• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Hip or fancy dressing preachers...

Active
What you are saying I think, is that some people take criticism as calling them bad, even if its only actions we are speaking of. To me, thats another example of bad delivery of criticism.
Yes...and some people consider criticism as judging.... They look so similar. Can anyone spot the difference? They are very different.

judge
[ juhj ]

See synonyms for: judge / judged / judges / judging on Thesaurus.com
noun
a public officer authorized to hear and decide cases in a court of law; a magistrate charged with the administration of justice.
a person appointed to decide in any competition, contest, or matter at issue; authorized arbiter: the judges of a beauty contest.

verb (used with object), judged, judg·ing.
to pass legal judgment on; pass sentence on (a person): The court judged him guilty.
to hear evidence or legal arguments in (a case) in order to pass judgment; adjudicate; try: The Supreme Court is judging that case.

verb (used without object), judged, judg·ing.
to act as a judge; pass judgment: No one would judge between us.
to form an opinion or estimate: I have heard the evidence and will judge accordingly.

criticize
[ krit-uh-sahyz ]

See synonyms for: criticize / criticized / criticizing / criticizable on Thesaurus.com
verb (used with object), crit·i·cized, crit·i·ciz·ing.
to censure or find fault with.
to judge or discuss the merits and faults of: to criticize three novels in one review.
verb (used without object), crit·i·cized, crit·i·ciz·ing.
to find fault; judge unfavorably or harshly.
to make judgments as to merits and faults.

Active
We are told to judge among ourselves...as in the settling of disputes....Not railing on one another, saying how bad bad bad they are....None of us is in any position to judge others...situations yes but people NO
Really, would you not make a judgement of a babysitter, doctor, teacher. Would you make a judgment of the guy breaking into your home? How about a auto mechanic or a gardener but not a preacher?
The story goes June Cash once gave Ruth Graham a mink coat , Ruth used the coat for the ministry, not personal use.

Loyal
It's a tough issue to get right.

I am saddened and angered by the issue in the OP. And I believe that for the overall health of the church, this kind of behaviour should be brought into the spotlight, so we can say in a united voice: 'this is not what Jesus has called us to'.

Also, especially for the benefit of younger or impressionable believers, we should be clear that wearing designer trainers is not an indicator of Christian maturity, or God's approval. The flashy suit on stage is not necessarily closer to God than the one in crowd struggling to make rent. I know that the two things that Jesus reacted most strongly to in his earthly ministry were hypocrisy and exploitation of weaker people, and seems to me that there's quite a bit of both going on here.

So many reasons to be wise and discerning, test the spirits and be aware of what is influencing us.

But the temptation to being judgemental beyond being judicious is remarkably strong. I don't know exactly where the line is drawn and how we are to guard our own souls.

Active
@PloughBoy shared this video in Bible discussions that talks about what is in this article and has some really good points in it . He says it is probably not sin for pastors to wear these shoes, but unwise, because it distracts from the message. I've been careful since changing churches where my new pastor does touch on the prosperity gospel. It has really been an awakening experience, because I realize how I was judging hearts. I don't know if they are hypocrites. If they buy $3000 shoes but giving millions of dollars away, I am not sure if that is wrong or not. But the shoes do distract from Jesus.

Active
Really, would you not make a judgement of a babysitter, doctor, teacher. Would you make a judgment of the guy breaking into your home? How about a auto mechanic or a gardener but not a preacher?
The story goes June Cash once gave Ruth Graham a mink coat , Ruth used the coat for the ministry, not personal use.
Look The things you see in somebodys actions are not judgments...I went to my cardiologist yesterday and she was quite knowledgable on things of the heart, but when it came to diet, everything she told me was from the nineteen forties and had been disproven by the mid fifties....It was junk....So, do I throw her out as a quack? No...What she knows is not who or what she is....I made a judgment on information not the person. I can judge actions of a person, but not the person...And what a person wears....Nobodys business but their own, unless its immodest....There are many things one can judge, and do judge but we are NOT to judge the people....Its not complicated....

Active
I think only God can validate people. We don't have to guess who anyone is. God knows who these people are. He knows us. He knows everyones' hearts.

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
1 Samuel 16:7

The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching. For the Scripture says, “You shall not muzzle the ox while he is threshing ,” and “The laborer is worthy of his wages.” Do not receive an accusation against an elder except on the basis of two or three witnesses. Those who continue in sin, rebuke in the presence of all, so that the rest also will be fearful of sinning.
1 Timothy 5:17‭-‬20

I don't think it is as clear cut where a pastor's heart is wearing $3000 shoes as it is like one living in homosexuality or promotes things not of the Bible.