• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Holy Spirit

Do you Believe in being Baptised by the Holy Spirit and speaking in toungues

• Yes!!

Votes: 59 44.7%
  • no

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • yes, but you dont have to speak in toungues

Votes: 65 49.2%

• Total voters
I used to go to a church that really emphasised speaking in tongues. A lady I met there told me that I should go home and practice, so I sat on the toilet and garbled and burbled and carried on... but it didn't feel right. It felt like I was forcing it, so I stopped. I decided that if it was going to happen than God was going to have to hit me with it. I'm open... I just want it to be God, not me pretending. :thumbs_do

i do and i have ever since i was born again. not every one speaks in tounges and thats fine...it doesn't make them any less of a christian. Its just something to seek God for and its just another step in a persons faith...

if one asks about speaking in tounges, one must also ask about the spiritual gifts that are given to those of us who are baptized in the Holy Spirit. Being baptized in this way is one thing that helps us to serve out of the empowerment of God Himself and not of our own power.

those of us who move in these gifts desire that all would move as such because the Lord is highly glorified when the Spirit of God moves upon His people...i have never known a heathen to move in the gifts of the Holy Spirit. i don't think that could happen...

Mmj

I do believe in speaking in tounges. Its one of the gifts that Jesus gives you if you ask for it. I believe that you can speak tongues because I asked for the gift and now I speak in tongues when I am in the Spirit and sometimes I don't realize that it's not english. I guess I just get really caught up in the spirit. Its Great!!!

Mmj said:
I do believe in speaking in tounges. Its one of the gifts that Jesus gives you if you ask for it. I believe that you can speak tongues because I asked for the gift and now I speak in tongues when I am in the Spirit and sometimes I don't realize that it's not english. I guess I just get really caught up in the spirit. Its Great!!!
Readers please note ''can speak in tongues'' it's your choice to take this part of the present that is Jesus, or the whole. To fortify yourself, to guide you in praying in English, as a tool against the enemy when he's on the attack, to guide you when praying for someone, to release you fellings & tune in to Him..

Rahni said:
I used to go to a church that really emphasised speaking in tongues. A lady I met there told me that I should go home and practice, so I sat on the toilet and garbled and burbled and carried on... but it didn't feel right. It felt like I was forcing it, so I stopped. I decided that if it was going to happen than God was going to have to hit me with it. I'm open... I just want it to be God, not me pretending. :thumbs_do
Rahni,

I got saved and baptised in the Holy Spirit 22 years ago. I was also told to just kerep trying and it would come. So, every night for about two weeks, I practiced and finally, it came. I was practicing one night (and getting frustrated) when it suddenly flowed out of me like lava being belched out of a volcano.

I've had much good Bible teaching in that 22 years that showed me that I do not have to speak in tongues to prove anything to anybody. "Tongues" is a gift from God. It is not something to be used by man to prove something.

So, keeap on practicing for your prayer language. It will come.

SLE

I believe in speaking in toungues and a out pouring of Gods Spirit upon believers (i dont know if i would call it baptism in the Spirit....which to me implys the Holy Spirit does not dwell with the believer at the point of conversion).

I do not believe everyone can speak in toungues but only those God has given that gift to. It can be used as a prophetic gift (when interpretated) so its important that those who have it develop the gift.

One thing that doesnt sit well with me is the over emphasis placed on this gift today, i think all gifts are important and should be nurtured not just this one.

Yes, but I believe so many people today have took speaking in tongue out of context of the Bible and made it a joke. I believe if we're to speak in tongues and God gives us that gift we must do it the way Paul tells the church of Corin to do it.

Administrator
Staff Member
I believe in speaking in toungues and a out pouring of Gods Spirit upon believers (i dont know if i would call it baptism in the Spirit....which to me implys the Holy Spirit does not dwell with the believer at the point of conversion).

I do not believe everyone can speak in toungues but only those God has given that gift to. It can be used as a prophetic gift (when interpretated) so its important that those who have it develop the gift.

One thing that doesnt sit well with me is the over emphasis placed on this gift today, i think all gifts are important and should be nurtured not just this one.

I agree brother Will.

1 Corinthians 12:3-11

3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.
4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same[a] Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

WOW that's crazy that she told you to "practice". You can't practice what comes from God supernaturally! It's like "practicing" to be a prophet!

Don't sweat it. Some people can; some people can't. If someone can't, it doesn't mean they are less of a Christian

I am not arguing this, however, I have seen so many folks that 'speak in tongues' and yet the bible clearly tells us that it should be translated for the edification of the body.
Now I know that speaking in tongues can and may still happen, but from my study I am lead to believe that this was granted for a period of time when it was need to get the church rooted and their footing strong. They did not have the bible as we do today and so this was a miracle they could say
" I know this happened" and spread the word.
I could be wrong and I accept that. But thot I would share what I am seeing.

I believe that the spiritual gifts in 1 Corinthians are still valid today, but misused quite a bit.
I've seen on television rooms filled with people speaking in tongues, except the bible is clear
that only two or three should speak and only with an interpreter. I believe that the gift is
still given, but it's up to the one who receives the gift to use it biblically.

If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let
one interpret. But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak
to himself and to God. 1 Cor 14:27-28 (NKJV)

Last edited:
Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues
Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Jesus said that after we believe, these signs shall follow, which includes speaking with new tongues. When I received Jesus and my Lord and Saviour, it was about week later I was speaking in new tongues. I only use it for private prayer and speaking to God though.

Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues
Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

I have a question regarding this scripture. Does this mean that every believer can do all these things? Paul says not in 1 Corinthians:

But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.
1 Cor 12:7-11 (NKJV)

This seems to speak that there are different gifts given to different people as God sees fit. Now, I have never spoken in tongues, nor have I felt moved by God to try. But I don't think that should make me question whether or not I'm saved. I think that I should pray to be used of God no matter what spiritual gifts He's given me.

When we are saved we are baptized into Christ and into the Spirit at the same time and then we do the ordinance of baptism in obedience and as an outward sign of what happened on the inside.

Please see my message on tongues on SermonCentral since I can't attach a file or post a link.

1. Some of it is merely emotional.
2. Some of it is a taught response.
3. Some of it is a vain repetition.
4. Some of it is demonic.
5. Much of it is disorderly or indecent.
6. Much of it lacks interpretation and thus unbiblical.
7. Many churches that claim to have the gift hold to other heretical doctrines.
8. If it is taught as a sign of salvation or special holiness it is unbiblical.
9. If it is anything but a human language it is unbiblical.
10. If the person loses control of himself it is unbiblical.

Those are very good points, Brother MavMin. If it isn't any trouble could you send me the link to your sermons? I couldn't find them on the site.

God Bless

When we are saved we are baptized into Christ and into the Spirit at the same time and then we do the ordinance of baptism in obedience and as an outward sign of what happened on the inside.

Please see my message on tongues on SermonCentral since I can't attach a file or post a link.

1. Some of it is merely emotional.
2. Some of it is a taught response.
3. Some of it is a vain repetition.
4. Some of it is demonic.
5. Much of it is disorderly or indecent.
6. Much of it lacks interpretation and thus unbiblical.
7. Many churches that claim to have the gift hold to other heretical doctrines.
8. If it is taught as a sign of salvation or special holiness it is unbiblical.
9. If it is anything but a human language it is unbiblical.
10. If the person loses control of himself it is unbiblical.

Can you explain how those men in Ephesus were believers and yet hadn't even heard there was a HolySpirit? Acts 19:1-6

Do you speak in tongues or interpret tongues?

Last edited:
Yes, they believed John the Baptist's message and were in a sense enhanced OT believers and would have died and went to Heaven but when they heard the rest of the story they got saved, born again and were baptized into Christ and His Church. The Church was not born until Acts 2 so anyone who believed before then and died without hearing the rest of the story would have been saved much like OT believers who looked forward to the Messiah instead of NT believers who looked to Him then and us who in a sense look backward.

I don't know if it is the storm outside or what but I kept getting kicked out so I am doing this in two steps.

In the way tongues is being taught today no I do not speak nor interpret. I have spoke some French, German, Spanish, Thai and Greek and done some interpretation so in that sense I have spoke in tongues and while this is an example of what biblical tongues is about I do not have the gift of tongues.

Last edited:
If you will add this after the www sermoncentral . com you can get to my message on this topic.

sermon.asp?SermonID=37815