• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

He Remembers No More

Staff Member
For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. (Jeremiah 31:34)

When we know the Lord, we receive the forgiveness of sins. We know Him as the God of grace, passing by our transgressions. What a joyful discovery is this!

But how divinely is this promise worded: the Lord promises no more to remember our sins! Can God forget? He says He will, and He means what He says. He will regard us as though we had never sinned. The great atonement so effectually removed all sin that it is to the mind of God no more in existence. The believer is now in Christ Jesus, as accepted as Adam in his innocence; yea, more so, for he wears a divine righteousness, and that of Adam was but human.

The great Lord will not remember our sins so as to punish them, or so as to love us one atom the less because of them. As a debt when paid ceases to be a debt, even so doth the Lord make a complete obliteration of the iniquity of His people.

When we are mourning over our transgressions and shortcomings, and this is our duty as long as we live, let us at the same time rejoice that they will never be mentioned against us. This makes us hate sin. God’s free pardon makes us anxious never again to grieve Him by disobedience.

Charles Spurgeon

Active

RJ

For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. (Jeremiah 31:34)

When we know the Lord, we receive the forgiveness of sins. We know Him as the God of grace, passing by our transgressions. What a joyful discovery is this!

But how divinely is this promise worded: the Lord promises no more to remember our sins! Can God forget? He says He will, and He means what He says. He will regard us as though we had never sinned. The great atonement so effectually removed all sin that it is to the mind of God no more in existence. The believer is now in Christ Jesus, as accepted as Adam in his innocence; yea, more so, for he wears a divine righteousness, and that of Adam was but human.

The great Lord will not remember our sins so as to punish them, or so as to love us one atom the less because of them. As a debt when paid ceases to be a debt, even so doth the Lord make a complete obliteration of the iniquity of His people.

When we are mourning over our transgressions and shortcomings, and this is our duty as long as we live, let us at the same time rejoice that they will never be mentioned against us. This makes us hate sin. God’s free pardon makes us anxious never again to grieve Him by disobedience.

Charles Spurgeon
The best the Old Law could do is cover over your sins from God until the next years Day of Atonement!
Jesus is the final atonement, and he takes away your sins from God's sight. How, you will have to ask him someday!

Staff Member
So true Brother RJ!
However, did you read the entirety of Jeremiah 31:34? I think it has more of a future condition attached to it. Then for time it was written in. Try starting from v31. It really gives me the impression that it's a future condition that can easily be ascribed to the coming of the Lord and what it will be like!

What believer in Christ Jesus cannot not be comforted by v34? It also might be a good verse to share with one who is being attacked by the adversary concerning their sins, after they've come to the Lord!

Thanks for replying Brother!
YBIC
C4E

Active

RJ

So true Brother RJ!
However, did you read the entirety of Jeremiah 31:34? I think it has more of a future condition attached to it. Then for time it was written in. Try starting from v31. It really gives me the impression that it's a future condition that can easily be ascribed to the coming of the Lord and what it will be like!

What believer in Christ Jesus cannot not be comforted by v34? It also might be a good verse to share with one who is being attacked by the adversary concerning their sins, after they've come to the Lord!

Thanks for replying Brother!
YBIC
C4E
am not sure what your saying. Of course it is describing a future condition.Those verses in Jeremiah was a prophecy, then, of what has already come by the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus!
I thought the discussion was basically about God not seeing our sin now, and according to the New Covenant, he doesn't! I actually, believe that the "not seeing" is figuratively speaking of him, because of Jesus finished work, God doesn't credit us with our sin. He justifies us..."just as if we hadn't sinned"!

Staff Member
Sorry brother, misunderstanding.

When you said the following
The best the Old Law could do is cover over your sins from God until the next years Day of Atonement!

I believed you were more concerned with how it might be related to the OT Law.

Instead of
He justifies us..."just as if we hadn't sinned"!

Which is exactly right!!!

Which I can only respond with. Isn't our God awesome! :thumbsup:

Active

RJ

Sorry brother, misunderstanding.

When you said the following

I believed you were more concerned with how it might be related to the OT Law.

Instead of

Which is exactly right!!!

Which I can only respond with. Isn't our God awesome! :thumbsup:
Whew!!!!!:laugh: He sure is!

Loyal
It is very interesting that when we "confess" our sins, God is faithful to forgive us our sins, and then he will cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
I saw this many years ago that there are "two" parts to our confessing sin. When we do confess our sins to God "forgives" us. Thais the first part, the second part is and then God will "cleanse" us......
There can be no true fellowship when either party has a conscience of sins. Man shrinks back when he is in sin, and the Lords needs the cleansing power of the Blood of Christ so he will forgive us.

1 John 1:9.. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Active

RJ

:):D:laugh::thumbsup:
I like it! Some either don't agree or see this, but, as Christians, we see the finished work of Christ and the New Covenant,that through Christ, you do not find forgiveness, through Christ you are forgiven!

Staff Member
I like it! Some either don't agree or see this, but, as Christians, we see the finished work of Christ and the New Covenant,that through Christ, you do not find forgiveness, through Christ you are forgiven!

How is it said "Fait accompli " - an accomplished fact!

Loyal
If we sin willingly after knowing the truth, are those sins covered under the Blood of Jesus? Or do we have to confess them?
What about the sins we do, not knowing we are doing them, because as a Christian we do still sin.

Active

RJ

1 John 1:9.. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
This is a classic example of taking a scripture out of context and misinterpreting it.
This common misused verse of 1 John 1:9, was to a Gnostic cult, a group who did not truly believe in Jesus. John was simply telling what they must do to become a Christian. This verse was not to existing Christians that they must acknowledge and confess each subsequent sin in order to be in continued salvation.

Active

RJ

This is a classic example of taking a scripture out of context and misinterpreting it.
This common misused verse of 1 John 1:9, was to a Gnostic cult, a group who did not truly believe in Jesus. John was simply telling what they must do to become a Christian. This verse was not to existing Christians that they must acknowledge and confess each subsequent sin in order to be in continued salvation.
Here is the truth about believers:
Colossians 2:13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,

Loyal
I do not think you will find very many people to agree with your theology. Yes Jesus forgave our sins, but guess what? we still sin. Now what? Can you not continue in your un confessed sin without some kind of effect in your life? No!!! Our fellowship with God will be hindered if we sin and do not confess to him. When a Christian sins it does not mean they are now not saved, but it will bring the "discipline" of the Lord if they are not confessed.

1Co 11:31 But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged.
1Co 11:32 But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world.

Why do you think God would "discipline" us? Because we are doing good, or because we doing sin? What happens if we "judge" ours self's by confessing our sins? We will not be judged or disciplined.
You can continue in sin without confessing them and see what happens.

Active

RJ

I do not think you will find very many people to agree with your theology. Yes Jesus forgave our sins, but guess what? we still sin. Now what? Can you not continue in your un confessed sin without some kind of effect in your life? No!!! Our fellowship with God will be hindered if we sin and do not confess to him. When a Christian sins it does not mean they are now not saved, but it will bring the "discipline" of the Lord if they are not confessed.
  • So you know every single time you sin and you therefore can confess for each one?

Active

RJ

I already answered that in my previous post. If you think you can sin without confessing those sins, you greatly mistaken in your theology.
Again, and in the spirit of truth, please answer: so you recognize each and every sin you commit...every time, right?

Active

RJ

already answered that in my previous post. If you think you can sin without confessing those sins, you greatly mistaken in your theology.
No you did answer it!
Colossians 2:13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,
  • God says he forgave us of all our sins, he said nothing about he forgives us for all sins we confess!
  • So according to you and this verse, you must remember each sin and confess but if you miss just one, you are not forgiven, and you go to hell right?

Active

RJ

I already answered that in my previous post. If you think you can sin without confessing those sins, you are greatly mistaken in your theology.
The basis for the original thread started here by @Christ4Ever, that God "would look at our sin no more" is in serious conflict with your theology. Also, I guess I have at least one person on this thread that believes as I do.