence. jus t concentrate on spending lots of time with God and your kids and they will be fine.

Last edited:
I go to a public school, my friend is home schooled.
If I could do everything again, I wish I had a parent
that home schooled me. No matter what schools
do, bullying will always be around, and when it's reported,
my schools NEVER did anything about it, except tell me
to grow a thicker skin and called us BOTH in the same
office to talk about it. That only made things worse.

The work in school is really busy work, and
when I dual enrolled in both high school and college
courses, I found that college was so much better
because they gave you the practice necessary and nothing more.
Teachers at my school aren't too fond of taking the time
to give students one on one time, and I could have had
that if I were home schooled like my friend. And the fact
that his mom is always home gives him much time for
tutoring, so he has always gotten straight A's.

If I had a choice, I would want to be homeschooled.
As for my future children...I am not sure.
Maybe private school.

Well im only 14 but i went to public school from the start and i found it hard to learn in primary school due to the fact that i had impaired hearing and so...the teacher decided to put me at the BACK of the classroom?
I also had problems with people at school...being verbally abusive..caling me names...and so on. The primary school i went to also was a "catholic" school...and had a teacher there secertly teaching evolution to my little brothers class (which my dad got...REALLY annoyed with) and then changed the subject the instant the head master came in the room.

My high school was no better...as there here different people there (asians, chinese and so on) so there where security guards all over the school during and after school (there where bout 3 physical fights between races within the first week on me starting high school. The teachers there were also hard to talk to as they had their mind on other kids. Plus if one person did something wrong the WHOLE class had detention (i had been in quite a few detentions bout 90% of them not even my fault)

I have now been homeschooled for bout...nearly 3 years and i am LOVING it...i mix well with other kids...i will admit i am SERIOUSLY shy...but once im up and talking im fine lol. Plus being homeschooled if im stuck on something i dont have to wait half the lesson to find out the simplest of things, no fights, no wrong teachings and best of all...no teachers to give you detentions for no reason.

All in all...i prefer homeschooling...and (if i ever have kids in the future) i would gladly homeschool them as i personally think public school is a bad enviroment and can be a really bad place for a chirstian to be involved with.

But that is MY OWN opinion :)

Xxx kirsty xxX

oh yeah, the differance in the education between pubic and private school was amazing. my parents put me back in public school in the 10th grade after being in private for 3 years. i basically gave up and got bad grades through high school because i thought to myself why try, i learned all this stupid stuff already in private school. a mistake i see now but i was young and dumb.

Last edited:
my grades went DOWN while i was in high school...i was level 5 in science, 4 in maths and 3 in english...i was really good at sciece at school and went up a bit..but everything else went downhill..but im doing much better now im homeschooled

I went to public schools and my son goes to one too. My BFF home schools her kids, but now the oldest is in high school. I guess it really depends on the child's needs and the parent. Some school systems are better than others and that may play a factor in public or home schooling too. I knew friends that went to some public school and later to a Christian school. I often wondered what it would have been like to attend a Christian school. Thankfully, while I was still in school, we were allowed to have Christian school organizations and publicly pray. So sad you can't do that in many schools today.

I'd prefer a Christian private school containing about 10-45 kids, or a medium sized Private school of about 80-120 kids with a kind of JROTC program. Homeschooling doesn't sound too bad, but that being said, considering I had to go on social security at the age of 19, I'm kinda glad I wasn't home-schooled. A Public school isn't too bad if you get as good one, but most aren't nearly as good as they should be.

Loyal
In a family situation where one of the parents can stay home, home schooling is best for the parent to provide the best education from a SPIRITUAL point of view. Now if you want your child to make lots of money and understand the ways of the world better, then public school is the way to go.

Grace and Peace

I don't have any kids ( yet ) but I've decided never to allow my kids in public school.

Society would argue that a home school child lacks social skills, I disagree. There's a home school community and parents organize field trips and educational outings for their kids. Secondly your kids are already socializing with friends and family.

Let me know the reasons to your vote.

The advantages and disadvantage.

There's no right or wrong answer, parenting is personal.

With our son, who is now 16, holds a full time job at a parts store and is going to enroll in the community college this year, his best fit for who he is was homeschool. Public school would not have given the opportunities to develop his own natural skills, talents and interests. Simply not enough hours in the day for it all.

Our daughter who is more bent on traditional schooling..like academics, sit down paper and pencil type person, a Christian private school is the best option for her. Where our son is more independant and able to "do his own thing", her natural abilities is more involved with people, and she loves being in groups etc.

Even though our son is very involved with his own youth group, and has a good base of friends, he would rather be off working on a vehicle or up in the mountains. A quiet kid, but one who will stand against what he sees as wrong with extreem zeal...which would probably catch him in some very hot water in a public or private school setting. Working in real life with a variety of ages has calmed that tendency of "go with gusto" against anything that is wrong. It has helped him be able to deal with issues in a more mature manner than he would have learned behind 4 walls learning Shakespear.

I see the scripture "Train up a child in the way they should go" a bit differently than most. If we work with the kids within their natural abilities, interests, etc, then they actually will remember the lessons learned. Our job as parents is to create the environment most suited to the way each individual learns, and to use that for practical learning as well as spiritual learning. That takes more effort for some than others, just like God works with each person where they are at, so parents should model that for theirs kids.

I would have voted home school, but the career that i've chosen would not allow that. Maybe if I do get married and my husband has a career that allows a more lenient schedule. I went to a private catholic school(Neither myself nor my family are catholic, but the school had a very good reputation) and then changed to a public school. I would have to say there is a great deal of difference in relation to faith studies and in general school activites. For example in the private school I went to, we prayed 'In Jesus name' every morning when we had an assembly; we prayed when we had our meals and we were not taught evolution(we could read about it outside of school hours, but it was not part of the syllabus). In the private school I attended, only Christian religious studies was taught; in the public school I went to they taught Budhism, Hinduism, Islam....etc etc. It seemed like the main aim of the religious studies was 'acceptance of all religious faiths and doctrines as correct and equal pathways to God'. At some point my father wanted to withdraw me from these religious studies lessons because he was very angry that they were teaching his daughter "all that junk". Thank God for my parents' prayers because although at some point I strayed away from the one true God, Jehovah, I found my way back and not a moment too soon.

All in all, I voted for private school(a Christian one); but if I get married and have children and it is possible for me to hire tutors to homeschool my children and I believe these tutors can give my children a good education and not try to lead them astray, I might just do that.

Sending your kid to home school deprives them of so much social interaction, yes there is alot of bad pressures in public school but its your responsabilty to bring up your child in Christ and be a spiritual leader for them. Trying to protect them from the world for 18 years makes no sense. I think christian parents should send their kids to some kind of school outside the home.

Sending your kid to home school deprives them of so much social interaction, yes there is alot of bad pressures in public school but its your responsabilty to bring up your child in Christ and be a spiritual leader for them. Trying to protect them from the world for 18 years makes no sense. I think christian parents should send their kids to some kind of school outside the home.

That really is a common problem with many home school families. The view is that if they are not ever around the things of the world then they will not go the way of the world. That is a fallacy that backfires alot when those kids turn 18 and have to deal with the real college life or real work life situations that they have not been trained in beforehand.

So, what is the answer to those things? Should we throw a 5 year old to the wolves of public school for 40 hrs a day and allow them to be doctrinated with no chance of parents knowing what is said so they can train their children to take a stand against those things? That really does not seem like a good option. Or if you are not active in the Christian school they are being placed in, then they also can be indoctrinated with bad doctrines as well. The answer is in the mindset of the parents. Protect from the world, or train to stand up against the wrongs, evils etc. That training can come from homeschooling the kids. Here's what that can look like...

Make sure the kids have public school friends. Let them play with kids in the neighborhood, church youth groups, sports programs, 4H, Boy Scouts, etc. That alone will give enough situations, and questions for parents to show how to live by a Christian world view. Remember that it does not take emersing them into the cesspool of public school for 40+ hrs a week, but giving them enough dirt in small amounts to practice how to stay clean when they do have to walk through their own life.

Public school could only be an option for our family, or Christian school for that matter, if I (because the other half is the bread winner) was very active in that school, or had a child that was very open and vocal with communicating the situations etc of their day in order for our influence to be what helps them grow. Who ever the kids are around the most is who's views they will end up with. If the views of the school, or the views of the group they are around the most do not line up with a Christian world view, then either remove them from the situation, or get super involved in the place they are being educated so they can see how to stand up for what they believe in a hostile place.

Homeschooling allows the time for parents with their kids to train them up into a Christian worldview. Not by excluding all other worldviews, but by examining those things in a way that is not presented as truth. Those issues are taken, and then shown by study and real life examples why they are false. After several years of slower drip training like that, then public school may be an option for high school...only don't expect the homeschool kid to last long. Not because they cannot handle it, but because the educators cannot handle them and their independant, non-conformity, and non-political correct way of speech and action.

My niece is home schooled and is doing very well. This schooling gives her one on one time with the teacher which is her mom and in she feels no stress like she would in a class room. Also she isn't in the public school atmosphere where there can be bullying and things going on and she isn't learning the ways of the world. I don't agree with alot of the things kids are learning in public school these days, so Im glad my niece is home schooled and her little brother will be too. If they would of had it when I was kid I would of been home schooled in a heart beat.

I have been homeschooled all my life, and i love it! I am one of 12 so my parents have there reasons for homeschooling...but i really enjoy it! i am really involved with the 4-H club in our county, an that helps me get out there. I don't really consider any of my family members "socially awkward" but i have known some homeschoolers who were "less then experienced" in the social department. I think it all depends on who’s raising you. My parents were never over protective and let me make my on decisions and mistakes instead of trying to protect me from the world! I specifically like homeschooling because i can go at my own pace and if I know that there is something that needs more work I can spend more time on that subject.

I go to a really small charter school (which is a little different than public), and there are a lot of unbiblical things taught. It's not a good atmosphere for people who don't know God personally and are impressionable. But I think that with a solid foundation created at home, you can easily go to school and still be strong in your faith. However when I interact or talk to friends from other schools it's a much more negative answer. So I think overall it would depend on the school the children are going to, and of course ultimately, the parent's conscience and belief.

"We homeschool our children."

"But, aren't you concerned about their socialization?"

"Yes, that's why we homeschool them."

Matthew 5:14-16
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

There is no minimum or maximum age, in the Bible, to practice this. In whatever situation we find ourselves in, we are obliged to let our light shine.

Who will spread the Good News in the schools if we all put our kids into private Christian Schools or Home School them?

I have four kids, who ALL went to public school, and none of them are any worse for wear.

Grace and peace,

AMEN! Just had this conversation today and other days with many people.
Great thing to understand about the world with live in.

But, before I answer.

Do you ask because you worry only of your kids ability to communicate in society??
Or do you worry for spiritual reasons as a Christian??
Or both??

Grace and peace

Staff Member
Our children go to a private Christian school.
They have daily devotions at school and Christian studies.
There are firm boundaries for uniform....skirt length, no make-up, no jewelry etc

I did try home schooling but it was not a success

The Lord will lead families into prayerfully making the right decision.....whats right for some isn't right for others
The Lord knows what is best for each individual

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths
Proverbs 3:5-6