• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Have we lost or forgotten Honour?

Staff Member
this one's for you @B-A-C - but it is for all to join in!

How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only? John 5:44

No man can come to Me, except the Father which hath sent Me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. John 6:44

Have we (people of the planet earth) forgotten or lost what honour is?

It would appear so, looking around society.

And if we are honest, we will see much the same in the churches and without, amongst those who use the name of Christ.

Perhaps this is at least some of the reason that we see so much division and so little true botherly love?

let's think about this. (of course, let's pray and wait on the LORD as well)
---------------------------------------------

If my son learns of me and lives and does according to all I have brought him up to be, he honours me.

All that son does will be in the (same) spirit as the father.

Likewise, when the son makes friends and invites them home, the father will honour the friends as they are friends of the son.

If the son died, he would always remain in his father's love and the son's friends would remain honoured as sons.

Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. John 15:15

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me. John 14:6

Bless you ....><>

Last edited:
Loyal
Do Bible really interpret things so differently?

John 5:44; "How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God?

It seems God does give us glory from time to time. I take this verse to mean we have to do the things He requires.
We have to "seek the glory". Pursue it. The "honor" in this verse isn't about the honor we give Jesus (which we should do)
it's about the honor He gives us.

(AMPC) How is it possible for you to believe [how can you learn to believe], you who [are content to seek and] receive praise and honor and glory from one another, and yet do not seek the praise and honor and glory which come from Him Who alone is God?

(CSB) How can you believe, since you accept glory from one another but don’t seek the glory that comes from the only God?

(GW) How can you believe when you accept each other's praise and don't look for the praise that comes from the only God?

(MSG) How do you expect to get anywhere with God when you spend all your time jockeying for position with each other, ranking your rivals and ignoring God?

(NLT) No wonder you can’t believe! For you gladly honor each other, but you don’t care about the honor that comes from the one who alone is God.

Staff Member
Greetings B-A-C,

I forgot to mention in my opening post hat i said this one's for you because of the way you inspire me at times with your thoughtful threads and so I was dedicating my feeble efforts to you, as such, not singling you out or putting you up against the wall. Let the accuser do that but I do prefer not to and appreciate it if you tell me if I do.
My offering was and is because of love towards you.

back to the discussion...

This is a great verse. One of my favorites. But I'm guess I'm missing the point of what it has to do with "honor"
from God?

Perhaps you missed the whole post and singled out that verse, forgeting that it was all tied in to the whole?
If you understand the picture presented about the father and the son and the friends, you might see that the honour bestowed by the father, honouring the friends as sons, was only possible because the friends came to the father (or at least a place where he would even acknowledge them and have any value for them), entirely because they were friends of his son.

Surely you know Scriptures that relate to this?

Bless you ....><>

For the Father Himself loveth you, because ye have loved Me, and have believed that I came out from God. John 16:27

Staff Member
Greetings again,

the other option is this:

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:36

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. Mark 16:16

Bless you ....><>

Loyal
Honor means different things to different people. It would help if you listed perhaps 5 most important things you consider honorable.

Loyal
Honor means different things to different people.

I have a dictionary from nearly 60 years ago. It is funny (or not so much) how meanings of many words have changed.
Does Satan use this against us? Do we think we are "honoring", when in reality we are doing something else?

Honor to me.. means respect, esteem, prestige, recognition. It can also mean fear and awe.
Do we give our creator, the creator of the universe, the creator of mankind, the one who took our punishment proper honor?
Do we give Him respect? Recognition for what He did for us? Do we esteem Him, give Him honor and glory?

I've actually heard excuses for not doing this... "we are uncapable of giving Him the honor He deserves".

Possibly that is true. But I would ask the parents out there, have your children ever done anything special for you?
Made a card or letter for you? Drew a picture for you? Wrote a poem for you? Sang a song for you?
Made a cake, or maybe just even a sandwich for you?

Chances are... some of the words were spelled wrong, some of the colors were outside the lines.
Some of the tunes were slightly off-key. Maybe the sandwich wasn't the best tasting sandwich you ever had.
Did you hate your kids for trying? Did you berate them because it wasn't perfect? Or did you love them all the
more for trying?

Which would disappoint you more? Them never trying to do anything for you... or them trying and doing less than perfect?
Do we believe Jesus is more important than... well anything? anyone? money, fame, success?
We say we do... but how often do we put other things first? Our careers, our education, even our family?

Loyal
I have a dictionary from nearly 60 years ago. It is funny (or not so much) how meanings of many words have changed.
Does Satan use this against us? Do we think we are "honoring", when in reality we are doing something else?

Honor to me.. means respect, esteem, prestige, recognition.

Those are four things, still vague, but at least four. Who do you respect, esteem, give prestige and recognition to? Just scripture? Just your kids and your parents? Perhaps certain friends? Go out on a limb here. Speak the reasons why and when you honor God the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit. When you honor all the flawed people around you and your criteria that you logically use to determine whether or not they deserve your honor and how you would honor them and when you think they should honor you. You spoke a few examples, but you spoke of it like a 3rd party, what we should do, make it personal, thats what I usually try to do to those who care. Tell us how YOU do this, if you dont mind, I am not prying, trying to catch you in a trap of words, I just know how impersonal people can be, as if afraid of others judging us. I dont like the impersonal venue of speaking to others online, but if I think people are being personal, it always warms my soul.

As to meaning found in dictionaries, or online, or even in bible commentaries, they are some other man's voice, and I always prefer to listen to what people truly think, believe, and why.

Staff Member
Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are His.
And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.

If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart. But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes. And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, in meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; and that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

2Timothy 2:19-26

Active
Have we (people of the planet earth) forgotten or lost what honour is?

It would appear so, looking around society.

And if we are honest, we will see much the same in the churches and without, amongst those who use the name of Christ.

Perhaps this is at least some of the reason that we see so much division and so little true botherly love?

let's think about this. (of course, let's pray and wait on the LORD as well)

When I hear the word ''honor', I think of our house speaker addressing the members of parliament as ''honorable members'. When not one is honorable. As not one is a good ambassador. They are all there for their own gain. They do not consider the well being of those who put them there.

Are we good ambassadors for the Lord? Only honoring God is worthy of discussion. We could honor a wicked person and have our honor defined in relation to their terms and conditions. But as God is whom we serve, our honor is defined in terms of us fulfilling our ambassadorial duties to God.

The following comes mind regarding this:

1. Do we easily budge on our beliefs?
2. Do we always defend and quote scripture?
3. Are we peacemakers who show love. As God is love.
4. Do we put ourselves in the shoes of those beneath us. Over whom we have power. The extent to which we consider doing unto others as we would want done unto us?

Fragrance posted recently on her reluctance to remove a member from this site. That spoke to me of honor. She placed herself in the shoes of someone and asked what she would want done to her. That kind of sweetness changes a person.

I am in a 'boss' position at work. I always mess up with placing myself in the shoes of those beneath me. I am trying to apply myself to this more. We so easily assume we are good people. But we don't always place ourselves in other's shoes.

Loyal
Are we good ambassadors for the Lord? Only honoring God is worthy of discussion. We could honor a wicked person and have our honor defined in relation to their terms and conditions. But as God is whom we serve, our honor is defined in terms of us fulfilling our ambassadorial duties to God.

We are to honor our mothers and fathers. I assume thats worthy as well. And we cannot leave out loving our neighbor as ourselves and you cannot love them without giving them some honor. Honor to more than the Lord IS worthy of discussion, not sure how you can avoid it without ignoring scripture.

Staff Member
Greetings,

Only honoring God is worthy of discussion.
Honor to more than the Lord IS worthy of discussion,

The way i see it is that the second commandment is like unto the first.

Also if we leave out others, we leave out God.

So, how does honour towards others fulfil honouring God?
At the end of the day, it is about Honouring God, by keeping the second commandment.
A bit like saying that i love the Lord with all my heart but i hate my brother's guts! That does not honour God in the slightest bit.
Or, if we are dishonourable in our ways between each other, are we honouring God?

So, both ways of looking at this topic are beneficial if we don't exclude each other and so exclude Him Who died and made it possible for us to live as one, even as He and the Father are One.

Let's get back to the story of the son....

there is a treasure to be found in the Bible and it ALL belongs to God!!!!

Praise the LORD

Bless you ....><>

Loyal
"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves." Phil 2:3

Does this not oppose the selfishness of unredeemed man? Does this not direct us rather to the selflessness which Jesus lived as a man?

Staff Member
"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves." Phil 2:3
Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
Does this not oppose the selfishness of unredeemed man? Does this not direct us rather to the selflessness which Jesus lived as a man?

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: but made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: and being found in fashion as a man, He humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Wherefore God also hath highly exalted Him, and given Him a name which is above every name: that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Philippians 2:4-11

Behold, My servant shall deal prudently, He shall be exalted and extolled, and be very high.

As many were astonied at Thee; His visage was so marred more than any man, and His form more than the sons of men: so shall He sprinkle many nations; the kings shall shut their mouths at Him: for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider.
Isaiah 52:13-15

Staff Member
Greetings,

I couldn't re-read this and not bump it up. Perhaps one of the most overlooked bits of Godly advice given to the Church for dealing with and interacting with each other.

It helps to get us to the place of the only honour we can attain to

Bless you ....><>

Loyal
Greetings,

I couldn't re-read this and not bump it up. Perhaps one of the most overlooked bits of Godly advice given to the Church for dealing with and interacting with each other.

It helps to get us to the place of the only honour we can attain to

Bless you ....><>
This is what Jesus did.

He did not elevate himself above the crowd. Rather He gave Himself for the crowd taking effectively nothing for himself [for his flesh] while giving himself for us in sacrifice. Not one of us has done that in that measure. Can we do it? Alone absolutely not, but he said

"... With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:27

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." Matt 7:7-8