• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Gun Violence and Gun Control

Gun Violence and Gun Control

I want to start out by saying that I am not a gun enthusiast or a gun collector and I have no personal stake in this argument. I just want to bring up two points that seems to be lost in all of the frustration and anger resulting from this debate. There are two questions we need to consider:

1. Would new gun laws actually resolve the current problems?
  2. Is this recent rise in gun violence directly related to the abundance of guns?

1) Gun Laws: There are two types of gun control laws that could be enacted:

• Add extra criminal charges and more prison time when a gun is used in a crime.
  • Eliminate purchasing loopholes and make it much harder to purchase a gun.
We already have extremely strict penalties regarding using guns in criminal encounters. These laws help deter gun use in certain types of crimes and I’m not opposed to adding stiffer sentences to these crimes. However, a person intent on murder (or mass murders) is not going to be concerned about facing additional years in prison because he used a gun. He already is facing the death penalty or life in prison.

This only leaves the option of enacting laws designed to keep guns from these people in the first place. Apart from any Constitutional arguments, is it even realistic to think that this would work? Restricting gun access might work if the U.S. didn’t have many guns in the first place and we could restrict guns from coming across our borders.

Even if the U.S. didn’t have many guns, we would never be able to keep new guns from crossing our very porous borders. Remember, we are almost powerless in stopping drugs and illegal immigrants from crossing our borders. Even with all of our security concerns after 9/11, we still have not been able to seal up these borders.

As of 2007, there were over 270 million civilian guns in the U.S (Small Arms Survey 2007 p. 67). We are not even talking about military or law enforcement guns. Do we really think that all of these civilian guns are owned by upstanding law-abiding citizens? No, it is estimated that around 75 to 100 million of these guns are owned by the criminal underworld or by people who could not pass the current background checks. In addition, millions of guns are currently available on the black market. For all practical purposes, buying an illegal gun is just as easy as buying illegal drugs.

Yes, it is true that many of the recent high-profile shootings were done with guns that were purchased legally. However, is that really the issue? Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that we are able to enact laws that would completely close off all loopholes for the sales of legal guns. Only solid law-abiding citizens can now purchase guns. Let’s also say that we don’t have over 230 thousand guns stolen from homes every year (Bureau of Justice Statistics, November 8, 2012).

Do you really think that a person who is bent on murder would have a moral dilemma about buying an illegal gun from the black market instead of through legal channels? Unless you can effectively eliminate the sales of guns in the criminal under-world, new gun control laws will be virtually ineffective. Yes, these laws would make us feel good, but they would be unproductive.

2) The reason for the recent gun violence:

Is our recent increase in gun violence a result of a recent surplus of guns? No, the United States has always had an abundance of guns, but we have not always had this level of violence or gun violence. Violence, especially gun violence has increased significantly over the past several decades. If the abundance of guns is not the source of this violence, what is the source?

For whatever reason, there has been a marked shift in the stability of our society. A large number of people are now developing a tendency toward violent outbursts. Their ability to control these outbursts also seems to be diminishing. In addition, a large number of people have taken on the mindset that they don’t need to follow “normal social behavior.” What is causing this shift? I’m sure there are many factors involved in this problem, but I would like to offer a partial explanation.

We are all governed by various sets of values. Some of these values are hard wired within us, such as the feeling that it is wrong to lie, steal, rape, and murder. Other values have been instilled in us by our parents, schools, and community, such as work ethics, cultural expectations, etc. As we grow up we begin to realize that some of these values are man-made and we start to wonder if we need to keep them. Some of these values are discarded while others are kept.

Despite all of these changes, the person still feels that certain behavior is inherently right or wrong. However, what would happen if the person would be continually bombarded with the teaching that there are no absolute truths, no universal standard of right or wrong? Well, basically, he will begin to feel that no behavior is inherently good or bad, nothing is really wrong. He would feel that he can basically do whatever he wants. He would be free to pursue whatever would profit him the most.

Now, couple this mindset with a person who is extremely angry. Normally, when a person is angry, his actions are governed by a value system that prohibits certain anti-social actions. However, when a person believes that there are no absolute values of right or wrong, then there is nothing to hold him back. An extremely angry person who has no anti-social restrictions is capable of doing almost anything. They are hurting deep inside and they want others to hurt. Hurting a large number of people becomes one of their consuming desires.

If the shift in society is the real reason why we have an increase in gun violence, especially the high-profile school shootings, then gun control or even gun elimination will not make any significant difference in the violence we are experiencing. Violent people will simply find a new weapon of choice. If a person wants to harm other people, he will find a way to do it.

If clubs were the only weapons available, this angry person would use a club to try to beat to death as many people as possible. If there are no other people nearby who also have clubs, he will probably be able to hurt or kill a large number of people. As a general rule, any weapon can be used as a weapon of mass murder if there are no other weapons nearby to stop him.

Many people will disagree with me. They will argue that eliminating guns will eliminate the ability to quickly attack a large number of people. While it is true that guns are quick and convenient, other weapons can also be used to attack large groups of people in a short period of time. The stabbing of 14 people at the Lone Star Texas Community College two weeks ago is proof of this. If guns were eliminated, knifes or machetes could easily take their place. Machetes have been used in numerous attacks at school. Following is a quick list of attacks at schools where machetes were used.

• 1977, a man kills five people in El Socorro
  • 1996, a man slashed seven people in a primary school in England
  • 2001, a man brutally slashed nine people in Pennsylvania
  • 2010, a man in Nanping China hacked 13 children, killing 8
  • 2011, a student was killed in South Africa
  • 2012, a man in Guangxi China hacked 16 people in a private day care, killing 3
  • 2012, a man in Guatemala City killed two children

The only reason why we have more shootings at school verses stabbings is because guns are currently the weapon of choice. If guns were eliminate the violent people would simply move to a new weapon of choice.

IMHO ...the reason our forefathers broke off from tyrany was to be able worship as they so chose ..after this move we developed the constitution to help establish a more perfect union . They included the right to bear arms because they knew an armed public would not stand for dictatorship and any body before trying would think twice...about taking personal freedoms including worship from them ever again ...the problem here lies when I was a boy I was taught that guns were used to hunt and provide ....now our kids at a time when they are most influenced ,looking for control of emotions are taught to vent through third party shooter games ,when they react its only natural now to pick up a gun instead of a bible ...greed and lack of interest motivate this ...just like the devil to take something useful and good and pollute it to destructive reasoning......the original idea was good now it's an Ishmael ....Rev

Last edited:
Ice & Fire: Very well written, and excellent statement of facts, great conclusion.

farout

The were armed while rebuilding the walls in Nehemiah. The important thing to remember as Christians weapons are used in defence only. I will not go offensive and murder someone who performs an abortion but come at me or a loved one with intent to kill or do more harm than a fist can do and ill put 3 rounds center mass. And no, I'm not military and I don't agree with going overseas and killing people for their resources, regardless of their religion.

If you really want to kill someone there are 100's of ways to do it without a gun. But I was even surprised when we were given steel steak knives on a flight recently instead of the usual plastic knife and fork. Regarding gun control the 'cat's out of the bag' so to speak, and nothing practical or financially sensible can be done about it. More needs to be spent on mental health and the psychological reasons why people pick up guns and shoot other people. That includes the 24-hr a day violent video-gamer and the ex-military servicemen and women who come home from war with mental health issues. If there are any gun control laws they need to be targeted at the people who are more likely to use them in the wrong way and not taking away guns from the law abiding citizens.

Last edited:
In the old west , it was said that the colt revolver made all men equal.

Consider
Your 70 year old mother and father verses three teen age boys who need drug money.

Last edited:
I am not a member of the NRA. (yet) Look at the gun control laws in Canada, then tell me we need gun control like that ! Guns's can be bought from friends, out of the news paper, gun show's, and no record of the purchase, and no back ground sear5ch is made. Honest people do things legally and above board. If a person needs a gun for some illegal purpose I feel that buying a gun is the least of their concerns. The biggest problem si Gun Show's ! they do not do anything but take your money and give you the gun.

The biggest problem is our Senator's and Representatives, who refuse to take action with the guns hows. There is huge money spent to assure that Gun Show's do not have to do background check's. If we want genuien effective laws than get your congress person to vote in favor of Gunn Control of Gun Shows.

However no matter what the laws are, how deep the background laws are, peope bent on needing a gun will always be able to get a gun. I have read few if any gun's used in a evil act were registered to the person doing the evil deed. Under NO circumstance will surrender my rifle's ! I don't live in the city, and I don't hunt ! We live in a very isolated area, we have had more that five murder's within a 20 mile area in 10 years. This is reason enough for us as far as I am concerned.

Here is a good idea, when you go to a farm or isolated area, honk your horn to get attention, DO NOT GET OUT AND WALK AROUND. By honking your horn you will raise attention and if someone wants to come out they will, otherwise if no one comes ou,t leave. People is farm and isolated areas live out there for a reason. We learned this the hard way, before we moved where we live now.

I hope this gives a different way to look at things and how to be a neighbor and not someone set on doing wicked acts.

farout

The biggest problem si Gun Show's ! they do not do anything but take your money and give you the gun.

The biggest problem is our Senator's and Representatives, who refuse to take action with the guns hows. There is huge money spent to assure that Gun Show's do not have to do background check's. If we want genuien effective laws than get your congress person to vote in favor of Gunn Control of Gun Shows.

actually vendors still run a back ground check as required at gun shows, i know as i've purchased guns at gun shows. if you meet someone at a gunshow and choose to make a trade private party you can leave the gun show and make the trade. It is important for the seller to print a bill of sale so he can have a paper trail.

people do not even purchase guns private party to commit crime. gun violence is generally from stolen guns or guns that are already illegal to own, yet criminals still obtain them from mexico, ect.

the point of more gun legeslation currently is 2 fold 1) it is taking focus off of other unconstitutional bills being pushed under the radar, and 2) it is creating more tension between the right and left

without people fighting over the 2 opposing factions (who funny enough serve the same master, lucifer) the people in charge run the risk of the masses lifting their eyes from each other, and seeing the extreme evil that is being done in plain daylight in front of our faces.

It is upon recognizing that American politics has fallen from a check and balances "we the people" ideal to a global enterprise that one realizes the necessity for as many armed citizens as possible.

We as Christians cant legislate sin. people will murder, people will be homosexuals, people will kill babies, because that is what we deserve for failing to preach them the gospel. ouch, i hurt myself with that one.

actually vendors still run a back ground check as required at gun shows, i know as i've purchased guns at gun shows. if you meet someone at a gunshow and choose to make a trade private party you can leave the gun show and make the trade. It is important for the seller to print a bill of sale so he can have a paper trail.

people do not even purchase guns private party to commit crime. gun violence is generally from stolen guns or guns that are already illegal to own, yet criminals still obtain them from mexico, ect.

the point of more gun legeslation currently is 2 fold 1) it is taking focus off of other unconstitutional bills being pushed under the radar, and 2) it is creating more tension between the right and left

without people fighting over the 2 opposing factions (who funny enough serve the same master, lucifer) the people in charge run the risk of the masses lifting their eyes from each other, and seeing the extreme evil that is being done in plain daylight in front of our faces.

It is upon recognizing that American politics has fallen from a check and balances "we the people" ideal to a global enterprise that one realizes the necessity for as many armed citizens as possible.

We as Christians cant legislate sin. people will murder, people will be homosexuals, people will kill babies, because that is what we deserve for failing to preach them the gospel. ouch, i hurt myself with that one.

I read tonight, Imperial President Berry Serento Obama (real name) better known as B. H. Obama, will sign a gun law on June 3rd 2013. If ever we need to pray for a man it is Mr. Obama.

I am an elderly person, and I feel deeply concerned for those younger that 30 years old. These people will live in a world I don't care to see. By then perhaps hmosexuality might be fully the norm, or you must register as a hetrosexual. I can say, I never thought I would ever see our government change as much as it has in the last five years, and not for the goo !. I must go I am getting all worked up. I might have to take a nitro if I get too wraped up in politics and that's a sressful thing on us old folkes, don't ya know.

farout

Last edited:
Loyal
Responding to this from the UK. Interesting to see how the debate seems to be so sharply divided. Of course gun control cannot address the problem of the sinful human heart. But legislation could help restrict access to lethal weapons and limit the potential for destruction.

Shouldn't we be looking at addressing the issue from every possible angle rather than polarising one or the other? People who feel loved and have hope for their future do not tend to carry out such destructive actions. Wise legislation, education, supportive and supported families, good job prospects, strong and caring communities, experience of repentance and forgiveness, and more all have a part to play.

As well as preaching the gospel we should be living it out in every part of our personal and community lives.

When alcohol became illegal the only people who had it were distillers and criminals. If guns become illegal the only people who will have them are gun manufacturers and criminals. (And law enforcement/military.) There would be more criminals with firearms than the law-abiding citizens who need protection from them. The idea that the police will be sufficient to protect everyone is a joke. Rarely are police at the scene of a crime when it happens. Read Luke 22:35-38. Then Jesus asked them, "When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?" "Nothing," they answered. He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. It is written: `And he was numbered with the transgressors' ; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment." The disciples said, "See, Lord, here are two swords." "That is enough," he replied.

the United States has always had an abundance of guns, but we have not always had this level of violence or gun violence. Violence, especially gun violence has increased significantly over the past several decades

IceAndFire - the problem with your initial statement is your entire premise: it is patently untrue that gun violence has increased significantly over the past several decades. It has, in fact, not increased at all. It has actually significantl decreased. Nominally, relatively, overall -- in every way.

Please read this: Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware | Pew Social & Demographic Trends and consider reorganizing your conclusions?

You're not alone -- this is a major misperception across the board, and our politicians who make the laws are no exception. Similar to our new health-care laws...we pass laws based on some sort of ideology or "feeling" or belief that is largely inaccurate, skewed through our various filters, generally causes a whole set of new problems than those it purports to fix (thus, increasing job stability for the business of...yes...more lawmaking down the road!), and designed to keep the elected officials viewed as hero's within their varying constituencies.

It's just that it ignores the facts.

I'll spare you from further op-ed on my part, and simply suggest you go out and buy yourself a firearm or two.

...so that you can address the latter part of your question: gun control. And the answer to that is practice, practice, practice!!