• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Hiya

Hiya peeps.
I'm Laura, I'm 16 years old from England. I have been a Christian for 5 years and go to my local methodist church. I love the people in my church but they are very traditional, nothing wrong with that but you can only sing so many old hymns. We have got a worship group (they let us sing one song every sunday-wahoo.) The only problem is they (the elderly peeps) wont let us move on. Our congregation is full of older people and they believe that it's their church and they should have it run how they want it. We don't have a youth worker in our circuit which is really sad. Well we supposedly have one but he's 64!!!! I pray and pray for one to come along. My mum met the dude that is incharge of getting those sort of people in kwik save today and he didn't seem at all interested in getting a youth worker. I really pray that one day we will have one. In our church we are losing out young peope. We had 12 now we have 7... eep!!! It's very sad but we're still going with the people we have.
Anyway there's my little bit about my church!!! Nothing interesting but I believe God's keeping me there for a reason!
God Bless
Laura
xxxxx

Man I'm sorry to hear that, the Youth of Today are the ones running the Churches tomorrow. We are adults need to focus on that. My husband and I are strong supporters of the Youth, we personally get involved because we believe in the kids and their potential. We won't have a church of tomorrow if there are no youth. Maybe you want to ask the pastor what will happen when all the elderly folks have gone home to their heavenly Father, who will sit in the pews then if the youth are all gone? How will the Church survive?
Maybe you can get together with the ones who do the worship and meet with them outside of Sunday for some praise and worship. I love all the new worship songs of today and I love singing them in church.
All the best Laura. Don't give up.
Michele

John_3.16 said:
Hiya peeps.
I'm Laura, I'm 16 years old from England. I have been a Christian for 5 years and go to my local methodist church. I love the people in my church but they are very traditional, nothing wrong with that but you can only sing so many old hymns. We have got a worship group (they let us sing one song every sunday-wahoo.) The only problem is they (the elderly peeps) wont let us move on. Our congregation is full of older people and they believe that it's their church and they should have it run how they want it. We don't have a youth worker in our circuit which is really sad. Well we supposedly have one but he's 64!!!! I pray and pray for one to come along. My mum met the dude that is incharge of getting those sort of people in kwik save today and he didn't seem at all interested in getting a youth worker. I really pray that one day we will have one. In our church we are losing out young peope. We had 12 now we have 7... eep!!! It's very sad but we're still going with the people we have.
Anyway there's my little bit about my church!!! Nothing interesting but I believe God's keeping me there for a reason!
God Bless
Laura
xxxxx

Dear Laura,

Its tough. We all want our churches to follow the same ministries that work for other churches but the elderly, which makes up most of the congregation at your church were at one time new believers and look at what God has done in their lives. And one day many may not be there when your youth of seven will one day lead with a worship team playing more contemporary praise songs.

We believe God does have you there for a reason, Laura, to be a voice for the youth with a new direction at your church.
Please read and meditate on 1 Corinthians 3:5:15 "As the Lord has assigned each his task, Appolos watered it, but God made it grow." You may be Appolo here.

There is a process of equipping volunteers and new ministries but will only suggest four:

1. Vision Laura, see if you can gather the 7 youth and worship team and develop a mission, "Where are we going with the future of our worship team?" Pray, pray, and pray. Please be patient.

2. Mission Statement What is this ministry? What is God's calling? At church? Out reach to the community? Pray, pray, and pray. Please be patient.

3. Objective Where is God in all this? The worship team is a ministry! Can we reach out to new believers? Praise music, hymns, gathers the whole congregation for worship! Pray, pray, and pray. Please be patient.

4. Action Plan Determine the steps needed to attain your goal. Present this on paper to your pastor. Ask pastor to pray, pray, and pray with you to seek God's time in this exciting new ministry. Will more young believers be led to your church? Please be patient.

Pastor knows that there has to be preparation for a new generation, to make spiritual decisions, and lead in God's church. Change is inevitable.

God bless you, Laura, and for sharing.

Your brother in Christ Jesus.

Last edited:
You Do It !

Hey Laura ... Big Brother Calling . Sounds Like You Have The Vision For The Group ... So - Start The Group ! You And You're Friends Get Together And Rock For Jesus . Have A Blast ... Big Brother

I also came from a church like that, and I tell you, they don' want changes.Even clapping during worship or service is forbidden.I grew in Methodist church here in the Phils.But eventually, I move on.I love my fellow Christians there but the time came when I'm growing and my soul yearns for more spiritual food other than teaching of salvation always.See, even our spiritual life grows.It hungers for God's reality also.What I am saying here is, when you stay there, you must submit to their rules if not, and you introduce changes, you'll be persecuted just like me.What I suggest is, pray for it.Yes God has a plan for you there, but are you strong and mature enough to introduce good changes for your church.You can pray for changes there or pray for a new alive church where it can meet your spiritual needs.This is just a suggestion.God bless us. Peace is with us.