• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Good works, not good enough

Loyal
we do not do good works in order to receive salvation !!

we do good works because we have salvation !!

James 2:14-17
What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

James 2:26
For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.

Good works are not the cause of salvation they are the results of salvation !!

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Because nothing we do will ever be good enough to earn our way to heaven !

Active
Hallelujah you got it!
Jesus has already paid the price for us to enter His Kingdom. So no we dont have to 'earn our way'. There is no entrance fee.

Active
Hallelujah you got it!
Jesus has already paid the price for us to enter His Kingdom. So no we dont have to 'earn our way'. There is no entrance fee.

There is no entrance fee for us: salvation is a free gift. But our free gift cost God everything: the torturous death of His only begotten Son.

Active
Aren't you taking it a step in the wrong direction?
If we are good because He is in us, wouldn't we be bad because He is NOT in us?
I am sorry and I mean no disrespect but your questions are silly, If you really want a reply to these , with scripture, I will gladly respond!

Active
I am sorry and I mean no disrespect but your questions are silly, If you really want a reply to these , with scripture, I will gladly respond!
If, as you posted without scripture, we are good because He is in us, who is in those that are bad?
Eph 2:2 provides the answer..."Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:"

Active
If, as you posted without scripture, we are good because He is in us
You just don't get it! We are not good but he who is in us, is!
God does not look at good and bad like man which can and does choose who is good and bad by their standards but, God is spirit and none of us are good, not one of us spiritually. Anything we have to offer, would be as filthy rags to God.
who is in those that are bad?
I am not sure to which you are referring to but in God's realm, basically the only good is Christ inside those "Born Again"....If you re not born again and therefore a non-believer, then there is nothing good in you and that would be bad!

Active
You just don't get it! We are not good but he who is in us, is!
God does not look at good and bad like man which can and does choose who is good and bad by their standards but, God is spirit and none of us are good, not one of us spiritually. Anything we have to offer, would be as filthy rags to God.
I hope you aren't saying that the dead to sin, born of God's seed, lovers of Go above all else are not "good".
Those that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. (Gal 5:24)
Those that are Christ's walk in the Spirit, and not in the flesh. (Rom 8:1)

I am not sure to which you are referring to but in God's realm, basically the only good is Christ inside those "Born Again"....If you re not born again and therefore a non-believer, then there is nothing good in you and that would be bad!
Those that have the Spirit of God residing in them are "good".
Their old selves have been killed and a new creature has taken it's place.
There is no Christ in the wicked.

Active
I hope you aren't saying that the dead to sin, born of God's seed, lovers of Go above all else are not "good".
Those that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. (Gal 5:24)
Those that are Christ's walk in the Spirit, and not in the flesh. (Rom 8:1)

I respectfully have nothing further to add....God Bless your understanding!

Loyal
Aren't you taking it a step in the wrong direction?
If we are good because He is in us, wouldn't we be bad because He is NOT in us?
Almost, but not quite! If we have both the new man and the old man in us, we will be good or bad according to whom we are following:

Loyal
If, as you posted without scripture, we are good because He is in us, who is in those that are bad?
Eph 2:2 provides the answer..."Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:"
But does not James tells us that sometimes believers are the children of disobedience?

"But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?"James 3:8-11

Ought not to be, but too often is!

Loyal
Or is it that with the receipt of the Holy Spirit in us, we have an opportunity now to do right what Adam and Eve did wrong in the Garden of Eden? We are not good, but we have something good within us that is willing and able to kill the evil within us. We must learn to surrender to and follow the "Good" within...

"And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God." Mark 10:18

Consider:

"When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.
Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished.
Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation." Matt 12:43-45

Active
But does not James tells us that sometimes believers are the children of disobedience?

"But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?"James 3:8-11

Ought not to be, but too often is!
Yes believers are not perfect yet, that will come. Those who are truly 'Born Again" and think they are now perfect live under a bondage of untruth!

Active
1 John 3:9 9 No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
  • This verse is so misused for deceiving purposes
  • It happens but seldom can you translate a verse directly
  • Being "Born Again" you no longer willfully or practice sin but the human side of you will sin to some degree
  • Being born anew, God's seed dwells in you spiritually and that side of you, God does not see your sin. In fact, bring Born Again, God justifies you....just as if you never have sinned!