• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Have we been invaded By the Nominals, are they leading and growing strong in Their Proclamation into Their Agenda

Loyal
Have we enter the time of The Gentiles [heathens] flying under another "banner" Have come in?

He that reads, let him pay attention how he reads. So was it with John so may it be with us.

"How miserable those days will be for pregnant and nursing mothers! For there will be great distress upon the land and wrath against this people. ....They will fall by the edge of the sword and be led captive into all the nations.And Jerusalem will be trodden down by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.......There will be signs in the sun and moon and stars, and on the earth dismay among the nations, bewildered by the roaring of the sea and the surging of the waves.…"

Isaiah 5:5
Now I will tell you what I am about to do to My vineyard: I will take away ITS HEDGE, and it will be consumed; I will tear down ITS WALL, and it will be trampled.

Isaiah 63:18
For a short while Your people possessed Your holy place, BUT OUR ENEMIES HAVE trampled Your sanctuary. :pensive:

Daniel 8:13
Then I heard a holy one speaking, and another holy one said to him, "How long until the fulfillment of the vision of the daily sacrifice, the rebellion that causes desolation, and the surrender of the sanctuary and of the host to be trampled?"

Daniel 12:7
And the man dressed in linen, who was above the waters of the river, raised his right hand and his left hand toward heaven, and I heard him swear by Him who lives forever, saying, "It will be for a time, and times, and half a time. WHEN THE POWER OF THE HOLY PEOPLE HAS FINALLY BEEN SHATTERED, all these things will be completed."

Luke 21:25
There will be signs in the sun and moon and stars, and on the earth dismay among the nations, bewildered by the roaring of the sea and the surging of the waves.

Active
"How miserable those days will be for pregnant and nursing mothers! For there will be great distress upon the land and wrath against this people. ....They will fall by the edge of the sword and be led captive into all the nations.And Jerusalem will be trodden down by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.......There will be signs in the sun and moon and stars, and on the earth dismay among the nations, bewildered by the roaring of the sea and the surging of the waves.…"

I would offer. The Holy Spirit is not commenting or instructing that we follow after signs as a wonderment s. He calls outward Jews according to the flesh "this people" referring to them as a evil generation , natural unconverted mankind man after Adam (no faith as it is written) And not the born again righteous generation of Christ . The faith of Christ as it is written

It is why he told Nicodenmus to marvel not .Marveling or wondering is not believing prophecy as a anchor to ones soul . . .rather a sign as in never coming to end of faith (belief) .The salvation of ones soul The birth of purgatory destroying the letter of the law death as in "surely you will not die look at my beuaty and live forever. Giving the illusion there is life after our last breath and are buried with no oxygen or food to eat .

The the signs and wondering doctrine inspired from earth . A picture of the first century reformation the outward faithless Jew led captive by the work of the reformation moving the Jews into all the nations. The Holy Spirt no longer uses outward Jewish flesh in ceremonies they became as a gentile .

The promise of Joel returning to the times of Judges . . .no outward representative. Men a nd women prophets for all the nation s sent out as apostles into the whole world holding out Christ gospel of peace.

Acts 2:15-17King James VersionFor these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

The brining together of all the nations .the time Satan fell into a bottom less pit .

The fig tree cut off never to bear fruit as a metaphor used in parables ever again .A great tribulation for a outward Jew that was trusting in his flesh .One like never before or ever again. Still doing it work of restoring the government of God.( The father and Son)

Loyal
The Title Thread says:
"Have we been invaded By the Nominals, are they leading and growing strong in Their Proclamation into Their Agenda"

I will answer my own title Thread question;

Yes they have invaded the local assemblies with a type of vengeance that has made the True Child of GOD so frighten that they cannot speak out. A lot of them have become like "Peter" warming His hands by the enemy's fire, while the "Sanhedrin Counsel" leads Jesus form Judgment Hall to Judgment Hall. So it was then so it has become now! They have become ashamed, to stand up in HIS name! Even their garments has the smell of "Betrayal" in the 21st Century. And i can here from here, ELIJAH"S cry, Echoing throughout The CENTURIES;

Elijah at Horeb

"Then he came there to a cave and spent the night there; and behold, the word of the LORD came to him, and He said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?And he said, “I have been very zealous for the LORD, the God of armies; for the sons of Israel [ the church]have abandoned Your covenant, torn down Your altars, and killed Your prophets with the sword. And I alone am left; and they have sought to take my life.” [because I am telling the TRUTH] :pensive:

Yes they have invaded the "Sanctuary" and torn down GOD's altars and they have built altars to honor themselves.:pensive: And it would seem I am the only one who have the eyes to see. "The Abomination" sitting in The Holy Place! the only one, it seems, that "Laps, water like a dog":pensive:

Active
By "Nominals" I'm assuming you mean people who are Christian "in name only?" In other words....lost people? Was there ever an age when the church didn't have these people coming in? Aren't these the very people we are called and commissioned to minister to? To lead to truth?

If so, then I'd have to say that the church has always been full of such people. There is a reason why God has raised up the Fivefold Ministry in His church......Preachers, Teachers, Prophets, Apostles, AND Evangelists. ALL are for the edification and building up of the church, yet ALL have distinct callings and giftings. Some to minister to and care for the brethren....others to minister to the lost who have come seeking salvation and truth......others to give guidance and direction to the church....and still others to spread the Gospel message to places and peoples who have not yet heard the truth. There is also a reason why the Holy Spirit has given gifts to those born again....like discernment, wisdom, knowledge, mercy, and prophesy among others.....so that we who have been grafted into the Body of Christ will know, through God's guidance, how to deal with these people who come in and out from among us.
"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that ANY should perish, but that ALL should come to repentance." - 2 Peter 3:9

Loyal
By "Nominals" I'm assuming you mean people who are Christian "in name only?" In other words....lost people? Was there ever an age when the church didn't have these people coming in? Aren't these the very people we are called and commissioned to minister to? To lead to truth?

If so, then I'd have to say that the church has always been full of such people. There is a reason why God has raised up the Fivefold Ministry in His church......Preachers, Teachers, Prophets, Apostles, AND Evangelists. ALL are for the edification and building up of the church, yet ALL have distinct callings and giftings. Some to minister to and care for the brethren....others to minister to the lost who have come seeking salvation and truth......others to give guidance and direction to the church....and still others to spread the Gospel message to places and peoples who have not yet heard the truth. There is also a reason why the Holy Spirit has given gifts to those born again....like discernment, wisdom, knowledge, mercy, and prophesy among others.....so that we who have been grafted into the Body of Christ will know, through God's guidance, how to deal with these people who come in and out from among us.
"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that ANY should perish, but that ALL should come to repentance." - 2 Peter 3:9
You may assume all you want. What is that to GOD? GOD raises false teachers just like HE raise True teachers, for HIS own purpose forThe "Glorification" of HIS "Sons. Your story might be about your church. But GOD"S WORD is About THE GLORIFICATION and THE MANIFESTATION OF HIS SON and The Sons that HE has "ADOPTED" into The FAMILY of GOD, who are "Born of GOD" by birth and not By the Thoughts of a "Finite mind" that lies in a "Corrupted" creature, name "ADAM"! So you may engage all you want. It has been settle, and SEALED before The FOUNDATIONS of The WORLD" and It Has been "ORDAIN" to Be By "THE ALMIGHTY GOD" and It Cannot Be "altered" for He is "IMMUTABLE". AND HIS Will will, come to pass! And no, living or dead created creature, can change "The Course of GOD" :pensive: If you think that GOD has left The WAY of Salvation and Manifestation into the hands of a "Corrupted" creation, you have not a hint, who "GOD" is.:pensive: Nor have you paid attention who "THE GOD of ABRAHAM, ISAAC and JACOB" is, according to THE HOLY SCRIPTURE has define HIM and HIS CHARACTER.:pensive:

PS you are most welcome to Promote your church, your prophets, your ministers, your evangelists, your Apostles, Your Teachers, at your church. I have no problem. For Jesus created "The DeviL" and all that is "Created" by The Command of HIS FATHER. If GOD is Please at what HE has created, I'm please too!:eyes:

I am just a mere slave, bought with a price and I have a "Master' and HIS name is "JESUS The ANOINTED ONE" sent by GOD The FATHER to PURCHASE some but has the power to purchase all. I was sold, Bought from The "BONDAGE of SIN" and now I have a "New OWNER" not by choice, But "Chosen of GOD" and declared to be a "ADOPTED Son"into HIS FAMILY before "The FOUNDATION of The WORLD". Before There was even a "HEAVEN or HELL" before The existence of The "ANGELS" of GOD! Now who am I or shall I be, and what will I look like? GOD knows. But One thing I do know. Some of us, will "Manifest THE GLORY of GOD, throughout "ETERNITY"!

Now what your church do, is none of my business. For you and your church have your own agenda. For I am not, one of the judges at this time. But Know this:

"Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? ...Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!"

You have the right to think what ever you please, but nothing can alter "The WAYS" of GOD! Neither can any one know them.

"“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways,”declares the LORD. ...“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so My ways are higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.":eyes:

So all these "Individual Churches" may do as they please! No matter what, GOD's Will will prevail, For GOD gets the GLORY from everything that exists!:pensive:

New American Standard Bible
For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “FOR THIS VERY REASON I RAISED YOU UP, IN ORDER TO DEMONSTRATE MY POWER IN YOU, AND THAT MY NAME MIGHT BE PROCLAIMED THROUGHOUT THE EARTH.”

Note: I am not a christian. neither do i claim to be. And I am offended when called one. I do respect all christians, So will you respect me as not being one? And going against my wishes and trying to tell me, who I am.

Active
You may assume all you want. What is that to GOD? GOD raises false teachers just like HE raise True teachers, for HIS own purpose forThe "Glorification" of HIS "Sons. Your story might be about your church. But GOD"S WORD is About THE GLORIFICATION and THE MANIFESTATION OF HIS SON and The Sons that HE has "ADOPTED" into The FAMILY of GOD, who are "Born of GOD" by birth and not By the Thoughts of a "Finite mind" that lies in a "Corrupted" creature, name "ADAM"! So you may engage all you want. It has been settle, and SEALED before The FOUNDATIONS of The WORLD" and It Has been "ORDAIN" to Be By "THE ALMIGHTY GOD" and It Cannot Be "altered" for He is "IMMUTABLE". AND HIS Will will, come to pass! And no, living or dead created creature, can change "The Course of GOD" :pensive: If you think that GOD has left The WAY of Salvation and Manifestation into the hands of a "Corrupted" creation, you have not a hint, who "GOD" is.:pensive: Nor have you paid attention who "THE GOD of ABRAHAM, ISAAC and JACOB" is, according to THE HOLY SCRIPTURE has define HIM and HIS CHARACTER.:pensive:

PS you are most welcome to Promote your church, your prophets, your ministers, your evangelists, your Apostles, Your Teachers, at your church. I have no problem. For Jesus created "The DeviL" and all that is "Created" by The Command of HIS FATHER. If GOD is Please at what HE has created, I'm please too!:eyes:

I am just a mere slave, bought with a price and I have a "Master' and HIS name is "JESUS The ANOINTED ONE" sent by GOD The FATHER to PURCHASE some but has the power to purchase all. I was sold, Bought from The "BONDAGE of SIN" and now I have a "New OWNER" not by choice, But "Chosen of GOD" and declared to be a "ADOPTED Son"into HIS FAMILY before "The FOUNDATION of The WORLD". Before There was even a "HEAVEN or HELL" before The existence of The "ANGELS" of GOD! Now who am I or shall I be, and what will I look like? GOD knows. But One thing I do know. Some of us, will "Manifest THE GLORY of GOD, throughout "ETERNITY"!

Now what your church do, is none of my business. For you and your church have your own agenda. For I am not, one of the judges at this time. But Know this:

"Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? ...Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!"

You have the right to think what ever you please, but nothing can alter "The WAYS" of GOD! Neither can any one know them.

"“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways,”declares the LORD. ...“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so My ways are higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.":eyes:

So all these "Individual Churches" may do as they please! No matter what, GOD's Will will prevail, For GOD gets the GLORY from everything that exists!:pensive:

New American Standard Bible
For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “FOR THIS VERY REASON I RAISED YOU UP, IN ORDER TO DEMONSTRATE MY POWER IN YOU, AND THAT MY NAME MIGHT BE PROCLAIMED THROUGHOUT THE EARTH.”

Note: I am not a christian. neither do i claim to be. And I am offended when called one. I do respect all christians, So will you respect me as not being one? And going against my wishes and trying to tell me, who I am.
Wow. Okay, so I was just trying to figure out what you meant by “Nominals” because I don’t see that term in the Bible.
If I posted something that’s not backed up by God’s Word, please point it out.

Did God not give His church the fivefold ministry in Ephesians 4:11-13?

Are we not called and commissioned to lead the lost to salvation through Jesus Christ? -Mark 16:15-16?

Has God not given us gifts through the Holy Spirit to enable us to do the work He’s called us to do? 1 Corinthians 12:7-11

I’m not sure what I’ve said in this post that’s caused you so much offense or that has gone against God’s Word but if there’s something, please point it out….specifically. And please forgive my offense.

And I must correct you sir, God absolutely DID NOT create the Devil. That is simply false doctrine. God created the Angels to serve and to worship Him…..to include Lucifer, whomthe prophet Ezekiel called “the seal of perfection.” Lucifer fell from God’s grace of his own free will.
To claim that my God, the same God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, “created the Devil” is to claim that He created sin; and that is blaspheming the very nature of God. That sir, I will not remain quiet about.

Loyal
1. the word bible is not in "God's WORD. either.
2. And GOD the Father or His SON or APOSTLE PAUl or the very "WORD of GOD" has never mention the word church or christianity.
3.. I don't know what GOD commission you to do. You can tell me anything, just because you told me something, . honestly do you think i am going to believe it
4. Do you think i hold you accounted to believe any thing i say about GOD! Absolutely not!
5. I am no fool.
6.Honestly you think, i would believe that GOD sent you to tell me something? I got news for you, my mama did not raise a fool. and all of my children i have told them not to believe me from time they where little children do not believe a word i say about GOD, But Go to your BIBLE and search it out for yourself, Trust No man when it pertains to GOD! Call on Him yourself. If He cannot reveal Himself to you alone, you do not need that type of GOD! And their ages are 30-44, 6 of them, they are.

You cannot make me believe a single word you say about GOD. For your church, you can say anything you please, Frankly i am not concern what your church believe and what your church do, and i have absolutely nothing against your church. I am not a member there, And I am quite sure they do not want me to be.

You can spew out all your correction to me as you please, I am not apart of Your church. So that means i am not under Your "Jurisdiction" But still you try to force feed me . You are one of The rudeness christian i have met. Is that how you do "Muslims" in "AFGHANISTAN" or those who live in "North America" or any part of The West.

PS. I got news for you "There is Only ONE CREATOR" not 2 and his name is not satan! satan cannot created nothing! But he is a big liar, fuel my "Deception" And may i suggest; "Stop drinking his "kool AID" :eyes:

All right i have been kind. More kinder than you, than you been to me:eyes: You do remember what "The WORD of GOD" has said.

Douay-Rheims Bible
Carefully study to present thyself approved unto God, A WORKMAN THAT NEEDETH NOT TO BE ASHAMED, rightly handling the word of truth.

English Revised Version
Give diligence to present thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, handling aright the word of truth.

Now that is "MEAT" Strong Meat, chew it slowly, if you don't,,,, you might choke:eyes: you have been warn. But if you want to choke, I can do the "Heimlich Maneuver".:eyes:

Active
2. And GOD the Father or His SON or APOSTLE PAUl or the very "WORD of GOD" has never mention the word church or christianity.
Really? None of those mention the word “church”?
“And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” -Matthew 16:18
Those are the words of Jesus Christ my friend, straight from the Word of God. I think you should probably get your hands on a copy and start reading…then pray that God may open your eyes and heart.

And you call me rude?! That’s funny. You are the one who spouts off warnings, rebukes, and threatening remarks challenging the beliefs of others. Apparently, you’ve been doing it for quite awhile around this forum. More power to you! I’m the new guy, I don’t expect to get any respect here. God’s Word clearly tells me that I will face persecution when I speak His truths. I fully accept that. But I absolutely mean you no I’ll will, and I’m certainly not trying to “make you believe” anything.
I have not been mean, nor ugly in my interactions with you….just inquisitive and boldly speaking what’s in God’s Word. But there is a spirit of anger or bitterness about you, I will pray for you friend. Good day sir.

Loyal
“And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” -Matthew 16:18
Those are the words of Jesus Christ my friend, straight from the Word of God. I think you should probably get your hands on a copy and start reading…then pray that God may open your eyes and heart.
I have not been mean, nor ugly in my interactions with you….just inquisitive. But there is a spirit of bitterness about you, I will pray for you friend. Good day sir.
Thats is a a added word to a translation! Do you know the difference between a translation, a paraphrase and The "Original Copied Manuscript" of The WORD of GOD?

you do not know the difference between "The WORD of GOD" and a translation and paraphrase. You must have a very Cheap translation. For any Good and Excellent translation will tell you that in the beginning of The BOOK! It lets you know it is only a translation. and most are not word for word.

Keep on talking. You will get schooled. You going to cry.:pensive:

Loyal
@PloughBoy you have been speaking very aggressively in the past few days.

If you believe somebody has said something incorrect, it's easy enough to put them straight without making accusations. Gentle words can speak truth.

You owe vhustley an apology.

Loyal

And you call me rude?! That’s funny. You are the one who spouts off warnings, rebukes, and threatening remarks challenging the beliefs of others. Apparently, you’ve been doing it for quite awhile around this forum. More power to you! I’m the new guy, I don’t expect to get any respect here. God’s Word clearly tells me that I will face persecution when I speak His truths. I fully accept that. But I absolutely mean you no I’ll will, and I’m certainly not trying to “make you believe” anything.
I have not been mean, nor ugly in my interactions with you….just inquisitive and boldly speaking what’s in God’s Word. But there is a spirit of anger or bitterness about you, I will pray for you friend. Good day sir.
Sorry, VHUSLEY, for being so hard on you. One of my weakness. So please don't feel bad. I will be kind to you, from now on. :pensive:

Active
Thats is a a added word to a translation! Do you know the difference between a translation, a paraphrase and The "Original Copied Manuscript" of The WORD of GOD?

you do not know the difference between "The WORD of GOD" and a translation and paraphrase. You must have a very Cheap translation. For any Good and Excellent translation will tell you that in the beginning of The BOOK! It lets you know it is only a translation. and most are not word for word.

Keep on talking. You will get schooled. You going to cry.:pensive:
I generally read and quote the King James translation and compare/align with the Greek and Hebraic texts that are available. But thank you for the advice.

Active
Sorry, VHUSLEY, for being so hard on you. One of my weakness. So please don't feel bad. I will be kind to you, from now on. :pensive:
No apologies necessary my friend. I realize we can all get passionate about what we know and believe. No harm, no foul.

Active
Thats is a a added word to a translation!
So you think "church" is added to this verse?

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.​
(Matthew 16:18 KJV)​

What of this verse?

And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.​
(Matthew 18:17 KJV)​

And this one?

Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.​
(Acts 2:47 KJV)​

Was it "added" here too?

And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.​
(Acts 5:11 KJV)​

Here?

This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:​
(Acts 7:38 KJV)​

And what of the other ONE HUNDRED AND TEN times where the word "church" is found ?? Are all of these "added" too ?? Or is that what the Greek word ἐκκλησία actually means? If not, then pray, do tell... what does the word ἐκκλησία actually mean?

Do you know the difference between a translation, a paraphrase and The "Original Copied Manuscript" of The WORD of GOD?
Which "WORD of GOD" ?? When you say, "The WORD of GOD," which Word are you speaking of? (You would understand the question if you read Greek.) And there are some of us who actually read this "Original Copied Manuscript" you know...

Rhema

Note: I am not a christian.
Well ain't that the ever luvin' truth.

Staff Member
Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul: and when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
Acts 11:25-26

And Barnabas went forth to Tarsus, to seek for Saul, and having found him, he brought him to Antioch, and it came to pass that they a whole year did assemble together in the assembly, and taught a great multitude, the disciples also were divinely called first in Antioch Christians.
- YLT

And he was going to Tarsus to seek Shaul; and when he found him, he brought him with him to Antiakia, and they were assembling together for a full year with the church and they taught many people. From that time, the disciples were first called Christians by the Antiochenes.
- The Peshitta Holy Bible Translated

My dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful test you are suffering, as though something unusual were happening to you. Rather be glad that you are sharing Christ's sufferings, so that you may be full of joy when his glory is revealed. Happy are you if you are insulted because you are Christ's followers; this means that the glorious Spirit, the Spirit of God, is resting on you. If you suffer, it must not be because you are a murderer or a thief or a criminal or a meddler in other people's affairs. However, if you suffer because you are a Christian, don't be ashamed of it, but thank God that you bear Christ's name.

The time has come for judgment to begin, and God's own people are the first to be judged. If it starts with us, how will it end with those who do not believe the Good News from God? As the scripture says,

“It is difficult for good people to be saved;
what, then, will become of godless sinners?”

So then, those who suffer because it is God's will for them, should by their good actions trust themselves completely to their Creator, who always keeps his promise.
1Peter 4:12-19

Active
And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
Glad to see you covered this, and with a verse, even, that has both church and Christian in it. (A twofer !!)
I had thought about it, but then decided to make that point later.
Interesting, though, that "Christian" was intended to be derisive.

The word is used three times in the New Testament, and each time as a term of reproach or derision. Here in Antioch, the name Christianos was coined to distinguish the worshipers of the Christ from the Kaisarianos, the worshipers of Caesar. The city of Antioch in Syria had a reputation for coining nicknames.
- Wuest, Kenneth Samuel (1973) pg. 19. Wuest's word studies from the Greek New Testament

As a bonus, Christians were called Atheists because they did not believe in the gods.

I will admit, though, that I'm puzzled about where PloughBoy is going with this.
Possibly intrigued.

Rhema

BTW - the Greek word is Χριστιανός, which is transliterated as Christianos ( Latin - Christiani ). In case you receive objections to that.

Loyal
Three passages with the word "Christian" are

1 Peter 4:16
Acts 26:28
Acts 11:26

I'm not sure that the word was intended to be derogatory, but certainly it was the word that people outside the church gave to the believers. I think the insiders' name was "followers of the way". In any case, in nearly 2000 years, the word "Christian" has lost any negative shade - it just means someone who follows Christ.

On the word "church" in the Bible. The Greek word is "ekklesia" and it's better translated "congregation" or "assembly". "Church" has its roots in the germanic word "Kirke".

the Darby translation has Matthew 16:18 as

"I also, I say unto thee that thou art Peter, and on this rock I will build my assembly, and hades' gates shall not prevail against it."

Anyway, I happily describe myself a as Christian who belongs to a church. If I need to be theologically precise, I'll use "congregation" instead, but not often.

Staff Member
Interesting, though, that "Christian" was intended to be derisive.

As with most available material these days, there are a number of different takes on the 'how and why' regarding the naming of the Believers/Saints as Christians.
What we often tend to do is strain at gnats and swallow mountains.

Imagine the jeerers, though.... hey you! hey look at him... he's a Christ-ian! One of those Christ people!! You, know, the ones who believe in Christ! Have you heard? There are heaps of them now. AND they don't even differentiate between Jews and Greeks... in fact they are so strange that they welcome anyone and all seem so happy... even when we mock them!! HEY, Christian!!! How does it feel? {imagine being one of THEM!!!} ✝