• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Hearing and Doing

Staff Member
But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. James 1:22 NKJV
If you’re a father, you’ve no doubt felt the frustration that comes when you tell your young child to do something…only to later find it undone. Your child’s inaction isn’t necessarily the behavior of a rebellious or disrespectful child. More likely it’s a symptom of immaturity. In other words, it’s a stage the child will likely grow out of.

In today’s verse, the apostle James calls his readers to a new level of spiritual maturity—a level at which the Christian reads and understands the commands God has given him in the Bible…and then consistently obeys them.

You can only live an unshakable life of faith when you make it your priority to read and study the Bible and then do what it says. God didn’t give you His written Word simply so you can enjoy some good literature. He gave it to you to encourage you, bless you, and strengthen you in your life of faith. When you obey what God says in the Bible, you put yourself in a position to receive everything He has promised you.

Prayer: Father, I’m usually good at hearing what You say to me in Your written Word. It’s the doing part where I too often fail. Forgive me, and help me to be a faithful doer when it comes to what scripture says to me.

But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. James 1:22 NKJV
If you’re a father, you’ve no doubt felt the frustration that comes when you tell your young child to do something…only to later find it undone. Your child’s inaction isn’t necessarily the behavior of a rebellious or disrespectful child. More likely it’s a symptom of immaturity. In other words, it’s a stage the child will likely grow out of.

In today’s verse, the apostle James calls his readers to a new level of spiritual maturity—a level at which the Christian reads and understands the commands God has given him in the Bible…and then consistently obeys them.

You can only live an unshakable life of faith when you make it your priority to read and study the Bible and then do what it says. God didn’t give you His written Word simply so you can enjoy some good literature. He gave it to you to encourage you, bless you, and strengthen you in your life of faith. When you obey what God says in the Bible, you put yourself in a position to receive everything He has promised you.

Prayer: Father, I’m usually good at hearing what You say to me in Your written Word. It’s the doing part where I too often fail. Forgive me, and help me to be a faithful doer when it comes to what scripture says to me.

Amen and Amen!

Jas 1:21 Therefore put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.
Jas 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.
Jas 1:23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror.
Jas 1:24 For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like.
Jas 1:25 But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.
Jas 1:26 If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.
Jas 1:27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

Johann

Ive been hard of hearing all my life, but as i got older its worse. What hurts me the most is when people correct your speak and laugh at you because no matter how hard to try, i cant say the word correctly because all my life i heard it one way and my speech comes out like i hear it. It really hurts me when people laugh and make fun of you. I am going to visit hearing aid store these days and get myself a first pair of hearing aids finally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Member
Ive been hard of hearing all my life, but as i got older its worse. What hurts me the most is when people correct your speak and laugh at you because no matter how hard to try, i cant say the word correctly because all my life i heard it one way and my speech comes out like i hear it. It really hurts me when people laugh and make fun of you. I am going to visit hearing aid store these days and get myself a first pair of hearing aids finally.
Dear alexiv,
I appreciate what you are going through. My wife used to think I was just ignoring her! :(
I finally went to an audiologist, and believe it or not he told me that I was losing my hearing in the frequency of which women's voice are heard! lol Needless to say my wife did not believe it nor the ladies that I worked with at the time! My wife went with me on the next visit, he saw my wife with me, and without me saying a word, he spoke to her. Saying, yes, he is losing the frequency of hearing by which women speak in, so please make sure you are looking at him, and he at you when communicating. He is not ignoring you on purpose! It took her awhile to get into that habit, but she really really tried, and understood that I was not an old meanie! :)

Sadly, I also have tinnitus, which just compounds the hearing loss issues! Ah, but in Christ, and the promises we find in God's Word, I am surely looking forward to the new bodies promised us in Christ Jesus!!! \o/

Thanks for sharing your story as well!
With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><