• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Having the "last word"

Loyal
Good reminder. I need to constantly ask myself, Am I in this discussion to score points and win my side of the argument, or to discern with others what God is saying?

For the record, my walk with Christ Jesus has been advanced far more by the arguments I've 'lost' than it has by those I have 'won'.

Loyal
It is better to be silent and lose (in the worlds eyes) an argument, than continue to throw your pearls before those who dont value pearls.

Staff Member
I am a slow learner and forgetful doer, all too often, realising afterwards that there is a better way....

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.
The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.
A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.

Proverbs 15:1-4

Active
I am a slow learner and forgetful doer, all too often, realising afterwards that there is a better way....

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.
The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.
A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.

Proverbs 15:1-4

Me too, brother.

It's become easier through the years for me to just shake it off and walk away.

I'm getting there slowly, but still tend to take on too much of a bulldog grip when I think I know I'm right. :smile:

Active
Good reminder. I need to constantly ask myself, Am I in this discussion to score points and win my side of the argument, or to discern with others what God is saying?

For the record, my walk with Christ Jesus has been advanced far more by the arguments I've 'lost' than it has by those I have 'won'.
Hi Hekuran, To ask that question, shows that you are an honest Person. We are told that we are all sinners and if anyone refutes it, they are liars. Once, the Lord told me I was rebelious. I was suprised, because I love the Lord and do my best to abide by his word, I asked him what he meant, and he asked me what was in my mind the moment before I committed a sin. I realised,"rebelion". As To your question regarding scoring points, I never post without sincere motives, but I have to admit, as I peruse through the home page, my eyes do tend to settle for, a moment, on whether Brother Paul or myself are leading poster of the month.

Loyal

those are words of a humble servant of the Lord, Pleasure to know you sir

Active
What to me is important is not having the last word,but rather a good final result. To me it is amazing that a few,notice I said a few,speak, never identifying with anything in there own life,but telling you how you should live?

By the time Jesus was speaking to the masses, they already saw his fruit,they knew, he knew, what he was talking about because he showed them first,then spoke.( James 1:22) This taught me much,rather then judging others( Rom 2:1-5) Holy Spirit had me consider much of verse 4 here! And so my brothers and sisters we understand and come to the true knowledge of our Jesus when we remember 2 things. 1 . ( 2Peter 3:18) and 2. ( Col 4:6).

Loyal
We live in a time when the most common thing on television is "reality" TV. I admit I have watched a few of these shows and I am convinced that almost all of them are anything but reality. Still, for whatever reason many of us are drawn into conflict. We have to watch to see how it ends, we have to see who has the last word.

I'm a big sports fan, I watch a lot of football, but lately even much of this wearies me. There is much trash talking and un-neccesary celebration when a good play is made. It seems much of sports has turned more into drama than the sport itself.

It's crept into our culture and way of life so much it's amazing.. we have reality shows about cooking, about pawn shops, building motorcycles, and even about auctions and storage bins. Why do some of us find this so intriguing?

I hate to admit it, but even here on TJ we sometimes have "reality thread posting". We forget why we came here. We should be lifting each other up and encouraging one another, and yet somehow... we are drawn in bickering, arguments, proving we are right and having to have the last word. I myself have been drawn into these situations more than once. To those I have offended on here, I sincerely ask for your forgiveness.

May we keep these verse in mind.

Rom 12:17; Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men.
Rom 12:18; If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
Rom 12:19; Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord.
Rom 12:20; "BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD."
Rom 12:21; Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

1 Thes 5:15; See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people.

Psa 34:13; Keep your tongue from evil And your lips from speaking deceit.
Psa 34:14; Depart from evil and do good; Seek peace and pursue it.

Matt 5:37; "But let your statement be, 'Yes, yes' or 'No, no'; anything beyond these is of evil.
Matt 5:38; "You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.'
Matt 5:39; "But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

Eph 4:29; Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.
Eph 4:30; Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
Eph 4:31; Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.
Eph 4:32; Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.

Matt 5:22; "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.
Matt 5:23; "Therefore if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you,
Matt 5:24; leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering.

Heb 12:15; See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled;

Maybe instead of sitting around thinking about how to have to last word or how to get even, we should be showing love for one another and praying for one another.

The way of the world at these times brother.

Hardening of hearts, people put themselves on their own throne, an always right attitude is so common today, I won't watch the reality shows, I don't have facebook that really is an attitude site. Unlike you my friend I have no interest in sport, except Formula 1, so this covid period has been bliss, no soccer, rugby, cricket, etc. I don't watch a lot of TV but find it so frustrating how every thing has to change round to show sport, giving it priority.

Good job we are all created different but one thing I am sure we can agree on, 'Thank God for Jesus'

Bless you