• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Happy 4th of JULY (FREEDOM!!!)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Active
Happy 4th of July everyone,

Hoping everyone had a wonderful 4th of July weekend. I pray everyone
had safe travels and had a blessed fellowship with your friends and families.
As you were enjoying the great food, possibly some music, and hopefully definitely
some fun, did you pause to wonder why we celebrate the 4th of July?
Well as most know, this is the day set apart of celebrate our independence as a
country. The word freedom comes to mind for many Americans when we think of
the 4th of July. Freedom is a theme that all Americans are aware of. From our motto
("Land of the free, home of the brave") to the preamble of our Constitution ("We hold these truths
to be self-evident that all men are created equal and have been endowed by their creator
with certain unalienable rights, including, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness
"), the concept
of freedom permeates the very fabric of what it means to be an American.

So what is true freedom? We'll true freedom is being truly free to do the right thing. Unfortunately
society sometimes paints the picture that freedom means doing whatever you want to do without
boundaries or restraint. My friends, that isn't freedom, that is chaos and recklessness. One of
my favorite writers the apostle Paul sums it up wonderfully when he said, "You, my brothers and
sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve
one another humbly in love. For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command:
"Love your neighbor as yourself."
(Galatians 5:13-14). Simply put, true freedom doesn't
mean you now get to do whatever your inner most desires are, but, you have the power, strength,
and desire to do the right thing. When there is nothing to hold you back from doing the right thing, not
even your own personal selfish desires, you are truly free.

This is a valuable concept that many can benefit from learning.
For those who still may be hesitant to embrace this counter-culture definition of freedom that
I have put forth, look no further than your local public safety complex for persuasion.
Locked down facilities are the prime antheisis(opposite) of what it means to be free.
We the see prisons and jails that are filled to capacity with many people who wrongly
used their freedoms to do whatever they wanted without regard for others.
They thought they were free but mentally were really in an internal bondage to their own
desires which consequently led to external bondage in a jail cell. Whenever freedom is miss-used,
bondage will be soon to follow. True freedom my friends is a path that leads to loving others by which ones exercises
self control whereby allowing the freedom to continue. I thank God for our great country and for the freedoms
we enjoy in this nation. May we continue to stay truly free by loving others and let us encourage
our others to do the same.