• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

having trouble with our teenager.

we are having problems with our son he is 15, use to go to church, but we couldnt no longer get him to go to church anymore. he gave his life to God when he was young but walked away as he started getting into his teens.
The problems with our son has got worse, he doesnt respect us as his parents the way he talks to us, and the kinds of things he is into has not been good, we started to put down rules as he is in our house and it is the Lord in home. well just a few days ago he decided he has had enough of living with us, so he moved out and has not contacted us at all. He is with a mate and he is into drugs we are justing praying for him for God protection while he is gone, we dont know where he is staying and that is a worrie for us, but we are trusting God with him.

I will pray for your son also fair_flower. I am glad you are trusting God, for He knows where your boy is, and He will do what you cannot do! Wait patiently for
Him, and rest assured He will not leave your son alone, no matter where he goes, or how long he takes to heed His voice! Last year, my oldest boy had been to the city and had disappeared and none of his friends knew where he was, and I paced the floor most of the afternoon, until I realized my pacing wasnt going to help my boy :confused: ...so I began to pray, and finally after midnight he called and asked us to come get him. He told me later that he woke up on a bed in some house where he and some strangers had been partying, and the presence of God had come into his room so strong, and it was then he knew he had to get out of that place, and come home! As much as we as parents love
our children, God loves them so much more, and He hears and answers prayer!

May God open the eyes of your son and give you strength in your turmoil. Let Jesus light shine to the pathway home to his loving parents. I could not imagine your hurt right now. We Love you and our prayers are with you. Stay strong in Christ and trust in him. May Gods face shine upon you.

11And he said, A certain man had two sons:

12And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.

13And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.

14And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want.

15And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine.

16And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him.

17And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!

18I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,

19And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.

20And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.

21And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.

22But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:

23And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry:

24For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

25Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard musick and dancing.

26And he called one of the servants, and asked what these things meant.

27And he said unto him, Thy brother is come; and thy father hath killed the fatted calf, because he hath received him safe and sound.

28And he was angry, and would not go in: therefore came his father out, and intreated him.

29And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:

30But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf.

31And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine. 32It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

Dear Fair Flower ... I Feel Your Pain . I Also Have An Older Son Who Has Been Lost In The World For 5-years . One Thing I Have Learned Is That Because Of My Trials With My Son , I Have Also Drawn Closer To The Lord . It's O.k. To Feel Grieved Because Thats How The Father Feels For Us When We Fall Short . My Love For My Son Is Only A Fragment Of The Love God Has For His Children . Turn Your Pain Into Understanding Of Gods Love For You , And Find Hope That His Promise Is For Your Whole House To Be Saved . Proverbs Says That If You Train Up Your Child In The Ways Of The Lord , When He Is Older He Will Not Depart From It ! God Hears The Prayers Of A Grieving Mother . I Will Pray For Many Laborers Into The Path Of Your Son , And We Will Stand Together With You In Prayer For His Heart To Return To The Lord . Suffering With You In Faith ... Mike ... Brothersinarmst4g

Understand your circumstances

First I am praying for you, I dont know where you are but I have a few Ideas. Try contacting a anon group maybe someone there may be able to show him the path he has choosen. Another way may be to try and find out more about what hes involved in then talk to a detective in your Police Department or if they have a DARE program. Good luck Im praying for You.. Papa

Dear Fair flower I myself have walked a road that your son is on. I caused my parents much pain and worry. I can say that through the prayers of many I got back on the right path. I will be praying for you and your family. God Bless you.

Hi fair flower, how is your latest stand with your son? keep us updated, I do believe also, that he has to go this hard way, because he has grown up all his life with so much love, he is overfilled and doesnt know where to put it . . . i have a daughter simular situation (15) she hasnt left the house yet, but maybe it was easier because she did talk things out with me (mom). . . your son probably has to face fear and shock to realize what you protected him from the whole time, and maybe he has to fall to be picked up again in life. . . the more proud he is. . .the deeper he will have to fall. .. but God wont kill him for it. . .he will gently pick him up. . and so can you, once he will return. . . GBU parents. . .keep us updated. . . lets hang in this together, united before our God and Saviour

Hi Fair Flower, I am not a parent but my background is working with trouble youth. How is your son supporting himself for food, clothes etc? If he comes to you needing those things you have to tell him under the condition he lives at home and abides by your rules. If he is selling drugs then the natural consequence is Police involvement in his life. Please get the book by Dr. Dobson "bringing up Boys" the new revised addition. Read as much as you can on bringing up children, educate yourself. Check the internet, look into Focus on the Family.
Please keep us updated.
Michele

Fairflower,

I am praying for you and your family, may God comfort you.

Your son used to attend church and that brought to mind a couple of ideas. Frequently, as our kids get older they look to other adults for advice and counsel. They are more comfortable being open and honest with them than with you. Is there a man at your church that your son respects that would be willing to take the time to talk to him? Have you considered having a meeting with your pastor to discuss these issues?

I agree with the advice about setting boundaries and establishing consequences for behavior. While it is difficult to see your son making bad choices and suffering the consequences, we know that we become more teachable in times like that.

Keep the faith

My daughter is 13 and is starting to rebel. I am a single father so I have taken this to the Lord. You and your son will certainly be in my prayers.

God bless,
Jeff

Eurasiansensation said:
Hi Im 17 and I just wanted to tell you I think you are one great parent.I wish I had a christian parent that cared about me the way you do for your son.From ages 13-15 I had already lived with 4 different friends.I moved so much that i had gone to 5 middle schools and 5 highschools.Between the ages of 13 to 15 I was also out partying doing drugs and gone wild,but not sex like all my other friends.I grew up fast.My father has his own life with his other family which I visit sometimes.I live with my mother we have a love hate relationship.My father wasnt around when I was younger, which led to insecurities such as anorexia/bulimia nervousana but im ok now.Ive been treated horribly my whole life beat when I was little and molested.The only family I felt I had were my all the friends i lived with family's.The only real father I will have is GOD.Im glad you care about your son.If he only knew he should appreciate a parent like you.If I were to ever see HIM in person I would tell him he should appreicate parents like you and your spouse that care for him. some advice:when you tell teens to not do something, we will do it,we get the excitment being rebelious. No one forced me to become christian,it was my own choice,I didnt go to church until I was 15,and my parent resented it and critisize me for it, before calling me a hypocrite because I am not perfect Sometimes I would have to run away from the house and walk to church.People expect christians to be perfect then judge us.Its like who are you to judge.Im not sure if your son does drugs because his peers or because he feels he trapped in problems or what?Whatever it is Im sure gods power can easily help him.Ill pray for him

LOVE,dALIA

Eurasiansensation,
I was so deeply touched by your story and I wanted to tell you a few words. I am a teenager as well as you and I understand your feelings. I suffered 2 years ago of anorexia and I can say it was a horrible period of my life. I was so week, and sad and dessapointed...and all just because I wanted to hide my fears and my insecurity into my phisical appearance.Thank God that he rescued me and helped my parents to do the right thing for me!I can tell from my own experience that some people cannot understand our love for God,the devotion we have for Him;they cannot understand that we want to listen to Him in all and that's why they judge us. They do not know God, in all His kindness, mercy, majesty, grace and love!I meet every day these kind of persons. I have them in my family;even my friends criticize me and say that I'm crazy. Many people hate me, want to hurt me, but God protects me. And however, I want His will to be done,not mine!I pray the Lord that He may do with me what He wishes because my life is in His hands. I love Him and I'm ready to fight against the whole world to defend my faith!
It's very sad that you have suffered so much since a young age, but remeber that pain is the path to Heaven's gates!All people want to live a happy life on the Earth, but the Earth is a little hell. Because, what reason would have had God to take Adam and Eve away from Heaven and move them into another Heaven?
Even I have a family and friends,I must admit that the only one who knows my heart, who knows how's 'the real me' is my Lord Jesus.He knows my deepest feelings, He knows my thoughts, my pains, my joys,my torments...sometimes when all the people abandon me, I can't find other solace than praying. I am a sinner, also, as well as all the humans. But God is so merciful and covered me with so many blessings that I feel I don't deserve them. The most beautiful miracles God has done for me are 2; one is that He gave me a life and the 2nd is that He accepted me again and let my soul to be reborn!!
My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ is the One who gives me strength to endure everything and His Holy Mother Mary is my help, She caresses me and guards me every second. My faithful friend is my holy Angel, that the merciful Lord gave me when I was baptized.
I feel so sorry that nobody taught me when I was little about faith and God and so on...of course, my parents and my grandparents taught me religion, but in a shallow way. I succeded to built this relationship with God by my own, I wanted with all my heart to find Him and to discover my sense of living. We both should thank the Lord that He had shown us the way to Him!
So, have trust and keep praying!And in suffering,don't look for people's compassion.God is the only one that you need!

God bless you
Christina

fair_flower said:
we are having problems with our son he is 15, use to go to church, but we couldnt no longer get him to go to church anymore. he gave his life to God when he was young but walked away as he started getting into his teens.
The problems with our son has got worse, he doesnt respect us as his parents the way he talks to us, and the kinds of things he is into has not been good, we started to put down rules as he is in our house and it is the Lord in home. well just a few days ago he decided he has had enough of living with us, so he moved out and has not contacted us at all. He is with a mate and he is into drugs we are justing praying for him for God protection while he is gone, we dont know where he is staying and that is a worrie for us, but we are trusting God with him.

Hi Fair_Flower! May God help your son to return to the right faith, to realise how much you love him and to become an example for his friends! I do not know how to advice you because I'm just 14. But all I know is that you must trust God and pray more and more day by day. Be sure that He hears our prayers and He knows what's the best for us!
Your son must be a good person, but the only problem is that he has lost the way.I hope the Lord will lead him on the path of love and light again!

God bless you and your family!
Christina :love: